2025 NASCAR TV contract

If it's not on something I'm already paying for then I won't be watching the races.

Just what NASCAR DOESN'T need in my opinion is another broadcast partner cutting up the season like slices of pizza. It makes little difference to hardcore fans, but making casual fans have to search yet another place for content is lose lose deal in my opinion. I guess as long as the check cashes, screw the actual details.

Didn’t NASCAR start the upward trajectory that led to its boom when races were on ABC, ESPN, CBS, TNN, and TBS? I think they even had a couple of races on NBC in those days too.

Oh and there was no rhyme or reason about where a race may be. One week could be ABC then CBS then TBS. It was madness.

I sped read the first time by and missed the part where it said WBD are planning on putting more sports on their Max streaming service. Woof. Hasn’t that rebrand/Discovery+ merger been mostly bad? Amazon would make more sense in that case.

Just what NASCAR DOESN'T need in my opinion is another broadcast partner cutting up the season like slices of pizza. It makes little difference to hardcore fans, but making casual fans have to search yet another place for content is lose lose deal in my opinion. I guess as long as the check cashes, screw the actual details.
Well, with the charter negotiations still up in the air until the TV deal is resolved they’re simply trying to maximize dollars, since a greater percentage is likely headed to the teams in some fashion. More partners = more dollars. Just look at the NFL and college football these days. I don’t necessarily like it, but I get it.

Didn’t NASCAR start the upward trajectory that led to its boom when races were on ABC, ESPN, CBS, TNN, and TBS? I think they even had a couple of races on NBC in those days too.

Oh and there was no rhyme or reason about where a race may be. One week could be ABC then CBS then TBS. It was madness.

Yes but they were all available simply by having cable, you didn't have to pay for 3 different services.

True, But, it couldn't really be avoided then because you had so many different entities making the TV deals. It was NEVER an optimal situation, which is ONE of the multiple reasons NASCAR gave for taking over the TV deal. It also helped at that time that ALL the races were either on broadcast airwaves or basic cable, there were a fraction of the TV channels back then, and the viewing audience was not nearly as fractured as it is now. What worked then probably doesn't work now. NASCAR should be choosing broadcast partners that advances NASCAR's cause (and I don't just mean writing a fat check) not choosing partners that are doing little but strong arming the fanbase into paying for a service or channel they otherwise would likely have no interest. If they are that hellbent on streaming only content for certain events, then pick ONE partner and put 100% of the content in the ONE place. NASCAR doesn't want to admit it, but they just don't have the fanbase that will blindly jump through multiple hoops just to see a race. The overwhelming majority of the people I know who consider themselves race fans will simply not do it. They just won't watch. AND, even if it were possible for the sport to extract the same amount of revenue from a far smaller audience, is that REALLY what the sport wants? Look at the difference between broadcast races and cable races. NASCAR doesn't have the clout now, but when the first couple couple of deals were getting done, I would have said there is no way in hell we will agree to being put on a channel that attracts one third of the viewers. That would have been an absolute non starter.

if NASCAR gets that sweet Warner Brothers money via being on TNT I dont see a problem with a summer series, I'm sure it will be promoted heavily by various social media outlets as well as NASCAR itself. The problem I see is if a race ends up on something like Tru TV or some other obscure channel under the WB banner, then you'll have some folks scratching their head. Amazon I am indifferent on, I will say their Thursday Night NFL package on some weeks has left alot to be desired some weeks with either game selection or production issues.
I wouldn’t trust anything WB Discovery is involved in right now. What a dumpster fire of an organization.

I sped read the first time by and missed the part where it said WBD are planning on putting more sports on their Max streaming service. Woof. Hasn’t that rebrand/Discovery+ merger been mostly bad? Amazon would make more sense in that case.
Everything at WBD has been bad under the Zaslav regime.

I wouldn’t trust anything WB Discovery is involved in right now. What a dumpster fire of an organization.
I didnt know how bad it is, apologies. I know their DC movies slate is in the toliet and their rebranding from HBO Max to Max has been met with ridicule.

Wonder if NASCAR is a backup plan for Warner in case it loses the NBA rights

Something to keep an eye on, since the dumpster fire of a media company that is WB Discovery has reportedly entered the negotiating room.

Looks like you'll have to pay $9.99/month ON TOP of Max. Hopefully, the races would also be on TNT if this happens.

Something to keep an eye on, since the dumpster fire of a media company that is WB Discovery has reportedly entered the negotiating room.

Looks like you'll have to pay $9.99/month ON TOP of Max. Hopefully, the races would also be on TNT if this happens.

I hope so as I don’t want to pay anymore in subscription fees. I already have way more channels than I watch so I don’t want to add anything until I get rid of something else.

I hope so as I don’t want to pay anymore in subscription fees. I already have way more channels than I watch so I don’t want to add anything until I get rid of something else.

The next few years are going to decide where things go with media.

Media companies are responding to losing subscribers by raising rates (which is the opposite of how supply and demand is supposed to work) and purging content. That's going to continue to be the trend for a little while. But, when does it hit a breaking point.

Nobody wants to pay $25/month for Disney, $25/month for WBD, $25/month for Netflix, $25/month for Amazon, $20/month for Paramount, and so on...

The streaming experience is worse than cable ever was, to be honest. Yeah, they have cheaper plans that offer ads, but even those are coming in at $10+/month now. And even then, these streaming services will restructure and rebrand and their $15/month base plans suddenly become loaded with commercials.

The next few years are going to decide where things go with media.

Media companies are responding to losing subscribers by raising rates (which is the opposite of how supply and demand is supposed to work) and purging content. That's going to continue to be the trend for a little while. But, when does it hit a breaking point.

Nobody wants to pay $25/month for Disney, $25/month for WBD, $25/month for Netflix, $25/month for Amazon, $20/month for Paramount, and so on...

The streaming experience is worse than cable ever was, to be honest. Yeah, they have cheaper plans that offer ads, but even those are coming in at $10+/month now. And even then, these streaming services will restructure and rebrand and their $15/month base plans suddenly become loaded with commercials.

I have YouTube TV and I like it but it’s not cheap plus Amazon Prime. It seems like every time we get some choice and a break in pricing it closes fast.

Did anybody SERIOUSLY think that they were going to get everything they want for less money than cable long term? If I'm going to get ripped off, I'd personally rather write one check and not have to go nine different places and jump through hoops to do it. With as little TV as I watch now, NONE of it can really be justified. If NASCAR goes all streaming only, that will likely be the point where I walk away from ALL the providers and just go read a book. I'm paying for Peacock now, and I haven't turned it on in literally six months.

Did anybody SERIOUSLY think that they were going to get everything they want for less money than cable long term? If I'm going to get ripped off, I'd personally rather write one check and not have to go nine different places and jump through hoops to do it. With as little TV as I watch now, NONE of it can really be justified. If NASCAR goes all streaming only, that will likely be the point where I walk away from ALL the providers and just go read a book. I'm paying for peacock now, and I haven't turned it on in literally six months.

The whole "We're raising prices because we lost subscribers" thing is what gets to me the most.

Of course, that's how American businesses work. You can't even call this **** capitalism.

It's just like when you lose power for two weeks during a storm, and the power companies charge you for the electricity you would have used if it was on and charge you a service repair/restoration fee.

There's a reason I like Peacock. Of all the monthly subscriptions I have (many are necessary for work), it's by far the cheapest and it's not even close.

Did anybody SERIOUSLY think that they were going to get everything they want for less money than cable long term? If I'm going to get ripped off, I'd personally rather write one check and not have to go nine different places and jump through hoops to do it. With as little TV as I watch now, NONE of it can really be justified. If NASCAR goes all streaming only, that will likely be the point where I walk away from ALL the providers and just go read a book. I'm paying for Peacock now, and I haven't turned it on in literally six months.

Kinda agree with this and not using a lot of crap that comes with the streaming.

But internet and my streaming services come to about $110 a month which is still a hellova lot less than internet and a decent cable package would be. That'd be about $200+ a month here when you include the stuff I'd need to make it comparable to streaming (sports package, DVR).

Kinda agree with this and not using a lot of crap that comes with the streaming.

But internet and my streaming services come to about $110 a month which is still a hellova lot less than internet and a decent cable package would be. That'd be about $200+ a month here when you include the stuff I'd need to make it comparable to streaming (sports package, DVR).

My internet alone is $90/month, and when it increased from $65 to $90, my speeds suddenly dropped from 350 mbps to about 30 mbps. I'm actually glad I don't have YouTube TV's 4K plus thing because, at this point, I can't even stream 4K content anymore.

I've thought about dropping every streaming service I pay for except Peacock and only using YouTube/YouTube TV, but there's nothing on cable most nights.

At least with the streaming services it doesn’t take 2 days on the phone to cancel a service😃

My internet alone is $90/month, and when it increased from $65 to $90, my speeds suddenly dropped from 350 mbps to about 30 mbps. I'm actually glad I don't have YouTube TV's 4K plus thing because, at this point, I can't even stream 4K content anymore.

I've thought about dropping every streaming service I pay for except Peacock and only using YouTube/YouTube TV, but there's nothing on cable most nights.

I pay 40 per month for internet. IDK what the speed is but I don’t have any problems with buffering or slow downloads. I think YouTube TV is 80 per month, Amazon Prime is 15 and Britbox is 9. You know what the funny thing is? I watch more Britbox and YouTube than Prime or YouTube TV.

I have DirecTV and I pay too much for it. But I get everything I want on it as opposed to some of the streaming services. I tried YTTV and it was just okay. Picture quality wasn't as good as DirectTV and you have to flip through a guide to get to a channel instead of inputting a number. There aren't many channels we watch. I'd consider paying just for those channels we do watch in addition to the sports channels we watch and be done with it. But that isn't an option, yet.

We have several streaming services. I'm going to cancel a few of them because we rarely watch them. I can add them later and binge something if I see something on there I really want to see. I also have Flo, but I get it as a comp since I'm a regular contributor to them/Dirt on Dirt. I'd probably still pay for it if I weren't getting it for free.

I figured out years ago there will never be an a la carte service for cable/satellite or streaming. Streaming does seem to be the future so folks better get with it or get left behind, if they live in an area where they are able. If not, they need to call some people in DC and ask them where your broadband is they've raised your taxes for. :rolleyes:

Remember the rumors I mentioned last year about an NBC/WB merger?

Especially important since TNT is rumored to be bidding for the summer series.

If the WB above is Warner Brothers. I was watching an Amazon production video this week and the WB Lion logo we all know came up and then it scrolled up and it stated "AN AMAZON COMPANY", anybody else see this anywhere? When did the purchase take place?

If the WB above is Warner Brothers. I was watching an Amazon production video this week and the WB Lion logo we all know came up and then it scrolled up and it stated "AN AMAZON COMPANY", anybody else see this anywhere? When did the purchase take place?
The lion is MGM not WB. And the sale to Amazon was completed last year.

WB is owned by Discovery, currently, and it’s been an epic disaster.

An NBC/WB merger would see a ton of scrutiny from regulators. Comcast owning NBC NEWS and CNN would be an instantaneous red flag. (Though Discovery could just keep CNN).

Reactions: sdj
Thanks, got the two ass backwards. LOL.

Easy to confuse, since WB and Universal both hold distribution rights for MGM.

I want to see WB get sold, but I hope there are no plans to get rid of TCM. That channel should be protected by Congress, lol.

Reactions: sdj
I hope it’s ABC/ESPN & NBC/USA, but it will most likely be FOX/FS1 & NBC/USA.

Xfinity on The CW was a good deal for everyone following the series.

I definitely don’t want NBCU buying WB, that would be horrible.
I don’t either. But man, David Zaslav gotta go. It’s bad over there, really bad. He’s the worst CEO in America, which says a lot.

He destroyed CNN, he’s trying to destroy TCM, he’s actually made DC worse and publicly bitched about the release of the very good Snyder Cut, he’s gutted WB Animation, and so on.

Everything he’s touched has gone to ****.

He’s fundamentally transformed streaming media into everything we hoped it wouldn’t be (super expensive, a laser sharp focus on reality TV, purging content to avoid paying actors and writers).

I don’t want to see NBC Universal buy WarnerMedia, but it would be better than what we’ve got.

I don’t either. But man, David Zaslav gotta go. It’s bad over there, really bad. He’s the worst CEO in America, which says a lot.

He destroyed CNN, he’s trying to destroy TCM, he’s actually made DC worse and publicly bitched about the release of the very good Snyder Cut, he’s gutted WB Animation, and so on.

Everything he’s touched has gone to ****.

He’s fundamentally transformed streaming media into everything we hoped it wouldn’t be (super expensive, a laser sharp focus on reality TV, purging content to avoid paying actors and writers).

I don’t want to see NBC Universal buy WarnerMedia, but it would be better than what we’ve got.
See for me, it wouldn’t be better because AEW is on TNT and TBS, if NBC bought it, I’m sure they would get rid of it since they do lots of business with WWE, which could leave me without a place to watch AEW and I don’t want that. I be fine with anyone buying it, as long as they don’t touch AEW 😂

See for me, it wouldn’t be better because AEW is on TNT and TBS, if NBC bought it, I’m sure they would get rid of it since they do lots of business with WWE, which could leave me without a place to watch AEW and I don’t want that. I be fine with anyone buying it, as long as they don’t touch AEW 😂
Maybe that’s why they’ve been on Edge lately huh?

I don’t care about AEW.

WBD is a disaster.

I don't see the feds approving the purchase of Warner Bros. wholesale. When Disney bought Fox, they had to sell the regional sports networks to prevent ESPN from having a virtual monopoly on sports. I imagine any purchase of WB would involve spinning off different divisions. CNN may be spun off because of MSNBC, Turner Broadcasting (TBS, TNT, Cartoon Network) may be spun off as well. It won't be a complete purchase of everything.

I don't see the feds approving the purchase of Warner Bros. wholesale. When Disney bought Fox, they had to sell the regional sports networks to prevent ESPN from having a virtual monopoly on sports. I imagine any purchase of WB would involve spinning off different divisions. CNN may be spun off because of MSNBC, Turner Broadcasting (TBS, TNT, Cartoon Network) may be spun off as well. It won't be a complete purchase of everything.
I could see CNN not being part of any deal. Discovery may want to keep that, or more likely, sell it to some conservative media group.

At this point, TNT and TBS are just glorified sports networks as Zaslav has axed all original scripted programming.

As for the Fox Sports Networks deal, I think part of that had to do with Sinclair wanting those networks and their super cozy relationship with the occupant of The White House at the time. And televised sports are worse off for it. ESPN ended up getting most of the content through ESPN+ anyway.

This, honestly, doesn't sound good to me. Fox and NBC offering only slight increases, combined with all the rights up for grabs and media companies being in a squeeze.

This, honestly, doesn't sound good to me. Fox and NBC offering only slight increases, combined with all the rights up for grabs and media companies being in a squeeze.

A slight increase in rights fees seems like a big win for Nascar to me. It will still net out less due to what yesterday’s dollars would be worth today but overall I’d say it was good.

Back
Top Bottom