2022 Silly Season

I fundamentally do not get Bob Jenkins at all.

Gonna start off with saying I think Alfredo getting the boot from the #38 is a blessing in disguise for him. I'm not a huge fan but it's clear he has some semblance of talent, and it'll be wasted riding around in 29th for another year in one of those FRM crapwagons.

But really. Bob is an enigma to me. He refuses to spend money to improve the team(he contacted toyota in 2017 inquiring about a switch, then ran back home with his tail in between his legs for another year of mediocrity), but also refuses to land a big payday by selling those two(or hell, sell one) to a team that has money to burn. (You can't convince me otherwise that Ford didn't have SOMETHING planned for FRM if they bowed out of cup.)

I repeat, I do not understand that man.
Maybe that's his secret genius.

Oh well. At least he's more tolerable than the other Bob that bowed out of the sport recently.

Anyway. Don't expect Matt to go to the 38. Hell, I'd wager he won't be in anything come February, unless Mike Lindell starts MyPillow Racing. There's a few options floating out there for the 38, some probably you all have thought of, one or two that I doubt is on anyone's radar. Maybe if nothing comes of them I'll come back and spill.
(Been a while since I've last been here. Hope y'all have been well.)
Gilliland had 16 top 10's and 5 top 5's and a win in the trucks at COTA. McDowell had a big payday in Cup winning Daytona. I bet many team owners would like to have a season that good.

I fundamentally do not get Bob Jenkins at all.

Gonna start off with saying I think Alfredo getting the boot from the #38 is a blessing in disguise for him. I'm not a huge fan but it's clear he has some semblance of talent, and it'll be wasted riding around in 29th for another year in one of those FRM crapwagons.

But really. Bob is an enigma to me. He refuses to spend money to improve the team(he contacted toyota in 2017 inquiring about a switch, then ran back home with his tail in between his legs for another year of mediocrity), but also refuses to land a big payday by selling those two(or hell, sell one) to a team that has money to burn. (You can't convince me otherwise that Ford didn't have SOMETHING planned for FRM if they bowed out of cup.)

I repeat, I do not understand that man.
Maybe that's his secret genius.

Oh well. At least he's more tolerable than the other Bob that bowed out of the sport recently.

Anyway. Don't expect Matt to go to the 38. Hell, I'd wager he won't be in anything come February, unless Mike Lindell starts MyPillow Racing. There's a few options floating out there for the 38, some probably you all have thought of, one or two that I doubt is on anyone's radar. Maybe if nothing comes of them I'll come back and spill.
(Been a while since I've last been here. Hope y'all have been well.)

“And THATS THE BOTTOM LINE!!!”

FE2B5C52-FDA0-4023-8BBF-DBD2EE276237.gif

Truex, Logano, and Harvick want to talk to you :biggrin:
Truex started with Dale Jr, Harvick was racing for Childress and Logano wasn't doing anything with JGR. That isn't the point anyway. You said Larson was an anomaly. That means unusual OR unexpected. In that case, who was surprised when Larson did well in a Hendrick car?
To piggy back off these points I personally didnt expect Larson to have the season he had in the first season with his new team. I always was of the thinking that it takes a crew chief and driver time to figure out how to work with each other. @RacerrecaR said the season was an anomaly...maybe. We dont see this in the first season usually with a new driver, new team and new crew chief all working together. Usually. Yes Kevin Harvick in 14 would like a word with me as it was the first season of him and Rodney together at SHR. Truex? I thought he raced a season with FRR before he won his championship but my memory might be wrong. As for this season I thought Larson's ceiling was a few wins and maybe a Semi Final Round playoff appearance. He broke through that glass, ceiling roof the whole damn house. Shows what I know. But i'd be interested to look at previous seasons of drivers with new teams and see how it played out. I think Harv and especially Larson might be an exception.

From my biased perspective the "crew carries driver" movement among some fans was a way to justify Jimmie Johnson whooping their favorite guys every Sunday, and later on Truex doing the same. Give either of those crews a driver who isn't elite then those results don't happen.
Jimmie was that damn good.

But today more than era, I think driver impact is as minimal as it's ever been. Not to take anything from Larson, because he absolutely is a difference maker, but I think the gap between top tier drivers in particular has been equalized by the gen 6 and current package.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

But today more than era, I think driver impact is as minimal as it's ever been. Not to take anything from Larson, because he absolutely is a difference maker, but I think the gap between top tier drivers in particular has been equalized by the gen 6 and current package.

that might change with the new car in 99 days.

How do you figure

To me, the wording used ("secured... for next season") sounds like a lease, not a purchase. Of course, it's always risky to parse the language used in a tweet too deeply.. :idunno:

Spire reportedly bought the StarCom charter, giving them two charters but only one announced car on track in 2022, so that one could be leased to 23XI. Or Rick Ware could lease one of his four charters to 23XI. Nascar will announce details in due time.

If 23XI indeed leased rather than bought the charter, that would imply they are hedging against lower charter prices at this time next year. They are probably worried that the recent run up in charter values will prove to be a temporary spike followed by a softer market next year.

OTOH, if the rumors about a fourth OEM prove to be correct, current charter prices might look like good value. I think insiders in the stock car industry know more about it than anyone here.

Did spire actually have any plans for the charter?

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

+1.

Martinsville x2, Richmond x2. Cap the double events at that. 😎
I think the doubles should be Charlotte, Bristol (no dirt), Daytona, and Martinsville. Even Talladega goes down to 1, especially with Atlanta being a now de facto plate race.

I guess this makes it official, ha ha. To be honest, it's a little sad watching 'the cat in the hat' getting written out of the team twitter bio.

Wishing good luck to Brad K. He's betting all the chips on the notion that the Next Gen car will enable teams with less resources to compete in cup racing. I hope he's right about that!

I can understand the woe is me mentality when you’re getting replaced by a guy with 0 Xfinity wins in a JGR car full time in 2021.

I think Matt is a better driver than Harrison but he still wore out his welcome.

That's nothing new. Wad Burton had more talent than Jeff Burton imo. But he didn't know how to his kiss corporate A as well. I think he could have been a much a bigger star if he had worked the PR better. It's part of the game I don't like but the cars don't pay for themselves you have to be a good spokesperson on every level.

Back
Top Bottom