2020 Auto Club 400 - Pre-Race Thread

I do not go fishing often, but dann when I fish it truly is therapeutic. Nothing like it honestly, I should invest in some better rods and maybe a boat in the future.
I have found in my lifetime of fishing that expensive rods and reels feed the ego but they don't catch more or bigger fish. The record catfish caught in Oklahoma was caught on a Zebco rod and reel set.

the world record 123 lbs. Flathead was caught on a Zebco 33 with 12# line.

I do not go fishing often, but dann when I fish it truly is therapeutic. Nothing like it honestly, I should invest in some better rods and maybe a boat in the future.
Come birding with me. Just as therapeutic and the gear costs less. I can get 10 species in the parking lot in a camp chair with a cooler. You can even do it at the track. (See how I tied that back to racing?)

Yeah, tough to beat being outdoors.

Come birding with me. Just as therapeutic and the gear costs less. I can get 10 species in the parking lot in a camp chair with a cooler. You can even do it at the track. (See how I tied that back to racing?)

Yeah, tough to beat being outdoors.
yeah I missed the rig is good for Lake Lloyd fishing

Medium,Fast-Tip rods -- shimano and crowder
Shimano Sustain and Stradic (very smooth) 4000s
Florida west coast flats and mangroves going after snook, reds, sea trout, spanish macks -- lady fish were fun, little sharks and rays were a pain, puffer fish were amusing, but the catfish were just frustrating eating on my dime
threw my own net for bait, but live gulf shrimp and chubs were hard to beat
If I needed a nice pan fish, I'd skip a shrimp under the mangrove overhangs and snatch a mangrove snapper
while listening to Nascar on MRN

Go ahead. Get angry. Kobe was a major Body Armor stakeholder for what it's worth

washttps://mobile.twitter.com/Blaney/status/1232351174327586818

It has a lot more in common with racing. Wildly different venues, participants responsible for their own gear, sponsors, etc. So does golf, for that matter.
Stick and plug doesn't have the same ring to it. IDK if it will fly...as in fishing and listening to MRN Nascar

Nascar says they have a big announcement to make before Fontana qualifying.

Something about a celebrity appearance from Downunder. :D

I guess we'll hear the news soon.
dropping in upside down by parachute, plane, or a donkey? :D

^^ Is Russel Crowe attending the event in Fontana?

Nascar says they have a big announcement to make before Fontana qualifying.

Something about a celebrity appearance from Downunder. :D

I guess we'll hear the news soon.
Paul Hogan?

As I said, I don’t know Shinola about Bryant. Now that I know this, Axalta’s move makes a lot more sense.
Yup. Bryant wore #24. Played his entire career for the Lakers, the most storied franchise in the NBA. Was the best player in the league, was Michael Jordan's protege. MVP. Top 10 player all time. All time great scorer, 5x champ.

Cultural icon. His death shook the world. NASCAR is paying homage. Seems pretty strait forward.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Yup. Bryant wore #24. Played his entire career for the Lakers, the most storied franchise in the NBA. Was the best player in the league, was Michael Jordan's protege. MVP. Top 10 player all time. All time great scorer, 5x champ.

Cultural icon. His death shook the world. NASCAR is paying homage. Seems pretty strait forward.
Thank you. Minor quibble - Axalta and UnderArmor are paying homage, not NASCAR.

Total winner’s purse is over $7M.

Tell me again why the all-star purse is a big deal?

Theres your first problem.
I've never regarded it as such. Just another retired athlete from another sport I don't follow.

I'm sure plenty of basketball fans who don't follow NASCAR don't know much about Jimmie Johnson. I wouldn't expect them to.

Reactions: sdj
I've never regarded it as such. Just another retired athlete from another sport I don't follow.

I'm sure plenty of basketball fans who don't follow NASCAR don't know much about Jimmie Johnson. I wouldn't expect them to.

Just curious (have no idea of the answer) How much trouble did the Charlotte Hornets go to to honor the passing of Dale Earnhardt?

Just curious (have no idea of the answer) How much trouble did the Charlotte Hornets go to to honor the passing of Dale Earnhardt?

During the 2017-18 season, NBA TV broadcasts reached over 1 billion unique viewers.

Like it or not, the guy is s global cultural icon.

Kobe and Jeff Gordon were friends. The sports world as a whole congratulated Jeff on his career. The same is happening and will happen with Jimmie.

To be clear, Kobe is a world wide icon and his passing shocked the world. If social media was around in 2001 the same way it is today, Dale’s death would have a similar reaction.

Just because you are unaware of Kobe’s career and life off the court doesn’t make his impact on the world less significant. To be absolutely clear, your ignorance on the subject makes you completely incorrect.

Kobe and Jeff Gordon were friends. The sports world as a whole congratulated Jeff on his career. The same is happening and will happen with Jimmie.

To be clear, Kobe is a world wide icon and his passing shocked the world. If social media was around in 2001 the same way it is today, Dale’s death would have a similar reaction.

Just because you are unaware of Kobe’s career and life off the court doesn’t make his impact on the world less significant. To be absolutely clear, your ignorance on the subject makes you completely incorrect.
I'm not sure what Gordon or Johnson have to do with this.

More to the point, you haven't demonstrated why I should consider my lack of knowledge regarding Bryant to be a problem to me. I'm not saying he wasn't talented, or that he wasn't important in his venue. But he was an athlete, an entertainer, like Gordon and Johnson and Earnhardt. Famous doesn't equal important, especially not important outside one's sport. If Bryant's 'impact on the world' extended beyond that or the charity work most rich athletes take up, it isn't in your description of why I should care.

My life is no worse for not knowing more about his career, and I don't see a reason to learn more about him at this point.

Last edited:
Reactions: sdj
Back
Top Bottom