2022 Daytona 500 pre-race thread

I like seeing the 9 be able to suck up and push. They've struggled with that here off and on the last few years.

Makes me wonder if this is look here not over there kind of thing. Basically knocking off burrs wouldn't be changing it IMO.

Story time: I am inviting some friends over to my house to watch the 500 on Sunday. None of them have ever seen a NASCAR race. From what I saw in the duels, none of them will ever want to watch a race again if Sunday is the same way. Those cars looked so slow and unimpressive. With how safe the cars are today, there is no reason they shouldn’t be going at least 195
If your guests can tell the difference between 182 and 195 they are better race/observers than me.

If your guests can tell the difference between 182 and 195 they are better race/observers than me.

I guess I’m the only one who notices it at the end of the straights at the intermediates? 🤷‍♂️ I’ve always thought Daytona & Talladega could be safer than the pack racing they’ve done.

I guess I’m the only one who notices it at the end of the straights at the intermediates? 🤷‍♂️ I’ve always thought Daytona & Talladega could be safer than the pack racing they’ve done.
Safer for the drivers, yes. Engines were restricted for fan safety to begin with

Safer for the drivers, yes. Engines were restricted for fan safety to begin with

Source and examples? There were no changes made immediately after Austin Dillon & Ryan Newman’s wrecks at Daytona & Talladega. Unless you’re talking about the restrictor plates. 20-30 years ago.

It's astonishing how many people still haven't grasped that point. Good luck getting it across; I've given up.

So Austin Dillon has a nasty wreck at Daytona in 2015 & they bring the same exact horsepower package to Talladega & Daytona the races after, along with Ryan Newman for all of 2020 & 2021. I’m just curious here.

Last edited:
Source and examples? There were no changes made immediately after Austin Dillon & Ryan Newman’s wrecks at Daytona & Talladega. Unless you’re talking about the restrictor plates. 20-30 years ago.
Yes. The "original" wreck

Yes. The "original" wreck

There are a lot of “original” wrecks, so I’m going to assume that was Earnhardt’s death and say that had nothing to do with fan safety and was driver safety. Be descriptive please.

It's astonishing how many people still haven't grasped that point. Good luck getting it across; I've given up.
Drivers were dropping like flies before and after that wreck, up until 2001. NASCAR never gave a damn about driver safety until Earnhardt's wreck; until then most safety enhancements were pushed by drivers and teams rather than NASCAR itself

There are a lot of “original” wrecks, so I’m going to assume that was Earnhardt’s death and say that had nothing to do with fan safety and was driver safety.
The Bobby A. wreck...you brought up the notion of reverting away from pack racing, and the original wreck that started places was the Bobby wreck

The Bobby A. wreck...you brought up the notion of reverting away from pack racing, and the original wreck that started places was the Bobby wreck

i thought we were well past the cars going 210 at the superspeedways recently. Also see the wickerbill.

Rule book requirements for the wheels
l23ykQp.png
zyWV9K7.png

Likely not related, but did anyone else notice the wheels on Logano's car were lighter colored than other cars' wheels? I'm assuming they are allowed to be painted, correct?
I belive it was Todd Gordon that said they had chosen polished wheels. Teams were given a few color choices but due to supply chain issues most teams went with gun metal gray (standard color) to ensure they would receive enough in time for the 500

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

A smaller restrictor plate was introduced after Newman's wreck, reducing hp from 550 to 510, hp was further reduced to 470 after Logano's flip at Talladega last year.

A smaller restrictor plate was introduced after Newman's wreck, reducing hp from 550 to 510, hp was further reduced to 470 after Logano's flip at Talladega last year.

Yeah that’s right they did make a small change after that. Don’t remember anything about the Logano wreck

Yeah that’s right they did make a small change after that. Don’t remember anything about the Logano wreck

They did plenty

“I am wondering when we are going to stop because this is dangerous doing what we are doing,” Logano said after exiting the infield care center that day. “I got a roll bar in my head. That is not okay.”

NASCAR announced Tuesday that the tapered spacer holes will be reduced from 57/64 of an inch to 53/64 of an inch, leading to the drop in about 7-10 mph.

NASCAR also announced it is removing the wicker from the spoiler as part of the package to slow the cars at Talladega and Daytona International Speedway.

Series officials also stated that a roll bar that had been optional for events at Daytona and Talladega is now mandated.

Tbh the 62 was usually actually pretty good there. A small team but they focused more of their resources on plate tracks to help even the odds, and while Gragson is new, he is a decent plate racer. Not a bad fit. He should have a decent showing.

Tbh the 62 was usually actually pretty good there. A small team but they focused more of their resources on plate tracks to help even the odds, and while Gragson is new, he is a decent plate racer. Not a bad fit. He should have a decent showing.
For sure Gaughan didn't get crashed from the front of the field by being slow
brendan-gaughan-beard-motorspo.jpg

Yeah that is all they ran last year, 5 races at Daytona and talladega, have to race their way in. Pretty cool bunch.

Back
Top Bottom