2024 NASCAR Schedules

Raced well is massively subjective

others around socials felt the same way .

There's a well established pattern of NASCAR fans hating something until NASCAR gets rid of it and then suddenly finding their love for it. See: the nostalgia for places like mile and a half like Kentucky and Chicagoland.

There's a well established pattern of NASCAR fans hating something until NASCAR gets rid of it and then suddenly finding their love for it. See: the nostalgia for places like mile and a half like Kentucky and Chicagoland.
The funny thing about that is most places the fans wanted to ax a few years ago, this new car is racey at. I’ve never subscribed to the theory it’s a tracks fault people arnt entertained, it could be an aero package with the car. The tracks you listed up above Id bet you get a better than a 50 percent chance that if you ran a race there next week, fans would love how the next gen races there.

History, schmistory. The new car has shown it can definitely put on a better show at some tracks previously criticized. That's enough to warrant another run at the oval. But don't hand me 'tradition'; NASCAR has dumped older habits in the last ten years without regard.

Idk how NHMS is similar to Indy but I won't miss the Indy road course one bit, especially turn one.
Both flat tracks? I won’t miss the Indy road course on the nascar schedule or the 2nd date on the Indy menu either

History, schmistory. The new car has shown it can definitely put on a better show at some tracks previously criticized. That's enough to warrant another run at the oval. But don't hand me 'tradition'; NASCAR has dumped older habits in the last ten years without regard.
Nascar will always be a "Oh me too" at Indy, an outlier, spoken in hushed tones among the open wheel squishy shoes set as "oh those people"like a drunken uncle. Nothing is going to change that. Gerbils yapping a mile a minute ignoring the empty stands for hours of single file no passing action. I think the oval is the worst track on the schedule and a terrible look for the sport. Tradition? there isn't any tradition for Nascar racing at Indy.

I say give the new car a shot on the oval and if the results aren't very good then take Indy off the schedule the next year.

I lived an hour outside NYC til 2021. It could absolutely support a big NASCAR race. New England is a hotbed for racing. Pennsylvania and New York are huge for dirt, Connecticut is big on modifieds, and Lime Rock Park is a world-class road course. It's a head scratcher to me why Loudon and Pocono are built in the rural areas they are. A track in Connecticut or Massachusetts would do amazing and draw a huge population base.
Loudon was not always a NASCAR Track.
Bryar Motorsports Park in the 70s was the forerunner to NHIS, which the Bahres remodeled to attract NASCAR.
The Mattiolis built in Pocono in a area to be an 'escape' from regular tracks...
I'm thankful for both.

Nascar will always be a "Oh me too" at Indy, an outlier, spoken in hushed tones among the open wheel squishy shoes set as "oh those people"like a drunken uncle. Nothing is going to change that. Gerbils yapping a mile a minute ignoring the empty stands for hours of single file no passing action. I think the oval is the worst track on the schedule and a terrible look for the sport. Tradition? there isn't any tradition for Nascar racing at Indy.
Midwestern rednecks aren’t all that different from Southern rednecks. And the Indianapolis metro area has become one of NASCAR’s highest-rated TV markets on a regular basis, so I think the whole wine-and-cheese thing is well overplayed. This isn’t the crowd that’s showing up to the Las Vegas or Miami GPs.

Also pretty much any crowd would look empty at Indy considering how much grandstand capacity it has. A Daytona 500 grandstand sellout wouldn’t fill more than 40% of that place. There’s really nothing wrong with getting 50-60k there, that would be more than a sellout at many other spots on the calendar.

Midwestern rednecks aren’t all that different from Southern rednecks. And the Indianapolis metro area has become one of NASCAR’s highest-rated TV markets on a regular basis, so I think the whole wine-and-cheese thing is well overplayed. This isn’t the crowd that’s showing up to the Las Vegas or Miami GPs.

Also pretty much any crowd would look empty at Indy considering how much grandstand capacity it has. A Daytona 500 grandstand sellout wouldn’t fill more than 40% of that place. There’s really nothing wrong with getting 50-60k there, that would be more than a sellout at many other spots on the calendar.
What crowd lol.

It's been cool to besmirch the Brickyard 400 for a few years now. People like what they like. However drivers, teams and those in the industry always say how prestigious it is to win there and how it is one of their own events they circle on the calendar. I think that's cool, it enhances my viewing watching these guys try to win at Indy ( I liken it to a PGA Golfer trying to win a Major, only once a year they get a shot to win at one) and the aesthetic of NASCAR racing at one of the most tradition filled ( NASCAR has raced there going on almost 30 years now in some form. That counts for something imo), historic, and prestigious places that the world has to offer is a boon to the series. I know that I will try my best to attend next year if they go back to the OG Brickyard.

Nascar has tried more car reconfigurations to try to get a decent race out of Indy for years. It's a boring single file track with a diamond cut surface built specificaly for Indycars and it is crap for heavier Nascars who have to use a rock hard tire to survive the corners. There is no passing...ever. Truex knew that.

The road course at Indy is just as bad a look. Try going back to Road America or IRP.

The road course at Indy is just as bad a look. Try going back to Road America or IRP.
Eh, a big part of that was lack of track prep, Penske's turtles were a failure. The other part is Nascar could have gone with single file restart to help solve turn one clog ups. The oval is hopeless, the diamond cut track puts them on hockey pucks for tires and turns the place into a single lane 2 mile short track parade. I'm with you, Road America would be a good choice.

respectfully, I could swear that you chastised or poked fun at others for pointing out empty stands in years gone by at other tracks. You called them death bedders and counters, maybe I’m wrong. Why did you feel the need to call out those posts but then you post something like this?

respectfully, I could swear that you chastised or poked fun at others for pointing out empty stands in years gone by at other tracks. You called them death bedders and counters, maybe I’m wrong. Why did you feel the need to call out those posts but then you post something like this?
I've watched boring single file race after another at Indy. I remember Kahne could hardly stand after that fiasco, caution ridden mess of a race. Sat thru lap after lap of a parade, watched Nascar make change after change to the car to try to make it better unsuccessfully to race at the track and here we go again one more time. Tell ya what bud, you do you and I'll do me. I seldom dish ANY track, but this one they eliminated entirely and people like yourself want it back.
I said my piece about the track and that was it until you brought it up. Enjoy the race next year.

I've watched boring single file race after another at Indy. I remember Kahne could hardly stand after that fiasco, caution ridden mess of a race. Sat thru lap after lap of a parade, watched Nascar make change after change to the car to try to make it better unsuccessfully to race at the track and here we go again one more time. Tell ya what bud, you do you and I'll do me. I seldom dish ANY track, but this one they eliminated entirely and people like yourself want it back.
I said my piece about the track and that was it until you brought it up. Enjoy the race next year.
Well I just noticed your previous post now, I havent been able to be on as much lately. I have no problem with people liking what they like, it’s just imo a bit rich you’re making fun of the attendance when you yourself have gone after others for pointing out empty grandstands in the past. I’m not trying to get you to like Cup racing at the Indy oval or change your thinking, if you think its that boring god bless ya. Hopefully next year, fans will enjoy the proceedings from Indianapolis.

Well I just noticed your previous post now, I havent been able to be on as much lately. I have no problem with people liking what they like, it’s just imo a bit rich you’re making fun of the attendance when you yourself have gone after others for pointing out empty grandstands in the past. I’m not trying to get you to like Cup racing at the Indy oval or change your thinking, if you think its that boring god bless ya. Hopefully next year, fans will enjoy the proceedings from Indianapolis.
I didn't make fun of the attendance bud, I mentioned empty seats along with plenty of other things. I watched you make post after negative of negative posts about the Chicago race, most of them were after I posted some info about the race. You dug and dug and posted articles about some council person or somebody whining about traffic on and on and never did I pull the crap you are trying to pull making a mountain out of a molehill. Move on dude.

I didn't make fun of the attendance bud, I mentioned empty seats along with plenty of other things. I watched you make post after negative of negative posts about the Chicago race, most of them were after I posted some info about the race. You dug and dug and posted articles about some council person or somebody whining about traffic on and on and never did I pull the crap you are trying to pull making a mountain out of a molehill. Move on dude.
I owned up to being wrong, right after the race. So much so, I’m going to make up for it by digging into my wallet and buying a ticket when they will go on sale. The articles I posted were real time thoughts and issues that had a local flavor from where I live, I was trying to give a local perspective and did not mean for that to be perceived as negative

They had 60k at the final attended race there in 2019.
That brings up another controversial point. Deathbedders shout with glee at empty seats, and they never forget when seating is reduced. Most humans being herd animals/followers recognize positively for fuller seating compared to more sparse stands seating.

So Nascar reduced seating for a better look. Indy can't do that so the last statistic I saw for Indy was 50,000 and of course it looked empty.

It's along the lines of Bristol. Holding a damn good midget dirt race at Bristol, pulling in 20,000 fans which is a super draw for the midgets would tend to look like a failure to most of the population that care more for that kind of thing than those who thought it was a great race.

The Indy oval has both of those problems, not a good look and not that good of a race normally. Who knows, there IS the possibility of the new car making a difference and I wll gladly eat my words if the car does turn it around next year.

Eh, a big part of that was lack of track prep, Penske's turtles were a failure. The other part is Nascar could have gone with single file restart to help solve turn one clog ups. The oval is hopeless, the diamond cut track puts them on hockey pucks for tires and turns the place into a single lane 2 mile short track parade. I'm with you, Road America would be a good choice.
Would it be though? A symmetrical car allows for a large draft and you'd get Martinsville type battles into T1 & T4 in my opinion. Look how good Michigan is, side by side battles into turns are awesome now because you can't lean on that right side anymore.

Short tracks are where it's rough now tbh, it's just too hard to pass now

A lot of us like Chicagoland the last few years it was on the schedule. I think Kentucky would have gotten better with some aging of the new asphalt. The problem with that track is you have to go to Louisville or to Florence/Cincinnati to find a lot of hotels.

A lot of us like Chicagoland the last few years it was on the schedule. I think Kentucky would have gotten better with some aging of the new asphalt. The problem with that track is you have to go to Louisville or to Florence/Cincinnati to find a lot of hotels.
The last race at Kentucky was awesome. A lot of Kentucky's problem is T3-T4, that weird design absolutely destroyed tires and made passing impossible down there long into a long green flag run. Still, no reason they can't do a "floating" date with Road America/Kentucky by pulling Bristol's spring race.

So this is interesting, after Cup hauler parking , one of the teams driver and co-driver were chatting, co-driver briefly mentions next year, 42 races next year, 40 points and then the Clash/ASR, and doing a double header at Indy running the oval and RC.
Time stamped

So this is interesting, after Cup hauler parking , one of the teams driver and co-driver were chatting, co-driver briefly mentions next year, 42 races next year, 40 points and then the Clash/ASR, and doing a double header at Indy running the oval and RC.
Time stamped

Them old boys were a hoot to listen to. They couldn’t fathom 42 races in a year, is that the rumor in the industry? If that’s the case, for sure Cup are going to have to run Midweek races to get the season done in the same time frame as they do now. A double header for Indy is a good compromise for those that want the oval to come back and those that like the road course, just makes me wonder where else they could do a double header weekend like that….a midweek or friday night race on the Daytona roval then the next night the regular season finale on the oval would be tremendous, a mini speedweeks in August.

Not sure why there's so much opposition to the Indy roval. I think it's produced some good to great races across both series, once they got the turtle issues worked out.

Is it the layout itself people don't like, or that it's being run instead of the oval? (I can understand this to some extent, as I feel the same way about the Chicago street course costing Road America a race.) If each layout had a separate date, would the opposition to the r/c be as strong?

Back
Top Bottom