2021 Silly Season

Nope.

Sorry guys. That's not Tony Stewart. That's not his Twitter handle.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Like standonit said, that's Instagram.

Glad the 37 team is staying around. Hopefully Ty & Corey to Spire and maybe Gaunt Brothers Racing stays full time??

Oh he wanted a handout, handout:

Leavine started out small, went with Chevy and he had a number of drivers race for him. Hendrick paid him to take Kahne off of his hands and he got sick after 25 races. He averaged 23 place. Regan Smith filled in for the 11 remaining season and he averaged 23rd place average. So in 18 he switches to Toyota, says he is going to get more support and has DiBenedetto for the whole season. Don't know for sure but I think Matt was picked by Leavine to race the car and they did better averaging 18th place for the season and a ranking of ten places better in 22 place than with Chevy the year previous. In 2022 the price of tea in China went up when the Toyota development driver Christopher Bell showed up with the whole support crew entourage. Bell's performance wasn't as good as Matt's only two top 5's compared to three from Matt the year before. I guarantee Leavine's costs shot up having to take Bell and company and his income went down steeply. Without more "support" to supplement the increased costs he was doomed

I think most teams, including the big ones, got hand outs.
NASCAR did forward payments to teams, but that's the extent of my knowledge.

How much it was is the question and it wasn't enough to keep Leavine's doors open. Just the timing of everything with the pandemic, signing to TRD, buying those chassis, and all the expenses involved were just too much to maintain. That's my guess.

Last edited:
I think he tried to go bigger/better and got caught up in the Covid deal which
killed a lot of businesses.

I just looked Jimmy's 67. I can't believe he'd want to take that role on now

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

It's like the Frank Williams and Patrick Head of NASCAR.

I wonder if Jack even has a succession plan in place?
I know he claims he does, but you have to remember he's not the sole owner of that operation

It'd be a good spot for Corey, Spire could actually build with a guy like him:

I would like to see this happen. Chevy has a lot of cars, but the quality drops off pretty quickly, especially with JTG failing to improve, the demise of Germain and RPM possibly taking a step backwards. They could use another team or two that can perform at least at a mid-pack level.

Do you think Leavine had a choice to take or not take Christopher Bell and his support team?
I don't know his financials before this deal but I have heard the saying "Beware the Devil You Deal With" This is the second team to go under who went with JGR. The third team is just getting started so we wait and see what goes down. Joe is no spring chicken.

My guess is someone bringing a good sized check

Hemric is putting his money to good use, but he needs to win. This might be his last opportunity to do so, good luck to him.

The Herbst project ends for JGR, but I feel Herbst will fall into the 98 next season. Too much money to let sit on the sideline with Briscoe leaving.

Full-time in the 18 as well:

Herbst's statement on leaving:

I guess it's a good opportunity for him to have some success in the Xfinity series, but I don't see him making a jump to cup in a Toyota anytime soon. Lot of people in that pipeline and not many spots

I guess it's a good opportunity for him to have some success in the Xfinity series, but I don't see him making a jump to cup in a Toyota anytime soon. Lot of people in that pipeline and not many spots

Good car, good sponsor backing, I mean he could be a lifer in the Xfinity Series.

Nothing wrong with that.

Good car, good sponsor backing, I mean he could be a lifer in the Xfinity Series.

Nothing wrong with that.
Absolutely not -IF- you're with a team that's looking to field a lifer X driver, not one that historically has used its X car for driver development.

Absolutely not -IF- you're with a team that's looking to field a lifer X driver, not one that historically has used its X car for driver development.
Elliott Sadler drove for JGR for about two years with his financial backing, I could see Daniel doing the same thing.

It is for development, however it's obvious Hemric is a stop gap until the next Toyota driver is ready to move. Eckes and Lessard are nowhere near ready to move to Xfinity. I would have liked to see Hemric move into the SHR seat instead of Herbst, but Herbst's money can go an entire season as we saw with the 18 last year.

I think this is as good as Riley will get as far as proving he deserves a cup ride.
The last 2 drivers (Reddic and Briscoe) have won a championship and moved up to a cup ride. Also the 2019 runner up is in Cup. So who is scheduled to be dropped in 2022 or 2023 at SHR ??

Last edited:
I think this is as good as Riley will get as far as proving he deserves a cup ride.
The last 2 drivers (Reddic and Briscoe) have won a championship and moved up to a cup ride. Also the 2019 runner up is in Cup. So who is scheduled to be dropped in 2022 or 2023 at SHR ??
Harvick or Almirola could retire but I don't see Herbst in Cup. But I could be wrong a year ago I didn't see Briscoe or Cindric having the years they had.

Hemric is putting his money to good use, but he needs to win. This might be his last opportunity to do so, good luck to him.

The Herbst project ends for JGR, but I feel Herbst will fall into the 98 next season. Too much money to let sit on the sideline with Briscoe leaving.

Full-time in the 18 as well:

Herbst's statement on leaving:

Full-time?!? Wow, when I heard the rumor about Hemric to JGR some weeks ago I thought it would be a 10 race deal at best. Certainly didn't see this coming with the terrible season Hemric had.

I would be surprised if Herbst wins a race in the 98, 2021 is only his second year in Xfinity.

Harvick or Almirola could retire but I don't see Herbst in Cup. But I could be wrong a year ago I didn't see Briscoe or Cindric having the years they had.
I have watched Herbst make some pretty good runs however I am not surprised that he wasn't top dog simple because he wasn't anointed. Going to be a hard for Bell the next few seasons. He has to get past the win or crash mentality.

13 cars (maybe 14 with RCR) pretty much confirmed
02 - Moffitt
1 - Annett
7 - Allgaier
9 - Gragson
10 - Allmendinger? Alfredo? Dillon? Grala? GMS?
11 - Haley
18 - Hemric
19 - Brandon Jones
20 - Harrison Burton
22 - Cindric
39 - Sieg
68 - Brown
98 - Herbst

Then you got the outsiders such as the JDM boys, Clements, DGM Racing with Alex Labbe/Josh Williams, SS Greenlight, and Rick Ware having a full time team.

POSSIBLY full time:

21(or 2 or 3?) - Dillon FT? Alfredo FT? Snider FT? Grala FT? All-Star Car?

All-Star Cars:

8 - Josh Berry (12 races), Dale Jr (1 race), Sam Mayer (the remaining half for the most part)
16 - Rumors of Jeb Burton for some, maybe Allmendinger??
54 - JGR with Busch/Hamlin
SHR?? - some rumblings of a part time SHR car??

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom