2024 NASCAR Schedules

Not sure why there's so much opposition to the Indy roval. I think it's produced some good to great races across both series, once they got the turtle issues worked out.

Is it the layout itself people don't like, or that it's being run instead of the oval? (I can understand this to some extent, as I feel the same way about the Chicago street course costing Road America a race.) If each layout had a separate date, would the opposition to the r/c be as strong?

- the oval is much more prestigious to race/win on.
- the road course design is pretty decent given what they had to work with, but any road course with a completely flat layout is never going to be awe-inspiring.
- if the road course was its own independent track with the racing/layout/optics of it currently, no way NASCAR would race on it... we're just there so we can technically say we race at Indianapolis. There's better road courses out there NASCAR could/should be racing at... we're only on the Indy RC out of... "moral" obligation.

Just my $.02.

This pretty much confirms NO OVAL next year... :bleh:

1692024523945.png

Not sure why there's so much opposition to the Indy roval. I think it's produced some good to great races across both series, once they got the turtle issues worked out.

Is it the layout itself people don't like, or that it's being run instead of the oval? (I can understand this to some extent, as I feel the same way about the Chicago street course costing Road America a race.) If each layout had a separate date, would the opposition to the r/c be as strong?

In a perfect world, we keep the Chicago Street Race, return to the IMS oval, and replace one of Richmond's dates with Road America.

The first race was such an epic disaster that it might as well have said "Directed by Roland Emmerich" at the end.

The ratings for the oval race vastly eclipse the road course. Regardless of what fans and the media thought, and regardless of the empty seat pictures, that was still a big race. (Those stands look much emptier now than they did on the oval BTW.) To the drivers, it was still one of the majors, along with Daytona, Charlotte and Darlington. And, again, the TV ratings agreed - whether it was on ESPN or NBCSN.

This pretty much confirms NO OVAL next year... :bleh:

View attachment 72198
It wouldn’t be the first race to be changed or cut after renewals were opened. Based off of this interview with Doug Boles, it still sounds like it’s pretty likely as long as the test isn’t a disaster. But he didn’t rule out going back to the road course if it flops.

Also pretty candidly ruled out two dates or a road course/oval doubleheader of any kind.

Flex admission for IMS won't change much between now and next year and they probably won't bother to open the whole of the stands between Turns 3 and entry to 4 as there simply isn't an audience for it. GA can be the entire infield. I would be absolutely stunned if they don't run the oval.

Personally, my take on NASCAR at IMS is this: Xfinity belongs at IRP like the trucks. You want a support series? You got three tracks at IMS. Run the Outlaws or USAC or Lucas Oil Late Models Saturday evening after practice (just make it a thing again, IDC) and qualifying later in the afternoon. All problems solved.

If I had the chance to renew those turn 2 seats for $60, I'd be all over them. If this race does indeed return to the oval, those should scalp nicely.

I doubt the track would do itself out of that kind of money if it thought it could get more for the seats.

One other thing to point out about renewals - it shows Indycar going to run a GP on Saturday again in 2024. Everyone and their mom following Indycar knows this is the last summer IMS road course race for at least a little while.

DBC anticipates a double header on a Wednesday/Thursday and Sunday, but it may be at different tracks. Olympic break is expected.

I hope they reconsider that. Vegas needs to be on a weekend, IMO, given how many people fly-in/travel for that race.

Now that I think about it... if Vegas is a Wed/Thurs in March I could definitely make it so (unlike if it's a weekend)... let's go!!!

I gather from Bob’s tweet there’s going to be two at Bristol next year. Good. I don’t want to live in a world with one Bristol race.

A lot of people watched and attend the Brickyard in the past. If the new car does well on the oval it would be worth looking into bringing it back.

Three years after last tweeting, Kentucky Speedway posted on Twitter yesterday and will have Rusty Wallace Racing Experience cars on track after mostly being a holding ground for unfinished Ford trucks during the chip shortage. Probably doesn’t mean anything but kinda nice to see it active again. Matt Weaver said he’d heard it was a tough sell with regard to hospitality and sponsorship activation.

Three years after last tweeting, Kentucky Speedway posted on Twitter yesterday and will have Rusty Wallace Racing Experience cars on track after mostly being a holding ground for unfinished Ford trucks during the chip shortage. Probably doesn’t mean anything but kinda nice to see it active again. Matt Weaver said he’d heard it was a tough sell with regard to hospitality and sponsorship activation.

Saw this yesterday. I have zero desire to see it back on Cup schedule but if it does come back I wouldn’t be too upset. I’ll take Kentucky rising from the ashes instead of another road course being added

Saw this yesterday. I have zero desire to see it back on Cup schedule but if it does come back I wouldn’t be too upset. I’ll take Kentucky rising from the ashes instead of another road course being added

It’s got to be hard for NASCAR to figure out what fans want. Not long ago people were clamoring for more road courses and now they want less.

It’s got to be hard for NASCAR to figure out what fans want. Not long ago people were clamoring for more road courses and now they want less.
It's impossible I think. I would imagine that they have problems between themselves figuring out a schedule. It ranges from people who want nothing but straight oval racing, all the way to fans that like variety with ovals, road racing and street courses, including racing on the dirt.

I’ve always been of the mind it’s the car and aero packages run at certain tracks that cause like and dislike amongst the fandom. I don’t think you’ll ever please everyone. I wasn’t celebrating when they were like 8 road courses/rovals on the schedule, Daytona Roval was cool though.

Combined with the fact that nobody misses that track.

I still say NASCAR should race at Churchill Downs if they ever go back to that state.
I see a decent amount of fans in the area who otherwise just have IMS within a good driving distance who’d like it back, or for IndyCar to race there (I agree with that one at least). It’s also picked up some steam since intermediates got fun again.

I’m pretty sure race cars at Churchill would be sacrilege, or something.

Back
Top Bottom