2020 Auto Club 400 - Pre-Race Thread

Nothing personal, got to remember that the media will do anything to keep you from changing the channel. Kobe had a lot of fans.

If Axalta and HMS REALLY felt the need to honor a dead athlete, John Andretti would have been a FAR better (and relevant) choice.

Rarely is the "spending other people's money" criticism more apt. I doubt Axalta executives would be convinced by your pitch. There have been several deserved tributes to John Andretti. This is an attempt to connect the NASCAR race in Southern California to the population of Southern California, and the wider sports world. Likely smart from a marketing standpoint. I was not a Bryant or Lakers fan either. I think it's a nice gesture, and see no reason to be a wet blanket about it.

I would call it pandering, not marketing. I also have to ask the question what exactly is the connection between Kobe Bryant and car paint?

If they were going to do a scheme about people who died recently, they should have done one honoring Coronavirus victims. I mean come on, the insensitivity.

I would call it pandering, not marketing. I also have to ask the question what exactly is the connection between Kobe Bryant and car paint?
The same connection as between car paint and any number of movies, musical acts, Looney Tunes, hotel chains, financial services, foods and drinks, etc: money. What does beer have to do with car paint, other than having one while you wax the other?

Of course you would.

Do you ever stop looking around for some moral high ground to stand on? I'm not having any trouble understanding why you don't care for Bryant.
Nah, if you want the moral high ground, start with the questions, “If Axalta thought so much of Bryant, why did it take his death for them to put him on a car? Would he be there if he’d passed quietly in his sleep?"

I agree there’s an element of pandering, but no more than usual.

Of course you would.

Do you ever stop looking around for some moral high ground to stand on? I'm not having any trouble understanding why you don't care for Bryant.

Why would anybody NOT want to stand on the high moral ground, even though that has very little to do with this.

Like @gnomesayin said, it’s Axalta’s money. Winston killed more people than Bryant.

Yes, Its Axalta's money, except this really isn't costing them any more than they were paying anyway. Another thing to consider is that Axlata isn't even a consumer product. If just about ANY other HMS sponsor was doing this, I wouldn't agree with it, but at least I could understand it a little better.

The same connection as between car paint and any number of movies, musical acts, Looney Tunes, hotel chains, financial services, foods and drinks, etc: money. What does beer have to do with car paint, other than having one while you wax the other?

Those sponsors do it to try to entice you to buy their CONSUMER products. Axalta is not a consumer product, and the vast majority of NASCAR involvement is to schmooze their commercial clients, AKA body shop and distributors.

Jeff Gordon and Kobe Bryant are known for their accomplishments wearing and or running the number 24.

It makes perfect sense from a marketing standpoint. Not to mention his daughter, Gianna, wore the number 2 while playing basketball. NASCAR is in Fontana and the memorial was yesterday for them. Its perfect timing, but a wonderful gesture for Axalta and BodyArmor to allow this.

Blaney is sponsored by BodyArmor this week and will also run a scheme. Why? Bryant was one of the original investors of the company when it was launched.

Daniel Saurez will have gloves and shoes which will be auctioned off to the Mamba Foundation Charity afterwards. All proceeds will go towards the foundation(s).

This is more for charity and celebration for a man who to me meant a lot more than to members who do not watch basketball. I was born in 1993, so he was one of the first players I ever knew about. This is perfectly plausible tribute.

Those sponsors do it to try to entice you to buy their CONSUMER products. Axalta is not a consumer product, and the vast majority of NASCAR involvement is to schmooze their commercial clients, AKA body shop and distributors.
I’m sorry, I fail to see what difference the target audience makes. I -assume- someone in Axalta’s marketing department thinks the scheme is a good fit for their customers at this time and location, the same way other advertisers aim special schemes at their customers. Maybe it will encourage SoCal motorheads to favor shops with signs saying ‘We use Axalta paints’.

Well since I'm too stupid to figure out what you're getting at, why don't you explain it to me?
Called the penalty on yourself. You must play golf.

I would rather you attempt to briefly explain why you don't care for Mr. Bryant and do not want his name or image associated with your favorite race team. I was going to say virtuous race team but t's important to stick to the facts in these kinds of discussions.

Cup entry list with 38 cars:
2ZsPaP5.png

Xfinity entry list with 36 cars:
OCA4OrQ.png

I think this may be the only way Brad K can get close to the front.:D

Everyone is testy today.
I don’t have a dog in this fight. As has been often accused, I'm in (this one, at least) for the arguments.

Who knows, some actual pre-race content might get posted. That probably won’t happen until Thursday.

Called the penalty on yourself. You must play golf.

I would rather you attempt to briefly explain why you don't care for Mr. Bryant and do not want his name or image associated with your favorite race team. I was going to say virtuous race team but t's important to stick to the facts in these kinds of discussions.

OK, I thought he was a total jerk as a player and a teammate, even by NBA standards. Mostly the same reason I don't like Kyle Busch. I held that opinion of him long before his well known incident in Colorado.

I am wondering what his future can be with the 6 car. If he does to well Chevy will close the door.

Back
Top Bottom