2019 Talladega I -- Geico 500 -- Pre-Race Thread

And I totally forgot we're at a pack track / plate track / whatever track, which means I'll only care for parts of it. I love that plate racing satisfies the casuals and draws in a lot of people, it's not my cup of tea.

And I totally forgot we're at a pack track / plate track / whatever track, which means I'll only care for parts of it. I love that plate racing satisfies the casuals and draws in a lot of people, it's not my cup of tea.
I'm hoping the changes made will reduce the size of the packs and there will be enough difference in the individual cars for them to separate some.

I'm hoping the changes made will reduce the size of the packs and there will be enough difference in the individual cars for them to separate some.

Will there even be a pack? I mean other than the fact they’ll all be completely full throttling it which should keep it close, I can’t imagine a true pack of cars

On my drive into Philly this morning I intentionally went below the yellow line advancing my position in traffic. No penalty.

I'd like to see them nix that rule at Dega and Daytona. If they don't want them passing, don't pave it. I'd have to do a search of YouTube to find the number of times that act has caused a wreck. I'm guessing that a man with missing fingers could count that number with a single hand. Let em race.

Or give drivers like Tony a pass through penalty for intentionally trying to force another driver below the line. On the other hand just drop all those controlling rules and let the drivers sort it out like the old days.

I'm interested to see how this new rules package works out, especially with the plates gone. We'll still see more pack racing, but I'm not sure if there will still be big packs except at the start of the race and on restarts. The biggest thing I want to see is if a driver can pass without much aid from the draft. The tapered spacer is supposed to give more throttle response. We'll have to see if that helps any with passing.

On my drive into Philly this morning I intentionally went below the yellow line advancing my position in traffic. No penalty.

I'd like to see them nix that rule at Dega and Daytona. If they don't want them passing, don't pave it. I'd have to do a search of YouTube to find the number of times that act has caused a wreck. I'm guessing that a man with missing fingers could count that number with a single hand. Let em race.
Find the video where Mike Skinner forced Tony Stewart into the grass and caused a big one. That's where the rule came from.

The yellow line helps the leader block - blocking isn't racing.

Rumble strips like they put on highways to wake you up.

Super sticky small orange cones that stick to your car like barnacles if you hit them and mess up your aero.

Genetically mutated Grass that slows you down, mixed with multi-colored synthetic spongy gravel that flies up like a rainbow while it safely stops you.

On the topic of blocking and what race series will primarily use to control/prevent it -- comes down to preference:

would you rather have an active Race Control/Stewards calling balls and strikes during a race and penalizing (by radio, flagging, or both) blocking and avoidable contact?

OR

would you rather have NASCAR with drivers using bumpers and quarter-panels to deal with blocking by use of avoidable contact, with Race Control taking a more passive role?

Barstool Sports is holding true to their word. Coming to Dega this week!

Sweet Home hauler parking, where the sky's werent so blue

Reactions: Pat
I should be watching a NASCAR Truck Race from Talladega tonight

instead of a Man v. Food-athon...

I should be watching a NASCAR Truck Race from Talladega tonight

instead of a Man v. Food-athon...
There isnt a truck race from Talladega taking place to watch, lucky for you.

Back
Top Bottom