2022 Silly Season

Basically, if you can host a major Super Late Model event, why then could you not host Trucks or Xfinity? (Winchester, Snowball Derby, etc.) Then there's outliers like Milwaukee Mile, etc. Is Pike's Peak still in operating shape or even there any more?

Basically, if you can host a major Super Late Model event, why then could you not host Trucks or Xfinity? (Winchester, Snowball Derby, etc.) Then there's outliers like Milwaukee Mile, etc. Is Pike's Peak still in operating shape or even there any more?
Same answer. Is the non-racing infrastructure in place for TV?

Same answer. Is the non-racing infrastructure in place for TV?
See, I'm ignorant. I thought the networks came in and did all that to set up for weekend. What's involved? Do the tracks have electrical and wiring, coms, everything pre-wired and ran to stations where cameras will be, etc as part of their infrastructure? I truly don't know how it works.

I used to be under impression that the requirements for a venue were SAFER barriers, Cup level garage space, and preferably lights.

Pikes Peak doesn’t seem to interested in hosting much oval track racing anymore. Just a club / driving experience / music / truck festival facility.

See, I'm ignorant. I thought the networks came in and did all that to set up for weekend. What's involved? Do the tracks have electrical and wiring, coms, everything pre-wired and ran to stations where cameras will be, etc as part of their infrastructure? I truly don't know how it works.

I used to be under impression that the requirements for a venue were SAFER barriers, Cup level garage space, and preferably lights.
Well, all those trucks take up most of an acre or more, along with the rental cars. The trucks need a flat, level surface. I'm pretty sure the networks want it paved (so they don't settle if the ground gets soggy), so there have to be adequate grounding points and possibly anchors. I think they also prefer to be outside the track; it makes coming and going a lot easier along with food and fuel deliveries, Port-A servicing, etc.; but they want it as close to the tunnel as possible so the talent doesn't have too far to walk to the infield. They want a fence around all that to control access.

They need clear lines of sight to the satellites. They prefer to mount the cameras on fixed positions; it reduces the number of crane rented. Ditto if there's already power and communications to those mounting places; those save on transporting the necessary cables and (horrors!!) the labor costs to deploy and recover them. They'd prefer to have either reliable cellular service or for the track to dedicate a WiFi network to them. If they have to bring in their own temporary tower, that's more bucks.

They'd like adequate hotels as close as possible, along with decent places to eat and delivery service. Anything that has to be rented (camera cranes, cell towers, labor), should be available locally, to minimize costs to get the gear there.

That's off the top of my head, based on experience relocating military headquarters in the field. A lot of it overlaps with what the teams need, just more of it; a lot of it doesn't. No, Eldora may not have had all of those, but many of the less developed tracks mentioned don't have Tony Stewart making the pitch. This is why "Let's go to Greenville-Pickens!' isn't as easy as is sounds.

Last edited:
Well, all those trucks take up most of an acre or more, along with the rental cars. The trucks need a flat, level surface. I'm pretty sure the networks want it paved (so they don't settle if the ground gets soggy), so there have to be adequate grounding points. I think they also prefer to be outside the track; it makes coming and going a lot easier along with food and fuel deliveries, Port-A servicing, etc.; but they want it as close to the tunnel as possible so the talent doesn't have too far to walk to the infield. They want a fence around all that to control access.

They need clear lines of sight to the satellites. They prefer to mount the cameras on fixed positions; it reduces the number of crane rented. Ditto if there's already power and communications to those mounting places; those save on transporting the necessary cables and (horrors!!) the labor costs to deploy and recover them. They'd prefer to have either reliable cellular service or for the track to dedicate a WiFi network to them. If they have to bring in their own temporary tower, that's more bucks.

They'd like adequate hotels as close as possible. Chopper access eliminates sitting in traffic getting in and out.

That's off the top of my head, based on experience relocating military headquarters in the field. No, Eldora may not have had all of those, but many of the less developed tracks mentioned don't have Tony Stewart making the pitch.
Thanks. Everything you said makes perfect sense, and it's just things I never thought much about before.

Well part of the charm was lost when the schedule became homologated. It was better (IMHO) when the lower series had their own unique schedules and tracks, and the companion events then became really special and prestigious. I don't hold the fantasies of Xfinity or Trucks ever returning to 3/8 bullrings like South Boston, IRP, and Orange County, but it would be damned cool if they would.
Trucks go to IRP next year

Trucks go to IRP next year
And IRP is a known location for the networks. They've been there before and know what resources are available. It helps that it's the same weekend that Cup is at IMS; they're close enough that some resources can be shared, and easy to shuttle between.

Logistics are a major pain in the ass. @Nitro Dude , @Spotter22 , and @AndyMarquisLive can probably add more about what resources it takes to put on a show, besides what the race teams themselves need.

Last edited:
And IRP is a known location for the networks. They've been there before and know what resources are available. It helps that it's the same weekend that Cup is at IMS; they're close enough that some resources can be shared, and easy to shuttle between.

Logistics are a major pain in the ass. @Nitro Dude , @Spotter22 , and @AndyMarquisLive can probably add more about what resources it takes to put on a show, besides what the race teams themselves need.
Otherwise the Trucks don't run that week, and it helps to buffer all of the the Cup car fans that thinks the cup cars should be running at Lucas (because so many love Cup at Indy) not. So it solves a few problems. The teams only have to go a little ways to work both races, a lot of fans will be happy Nascar is running at Lucas, and the Trucks get to race that weekend and I get to watch it. :punkrocke

Another possibility is to remodel and modernize Dover. Put a new surface on it, maybe change up the banking, fix the seats and the suites. The track was/is a money maker thanks to the TV money. They can do a lot with a mile track these days.

Both Dover and Nashville are under private ownership now, no tight ass stock holders to please

Dover isn't a road course. And it's just not a good track.
Sez who? I think Dover is a great track. It is unique and it is very challenging. Dover separates the Pretenders from the Contenders, a stern rest of driving skill. That's why Jimmie Johnson was so good there in his prime. I'd think any hard core fan of skill-based racing would appreciate Dover greatly.

Sez who? I think Dover is a great track. It is unique and it is very challenging. Dover separates the Pretenders from the Contenders, a stern rest of driving skill. That's why Jimmie Johnson was so good there in his prime. I'd think any hard core fan of skill-based racing would appreciate Dover greatly.
Most people who hate on Dover have never been to Dover, it's great in person but tv doesn't do it justice for whatever reason.

What he said

Most people who hate on Dover have never been to Dover, it's great in person but tv doesn't do it justice for whatever reason.

Dover remains the only track I've fallen asleep at in the middle of a race.

Best Cup race I ever been to in person was at Dover, but so was the worst. Man, that track either puts on a really good race or an awful snore fest. No in between.

He really knows how to set up a little deuce coupe!
FDzzsuRWUAMyB62.jpeg

Speaking of Penske

Money, money, money.

It all has to make sense to Penske. Got to have a capable driver/drivers for the owners championship.

It would be sad to see the program go, but after Cindric graduating, it would make sense for them to step away.

At the same time, it could be a rotation of drivers. The only other driver I could think of in the Ford camp is Gilliland that is even remotely close of being ready. Would be cool to see Zane Smith take over the 22, at least IMHO.

Money, money, money.

It all has to make sense to Penske. Got to have a capable driver/drivers for the owners championship.

It would be sad to see the program go, but after Cindric graduating, it would make sense for them to step away.

At the same time, it could be a rotation of drivers. The only other driver I could think of in the Ford camp is Gilliland that is even remotely close of being ready. Would be cool to see Zane Smith take over the 22, at least IMHO.
DiBenedetto :p

I thought I saw during the press conference where Brad was announced as a new owner at Roush that they were going to have an Xfinity Program again. I forgot if it was for next year or coming years.

I thought I saw during the press conference where Brad was announced as a new owner at Roush that they were going to have an Xfinity Program again. I forgot if it was for next year or coming years.
Brad was pretty good picking drivers for his truck program. I wonder if Ford regrets dropping that team? Maybe this time around they will listen to Brad.

Back
Top Bottom