2022 Silly Season

Why would the Smith's buy it and then tear it down. It makes little sense to me. At the most I think they could modernize it, maybe reconfigure it.

Because they've done that for years with racetracks.

Now they have Nashville Superspeedway in the event the Nashville Fairgrounds thing doesn't go through, and if they do get North Wilkesboro reopened, it's easy to just take Dover's date and move it there.

Now they have Nashville Superspeedway in the event the Nashville Fairgrounds thing doesn't go through, and if they do get North Wilkesboro reopened, it's easy to just take Dover's date and move it there.

I would probably prefer North Wilkesboro over Dover, but seriously, what incentive does SMI & NASCAR have losing the Dover market over another race in the Charlotte area? I’m confused.

Hmmmmm.......

I would probably prefer North Wilkesboro over Dover, but seriously, what incentive does SMI & NASCAR have losing the Dover market over another race in the Charlotte area? I’m confused.
Because it might be a dirt track. I don't see them putting dirt on Bristol every year. They're basically spending 6 months of the year adding dirt, grooming it, racing on it, taking it out, then cleaning up everything.

Well, this whole thing is probably more about Nashville than anything, but the incentive for closing Dover is that it sucks and a North Wilkesboro date excites fans.

Nashville Superspeedway has Dover's second date, it's Dover's track. If the Fairgrounds thing doesn't happen, now SMI owns that track and has their coveted Nashville date. If the Fairgrounds thing does happen, they don't have to deal with Nashville Superspeedway anymore.

Because it might be a dirt track. I don't see them putting dirt on Bristol every year. They're basically spending 6 months of the year adding dirt, grooming it, racing on it, taking it out, then cleaning up everything.
That's the rumor, they're just gonna tear up the asphalt and lay dirt down - at least for now.

That Nashville Super Speedway only has under contract 3 more races with Nascar. I would imagine something will need to be done about that shortly

That Nashville Super Speedway only has under contract 3 more races with Nascar. I would imagine something will need to be done about that shortly

Because the Nashville Fairgrounds track is supposed to be hosting Cup racing soon. If that doesn't pan out, they'd almost certainly keep racing at Nashville Superspeedway ... and now Speedway Motorsports is guaranteed their Nashville date.

As for the whole Dover deal, if that market becomes important but Dover International Speedway ends up closing, there's always the road course in Southern New Jersey.

They ran enough events there this year that it probably makes financial sense to spend the money bring dirt in

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

They ran enough events there this year that it probably makes financial sense to spend the money bring dirt in

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk
I would not be shocked if it becomes a dedicated dirt track in the near future

Because the Nashville Fairgrounds track is supposed to be hosting Cup racing soon. If that doesn't pan out, they'd almost certainly keep racing at Nashville Superspeedway ... and now Speedway Motorsports is guaranteed their Nashville date.

As for the whole Dover deal, if that market becomes important but Dover International Speedway ends up closing, there's always the road course in Southern New Jersey.
NJMP is not a Cup ready facility

I was referring to Bristol, but Wilkesboro being dirt is infinitely more likely than not
Yeah. What I was getting at (which is what I think you were saying) is that they'll make North Wilkesboro dirt full time to replace having to add dirt to Bristol. Win win I guess. They'll have a dirt race for whatever the hell reason and we'll get our second Bristol race back.

Yeah. What I was getting at (which is what I think you were saying) is that they'll make North Wilkesboro dirt full time to replace having to add dirt to Bristol. Win win I guess. They'll have a dirt race for whatever the hell reason and we'll get our second Bristol race back.
Don't expect 2 Bristol races every year

That would be a CATASTROPHIC mistake on NASCAR's part.
Not necessarily. Give it a few years for the new schedules to be released. There may be a lot of changes and some are very intriguing, which could benefit the sport financially AND us die-hards. There is more going on behind the scenes than you will care to know

Not necessarily. Give it a few years for the new schedules to be released. There may be a lot of changes and some are very intriguing, which could benefit the sport financially AND us die-hards. There is more going on behind the scenes than you will care to know
1636563934197.png

I fully expect North Wilkesboro and probably Rockingham to be re-worked into the schedule. DBC has teased some major schedule upheaval, with a lot centered around street races.

I'm also on board with a vast majority of tracks only getting one date. Keep the classics and crown jewels at two (Daytona, Charlotte, Bristol, Darlington), then use remainder to go to more markets.
Hmmmm........

Hmmmm.......
North Wilkesboro becomes annual dirt race
Rockingham gets 1 date.
Add street course races in say Miami, Nashville, Baltimore (did it for Indy for a few years)
Go to Pacific Northwest (Portland? Seattle streets?)
Gateway 1 date
Nashville Fairgrounds 1 date

All those seem highly possible/likely to me

North Wilkesboro becomes annual dirt race
Rockingham gets 1 date.
Add street course races in say Miami, Nashville, Baltimore (did it for Indy for a few years)
Go to Pacific Northwest (Portland? Seattle streets?)
Gateway 1 date
Nashville Fairgrounds 1 date

All those seem highly possible/likely to me
You are correct with at least 2 😉

I'm also on board with a vast majority of tracks only getting one date. Keep the classics and crown jewels at two (Daytona, Charlotte, Bristol, Darlington), then use remainder to go to more markets.
Can some of these tracks survive with only one weekend? In particular, the ovals?

There's a difference between Cup and ALL of NASCAR's other series....

Keep that in mind going forward
Well part of the charm was lost when the schedule became homologated. It was better (IMHO) when the lower series had their own unique schedules and tracks, and the companion events then became really special and prestigious. I don't hold the fantasies of Xfinity or Trucks ever returning to 3/8 bullrings like South Boston, IRP, and Orange County, but it would be damned cool if they would.

Well part of the charm is the schedule became homologated. It was better (IMHO) when the lower series had their own unique schedules and tracks, and the companion events then became really special and prestigious. I don't hold the fantasies of Xfinity or Trucks ever returning to 3/8 bullrings like South Boston, IRP, and Orange County, but it would be damned cool if they would.
Easier on the networks when everything is in one location.

Back
Top Bottom