2021 Silly Season

The blowback were from individuals who don't care about NASCAR and racing in general.

It will probably get some attention, but not as much as you think.

That's JMO though.
I hope you're right but the thing about nascar is they rely on a lot of big sponsors that do other things outside this sport. Monster, Xfinity, coca-cola, NBC, Fox.....

Lose a couple of those and now it's a problem

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

So the day Nascar has been dreading all season has finally come. Actually I figured they already had a deal worked out that he would wouldn't ask until after Phoenix.

So do we want to let him back in and be accused of allowing a racist (at least public perception in this society) to participate in our sport or to we deny him and get accused of having different rules for different drivers?
It's just my opinion, but I agree with @Kiante. I understand your sentiment, but I think you're wringing your hands a little too much. I don't think very many people believed Larson should *never* have a path back to Nascar available to him. And I don't think many can look at the journey Larson has taken over the last six months and conclude that it is insincere or insufficient.

Also, if Nascar had wanted this request to be delayed until after Phoenix, I'm pretty sure Larson would have waited until after Phoenix... JMO.

Look, when Kyle screwed up back in April, I was as disappointed as anyone here about it. I was ridiculed by numerous forum members for over-reacting and making a BFD of something that wasn't too serious. But I *always* said that if Kyle would figure out how to lift himself up to be a better man... and walk that journey in the right way... that fans and sponsors and the Nascar industry would ultimately walk alongside him. I think he has done that and done it better than anyone expected of him.

Kyle Larson paid a hell of a price for his arrogant and ignorant blunder. And he will continue to pay financially, if one is to believe the reports from insiders that he is signing for essentially rookie wages. But come February at Daytona, it will be high time for us all to allow the young man to begin rebuilding his shattered career. Just my opinion.

Personally I think the Larson thing has been beat to death. He didn't miss a beat with the racing crowd, went back to dirt and his winning ways. Nascar Cup has to be an unfulfilled challenge considering his record compared to dirt sprint cars. I hope the racing press is smart enough to not beat a dead horse, it isn't helping anybody or the sport. I think the Fox booth will tastefully do that, the gerbils? oh crap I can just hear Burton now.

Kyle Larson appeared on Friday’s CBS This Morning. Sportscaster James Brown conducted an interview that was frank and pulled no punches. After the interview, Brown offered his opinion that Kyle is "the real deal" in terms of the sincerity of his efforts to learn about racial issues and improve himself as a man...

On the very week he applied for reinstatement. The optics aren't good IMO...Racial slur, suspension, redemption tour, promotion. He handled all of this so privately which created a whiff of sincerity until now. I am disappointed...again.

But come February at Daytona, it will be high time for us all to allow the young man to begin rebuilding his shattered career.

I think that "us" has to include more than white privilege. There is a voice in all of this that he owes. That voice will be the one I listen to.

He made a mistake, owned up to it, lost a lot of money, let him back. He didn't call anyone "a ni**er", he said "my ni**a". I know I'm going to get a lot of sh*t for saying so, but there is a big difference.

I think that "us" has to include more than white privilege. There is a voice in all of this that he owes. That voice will be the one I listen to.
I get it, but everyone he owes he has talked to.

Bubba, Willy T Ribbs, Bill Lester, and many others Larson has talked to. These are guys who have carved a path for themselves in an industry that is difficult to get into.

When Willy T speaks, I'm definitely all ears:

He deserves a second chance, I'm just not a fan of him falling forward, but that's business for you. Also, let's lighten up the mood:

Just the money talks about what a kyle larson is making or isnt making makes me laugh.

The guys on the door bumper clear podcast mentioned with good confidence, they’ve been informed he was ROLLING merchandise out at these dirt races he’s doing. They tossed around some wild comparisons. Even though it was 16 years ago... they mentioned Kyle had sold more money out of t shirts on one of these dirt races than Elliott Sadler did on the weekend when he won his first cup race... and hold the jokes about whatever sadler did or didnt do on the race track, because he actually sold alot of merchandise when he had that M&Ms sponsorship

Its not like Larson is picking up cans off the road for some spare change(god bless anyone doing that)...

I get it, but everyone he owes he has talked to.

Bubba, Willy T Ribbs, Bill Lester, and many others Larson has talked to.

A small sampling of a persecuted culture. How about the 8 year old kid who is black with the 42 t-shirt? That one might take more than six months. There is no quick fix for racism, and there is no quick fix for Larson. The fact that this will be remedied for him shortly speaks to the work yet to be done. Keep it private. Keep to your dirt. Give it time. Then, maybe.....

He made a mistake, owned up to it, lost a lot of money, let him back. He didn't call anyone "a ni**er", he said "my ni**a". I know I'm going to get a lot of sh*t for saying so, but there is a big difference.

Evidence of work to be done. We will get there.

That implies Clint wasn't let go to make space for someone else who was already signed.
It's possible Clint could have came back for 2021 in the #14 but that would have been the end. His future job is probable the reason he is leaving at the end of this season.
I am wondering if they are still hoping to have Larson fill the seat and not Briscoe.

It's possible Clint could have came back for 2021 in the #14 but that would have been the end. His future job is probable the reason he is leaving at the end of this season.
I am wondering if they are still hoping to have Larson fill the seat and not Briscoe.
I have wondered that too.

A small sampling of a persecuted culture. How about the 8 year old kid who is black with the 42 t-shirt? That one might take more than six months. There is no quick fix for racism, and there is no quick fix for Larson. The fact that this will be remedied for him shortly speaks to the work yet to be done. Keep it private. Keep to your dirt. Give it time. Then, maybe.....
That’s my problem with today’s cancel culture. We scream for justice and progress with racism. Create a dialogue, educate, reform, etc... then a chance comes up and someone does everything they ask, and it’s “NO! NEVER FORGIVEN!!!!” If that’s how it is, we’ll never make any headway fighting this ugly demon. If we truly want progress, education, and open dialogue about racism, then we need to be willing to allow a perceived racist to participate in those activities and come out the other side a better person.

That’s my problem with today’s cancel culture. We scream for justice and progress with racism. Create a dialogue, educate, reform, etc... then a chance comes up and someone does everything they ask, and it’s “NO! NEVER FORGIVEN!!!!” If that’s how it is, we’ll never make any headway fighting this ugly demon. If we truly want progress, education, and open dialogue about racism, then we need to be willing to allow a perceived racist to participate in those activities and come out the other side a better person.

I don't think that there is another "side." This is a journey, I would have liked him to keep his journey private. Maybe as real change takes hold, trust will build, and Larson's growth won't be met with skepticism. That is not now, but hopefully some day. The biggest impact of what he did was NASCAR's response. I would think that a six month suspension and a return to a promotion would appear to be a slap on the wrist which is a slap in the face to a culture who has suffered hundreds of years of oppression.

I don't think that there is another "side." This is a journey, I would have liked him to keep his journey private. Maybe as real change takes hold, trust will build, and Larson's growth won't be met with skepticism. That is not now, but hopefully some day. The biggest impact of what he did was NASCAR's response. I would think that a six month suspension and a return to a promotion would appear to be a slap on the wrist which is a slap in the face to a culture who has suffered hundreds of years of oppression.
Your probably going to have to hold off on your self righteous condemnation until Larson gets hired by a team and then you can rail on that organization. Be glad it isn't Gibbs. I hear the crow is good this time of year.

You are illustrating the folly and hubris of "cancel culture" (it's a loaded term, but it's a real phenomenon and applies here). I would be likely to agree with your sentiments regarding history and the lasting effects of institutional racism, and I disagreed with those who defended Larson and obfuscated from the start.

However, the impulse to attempt to reckon with broad societal deficits through relentless personal shaming and career destruction is counterproductive. The fixation on dividing people into an acceptable in group and a shunned out group is a comfortable distraction. Not only does it not grapple with structural change, it provides powerful institutions cover to mete out "justice" by targeting individuals, few if any of whom hold real power.

Larson has demonstrated his sincerity and regret to the satisfaction of most, including many like myself who condemned his behavior initially and believed that his firing was the only appropriate reaction. I see no benefit to this "It should have happened this way or taken this much longer" line of thinking.

Last edited:
BS

Your probably going to have to hold off on your self righteous condemnation until Larson gets hired by a team and then you can rail on that organization. Be glad it isn't Gibbs. I hear the crow is good this time of year.

Predictable response. We have work to do.

including many like myself

Who are you (figuratively), and do you and your group have the right to say enough is enough? Just saying that 6 months is a short period of time, and coming back to a top tier team and this quasi media tour is somewhat concerning, but not surprising. We have work to do.

The empire is growing again.
Last time they attempted a full Xfinity schedule they ran as an S&P most of the time and sold their team to Harmon in the middle of the year.

Back
Top Bottom