2024 Weather

Not exactly 2024, but...

I live about two hours from Greensburg, Kansas, which was all but destroyed back in 2007 by an EF5 tornado. They have a museum detailing the 109 foot hand-dug well the town is famous for. The tornado leveled the previous museum, but they've long since built a new one, but this museum is half about the well, the other half about the tornado. I've been wanting to go check out not only the museum, but the town as well just to see how the building progress has come along. I finally went, and honestly it was awesome to see. 95% of this town was completely destroyed and wiped off the map. In Kansas, and many other states for that matter, severe weather is part of life. The residents could have just taken what they could find, then move somewhere else. But instead, they rebuilt that town to make it possibly better than it was before. This tornado is really what got me into weather. If you're bored and have 25 minutes to spare, you can check out the Storm Stories episode on Youtube.

Been getting crazy amount of rain last 4-5 days. Think nearly 2 inches last night and pouring again right now. Big thunder boomers. Both Spectrum Internet & Verizon cell service has been up/down all day. Weird.

CAT UPDATE: With the absence of a NASCAR race, the cat update makes it’s debut in the weather thread. It’s 103 outside and Chloe was screaming at me to go out on the balcony. We were out for about 10-15 minutes before she decided she’d had enough and got up and headed to the door. It was 15 minutes too long for me, but she loved it.

IMG_1403.jpeg

While I hope it stays that way, the forecast is for 6" to 10" or more for the next 72 hours.
Thing is just crawling along. Cancelled a Doc appointment for tomorrow. Since truck is dead at Hardee's would have to ask neighbor to take me. Not gonna do that in bad weather.

Working on my old shop laptop. Started blue screening every 5 minutes or so. Removed/cleaned heat sink and replaced the fan. It seems strategy is...fan turns about 520 degrees and stops, waits for CPU to warm up before running. So not sure if fan was bad or not. Suspect it was fine. Heat sink wasn't all that badly plugged either. Had ton of thermal paste on CPU/heat sink. Like 8 laptops worth. So...not sure what I did but so far so good. Swapped memory from another laptop. Was only showing 6GB. Now 8GB but have 16 coming tomorrow if doesn't get washed away.

Bought a SSD to swap in. After just running bunch of test thru BIOS says it's fine. Think I'll still put in once it's made me feel like it's gonna work. Laptop warranty start date? 1/14/2013. She's old but a goody.

Laptop is fixed! Now have to keep it out of the rain. <keeping on topic>
16 GB of RAM, 68 driver updates and she's FLYING BABY! Might have been 6 or 8 driver updates? Bios/chipset/audio/video/mouse/keyboard/LAN/partridgeinapeartree. Took little while and 8-10 reboots but it's definitely faster. Hasn't crashed since fan/thermal paste replacement.

And it's quit raining. No Tsunami here either.

This is why yoooklahomans are so bat crap. They can't get a decent night's sleep when they're lying awake waiting for the next weather alert. :p

First time in several months where the AC hasn’t had to run at all. Can’t usually say that till September. Currently heavy cloud cover and 63 degrees. Even came home to my cat using her heated bed, which she hasn’t touched since Summer began.

We got a ****load of rain from Tropical Storm Debby combined with a stalled frontal boundary. It was still raining this morning and more rain on the way this afternoon. Then it should be a dry period.

Probably the worst storm I've experienced in over a decade just from all the rainfall and flooding.

74F at 5a, 85F now at 3p, heat index only 90, 10mph breeze. Two Mississippi Kites and a Glossy Ibis. Best day in three weeks.

Kinda mid-90ish for the next couple of days, over 100 in the beginning of next week then a slight cooling trend heading into next weekend. I like upper 80s and into mid 90s, after that it's just hot. We've had humidity lately in the mid-30% range which is a little uncomfortable, I'm used to drier heat.

Consistent temps reaching mid- 90s with humidity hovering around 80% here in Sarasota County, Florida. Here we go inside for the comfort of air conditioning and put outside projects on hold until seasonal, cooler morning temperatures prevail.

It isn't bad all the time as some days we do get a nice breeze from the Gulf of Mexico since we are only a mile, as the crow flies, from the beaches.
Early morning walks, when it isn't mid 80s to start the day, greet us with a beautiful pinkish, red, sunrise and that, along with sunsets that are spectacular make up a little for the ungodly hot, sweltering, days.
I'm reduced to using the treadmill in the exercise room since it is too hot to walk outside even early morning so still getting my exercise. :cool:

Back
Top Bottom