'21 Generation 7 Car news

I'm eagerly awaiting confirmation from Nascar that the Next Gen car will have (a) a carbon fiber tub, or (b) a welded tube frame per existing Nascar practice. I've seen a few low key, downright obscure references to using a carbon fiber tub, but if that's the plan, I don't understand why everything is so hush-hush about it.

Has anyone seen an official statement that I might have missed?

How much testing has been done with wheel load transducers gathering data?

How much testing has been done with wheel load transducers gathering data?
It doesn't sound like any so far, but begins with the Martinsville test next month.

John Probst, NASCAR Senior Vice President of Racing Innovation, indicated that all three manufacturers — Chevrolet, Ford and Toyota — have had their designs for the Next Gen car approved. The car will return to the track March 16-17 at Richmond Raceway, Probst said, and a handful of Goodyear tire tests were planned beyond that. All three automakers are set to have models on the track at the same time during a proposed test for wheel-force data collection at Martinsville Speedway in late March.
The P3 prototype will be used in tire testing at Richmond, Darlington Raceway, Texas Motor Speedway and Bristol Motor Speedway this year, Probst said. Seven tests are scheduled for wheel-force transducer (WFT) Next Gen cars and three organizational tests for teams. Probst said at least one organizational test would take place after the Charlotte Roval race on Oct. 10, with two set for after the season ends. Two tire tests are also scheduled for the current car model this season.

The Macallan is also available @ 16 years old. It’s a bit pricey.

As to your second question, no, not at all. We could call it at 12. Years.

This one line caught my attention

“The car is scheduled for its first crash test in the second quarter of this year at the University of Nebraska’s facility, Probst said.”

I’m surprised driver’s insurance let them test a car without further crash test data.

Yes, it is.

If only @Formerjackman were here to bear witness to me throwing off the bonds of sycophancy and disagreeing with something some NASCAR guy said.

I thought I phrased that rather well. 🥃 🥃 🥃 The Macallan. 12 years old.
Yeah, what's next for you, taking issue with the brand of mustard served at ISC concession stands?

Yes, it is.

If only @Formerjackman were here to bear witness to me throwing off the bonds of sycophancy and disagreeing with something some NASCAR guy said.

I thought I phrased that rather well. 🥃 🥃 🥃 The Macallan. 12 years old.
Yeah, what's next for you, taking issue with the brand of mustard served at ISC concession stands?

tenor.gif

I'm still waiting for shifting on oval tracks with the new 6-speed sequential transaxle.

I'm curious whether or not they'll send a NextGen car to iRacing for them to scan and get the data points so that it'll come out on the service at the same time it begins racing in 2021.

It kinda sounds like Ford are okay with pairing the current ICE with a hybrid component while Phelps targets an entirely new engine/hybrid formula at some point.

“With the NextGen architecture with the car we are going to be racing in 2022 we have the ability to add hybrid without changing the internal combustion engine part of it. It allows you to put an electric motor into the system to drive the transaxle in parallel to the internal combustion engine.

“What is most important for us is being able to learn about hybrid technology in the motorsports environment and we can do that with the NextGen chassis and the current internal combustion engine we are racing today.”
NASCAR President Steve Phelps has maintained from the beginning of the Next Gen car project that engine development would require a hybrid component.

“I do think for a new engine, that engine will have some type of electrification, some hybrid that will be part of it,” he said. “I know for a fact we will not have a new OEM unless we change our engine.”

This one line caught my attention

“The car is scheduled for its first crash test in the second quarter of this year at the University of Nebraska’s facility, Probst said.”

I’m surprised driver’s insurance let them test a car without further crash test data.
Who is in the car for the crash test? Stenhouse? .....I'll be here all night......

Did I miss it or did them name who the chassis manufacturer is going to be?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Probably NASCAR.
Probably not Nascar they aren't in the car building business. I've heard of a number of potential chassis builders, Dallara, and Joe Gibbs had his hat in the ring and another I forgot who it was. I don't know if it is lack of reporting or Nascar is being closed lipped about the car, but not much has been shared about who is doing what with the Gen 7

These guys:

Technique Incorporated will be the vendor, I think.

Dallara wanted the gig, but they already build so many chassis for open-wheel series, not to mention their involvement with Haas on the F1 side. They are swamped for the most part.
Dallara worked in a consultant capacity, they helped design the car. Mentioned in one of the articles last week.

"From a holistic point of view, we’re happy with (how the car turned out) but there are a few items we want to get better, and we have the time now to work with Dallara and our single source partners to keep the costs down."

The first season is going to be a test honestly.

I think that will make the season exciting IMHO. I remember 2013 being exciting with the Gen 6 that season.
I remember the 2013 Daytona 500 being god awful. Hopefully NASCAR does some superspeedway testing before the 2022 Daytona 500 turns into a borefest.

I remember the 2013 Daytona 500 being god awful. Hopefully NASCAR does some superspeedway testing before the 2022 Daytona 500 turns into a borefest.
It wasn't the greatest, but the rest of the season was really entertaining.

I can deal with a few bombs every now and then.

Back
Top Bottom