2022 Silly Season

How many did Jimmie Johnson have before moving up? You can’t ever really go by that stuff man. It’s a good stat line to look at, but can’t always go off it. Dale Jr did great in his two full time years there, it didn’t translate at all. You might be right, and also it depends on how the team runs as well, but we can’t say he’s not ready based off one stat.
Like I said, we’ll see.

There are no Cup rides in Xfin.
You know the cars aren’t the same, right?

200w.gif

Haley is still up and down on 1.5 tracks and short tracks at times and he will take time to grow in Cup. Still, I think he's a good pick to grow with Kaulig in Cup.

Probably will a couple of seasons before he really excels, but I'm happy to see his loyalty to Kaulig pay off. Really exciting stuff altogether.

How many did Jimmie Johnson have before moving up? You can’t ever really go by that stuff man. It’s a good stat line to look at, but can’t always go off it. Dale Jr did great in his two full time years there, it didn’t translate at all. You might be right, and also it depends on how the team runs as well, but we can’t say he’s not ready based off one stat.
I definitely agree. The cars are different enough that the stats don't necessarily matter, just the experience. You never know when a cup car will be better for a driver's style vs xfinity (JJ for example), etc. It's the experience that matter. Also Haley HAS improved a lot regardless and seems pretty consistent these days, at least at times. Regardless of how good he may or may not be, I don't think he will ever be much more ready than he is now. It will definitely take him a couple of seasons to adjust to Cup though, but that is pretty common. He also normally takes care of his equipment, and of course is pretty decent at plate racing.

Also as far as your point about JJ, for whatever reason, as great as he was in Cup, he NEVER seemed very good at all in Xfinity atleast in my opinion, again showing that you never truly know how they will translate.

Last edited:
AJ had his time in Cup. I get he’s the most experienced and the easiest choice for that seat, but IMO take a chance on someone else who didn’t fail out.
I think if the series is truly focused on maintaining the steady increase in road racing events it would be hard not to run him full-time if the money is there. All these years later he still owns JTG-Daugherty’s only Cup win and playoff appearance, and he hasn’t shown any signs of regression in the two twisties with Kaulig this season. But based on some of the reporting so far it seems like Kaulig might fill the rest of the schedule with funded drivers or even partner with another team like Spire and Ganassi have done a little bit. For a new team that has their young guy in Haley, using the other car to help build up the commercial side isn’t such a bad idea. AJ’s age and paid driver status might just not line up with it. If they didn’t think highly of him I don’t think he’d be in the second car at all.

Is this the big domino we've been waiting to fall? :blink:
From the article it sounds like that’s the one charter that’s in danger of being pulled at the end of the year.
This is important because the Petty Ware Racing No. 51 has been in the bottom three in chartered points two years in a row. It entered the weekend at Nashville Superspeedway 34th in chartered points and needs to be 33rd by the end of the season to avoid three consecutive years in the bottom three.

The No. 51 is eight points behind the Rick Ware Racing No. 15 -- a teammate to the Petty Ware car -- and 14 points behind the Live Fast Racing No. 78 charter owned by Joe Falk.

Rick Ware Racing could theoretically ensure the No. 15 finishes behind the No. 51 to avoid NASCAR pulling the franchise from Petty Ware.

Am I a bad fan if I want Rick Ware to lose that charter and have it go to a team that will...compete with it for lack of a better term?
In the Kyle Busch 100 post
I talked about an elite and regular cup series (xfinity would become regular cup , running same car as elite)

winners in last 3 years are in elite cup
Right now we would have 17 teams in elite

Rest of teams would be competing in reg cup, you win move up to elite, the very next week.
Have 3 years to win again or move back to reg cup

elite drivers cannot run in reg cup races

Ware has had his time collecting checks and riding in the back. Time to give new blood a chance. The Cup series needs Kaulig, Trackhouse, 23XI, GMS, JRM for the growth and health of the series.

Plus it’ll make Kyle Busch happy not having to dodge a Gase and a Smithley every week.

Door Bumper Clear, I know its not the greatest of podcasts. However, they have been pretty solid about predictions:

- RPM is open to selling their charter (34:45 mark onwards), however RPM wants to keep Richard's name on the team. (If you watch F1, similar to Dorlion Capital buying Williams and keeping the Williams name)

- Brett thinks Honda is the new manufacturer that is interested in NASCAR (around the 65:00 mark onwards)

With the NextGen car being a vendor based model, it would be interesting if Honda joins the ranks. Also, shoutout to Brett breaking down the charter system and how it works.

For instance, if you're operating on a budget of "X amount of dollars and you are operating lets say 2 to 4 million less, now you have that 2 to 4 million that goes into the owners pocket." A la Rick Ware and how Ware is able to fund his other projects, now the charters he owns are paid off and now he has that charter to play with pricing. From 6 to 10 million or more dollars and that goes into the pocket of the team, the same reason why Spire sold two of those charters.

Spire got a nice pay day from out of it. I was listening to the podcast and just happened to tickle the ears some, so I wanted to share for the individuals who may not care for the podcasts.

- RPM is open to selling their charter (34:45 mark onwards), however RPM wants to keep Richard's name on the team.
I'd hesitate to draw conclusions about the future of Richard Petty Motorsports from that comment in the podcast. First, it is DBC and they have spread a lot of rumors over the years that never panned out. And second, I believe RPM still owns two charters. One charter is operated as the #43 car. And the #51 car runs as Petty/Ware and I think RPM owns that charter or is part owner (could be wrong however). So maybe it is this #51 charter that is for sale.

Of course it is also possible the #43 might fold at any time. They have been struggling for years. But Andy Murstein told journalists last week that they were very pleased with Erik Jones and hoped to have him return for 2022.

We need a vehicle that actually works in NASCAR

Right, and what does Honda have? They don't make a V8, they don't make a truck, they no longer care about offering a performance variant of their Accord.

Nissan has a production V8, they have the Titan to race in the truck series, and they have the Maxima that is certainly no less sporty than a Camry. They are a distant third in the Japanese car market behind Honda and Toyota, maybe even Mazda. They have had commercials lately advertising the performance/fun aspect of their vehicle lineup. Seems like the perfect time for them to jump into NASCAR.

Ware has had his time collecting checks and riding in the back. Time to give new blood a chance. The Cup series needs Kaulig, Trackhouse, 23XI, GMS, JRM for the growth and health of the series.

Plus it’ll make Kyle Larson happy not having to dodge a Gase and a Smithley every week.
FTFY.

Honda in NASCAR just doesn't make sense to me. Nissan would be the most logical newcomer IMO
Nissan is a logical move, however they have been doing a terrible job sales wise atm.

I doubt they do anything related to motorsports in North America until the new Z model comes out. Maybe the new/revamped GTR?

Them coming to NASCAR would be a hard sell for them atm.

Nissan is a logical move, however they have been doing a terrible job sales wise atm.

I doubt they do anything related to motorsports in North America until the new Z model comes out. Maybe the new/revamped GTR?

Them coming to NASCAR would be a hard sell for them atm.

Yeah, I really have no idea if they could swing it, and I haven't been paying attention to their stock/sales numbers. Obviously their financial situation is a pretty big factor.

It would be great to see Dodge come back, but I think that ship has sailed unfortunately.

Right, and what does Honda have? They don't make a V8, they don't make a truck, they no longer care about offering a performance variant of their Accord.

Nissan has a production V8, they have the Titan to race in the truck series, and they have the Maxima that is certainly no less sporty than a Camry. They are a distant third in the Japanese car market behind Honda and Toyota, maybe even Mazda. They have had commercials lately advertising the performance/fun aspect of their vehicle lineup. Seems like the perfect time for them to jump into NASCAR.
Toyota races a Camry. There's no reason they couldn't run a Honda Accord body

Back
Top Bottom