2021 Silly Season

Suarez has done a great job IMO, outside of the DNQ at Daytona and the wreck at the August Daytona race, he has kept that car clean.

Averaging about a 26th place finish with a part time team doing a full schedule. Rheem/Ruud money would help, but they would have the same problem in finding a method of filling more races. Hopefully, Gaunt can continue building the program with the experience gained.

Same problem? Pretty sure Brandon Jones brings a bunch of funding including B2B deals with Menards. They stepped up on the 95 this season.

Same problem? Pretty sure Brandon Jones brings a bunch of funding including B2B deals with Menards. They stepped up on the 95 this season.
Menards is dialing back sponsorship a bit next season, I doubt they will sponsor Jones on the Cup side with Blaney and whomever is in the 21 swapping sponsorship back and forth.

It will probably be strictly Rheem/Ruud and nothing more IMO.

I'm sorry, Ganassi bought the majority of SABCO in 2001 then turned into Chip Ganassi Racing with Felix Sabates. So in 19 years, Larson won six times out of eight races won in the 42.

Montoya won the other two races.
On road courses at a time where road courses were throwaways for most drivers

How so? Kenseth has been out to lunch in the 42.

The two thoughts aren't really connected. . The first was a response to a implication that I should want Larson to drive for HMS for seemingly no other reason than he has a lot of talent. My point was that if that was the only criteria for fandom, everybody would be pulling for the same couple guys and Kyle Busch would be Dale Earnhardt kind of popular.

The second point was simply that I am just not sold that Larson is the right guy for that job or that his heart and passion is REALLY into being a top notch Cup driver. I got sucked in thinking that Kasey Kahne was going to be the second coming of Jeff Gordon at HMS, and even at his VERY best, he was pretty disappointing. Yes he won a few races, but he never got within a mile of being any kind of championship threat , and was HORRIBLY inconsistent. I could be way off, but that is EXACTLY how I perceive Kyle Larson. Larson has yet to show me that he can have success on a wide range of different tracks and bring home top 5's when a win isn't in the cards, and I don't think the current Cup cars and probably not the next Cup car are particularly suited to his style.

The two thoughts aren't really connected. . The first was a response to a implication that I should want Larson to drive for HMS for seemingly no other reason than he has a lot of talent. My point was that if that was the only criteria for fandom, everybody would be pulling for the same couple guys and Kyle Busch would be Dale Earnhardt kind of popular.

The second point was simply that I am just not sold that Larson is the right guy for that job or that his heart and passion is REALLY into being a top notch Cup driver. I got sucked in thinking that Kasey Kahne was going to be the second coming of Jeff Gordon at HMS, and even at his VERY best, he was pretty disappointing. Yes he won a few races, but he never got within a mile of being any kind of championship threat , and was HORRIBLY inconsistent. I could be way off, but that is EXACTLY how I perceive Kyle Larson. Larson has yet to show me that he can have success on a wide range of different tracks and bring home top 5's when a win isn't in the cards, and I don't think the current Cup cars and probably not the next Cup car are particularly suited to his style.

I mean I actually agree with you, but he is the most proven driver by far that is available & most well known.

I mean I actually agree with you, but he is the most proven driver by far that is available & most well known.

Well I've always said I rather go with a talented novice than somebody who has tons of experience at being mediocre. (Not necessarily saying that applies to Larson) As for well known, How many people knew who the hell Jimmie Johnson was? Right now Larson is WAY more famous for something he said playing a video game than anything he has ever done on a racetrack.

Last edited:
I hope Cindric wrecks out in every race. I really don't like him, I hope Dibenedetto finds a good ride.

Front Row has outperformed JTG Racing so if Preece goes to Front Row to replace McDowell I'd be happy. I doubt they kick John Hunter out.

I just hope Preece is not the odd-man out this silly season, but I recognize that's a real threat after this dumpster-fire season.

Front Row has outperformed JTG Racing so if Preece goes to Front Row to replace McDowell I'd be happy. I doubt they kick John Hunter out.

I just hope Preece is not the odd-man out this silly season, but I recognize that's a real threat after this dumpster-fire season.

McDowell is the better driver of the two, Nemo is a wreckathon on wheels. He's poison for a smaller team with limited resources.

Nemo has wrecked in one case or another 20 times this year.

I think he will stick around long-term, but he's got to clean up his driving some. It too him a season or so in each respected division to get accustomed, but I was expecting him to spin or so in bunches this first full season.

His ceiling is still really high, but it's made Mcdowell step his game up as well. If FRM keeps the duo together, I expect Nemo to take a step ahead of McDowell.

I think the problem with JHN is he's trying to get more results out of that equipment than its capable of. IMO he's got a ton of talent. Just remember it's easier to slow a driver down than it is to get him to pick it up.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

I think the problem with JHN is he's trying to get more results out of that equipment than its capable of. IMO he's got a ton of talent. Just remember it's easier to slow a driver down than it is to get him to pick it up.

I agree and I think there is to much pressure on these young kids to perform right out of the box. I would like to see them get a 3 year contract with expectations laid out for each season. For some teams this would mean "finish each race the first year" top 30 when possible second year and top 20 in the third year. Of course we know some teams just don't have the equipment for a driver to do this.

Chevy with the big brain move, RCR and HMS will work on making a "common" Chevy engine. Both respected engine shops will stay open:

I'm not sure this is as big of a deal as it sounds. Due to the box NASCAR puts the engine builders in, I doubt there is 1% difference between the products of the two engine shops. Now if NASCAR gets around to changing the engine specifications, this could be a much bigger deal. If NASCAR makes a move to production based engines, ECR has VASTLY more experience in that area than HMS. I will also point out that this is not the first time these guys have worked together. HMS, ECR and JGR all collaborated with GM in the R&D on the current R07 engine.

Just saw on Reddit that the main reason Larson will likely get the 48 (or whatever they number it) is because he is forced to/willing to accept a rookie level contract while that Jones boy wants $3.5M a year, so everyone is balking. If that's the case, I hope Erik enjoys driving Xfinity cars or a backmarker for 15% of that.

Reactions: Pat
Just saw on Reddit that the main reason Larson will likely get the 48 (or whatever they number it) is because he is forced to/willing to accept a rookie level contract while that Jones boy wants $3.5M a year, so everyone is balking. If that's the case, I hope Erik enjoys driving Xfinity cars or a backmarker for 15% of that.

False.

Smith was basing it off of Jones' possible market value, not how much he was asking for. Jones' net worth is supposedly around 3 to 3.5 million, it's not what he's asking for a new contract.

According to sporteckz Jones supposed base salary is around 1.85million for the 2020 season:

Whomever read Smith's article left out that detail.

False.

Smith was basing it off of Jones' possible market value, not how much he was asking for. Jones' net worth is supposedly around 3 to 3.5 million, it's not what he's asking for a new contract.

According to sporteckz Jones supposed base salary is around 1.85million for the 2020 season:

Whomever read Smith's article left out that detail.
Thanks

Never take unauthenticated social media sources at face value, whether it's about racing or anything else. If there are no links back to an originating source, ask for them. If you don't get any, think twice before forwarding / retweeting / reposting.

I'm off my soapbox now.

No Lowe's gift card?

I’d make ‘counteroffer’ just to keep things professional and make it look like I mean business...

But between you guys and me... I’d drive the car in exchange for the Lowe’s gift card

Silly season speculation from some GoFas employees tonight after unloading for Talladega, Matty is out and Austin Cindric is in the #21, "set in stone, ink is dry and that was a Ford desission"

Time stamped to when it was said.

Last edited:
Silly season speculation from some GoFas employees tonight after unloading for Talladega, Matty is out and Austin Cindric is in the #21, "set in stone, ink is dry and that was a Ford desission"
I'm trying to not hope Cindric falls on his face in the #21. After all, this wasn't his decision.

Time stamped to when it was said.

I'd like to see him keep his ride but Matt got the chance he was begging for and didn't really deliver. I really want to see the 21 up front again, blaney proved it could run there.

I hope Matty D. gets WBR their 100 win tonight. To be honest, I think Matty had his shot in a decent ride and didn't perform. Not saying he should have had wins but he should have had better results. Wish him good luck catching a ride.

I don't really see it that way at all. Matty D. DID make the playoffs, something Menard didn't do, and considering what a screwed up season we've had with very little opportunity to learn with a new team, a new crew chief, new manufacturer, and no practice, I don't think the results were all that bad. I would still MUCH rather have him in the #48 than Larson.

I don't really see it that way at all. Matty D. DID make the playoffs, something Menard didn't do, and considering what a screwed up season we've had with very little opportunity to learn with a new team, a new crew chief, new manufacturer, and no practice, I don't think the results were all that bad. I would still MUCH rather have him in the #48 than Larson.
If I had to choose based on talent alone I'm taking Larson over Matt every time. I think Larson is extremely talented, you just need to slow him down a little and harness it.

Matt's a nice guy and I think deserves to stay in the 21. If he's truly out of the 21 I guess it shows who's pulling the strings at WBR

Has anyone heard anything about Jones? Unless he's already signed somewhere there seems to be no buzz around him

I don’t have the slightest guess as to where Matty D would land if he is in fact out of the 21. For some reason I could see him doing about as well as you can at Roush if he did indeed want to stay in the Ford Camp. I do feel a bit bad for the guy, he did pretty well in the 21 and for the second consecutive year loses his ride to manufacturer politics.

If I had to choose based on talent alone I'm taking Larson over Matt every time. I think Larson is extremely talented, you just need to slow him down a little and harness it.

Matt's a nice guy and I think deserves to stay in the 21. If he's truly out of the 21 I guess it shows who's pulling the strings at WBR

there is no string showing to it. Penske supplies the driver. I'm sure there will be some people shocked, surprised and dismayed when Matt gets booted. I will be surprised if Cendric doesn't get the opportunity. He's a company man, Matt isn't

I'd like to see him keep his ride but Matt got the chance he was begging for and didn't really deliver.
To be honest, I think Matty had his shot in a decent ride and didn't perform.
You guys are tough to please. He has done about as well as anyone in the 21 car over the last 20 years. I don't know for fact, but I would think when Blaney drove for them Penske was involved more than they were with Matt. I keep hearing about Suarez, in my opinion what he had was a real chance to prove himself. It would be interesting to see how Matt would do in a comparable position.

You guys are tough to please. He has done about as well as anyone in the 21 car over the last 20 years. I don't know for fact, but I would think when Blaney drove for them Penske was involved more than they were with Matt. I keep hearing about Suarez, in my opinion what he had was a real chance to prove himself. It would be interesting to see how Matt would do in a comparable position.
I think it is more a case of being in the wrong place at the wrong time..Kinda. He was done at Leavine, Menard who has the pull recommended him for his seat (what are ya going to do with Menards sponsoring the car). But young son of Penske executive, Cendric has a banner year in the Xfinity's and is looking to move up to cup. Bottom line? Matt got a really good ride when he probably wouldn't have if it wasn't for Paul Menard. He didn't help himself much with his opportunity is a matter of opinion.

Back
Top Bottom