2022 Daytona 500 pre-race thread

I can't tell the difference from 190 to 180 so if it gives us good racing I'm not worried about it. I probably couldn't ell a lot of difference between 180 and 200 but that's me. I'm sure speeds will creep up as these engineers figure ways around stuff.
I'm with you. We should still see good racing @ 180.

Reduced race speeds result in lower downforce and “cleaner” turbulence.

The big question for tonight's Duels is how hard some of these teams will race considering the lack of cars and only a few team brought actual backups. I know many of them can bring extra cars from Charlotte. But the low inventory was one of the driving factors by getting the Clash away from Daytona.
I thought it was to bring the race to their largest market area?

What's really weird is that almost the entire fanbase wants one single team to dominate because all four drivers on that superteam are enormously popular with the fanbase (Elliott, who will be the MPD until he retires, Larson because he's the best driver in all of motorsports, "Bowman the Showman," and "WillyB" because of iRacing and driving the 24).

What makes a dynasty fun in other sports is not just the dynasty itself, but watching fans root against it (people rooting against Brady and the Patriots, people rooting against Alabama). But, in NASCAR, probably close to 80% of the fanbase approves of a single team dynasty.
I love you 20%!

What's really weird is that almost the entire fanbase wants one single team to dominate because all four drivers on that superteam are enormously popular with the fanbase (Elliott, who will be the MPD until he retires, Larson because he's the best driver in all of motorsports, "Bowman the Showman," and "WillyB" because of iRacing and driving the 24).

What makes a dynasty fun in other sports is not just the dynasty itself, but watching fans root against it (people rooting against Brady and the Patriots, people rooting against Alabama). But, in NASCAR, probably close to 80% of the fanbase approves of a single team dynasty.

What makes teams and drivers fun and exciting is being able to relate to them. I don’t understand why people in this sport think a bunch of rich kids/family money is a good long term plan, nor do I think Chase Elliott is the greatest ambassador for your product.

What makes teams and drivers fun and exciting is being able to relate to them. I don’t understand why people in this sport think a bunch of rich kids/family money is a good long term plan, nor do I think Chase Elliott is the greatest ambassador for your product.
I don't need to relate to them one bit. I want them to be a superhero. I mean this. Not trying to be a jackass.

I don't need to relate to them one bit. I want them to be a superhero. I mean this. Not trying to be a jackass.

Kyle Busch, Kurt Busch, Kyle Larson, Kevin Harvick, Brad Keselowski, maybe Truex, maybe Joey even though I don’t care either way, probably Chase even though I don’t care for him are. The rest have a lot to prove including Hamlin. I tend to think 410 sprint car drivers are more superheroic.

Last edited:
Just a couple more days of sandbagging, then it's go time! ;)
When they all clustered up to pit according to manufacturer and the Yotas showed their hand first by taking two, it turned out to not be a good move. If the Fords are going to be the fastest, I would pit with them. JMO.

1645164936259.png

Logano to the rear for a back up car.

Last edited:
Is the 22 going to a backup? I’d think with these cars being so tight on the engineering the backup would be pretty close if they apply what they learned on the primary?

Is the 22 going to a backup? I’d think with these cars being so tight on the engineering the backup would be pretty close if they apply what they learned on the primary?
They reported last night that he was going to a backup.
I think it would be a perfect opportunity to take that car back to the R&D center and see how it performed structurally.

They reported last night that he was going to a backup.
I think it would be a perfect opportunity to take that car back to the R&D center and see how it performed structurally.
I don't think that's feasible now. I imagine that car needs to get back and be rebuilt as quick as possible. It's likely going to be a primary for one of the races on the west coast.

I wonder if we can get a mod to pin a speedweeks TV schedule on the front page until the 500 concludes
It would be awesome if we could have a TV schedule pinned and posted for every week. Seems like I am always googling for the information. I realize there are probably better alternatives, but this is where I come daily for my racing fix.

Smoke is in the house

We’re going to have TSR, our NHRA drag racing team, making its debut at Pomona [California] the same day. So, I have four cars racing on Sunday in Daytona, two cars racing in Pomona and, on top of that, I’m in the booth with Fox. I don’t know if there’s any more I could do that day.

Hmm whatcha up to Ford

That's an odd one. Someone must have tipped someone off. Reminds me of when Jack himself was complaining about the 24 running cheated up tires and they had then analyzed and couldn't find anything

Story time: I am inviting some friends over to my house to watch the 500 on Sunday. None of them have ever seen a NASCAR race. From what I saw in the duels, none of them will ever want to watch a race again if Sunday is the same way. Those cars looked so slow and unimpressive. With how safe the cars are today, there is no reason they shouldn’t be going at least 195

Story time: I am inviting some friends over to my house to watch the 500 on Sunday. None of them have ever seen a NASCAR race. From what I saw in the duels, none of them will ever want to watch a race again if Sunday is the same way. Those cars looked so slow and unimpressive. With how safe the cars are today, there is no reason they shouldn’t be going at least 195
;)

Well, don't tell them and they will never know. ;)

Lie about it like it’s no tomorrow and tell them how awesome it is

Reactions: Pat
Back
Top Bottom