2019 Talladega I -- Geico 500 -- Pre-Race Thread

Jeff Gluck‏Verified account @jeff_gluck
Matt DiBenedetto says the runs come so quickly in this package, the leader won’t be able to do that block-and-defend thing (like Reddick in Xfinity). He said his spotter can barely spit out what’s happening before it takes place. Happens much quicker than before.
Kyle Busch: “Hopefully tomorrow I’ll just be able to walk out of here at the end of the day. That’d be nice.”

How about that. Cowboy hat is on the pole

upload_2019-4-27_17-2-4.png

Matt DiBenedetto says the runs come so quickly in this package, the leader won’t be able to do that block-and-defend thing (like Reddick in Xfinity). He said his spotter can barely spit out what’s happening before it takes place. Happens much quicker than before.
Kyle Busch: “Hopefully tomorrow I’ll just be able to walk out of here at the end of the day. That’d be nice.”
Awesome to know!

How about that. Cowboy hat is on the pole

View attachment 40202
Deck lid confiscation and all.

Oy, this thread gave me a quick headache. If only some of ya'll knew what actually goes on in the 'mobile boardroom' during events. I'm a regular in the one in my world...and I'm meeting with a series president at our next race to go over some things with them.

Doesn't mean that NASCAR knows what they are doing, but they do it well.

Even i could have told them adding a wicker would increase speeds. It makes the 'bubble' bigger, reducing drag on the following cars, allowing to push the front car faster.

Nascar knows what they are doing, thanks to the drivers ability to adapt on the fly

Great seeing NASCAR at Talladega with blue skies and what looked like a good sized crowd for Xfinity. A few single-file runs -- but otherwise a fun race to watch with some good action. Tomorrow looks like it could be a lot of fun with this package.

Maybe NASCAR should ban single file and legalize the bump draft... :)

The untested package is well ......basically untested. I hope all the drivers can walk away at the end of the day, and the fans too. I figure the day will be a success if that happens.

God, I wish I could disagree with you. I cannot. I am uneasy about tomorrow. I have never had that feeling. Ever.

Meanwhile on the Nascar Dega thread, Cowboy Hat takes the first one, don't understand Boyer who qualified third picked right behind him.

D5MudBzWAAA2Cr_.jpg:large

God, I wish I could disagree with you. I cannot. I am uneasy about tomorrow. I have never had that feeling. Ever.

The drivers will adapt, they always do. The scrap will get hauled away and they can go back to the business of racing. Kyle Busch comment something along the lines of " I hope I can walk away " or something to that effect. The unintended consequences of major aero changes will be interesting to watch. Stuff sticking up blocking air creates drag .......... but it does other things as well. I recall years ago, our sanctioning body made us run 12 inch square front number plates on our flat track bikes, I played around with mountings until I got the plate to bend at speed and still be legal at inspection, its fun playing with that stuff

The drivers will adapt, they always do. The scrap will get hauled away and they can go back to the business of racing. Kyle Busch comment something along the lines of " I hope I can walk away " or something to that effect. The unintended consequences of major aero changes will be interesting to watch. Stuff sticking up blocking air creates drag .......... but it does other things as well. I recall years ago, our sanctioning body made us run 12 inch square front number plates on our flat track bikes, I played around with mountings until I got the plate to bend at speed and still be legal at inspection, its fun playing with that stuff

To me....messing around with that number plate is so damn cool. I love that stuff.
Kyle's comment has me spooked. I am thinking that tomorrow will be very difficult for Samantha.

To me....messing around with that number plate is so damn cool. I love that stuff.
Kyle's comment has me spooked. I am thinking that tomorrow will be very difficult for Samantha.

I had fun with it, and it was an advantage ........ unlike the spoiler on the 4 car. I hear that the 3 keeps the pole and the pit stall after the potentially illegal deck lid ? WTF

I had fun with it, and it was an advantage ........ unlike the spoiler on the 4 car. I hear that the 3 keeps the pole and the pit stall after the potentially illegal deck lid ? WTF

Yeah, I am struggling with the 3 thing as well. Got me. :idunno:

Number plate is seriously cool man.

Is there a Talladega parade tonight where the drivers participate?

Seems to me, Dega and Daytona you wrap an extra layer of padding around your legs just to be on the safe side. Especially your left leg. And make damn sure your HANS is clipped in solid.

(Have had dad's clips come unthreaded from the carbon helmet a couple times now. If they can do that in 50 passes, i can't imagine 500 miles)

Sounds like 1980 style racing. I'm all for it. 30 cars running at end of race. Maybe ten on lead lap. Others laps down. Quite possibly way less wrecking cause the fast guys will always rise to the top. Or it will be a HUGE cluster**"*. Either way second race of the year for me. It's entirely up to the drivers to adapt. Forget blocking. Learn to use the draft. Nobody in this race has EVER actually used DRAFTING in the original form. If they can just survive the first 450 miles then take the best finish possible. This race won't win the championship. But sure can end your chance. It's one race.

Maybe it's one of those 'We don't like this but it isn't technically illegal' things.

Yeah, I am struggling with the 3 thing as well. Got me. :idunno:

Number plate is seriously cool man.
Bondo’d deck lid was found in practice and confiscated. Legal deck lid installed for qualifying and won the pole. Not rocket science.

Bondo’d deck lid was found in practice and confiscated. Legal deck lid installed for qualifying and won the pole. Not rocket science.

Kind of like a blade that gets confiscated? You don't mess with NASCAR rocket sciences. Am I right?

Back
Top Bottom