2025 NASCAR TV contract

I can’t get a single station with an antenna.

I’m sure most of these kids don’t know how to plug in an antenna.

These kids shouldn't bitch about things being on cable and then not know how to plug in an antenna. For 85% of the country, that's an easy way to get 5-10 (more if you live in bigger cities) free channels.

These kids shouldn't bitch about things being on cable and then not know how to plug in an antenna. For 85% of the country, that's an easy way to get 5-10 (more if you live in bigger cities) free channels.

This is what I did when I moved to Salt Lake... isolated, dense city with mountains/antennas on either side... I get about 50-60 channels!! Fox and NBC super easy.

This isn’t entirely true.

There’s data showing the Thursday Night Football games on Prime are getting more young viewers than games on Fox and CBS.

NASCAR isn’t going to survive if they cater exclusively to boomers.
This aspect feels downplayed by a lot of sports business media, but it’s true. The total volume of these audiences on Prime might not be as high as the league’s national TV windows, but they’re out-performing them in the 18-49 and 18-34 demos. Prime would be a pretty safe bet since it already has such a large built-in subscriber base among a fairly young consumer demographic.

This aspect feels downplayed by a lot of sports business media, but it’s true. The total volume of these audiences on Prime might not be as high as the league’s national TV windows, but they’re out-performing them in the 18-49 and 18-34 demos. Prime would be a pretty safe bet since it already has such a large built-in subscriber base among a fairly young consumer demographic.

The only valid argument I’ve ever heard against going after young viewers and catering to older demographics is that “boomers” have all the money.

But it doesn’t matter if they don’t spend it. And the older NASCAR fans are the ones who cry poverty the most.

The WB Discovery package is not TNT, it’s Bleacher Report.

This would be the worst deal possible for the fans. As of today’s prices, which will go up before 2025, these races could cost $20-$30/month to watch.

NASCAR would be wise to go with Prime.

But it doesn’t matter if they don’t spend it. And the older NASCAR fans are the ones who cry poverty the most.
Which I’ve always found unbecoming because, besides the NFL and maybe golf, there’s no major sport that as OTA-friendly as NASCAR is. Majority of Cup races are on FOX or NBC.

But, if the bid is B/R Sports on Max, hard pass.

Don’t know if you all saw this, but just went from a Summer Series to “Summer into Fall Series”. If this deal is split, the more things change the more they stay the same. We’d potentially have races on Fox, FS1, NBC, USA Network, Amazon, TBS and TNT which would remind me of ESPN, TNT, TBS,CBS, TNN days
Also forgot Peacock

Agreed but regardless of their age, it helps if people know where to find you on a week-to-week basis. At the rate the rumor mill is spinning, it does remind me of the days when each track or owner managed its own broadcast deal.

This isn’t entirely true.

There’s data showing the Thursday Night Football games on Prime are getting more young viewers than games on Fox and CBS.

The NFL is an anomaly because of its overwhelming popularity and the fact that so many gamble on it and play fantasy football. Plus you have the element of the home team. What applies to them doesn't necessarily translate to other sports and perhaps NASCAR in particular. Regardless, my point is that if NASCAR wants to grow the audience, they need to pick a SMALL number of broadcast partners to bring consistency to the programming. Perhaps two broadcast channels and one streaming platform. Like I said, at one time there was a goal to streamline the viewing experience. Now it seems like they're just throwing crap on the wall and seeing what sticks. Just like you can't survive only on the boomer audience, NASCAR can't survive on just the hardcore audience that will seek it out no matter where it is. NASCAR needs to be where it can EASILY be found, and be there all the time. Going back to the point about Prime drawing more young NFL viewers, perhaps, but do we know those people WOULDN'T be watching it on broadcast TV if that was the ONLY place it was offered? Is the COMBINED total going up, or are they just splitting the existing audience?

This would be the worst deal possible for the fans. As of today’s prices, which will go up before 2025, these races could cost $20-$30/month to watch.

Yeah. Already pay 15.99 for it a month, now would be an extra 9.99 on top of that. No thanks.

I don't know much about streaming companies. I thought Bleacher Report was a web site that didn't carry live content. Are they trying to break in?

Yeah. Already pay 15.99 for it a month, now would be an extra 9.99 on top of that. No thanks.

I get Max free with AT&T. If I did not, I would not pay for it. Especially with it, like Netflix, having the staggering price of $20/month for 4K content (which AT&T customers will not be able to access at all anymore).

I would pay for Netflix before I paid for Max.

WB Discovery can suck a duck's nut.

Thing is TNT is included on BR Sports

The NFL is an anomaly because of its overwhelming popularity and the fact that so many gamble on it and play fantasy football. Plus you have the element of the home team. What applies to them doesn't necessarily translate to other sports and perhaps NASCAR in particular. Regardless, my point is that if NASCAR wants to grow the audience, they need to pick a SMALL number of broadcast partners to bring consistency to the programming. Perhaps two broadcast channels and one streaming platform. Like I said, at one time there was a goal to streamline the viewing experience. Now it seems like they're just throwing crap on the wall and seeing what sticks. Just like you can't survive only on the boomer audience, NASCAR can't survive on just the hardcore audience that will seek it out no matter where it is. NASCAR needs to be where it can EASILY be found, and be there all the time. Going back to the point about Prime drawing more young NFL viewers, perhaps, but do we know those people WOULDN'T be watching it on broadcast TV if that was the ONLY place it was offered? Is the COMBINED total going up, or are they just splitting the existing audience?
Which I’ve always found unbecoming because, besides the NFL and maybe golf, there’s no major sport that as OTA-friendly as NASCAR is. Majority of Cup races are on FOX or NBC.

But, if the bid is B/R Sports on Max, hard pass.
These hit the nail on the head. What everyone needs to consider is that tv viewership due to streaming is shrinking, so sports holding level is a big win. I remember reading that in 2011 Game 1 of the NBA Finals for the Heat-Spurs was outdrawn America's Got Talent (both got around 15 million viewers). For last years Game 1, no show was within triple the entire week that wasn't sports.

The thing NASCAR and it's fans are going to have to come to terms with soon is that races will need time limits within the next 5 years. I love the sport as is, but it's so hard to compete against something like F1 that has zero commercials and is over in about 2 hours. I think we'll eventually have to put 2:30 limits for road courses & 3 hour limits for ovals (outside of a few marquee ones) sooner rather than later

I doubt that will be the case, again the NHL and NBA aren't BR Sports exclusives.
Both contracts predate Discovery’s finalized acquisition of WB and launch of B/R Sports.

Just like the current NASCAR contract predates Peacock. Otherwise we’d already have Peacock-exclusive Cup races.

Want to see where it’s heading? Look at MLB and NFL. MLB has games exclusive to Apple TV, Peacock and ESPN+, and NFL has games exclusive to Prime Video, ESPN+, and Peacock.

Both contracts predate Discovery’s finalized acquisition of WB and launch of B/R Sports.

Just like the current NASCAR contract predates Peacock. Otherwise we’d already have Peacock-exclusive Cup races.

Want to see where it’s heading? Look at MLB and NFL. MLB has games exclusive to Apple TV, Peacock and ESPN+, and NFL has games exclusive to Prime Video, ESPN+, and Peacock.
Where it's headed is a massive surge in piracy. I don't mind streaming only races, what I hate is making fans pay for multiple services to follow a sport. That is how you get piracy to skyrocket, when you make watching legally a pain in the ass.

Where it's headed is a massive surge in piracy. I don't mind streaming only races, what I hate is making fans pay for multiple services to follow a sport. That is how you get piracy to skyrocket, when you make watching legally a pain in the ass.
One reason I haven't looked deeper into streaming is there isn't much I'm interested in (yet) beyond Indy and IMSA. I get both of those on Peacock, so that's currently all I have. I can accept adding another service to get NASCAR but that's probably it. I won't sign up for multiple services with a handful of races each. I won't pirating them either; that's just not the way I roll.

Well, if the world does not explode, we will still have MRN and PRN to keep up with racing.
The only station around me has stopped carrying PRN entirely and MRN races are seemingly done at random.

Once again NASCAR's greed is getting in the way of the REAL OBJECTIVE, getting the most eyeballs possible on the sport. Accomplish that, and the money takes care of itself

Once again NASCAR's greed is getting in the way of the REAL OBJECTIVE, getting the most eyeballs possible on the sport. Accomplish that, and the money takes care of itself

This is archaic thinking, Jackman. Targeted, individualized ads on a streaming service going to 1 million viewers are MUCH more valuable than selling non-targeted national ads going out to 2 million viewers on broadcast. As we saw in the late 00s, having a ****load of viewers means nothing once you fall out of favor... just makes the decline longer/more painful.

NASCAR needs to strike a balance. I think NASCAR needs to stay on cable TV and not streaming. Doesn't matter if it's 3 TV partners or 4.

These hit the nail on the head. What everyone needs to consider is that tv viewership due to streaming is shrinking, so sports holding level is a big win. I remember reading that in 2011 Game 1 of the NBA Finals for the Heat-Spurs was outdrawn America's Got Talent (both got around 15 million viewers). For last years Game 1, no show was within triple the entire week that wasn't sports.

The thing NASCAR and it's fans are going to have to come to terms with soon is that races will need time limits within the next 5 years. I love the sport as is, but it's so hard to compete against something like F1 that has zero commercials and is over in about 2 hours. I think we'll eventually have to put 2:30 limits for road courses & 3 hour limits for ovals (outside of a few marquee ones) sooner rather than later
Between the quality of coverage, the lack of commercials, and the length, watching an F1 race is a much better experience than a NASCAR race.

NASCAR even has built in TV breaks and you still miss 25-33% of the green flag racing.

This isn’t correct.

Engagement matters more than ratings.

Also, the narrative that NASCAR must be on OTA TV every week because fans won’t pay to watch at all is the kind of thinking that drives away sponsors. Sponsors put their logos on cars and broadcasts to sell a product.

Which goes back to what I said earlier about why NASCAR shouldn’t cater to older fans. It doesn’t matter if “boomers” have all the money in the world, they aren’t spending it.

As a wise man on The Wire once said, “money ain’t got no owners, only spenders.”

I think NASCAR needs to stay on cable TV and not streaming. Doesn't matter if it's 3 TV partners or 4.

NASCAR needs to be on OTA and streaming, NOT cable.

Cable TV is dying a quick, rapid death. A very quick death. But NASCAR and Fox have a near quarter-century relationship and Fox is ALL IN on FS1. Because of Fox, NASCAR may very well end up being the only sport you HAVE to have cable for.

I’m against the B/R talk. I’d rather that be on TNT – ONLY because fans will be forced to keep cable to watch the races anyway. Unless there’s a surprise and FS1 isn’t part of the Fox agreement.

I’m for Peacock and Prime. Prime has a MASSIVE subscriber base. And Peacock is the best deal, by far, in streaming.

Cable TV is dying a quick, rapid death. A very quick death. But NASCAR and Fox have a near quarter-century relationship and Fox is ALL IN on FS1. Because of Fox, NASCAR may very well end up being the only sport you HAVE to have cable for.

I’m against the B/R talk. I’d rather that be on TNT – ONLY because fans will be forced to keep cable to watch the races anyway. Unless there’s a surprise and FS1 isn’t part of the Fox agreement.

I’m for Peacock and Prime. Prime has a MASSIVE subscriber base. And Peacock is the best deal, by far, in streaming.
It's all about balance with this deal. Giving the opportunity for more streaming races is great. At the same time, you already have the CW deal with Xfinity.

I think personally they lean into Prime, but Turner Sports and NASCAR have had synergy previously. Either direction has potential. I personally think the Prime connection will be better, get involved with other streaming services like Twitch or Kick to broadcast races as well. Similar to what the NFL does.

Peacock is a great app. And for $6!?

NASCAR would be wise to retain some streaming rights on it's own in the next deal. For all everyone is saying about different TV partners, F1 TV is sort of the ultimate expression of what a major, top tier racing series can do through the streaming medium. Don't like the Sky team? Pick the international crew of announcers. Want to see a map with real time locations of all the cars and their lap times? Sure. Want to select any in-car camera and hear the radio transmissions? You can do that too. A lot of these are things that NASCAR has at some point or another effectively had in their streaming arsenal, and this would put it all back together in one place that would also skip over the need for someone like me to have a Hulu or cable subscription. I don't need ESPN or ESPN+ because I have F1TV.

I think personally they lean into Prime, but Turner Sports and NASCAR have had synergy previously. Either direction has potential. I personally think the Prime connection will be better, get involved with other streaming services like Twitch or Kick to broadcast races as well. Similar to what the NFL does.

I lean heavily toward Prime.

If Turner is indeed chasing NASCAR for B/R Sports instead of TNT, a *MINIMUM* of $20/month for a handful of races is just too big of an big ask for fans IMO.

NASCAR would be wise to retain some streaming rights on it's own in the next deal. For all everyone is saying about different TV partners, F1 TV is sort of the ultimate expression of what a major, top tier racing series can do through the streaming medium. Don't like the Sky team? Pick the international crew of announcers. Want to see a map with real time locations of all the cars and their lap times? Sure. Want to select any in-car camera and hear the radio transmissions? You can do that too. A lot of these are things that NASCAR has at some point or another effectively had in their streaming arsenal, and this would put it all back together in one place that would also skip over the need for someone like me to have a Hulu or cable subscription. I don't need ESPN or ESPN+ because I have F1TV.

F1 has the benefit, in this regard, of being an international property.

Business in America is way different, and not for the better either.

This isn’t correct.

Engagement matters more than ratings.

Also, the narrative that NASCAR must be on OTA TV every week because fans won’t pay to watch at all is the kind of thinking that drives away sponsors. Sponsors put their logos on cars and broadcasts to sell a product.

Which goes back to what I said earlier about why NASCAR shouldn’t cater to older fans. It doesn’t matter if “boomers” have all the money in the world, they aren’t spending it.

As a wise man on The Wire once said, “money ain’t got no owners, only spenders.”
Well, it's hard to engage when your product is spread in 100 different places. I have no issue with the streaming, but I think at least for now it should be a compliment, not a replacement for OTA or cable. NASCAR fans have always shown a willingness to support sponsors that suport the sport. It doesn't however mean that they are going to subscribe to a bunch of different streaming platforms, when NASCAR may be the ONLY content they will use it for. Other than racing, I watch almost no TV now nyways. Why would I want to subscribe to multiple streamers just to get ONE product?

Well, it's hard to engage when your product is spread in 100 different places. I have no issue with the streaming, but I think at least for now it should be a compliment, not a replacement for OTA or cable. NASCAR fans have always shown a willingness to support sponsors that suport the sport. It doesn't however mean that they are going to subscribe to a bunch of different streaming platforms, when NASCAR may be the ONLY content they will use it for. Other than racing, I watch almost no TV now nyways. Why would I want to subscribe to multiple streamers just to get ONE product?

Streaming should absolutely replace cable. It already is replacing cable.

EVERY race should be available on OTT (Streaming), whether it's Fox/Prime and NBC/Peacock, some other variation, or NASCAR itself. Races that aren't on Fox or NBC should be available on Prime Video and Peacock before they're shipped off to FS1 and USA. There should not be a single race that's "only available" on FS1 or USA. The only exception to cable vs. streaming is WBD, in which NASCAR would be better served on TNT than on B/R Sports.

The only time "cable only" broadcasts should be a goal is if we were talking about ESPN or ESPN2.

As for NASCAR being spread across too many properties, based on the reporting, it sounds like NASCAR wants either Amazon or WB Discovery to take the entire Summer Series package for that very reason.

Isn’t that more or just about as much as it take to stream some of the races depending on what service it’s on? If the idea is for fans to try to save money to keep track, that doesn’t necessarily help.

Doesn't matter for me, I have had XM for years, not for Nastycar but, for music anywhere I am without commercials. If I can not DVR the race then I will not be seeing the race on TV. I watch all the races via DVR and watch when I want to, not when Nastycar says I am suppose to. I have a very active life and when the races are on I am doing other things 99.9% of the time.

FWIW, I think having races all over the place on TV is a dumbass move. JMHO

Back
Top Bottom