2024 IndyCar News/Misc.

Wouldn't mind attending Detroit but man those ticket prices are not low at all. I'm not crazy about paying Indy 500 prices for a street race in Detroit
I bought a Sunday only ticket for the parking garages since I'm hoping the weather stays away long enough that Butler gets in the High Limit feature. Excited to see the new circuit after many really wonderful years at Belle Isle.

Now, I wouldn't be upset, but DCR?

Ngl, this seems like a crazy fit, but if Mick is desperate enough to get back into single-seaters and Dale can get a deal done, good for them. But I was more expecting that if Mick were to come into the series it’d be with Prema.

I think it would be great to get a full-time German driver in the series. There hasn’t really be any notable German presence ever in the history of the sport, and the last German start at all was maybe that random Lucas Luhr one-off in 2013?

Ngl, this seems like a crazy fit, but if Mick is desperate enough to get back into single-seaters and Dale can get a deal done, good for them. But I was more expecting that if Mick were to come into the series it’d be with Prema.

I think it would be great to get a full-time German driver in the series. There hasn’t really be any notable German presence ever in the history of the sport, and the last German start at all was maybe that random Lucas Luhr one-off in 2013?
That would be awesome but the article makes it quite clear that this is unlikely to happen soon. Coyne has reached out to Mick but he is currently busy driving for Alpine in WEC and as a test driver for the Mercedes F1 team.
It also says Mick is still clinging onto the hope of returning to F1 full-time but Alpine would rather have Doohan or Martins and he's also not on the shortlist for Haas, Sauber, Merc or any other team.

I’ve had two significant figures in the IndyCar paddock and one big name outside of IndyCar tell me NBC has offered to place all races on network in a new deal, but they said Penske hasn’t jumped at the opportunity and is continuing to fish for the biggest payout.
I’ve also heard from multiple sources that heading out of Detroit, the prevailing belief is we’ll be setting our DVRs for FOX, FOX Sports 1, and maybe even FOX Sports 2 next year and beyond to watch IndyCar racing. I’ve heard NASCAR on FOX veteran Adam Alexander is a strong candidate to lead the broadcasts.

Fox? That's... disappointing.
From what I’ve seen, about 90% of the fan base feels that way.

All races on big NBC and Roger says no? WTF?
Hopefully it is simply a bargaining tactic for more money from NBC. If FOX winds up getting it after all this it’s likely because the series will be getting money similar to what ESPN/ABC gives F1 annually ($75-90M), or about 4x what IndyCar currently gets at around $20M. It has to be a healthy increase to turn down a wholly OTA package, and Peacock has become an increasingly good streaming option too.

Hopefully it is simply a bargaining tactic for more money from NBC. If FOX winds up getting it after all this it’s likely because the series will be getting money similar to what ESPN/ABC gives F1 annually ($75-90M), or about 4x what IndyCar currently gets at around $20M. It has to be a healthy increase to turn down a wholly OTA package, and Peacock has become an increasingly good streaming option too.
Bingo. Also it would be largely a lateral move from the current situation on NBC, though obviously this is in contrast to the "all network deal" NBC is offering. Just to further point some stuff out that people don't necessarily connect dots on: the money for the Leaders Circle payments are in part from the TV deal. If the TV deal increases in value substantially and Leaders Circle is replaced with a franchise/charter system, that makes a charter/franchise potentially quite valuable.

Oh, and in the FAFO files, Juncos Hollinger Racing lost their partnership with McLaren over Canapino winding up his fans to threaten Pourchaire with murder.
Probably not enough to break them, but since it's now twice, everyone knows what to expect from their fans.

Juncos and Canapino have no one to blame but themselves for how they’ve reacted, unfortunately. Crazy - that minnow team was heralded for their David v. Goliath bumping of Alonso at the 500 five years ago and now they look like a pack of assholes on a consistent basis. How Ilott was treated there was very poor as well, right down to how Ricardo handled his termination.

Wish they would cash out and sell their two charters to Prema whenever that system is formalized.

Totally unacceptable. You sign a driver, you need to give him a season to adapt. If you are worried about leaders circle, then sign a more experienced driver. Just shameful.

Totally unacceptable. You sign a driver, you need to give him a season to adapt. If you are worried about leaders circle, then sign a more experienced driver. Just shameful.
I generally agree, but Tom was signed to a multi-year deal knowing MSR were trying to get back into IMSA ASAP, and now it appears they’ll be getting back the Acura program all to themselves with two cars for 2025. He’ll still have a home with the team if he wants it, and I assume he will. Though I do wonder if this would’ve been handled differently if he didn’t crash in the first corner of the Indy 500. My guess is it would have.

The rationale for Canapino's absence, in case it wasn't obvious from some of the comments he and his wife made, is that he is claiming to be the victim of bullying by McLaren and needs time away due to the abuse. I can't make this up.

Told you.

As you said, in the past year it has happened on three occasions. McLaren and I bet Chevy had something to say as well considering Canapino's presence with the brand in Argentina.

Far too much drama to continue, so the best thing to do is to let him either find something new in the US or let him continue to race touring cars in Argentina.

The only way this whole ordeal could be any better would be if Grosjean took out Canapio this weekend.

The only way this whole ordeal could be any better would be if Grosjean took out Canapio this weekend.
That's the new RF Pick 'Ems game - pick which driver Romain will punt this week. You can only pick a driver once. Points are awarded based on where your pick was running at the time his personal space was argy'ed.

Benched for being unable to log the **** off:

"It got worse and worse, the mental abuse," JHR team principal David O'Neill told IndyStar in an exclusive interview minutes after the conclusion of Friday's practice, noting that Canapino had been unable to easily peel himself away from his phone and the fallout of his statement. "In the job he has, it's very important to be 100% focused, and if you take your eye off the ball, or if there's anything sending you sideways or sending you astray, and you're not 100% focused … it just became more apparent that we had to help him do something about it."

Pretty interesting to note that the decision seems to have been made between the team principal and Brad Hollinger, the main money man. No mention of Ricardo whatsoever.

Full-field hybrid test at the Mile today - sounds like systems continue to work well and there’s reasonable optimism for how it’s going to affect the racing. Also a general sense of optimism for how the track is going to race after a decade away come Labor Day weekend.

A lot of people very upset about this. I like much of the NBC crew too. For starters I really hope Hinch moves over. However, there is little doubt that the series as a whole needs a new direction. Will be interesting to see if Fox has them end the season before the NFL starts.

A lot of people very upset about this. I like much of the NBC crew too. For starters I really hope Hinch moves over. However, there is little doubt that the series as a whole needs a new direction. Will be interesting to see if Fox has them end the season before the NFL starts.

This really sucks.

IndyCar on NBC is the best motorsports broadcast in the country by a southern mile. My interest in IndyCar will plummet dramatically when Fox takes over.

Hopefully NBC steps up on their IMSA coverage now.

Un-freaking-believable.

How does Indycar even consider FOX as an option after seeing their NASCAR production quality? And they're likely gonna get the B-level budget/quality like the Xfinity series/trucks for all the races but the 500.

Un-freaking-believable.

How does Indycar even consider FOX as an option after seeing their NASCAR production quality? And they're likely gonna get the B-level budget/quality like the Xfinity series/trucks for all the races but the 500.
At face value this move sucks, but we’ve yet to see what the network splits will be, as well as what the financial terms are. Most recent rumor was that FOX had responded to NBC’s latest counteroffer with a full OTA slate of their own. TBA whether that’s true. Obviously, it would also be more palatable if this takes the series from $20M/year to something more like $80M. If it winds up being closer to $30M or $40M…ehh.

I think the production quality should actually be okay as long as IMS Productions retains control over most aspects of the broadcast, but that’s the key factor. Either Adam Alexander or bringing Kevin Lee over would make for competent PxP guys. I think you have to bring Hinch over as well, and I could take or leave T-Bell.

I agree with Andy - hopefully this also allows for more linear/OTA opportunities for IMSA. And I would expect to see even more Diffey there than what he already does.

At face value this move sucks, but we’ve yet to see what the network splits will be, as well as what the financial terms are. Most recent rumor was that FOX had responded to NBC’s latest counteroffer with a full OTA slate of their own. TBA whether that’s true. Obviously, it would also be more palatable if this takes the series from $20M/year to something more like $80M. If it winds up being closer to $30M or $40M…ehh.

I think the production quality should actually be okay as long as IMS Productions retains control over most aspects of the broadcast, but that’s the key factor. Either Adam Alexander or bringing Kevin Lee over would make for competent PxP guys. I think you have to bring Hinch over as well, and I could take or leave T-Bell.

I agree with Andy - hopefully this also allows for more linear/OTA opportunities for IMSA. And I would expect to see even more Diffey there than what he already does.
Leigh Diffey on IMSA and NASCAR is must see TV.

It's going to suck not having Peacock as an option anymore.
Eh, I think I only used it when I had to. My local internet provider has their own app that mirrors their cable service, so I stream NBC from that. I prefer it because it doesn't skip over the side-by-side commercials.

Back
Top Bottom