2022 Silly Season

Rick hasn't shown he's actually interested in stepping up. You don't build a successful team by changing the (arguably) most important person on a weekly basis. You don't become successful by biting off three cars more than you can chew. RWR is a live demonstration of why the synergies and financial advantages of a multi-car organization don't always pay off on the track.

I don't put him in the same category with the other lower echelon teams. I may make fun of some of them but I think they're in racing because they want to be in racing, not because having a charter can be a successful business model.
Thing is he will be stepping up with the new car, how could he not? Its vendor driven and most of the critical components will be shared by everyone. If things work out like I think they will the competition will be tighter than ever

My only issue with RWR is I have yet to see ANY evidence they are actually trying to improve as a team, just make money off the system. RWR is the Chicago Cubs of MOST of my lifetime. It didn't really matter how much the team sucked, because they sold lots of tickets and had a lucrative TV deal. (Ironically enough, I just purchased tickets to go to a game with several family members, and they trade their three best players). I guess if he ends up making gazillions of dollars off his charters, than more power to him, but I just don't believe that if you're SERIOUS about being a contender, you stretch yourself thin and water everything down the way they do. It's JD Stacy without the fraud.
I agree with you for the most part. This is an unintended consequence of the charter system and in a few years I'm hopeful it will be replaced with some form of a hybrid luxury tax system similar to the MLB and EPL (soccer). If you spend over a set annual limit you'll be fined and if you don't spend enough and struggle for consecutive years, you'll be forced to move DOWN the ladder to Xfinity, Trucks, ARCA, etc.

I agree with you for the most part. This is an unintended consequence of the charter system and in a few years I'm hopeful it will be replaced with some form of a hybrid luxury tax system similar to the MLB and EPL (soccer). If you spend over a set annual limit you'll be fined and if you don't spend enough and struggle for consecutive years, you'll be forced to move DOWN the ladder to Xfinity, Trucks, ARCA, etc.
Or
like I’ve said before
have cup and xfinity run the same car on the same weekends
basically every team is a cup team only difference is the wins
Sunday cup series race would be for any cup team has won a race in last two years
Saturday xfinity series race would be for any team that have not won in last two years
you win an xfinity race you move up to cup the very next race
As long as you win at least once in a two year window you can stay in cup
go past the two year window on wins you drop down the very next race
this would make xfinity a true feeder series to cup
you don’t race cup till you win in xfinity

there is no xfinity champion only a cup champion

there is no buying a ride in cup
you have to win to get in

if you don't spend enough and struggle for consecutive years, you'll be forced to move DOWN the ladder to Xfinity, Trucks, ARCA, etc.

One of the problems with this idea is it ignores sponsorship deals. Sponsors sign to run Cup teams, not X teams. A borderline team that may already have problems signing a sponsor isn't going to get a better reaction if they tell that sponsor, "By the way, we not always run Cup races."

Another problem is that X teams aren't always interested in running Cup. They either can't afford it on their current sponsorship, or they're designed purely as a stepping stone for developing talent, or one car is a cash cow for other cars on the team.

new cars or not the teams with the most money and the best people will still win most of the races.

One of the problems with this idea is it ignores sponsorship deals. Sponsors sign to run Cup teams, not X teams. A borderline team that may already have problems signing a sponsor isn't going to get a better reaction if they tell that sponsor, "By the way, we not always run Cup races."

Another problem is that X teams aren't always interested in running Cup. They either can't afford it on their current sponsorship, or they're designed purely as a stepping stone for developing talent, or one car is a cash cow for other cars on the team.
I used xfinity loosely to separate the two series
in reality they are all cup
only thing that separates is the will to want to race on Sunday

as example
Jeb Burton won earlier this year Jeb and his team would be running on Sunday
His team can still spend same amount of money that they had, knowing they have two years to get another win

Ty Gibbs would not move up cause he’s not running full schedule

new cars or not the teams with the most money and the best people will still win most of the races.
Right, always been that way

but on Saturday you don’t have any winning cup drivers dropping down
its like a qualifying race, you win you move up to race on Sunday

only thing that separates is the will to want to race on Sunday
By my count of Cup and X winners for 2019 and 2020 (Racing Reference), the 2021 D500 would have started a 26-car field.

Then there's fantasy teams and sports books that will want to discuss this.

Last edited:
Sounds about right

back to what started this conversation
On Sunday
There would be no start n park teams
And no team racing just because they bought a charter

you want to race on Sunday you have to win

Or
like I’ve said before
have cup and xfinity run the same car on the same weekends
basically every team is a cup team only difference is the wins
Sunday cup series race would be for any cup team has won a race in last two years
Saturday xfinity series race would be for any team that have not won in last two years
As long as you win at least once in a two year window you can stay in cup
this would make xfinity a true feeder series to cup
you don’t race cup till you win in xfinity

there is no xfinity champion only a cup champion

there is no buying a ride in cup
you have to win to get in
If you move the winner up every week, the lower series would be empty by the end of the year and the main cup series would have 60 or more cars.

Thing is he will be stepping up with the new car, how could he not? Its vendor driven and most of the critical components will be shared by everyone. If things work out like I think they will the competition will be tighter than ever

New car or not, SOMEBODY is going to finish 30th or worse every week. No reason to believe it won't be the same cast of characters it is now, especially with the influx of teams that WILL try to be competitive. Maybe they will only be three laps off the pace instead of five next year.

New car or not, SOMEBODY is going to finish 30th or worse every week. No reason to believe it won't be the same cast of characters it is now, especially with the influx of teams that WILL try to be competitive. Maybe they will only be three laps off the pace instead of five next year.
Really? Somebody will actually run poorly and finish worse then someone else? Imagine that. I said I think the competition even from the lower teams will be better than it is today and I believe it will be. They wont be running yesterdays cars with outdated spindles, control arms and a a body like a brick in comparison to what they run against today. We shall see wont we.

Yes, it's quite possible that the competition will be much tighter, but somebody ALWAYS brings up the rear, regardless by how much. Even in an IROC race, somebody finished last. What evidence is there that RWR is suddenly going to leapfrog over several other teams that ALSO have the new car? RWR is so far off the pace, it's going to take more than an "equal" car to vastly improve their lot. In order to truly improve, Rick would seemingly have to hire better people, get better drivers or spend more money on the team. Is he doing any of that? That's one of the unspoken truths of the new car. While it may make it POSSIBLE for lower level teams to be more competitive, unless those teams actively make moves to step up their game, they're going to be running pretty much where they are now. I think the new car CAN help mid level operations like RPM and JTG, but I really don't see much of anything changing in the back third of the field. If anything, I expect it to get worse for them with more new cars fielded by teams with higher aspirations. Unless attrition becomes a thing again, there is going to be fewer cars they can just outlast by logging laps on a regular basis.

Start and park has been dead for years, at least at the Cup level. Even RWR runs until they wreck, expire, or get black flagged. There isn't enough money in X or Trucks to make it viable in those series.
Carl Long's teams were doing it before qualifying was removed this year. They'd take the money from those teams and use it for the ones that actually raced. But now, they have become another rent-a-ride program.

wonder if Kurt when he goes to 23XI if he will run the 45 since that was MJ's other number briefly with the Bulls when he came out of retirement in the mid 90's. To my recollection, I dont think the 45 is run in Cup as of right now.

I still lurk . Honestly, there hasn’t even been much fun gossip to share for quite a while (at least that got to me early). TrackHouse buying CGR was the best kept secret I have ever seen since my time in racing. Absolutely no one knew.
What's up man, glad you're back.

Any word on the 38 next year? I'm wondering if Alfredo stays, or if they bring in Matt D or Preece instead.

I thought it was bad when they forced him to drive.
But being forced to work a desk job has got to be even tougher on Jeff.
And people wonder about why he don't care anymore.
I look on the good side, at least he didn't have to drive the car with those hideous clown car paint jobs anymore.

But being forced to work a desk job has got to be even tougher on Jeff.
My understanding is they're going to take the front end off T-Rex all the way through the firewall. They'll butt Jeff's desk up to where the dash used to be, replace the windshield with monitors, replace the steering wheel with a keyboard, wire an old helmet mike and speakers into Zoom, and convert the shifter into a joystick.

He'll still have to crawl in the window.

My understanding is they're going to take the front end off T-Rex all the way through the firewall. They'll butt Jeff's desk up to where the dash used to be, replace the windshield with monitors, replace the steering wheel with a keyboard, wire an old helmet mike and speakers into Zoom, and convert the shifter into a joystick.

He'll still have to crawl in the window.
Evernham clock that chimes on the hour and half hour saying, you would be nothing without me rainbow boy

Evernham clock that chimes on the hour and half hour saying, you would be nothing without me rainbow boy
Once a week, Johnson pulls the IndyCar up outside the exec suite, points in the windows at Jeff, and just laughs and laughs and laughs, and then peels out.

Barney Oldfield was fond of saying that he and Henry Ford had made each other, but that he (Oldfield) had done much the better job of it. Ray could probably say that about Jeff, but neither one of them are missing any meals. :D

Back
Top Bottom