'21 Generation 7 Car news

IMO you need to leave the numbers big and in the middle of the door. That's the only way we have left of identifying drivers week to week.

With a different sponsor on the car every week you can no longer identify a driver by their car appearance
You can't.

I can.

I’m sorry. I’m just not a fan of changing the door numbers. Didn’t like how it looked at the All-Star race. Not everything needs to change.

I also don’t buy that all these sponsors are gonna come flooding to NASCAR because they open the door panels for branding. Feels like NASCAR selling out its identity yet again chasing something that may not be there. My two cents.

Will I stop being a fan? No. Is this the end of the world? No. Will I continue to purchase diecasts? Also no.

I saw it before the race.

And I saw it and identified it several times during the event. After all this time, that’s become a habit ... for any car I might be interested in on a given day.

I’d prefer they left the numbers centered in the door. If they don’t, I’ll adapt.

So your telling me when you saw that orange, white and green car Sunday you immediately thought that was Denny?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Yes.....but you weren't asking me....carry on.

So your telling me when you saw that orange, white and green car Sunday you immediately thought that was Denny?
I dont pay attention to paint scheme preview or the starting grid so when I first saw it, I figured it was a HMS Llumar scheme until I saw the 11. Great color pairing IMO

Chase-Elliott-Clash-at-Daytona-2021-Hendrick-9-feat.jpg

88.jpg

e30f242d68b2ae8e4e7758cbad402bfb-1.jpg

I can see the diffuser below the bumper cover. And the tiny blade.

The war on turbulent air continues.
I believe the diffuser has been on all of them. Something I saw different is that they have two exhaust openings on the right side instead of one on both sides and the car sounds better IMO.

With warpaint on, the outside doesn't look like any drastic changes were made. Louvers on the hood were changed from the All Star race. The diffuser and the rear side billboards have been raised and rounded a bit. Below the A pillar back it looks like they have a sleight wedge shape going on compared to the older car that should provide some stick at high speeds. She sounds great, better than the current car on that test anyway.

From what ancedotal evidence I could find, most of the fanbase wants the numbers to stay where they are.. Which is why I believe NASCAR manipulates the Fan Council Results to get the outcome they want.
^ 100% agreed

The exact picture I wanted to post last night.

How to keep the tradition? Keep the usual number on the roof, boom done.

^ The questionable (ugly) paint schemes from the folks designing the liveries won't magically improve by changing the location of the number. Teams just need to hire better artists or have better taste when choosing their livery, it's as simple as that.

Number placement has no impact on the racing. Zero, none, nada, non, nyet, zippo, zilch. NASCAR could replace the numbers with letters or Greek symbols and the racing would be the same. If this is what people choose to get their panties in a bunch, they need to see if Amazon can overnight them a life.

^ No impact on the racing, but a possible impact on merchandise sales. Personally I won't be buying any diecasts or t-shirts if they move the numbers, because I think it looks stupid.

I’m sorry. I’m just not a fan of changing the door numbers. Didn’t like how it looked at the All-Star race. Not everything needs to change.

I also don’t buy that all these sponsors are gonna come flooding to NASCAR because they open the door panels for branding. Feels like NASCAR selling out its identity yet again chasing something that may not be there. My two cents.

Will I stop being a fan? No. Is this the end of the world? No. Will I continue to purchase diecasts? Also no.

^ Exactly how I feel as well

It pains me to say this because I don't care for him, but if I was taking a Toyota driver I would of picked Kyle over Bubba. The amount of technical feedback he provides is far beyond anyone else.

Yea, but he'll need two hours practice session to get the car dialed in just right & God help you if that steering offset is off by one degree!

It was a tire test, not giving feedback on the car itself, but gathering data for different tire compounds, different lengths, and finding how severe the falloff between them. Nothing crazy, but important.

William Byron did a shakedown of the original prototype. The other tests had a mix of young and more experienced drivers.

Joey Logano at Richmond.
Cole Custer at Dover.
Erik Jones at Homestead.
Chris Buescher at Daytona.
Kurt Busch and Martin Truex at CMS and the Roval.

I think NASCAR is doing the right thing just giving drivers different opportunties to do tests. Every piece of feedback from drivers help.

^ 100% agreed

^ The questionable (ugly) paint schemes from the folks designing the liveries won't magically improve by changing the location of the number. Teams just need to hire better artists or have better taste when choosing their livery, it's as simple as that.

^ No impact on the racing, but a possible impact on merchandise sales. Personally I won't be buying any diecasts or t-shirts if they move the numbers, because I think it looks stupid.

^ Exactly how I feel as well
Many of the Teams have to work in concert with the Sponsors Graphic Designers when designing the car. Its not a one way street and the final say lies where the money comes from.

Many of the Teams have to work in concert with the Sponsors Graphic Designers when designing the car. Its not a one way street and the final say lies where the money comes from.
Indeed, on some weekends, the team may have no input at all. The sponsor will hand them the scheme and say 'Order the wrap.'.

As far as number placement goes, I honestly couldn't care less. I know there are traditionalist out there who think the numbers should stay on the door. I'm not one of those people. I'm more interested in the race itself and the look of the car comes second. So put them on the rear quarter panel, put them on the rear part of the door. I mean, get those Taxi signage and put the numbers on there for all I care. This is a sport that relies on sponsorship to exist and most companies see diminishing ROI when it comes to sponsoring a NASCAR team or a NASCAR race. So, you have to do what you have to do to get those Benjamin's.

If you think it was Kyle damn Bush's idea to drive a pink car wearing a bunny suit came from an artist, you need to wake up and smell the coffee. Sponsors run the show on what looks like what. Remember that and you will have a much better outcome when you know which hog is eating the cabbage. It isn't to look good on a diecast although some company logos and colors look better than others.

Last edited:
I know there are traditionalist out there who think the numbers should stay on the door. I'm not one of those people. I'm more interested in the race itself and the look of the car comes second.

The two are not mutually exclusive. It's OK to want good racing, and good looking cars as well.

If you think it was Kyle damn Bush's idea to drive a pink car wearing a bunny suit came from an artist, you need to wake up and smell the coffee. Sponsors run the show on what looks like what. Remember that and you will have a much better outcome when you know which hog is eating the cabbage. It isn't to look good on a diecast although some company logos and colors look better than others.

That's not at all what I'm talking about.

If your argument suggests that moving the number will somehow help the perceived "questionable design trends by the livery designers" (as specified in the tweet above) then I'm not sure what to tell you. The number being on the door hasn't been a problem for the last 70 years, so why is that now an excuse for mediocre paint schemes?

If your argument suggests that moving the number will somehow help the perceived "questionable design trends by the livery designers" (as specified in the tweet above) then I'm not sure what to tell you. The number being on the door hasn't been a problem for the last 70 years, so why is that now an excuse for mediocre paint schemes?
It's no argument it is a fact. Sponsors run the show about what gets on the car, they don't give a rats ass what it is going to look on a diecast, they care about how it will be seen on TV. Nascar teams don't have sponsors falling all over themselves to put their branding on the car. What you probably don't know is that Nascar has been trying it out for quite a while in the Pinty's series. If it didn't make any difference or didn't help to get more business on the cars it wouldn't be happening.

This sport is a rolling billboard. There are an overwhelming number of ad spaces at the race track and during the TV broadcast as well. Moving the number 4 feet on the car will not bring a noticeable return on investment to the sponsors. A large segment of older NASCAR fans are loyal to their driver(s) and the brands they showcase. That fanbase is fleeing the sport at an alarming rate for a variety of reasons. Younger fans that NASCAR targets has very little brand loyalty.

The truth is, the sport is going to need to find a new way to fund their events outside of selling advertising space.

It's no argument it is a fact. Sponsors run the show about what gets on the car, they don't give a rats ass what it is going to look on a diecast, they care about how it will be seen on TV. Nascar teams don't have sponsors falling all over themselves to put their branding on the car. What you probably don't know is that Nascar has been trying it out for quite a while in the Pinty's series. If it didn't make any difference or didn't help to get more business on the cars it wouldn't be happening.

What is a fact? That moving the number will enable the designers to come up with better looking liveries? The current number placement is a big enough obstacle for these companies and the people they hire to design the paint scheme? Hogwash.

Moving the number 4 feet on the car will not bring a noticeable return on investment to the sponsors.

Bingo, and it's foolish to believe otherwise.

Some of you act like there's a boatload of sponsors out there itching to get their name on a car, but that darned number placement is just getting in the way. 'Well Mr. Penske, we would LOVE to give you millions of dollars to sponsor Blaney next season, but it's not happening unless you move the number to fit our name behind the front wheel instead of above the rear wheel.' :rolleyes:

I just find it funny how we need to make more room for sponsorship on the side of the cars, yet nascar gave the area behind the front wheels to the RTA so they could do something with it and nothing has been added there. But we need to move the numbers for more sponsorship space!

There’s not another motorsport where the number is so closely associated with driver and team identity than NASCAR. Something Supercars-esque where it’s a tiny sticker behind one of the pillars, or squished down the side panel over to the wheel well wouldn’t be a popular move. It’s quite different from other series where teams run fewer races, homogeneous schemes between teammates, constant branding.

I won’t get worked up over it myself, and they’ve probably already made the decision, but I don’t think it’ll sell well to the fans. But I don’t see it being a ‘last straw’ type of deal either.

I just find it funny how we need to make more room for sponsorship on the side of the cars, yet nascar gave the area behind the front wheels to the RTA so they could do something with it and nothing has been added there. But we need to move the numbers for more sponsorship space!

Many teams are running an associate there now.....

1739c-16129519229759-800.jpg

The two are not mutually exclusive. It's OK to want good racing, and good looking cars as well.
Like 'good racing', what defines a 'good looking car' is subjective. Prioritizing them is subjective too, along with valuing discretionary purchases.

Moving the number 4 feet on the car will not bring a noticeable return on investment to the sponsors.
That's up to the sponsors.

Personally, I don't think they'll care much either, but I'm not in marketing. Obviously someone who is thinks this may have sponsor appeal or they wouldn't already be trying it. I'm pretty sure teams care more about sponsor money than souvenir sales.

As to readability, I admit an inability to tell which car is which is one of many reasons I don't watch F1. On the other hand, it doesn't keep me from enjoying IndyCar. It's not like numbers are being eliminated. With the overuse of in-car cameras, numbers aren't visible on TV 20% of the time anyway.

Back
Top Bottom