2025 NASCAR TV contract

Even with that as a backdrop, several sources expect the exclusive negotiating window to end without a deal. That’s because NASCAR also is looking into the possibility of creating a third package that it could sell to one of the deep-pocketed streaming companies.

Sources say Amazon is likely to be the most aggressive streamer to pursue NASCAR rights. It appears unlikely that NASCAR would carve out a package of Cup Series races for a streaming company, given the need to provide the broadest reach for sponsors aligned with those races and the teams that compete in them.

Other media companies, including Disney, Paramount and Warner Bros. Discovery, are likely to kick the tires on potential deals with NASCAR. But sources describe them as unlikely to get into serious negotiations for NASCAR rights this time around.

Amazon and Apple seem most logical for a streaming package. I don't think Disney would pursue a package for ESPN+ without it being part of a bigger package. Same with Paramount, and CBS seemingly has little to no interest in NASCAR. WB Discovery is going through another round of insane budget cuts and content purges, how would they afford NASCAR? And, like the others, I imagine getting races on their app would have to be part of a bigger package with TBS or TNT.

Okay, stupid question. NBC is already streaming Indy and IMSA on Peacock. If NASCAR re-signs with NBC, why would they look at someone else for streaming?

Okay, stupid question. NBC is already streaming Indy and IMSA on Peacock. If NASCAR re-signs with NBC, why would they look at someone else for streaming?

Multiple reasons.

The most obvious is money. If they carve out a package, like the "TNT Summer Series" package from 2007-2014, they can get more revenue.

Another is maybe Amazon partners with Fox Sports, as they did for the NFL prior to this year, and Fox's races are also on Amazon with a few on Amazon exclusively. Fox doesn't have much of a presence in the streaming world. Tubi is entirely ad-supported, so there's no point, and races being put exclusively on Fox Nation would be historically polarizing.

Huh. First I'd heard of that. I'll have to look at the broadcast schedule and Amazon's pricing.

That WAS the deal prior to this year. Now Thursday Night Football is exclusively on Prime.

I really want to see Fox pushed out but that ain't gonna happen. Fox's coverage looks like a silly cartoon next to NBC. Literally, Fox even uses cartoon cars on qualifying broadcasts and the graphics with drivers' pictures are cartoons.

Everyone's got their own taste, but Fox's style of coverage (of all their sports properties tbh) isn't for me. I learned more about the NextGen car, and the tire problems and other issues that had been happening all season, from Steve Letarte and NBC's virtual car in one single race broadcast than I did the entire first half of the season on Fox.

That WAS the deal prior to this year. Now Thursday Night Football is exclusively on Prime.

I really want to see Fox pushed out but that ain't gonna happen. Fox's coverage looks like a silly cartoon next to NBC. Literally, Fox even uses cartoon cars on qualifying broadcasts and the graphics with drivers' pictures are cartoons.

Everyone's got their own taste, but Fox's style of coverage (of all their sports properties tbh) isn't for me. I learned more about the NextGen car, and the tire problems and other issues that had been happening all season, from Steve Letarte and NBC's virtual car in one single race broadcast than I did the entire first half of the season on Fox.
It's not that I think Fox is bad, but I think a few changes could greatly improve them. The cartoons would be the 1st on my list.

Regardless of who gets it, let's all pray to God it works better than Peacock did during the Rolex. I listened to audio and randomly changing still pictures for the 8 hours that were streaming only. I thought it was possibly just me, but talked to two other people this morning that had the same issue. Amazingly though, all the commercials played perfectly. Imagine that........

So do they just want to try to get a simulcast partner? It says NASCAR is unlikely to actually try to carve out a number of races for a streaming partner.

Given the rights fees increases around the industry I’m a bit surprised FOX and NBC want to keep fees mostly flat. A simulcast partner would factor into that to a degree.

So do they just want to try to get a simulcast partner? It says NASCAR is unlikely to actually try to carve out a number of races for a streaming partner.

Given the rights fees increases around the industry I’m a bit surprised FOX and NBC want to keep fees mostly flat. A simulcast partner would factor into that to a degree.

I wouldn't blame the teams if they instigated a split if the TV contract remains the same. NASCAR has to think about that.

Regardless of who gets it, let's all pray to God it works better than Peacock did during the Rolex. I listened to audio and randomly changing still pictures for the 8 hours that were streaming only. I thought it was possibly just me, but talked to two other people this morning that had the same issue. Amazingly though, all the commercials played perfectly. Imagine that........
I watched Peacock from 5:20a or so Sunday to 1:00p. I didn't have any problems.

It's not that I think Fox is bad, but I think a few changes could greatly improve them. The cartoons would be the 1st on my list.
Camera selection comes in ahead of cartoon driver images. The cartoons are annoying but the camera selection affects the coverage itself. Too many gimmick angles and toys.

Did you mean 'games', not 'races', at 10:16? If you did, then I won't worry about races.

Thanks.

Another is maybe Amazon partners with Fox Sports, as they did for the NFL prior to this year, and Fox's races are also on Amazon with a few on Amazon exclusively.

I was giving a hypothetical of what Amazon involvement could be based on the old Thursday Night Football package that Fox/NFL/Amazon had.

"Roughly double the current amount" sounds like an opening point for negotiation.
A larger chunk for the team is fair.

Double sounds crazy, but this could lead to teams reducing the numbers for sponsorship. It's fair, the likes of suppliers aren't getting any cheaper. So why should team numbers stay stagnant? If this makes companies interested with a possible reduced entry prices (big IF), this could be crazy enough to work. TV money has to be there to do such, so I hope the sport gets a good deal to do something like this.

Has to make cents for both parties. Just curious to see what happens and how they work this deal.

Wow glad I didn't get the subscription then. I seriously considered it just to watch the race during the night

"Roughly double the current amount" sounds like an opening point for negotiation.
Like Marcus Smith said it's easy to ask for more but understanding the whole picture is key. It's just as easy for team owners to say don't give as much money to the tracks as it is for the tracks to say don't spend $20 million a year on race cars............

I watched Peacock from 5:20a or so Sunday to 1:00p. I didn't have any problems.

I used it from 8-10 PM and Midnight to 6 AM, and it worked properly for maybe five minutes total. Two of my friends experienced the exact same thing. Maybe it was a regional or carrier issue. Overall, my experience streaming live events has been spotty at best. I would say over the years I have streamed the Rolex, whether it was Speed, FS1, NBCSN or Peacock, it was worked great about a third of the time, been fairly acceptable a third of the time, and useless a third of the time, like yesterday. The old reruns I watch on Peacock seem to always work just fine.

Why doesn’t nascar have their own channel.? Every other sport does

Because Brian France was greedy and stupid and he would have had to actually INVEST some money instead of letting other dictates and butcher your media exposure while you sit on your ass collect a big check.

I think it would be tough I mean you need to sell advertising to pay for it and that would be hard if you only have a nascar crowd. I imagine that a lot advertising is tied to several things over a company like fox or nbc, not just to the nascar broadcast. The other issue is what other programming would you have the rest of the the week. We only have like 12 hrs of racing a week? Even with broadcasting every practice/qualifying what you doing for content M-F?

I think it would be tough I mean you need to sell advertising to pay for it and that would be hard if you only have a nascar crowd. I imagine that a lot advertising is tied to several things over a company like fox or nbc, not just to the nascar broadcast. The other issue is what other programming would you have the rest of the the week. We only have like 12 hrs of racing a week? Even with broadcasting every practice/qualifying what you doing for content M-F?

They COULD have shown show all the motor-centric programming that Motor Trend and Mav does now, and what Speed and Velocity, TNN and even FS1 USED to show. LOTS of programming out there that would mesh well with your core programming, even non-NASCAR racing series. Like everything, it's often a matter of timing, and 2000 was the time when it would have been so easy to get ahead of the curve at a reasonably low price and the France family completely muffed it. The Golf Channel was the model, and they were in EXACTLY the right place at the right time to capitalize on Tiger mania when it hit. Meanwhile, Brian France was counting the zeroes on his bank account, and leaving all the heavy lifting and control of the content to others who are simply money motivated like he was and ultimately could care less about NASCAR, as long as they could get out it what THEY wanted. NASCAR was built on controlling the playing field. When it came to media, they threw the playbook in dumpster. The idea that ANYBODY has YOUR best interests at heart when it comes to business deals is mostly fantasy land. Control your own destiny.

They COULD have shown show all the motor-centric programming that Motor Trend and Mav does now, and what Speed and Velocity, TNN and even FS1 USED to show. LOTS of programming out there that would mesh well with your core programming, even non-NASCAR racing series. Like everything, it's often a matter of timing, and 2000 was the time when it would have been so easy to get ahead of the curve at a reasonably low price and the France family completely muffed it. The Golf Channel was the model, and they were in EXACTLY the right place at the right time to capitalize on Tiger mania when it hit. Meanwhile, Brian France was counting the zeroes on his bank account, and leaving all the heavy lifting and control of the content to others who are simply money motivated like he was and ultimately could care less about NASCAR, as long as they could get out it what THEY wanted. NASCAR was built on controlling the playing field. When it came to media, they threw the playbook in dumpster. The idea that ANYBODY has YOUR best interests at heart when it comes to business deals is mostly fantasy land. Control your own destiny.
Going out on a limb here and guessing you're not exactly a fan of Brian France, are you?

How many live games are played on the channels that other sports have? Not many, and when they do they are also played on broadcast or rcn's. So what would be the point of a nascar channel?

How many live games are played on the channels that other sports have? Not many, and when they do they are also played on broadcast or rcn's. So what would be the point of a nascar channel?
I might be misunderstanding you but The ACC Network, SEC Network, Big 10, PAC Network have live college basketball games all the time, as well as college football and other college sports like soccer. MLB Network shows live games and the NFL Network has a package of Saturday games late in the season each year. NBA Network has live games multiple days a week. I dont think however this is applicable to NASCAR as they race once a week as do most series. I have a hard time envisioning how a NASCAR centric network would be profitable with just NASCAR being shown, maybe a model after DirtVision or Flo would work but those two streaming services are entrenched. I'am eager to see how NASCAR works with NBC and their Peacock to stream even more racing with the next contract.

A larger chunk for the team is fair.

Double sounds crazy, but this could lead to teams reducing the numbers for sponsorship. It's fair, the likes of suppliers aren't getting any cheaper. So why should team numbers stay stagnant? If this makes companies interested with a possible reduced entry prices (big IF), this could be crazy enough to work. TV money has to be there to do such, so I hope the sport gets a good deal to do something like this.

Has to make cents for both parties. Just curious to see what happens and how they work this deal.
If they wind up getting more charter revenue I don’t think they’ll start asking less from sponsors, it’s more likely they’ll just aim to become profitable like F1 teams are starting to be. For smaller teams it probably does make the entry point for sponsors easier to get to.

$201M in TV revenue to be distributed in 2023, $210M in 2024. If teams are seeking double in charter revenue starting in 2025 and FOX/NBC are looking to keep fees relatively flat there’s going to have to be a pretty big shift in the distributions somewhere.

Golf Channel fills four days a week from dawn to late, live. PGA, seniors, women, European tour, Asian tour, development tours. When colleges are playing, they can fill a good chunk of Mon and Tue too.

If they wind up getting more charter revenue I don’t think they’ll start asking less from sponsors, it’s more likely they’ll just aim to become profitable like F1 teams are starting to be. For smaller teams it probably does make the entry point for sponsors easier to get to.

$201M in TV revenue to be distributed in 2023, $210M in 2024. If teams are seeking double in charter revenue starting in 2025 and FOX/NBC are looking to keep fees relatively flat there’s going to have to be a pretty big shift in the distributions somewhere.
Race teams will always be race teams. If they get more revenue share they will spend it just as they always have. Anyone in racing spends as much as they have to spend.......plus a little more

I might be misunderstanding you but The ACC Network, SEC Network, Big 10, PAC Network have live college basketball games all the time, as well as college football and other college sports like soccer. MLB Network shows live games and the NFL Network has a package of Saturday games late in the season each year. NBA Network has live games multiple days a week. I dont think however this is applicable to NASCAR as they race once a week as do most series. I have a hard time envisioning how a NASCAR centric network would be profitable with just NASCAR being shown, maybe a model after DirtVision or Flo would work but those two streaming services are entrenched. I'am eager to see how NASCAR works with NBC and their Peacock to stream even more racing with the next contract.

If NASCAR had been out in front on this, there wouldn't even likely BE a Flo or DirtVision, they could having been filling that hole. If you roll back the clock, the IRL, Grand Am and the ALMS were all desperate for media exposure, and could have benefited from a NASCAR backed channel. The ASA died primarily because it lost it's broadcast outlet. It may all well be too late NOW, which highlights the opportunity lost because you had stupid people in charge fixated on the wrong things. Sadly, in my opinion the current regime only partly gets it. The fact that (at least according to him) Brian is still consulting, tells me all I need to know about where their mind is.

If NASCAR had been out in front on this, there wouldn't even likely BE a Flo or DirtVision, they could having been filling that hole. If you roll back the clock, the IRL, Grand Am and the ALMS were all desperate for media exposure, and could have benefited from a NASCAR backed channel. The ASA died primarily because it lost it's broadcast outlet. It may all well be too late NOW, which highlights the opportunity lost because you had stupid people in charge fixated on the wrong things.
I cant disagree with what you're saying. I'd pay for a streaming service that showed every NASCAR Cup race, what you mentioned up above, old nascar races On Demand/A La Carte and whatever short track series (CARS Tour) they would be able to sign to stream their races. That'd be a great service for me as a race fan.

SPEED TV was the closet we got, it was the unofficial official NASCAR channel after FOX broadcasting took it over.
And is a shining example of why you can't leave the heavy lifting to others. As soon as Speed no longer met FOX'S needs, it got dumped. The HELL with NASCAR's needs and desires. That's why control is more important long term then solely cashing in for the dollars.

NFL Network has a lot of talk shows, but also re-airs tons of documentaries and re-airs games throughout the week. MLB, NBA, NHL all have games going on during the week. Assign a beat reporter to every team and you've got a robust amount of programming. NFL Network also used to air Arena Football, Canadian Football, The Alliance and stuff like that.

There are right around 700 different people on the field in any given week in the NFL.

What's a proverbial NASCAR channel going to air? Gonna sit around a table and tell Earnhardt stories for another 20 years?

A "NASCAR channel" would have to be a motorsports channel, with programming directed toward all disciplines.

NFL Network has a lot of talk shows, but also re-airs tons of documentaries and re-airs games throughout the week. MLB, NBA, NHL all have games going on during the week. Assign a beat reporter to every team and you've got a robust amount of programming. NFL Network also used to air Arena Football, Canadian Football, The Alliance and stuff like that.

There are right around 700 different people on the field in any given week in the NFL.

What's a proverbial NASCAR channel going to air? Gonna sit around a table and tell Earnhardt stories for another 20 years?

A "NASCAR channel" would have to be a motorsports channel, with programming directed toward all disciplines.
A Speed Channel if you will...

It doesn't matter what they show, as long as NASCAR controls it and has the option to show whatever programming advances NASCAR's interests first and foremost. Everything else after that is just the gravy.

Back
Top Bottom