'21 Generation 7 Car news

This is the problem with modern day racing thinking. What makes sprint cars so great is that you can run different lines with different setups. It's all about that splitter man, it forces everyone to run the same line with the same travel which has led to PJ1 as some way to fix it by giving you some sort of help running a different line
Substantial changes in that area. The sides of the splitter are lower than the middle, so air is encouraged instead of trying to seal it out. The underbody is smooth instead of all kinds of stuff hanging down and the smooth will create down force. The double vents on the sides have one for exhaust and the other is for letting air out.

Interesting tidbit , each car is going to need 4 trans-axles on hand at each time, as the turn around time for rebuild is 4-6 weeks, they run about $30-35k each.

Borrowing this from reddit user J76Reid, Joey's nextgen car getting ready for testing
Screenshot 2021-09-01 at 13-51-20 r NASCAR.png

Hey! It's all ball bearings nowadays. Now you prepare that Fetzer valve with some 3-in-1 oil and some gauze pads, and I'm gonna need 'bout ten quarts of anti-freeze, preferably Prestone. No, no make that Quaker State.

Those would be bad fast tire changes. Fuel cell is larger too, so a few seconds quicker than a full fill.

Or we could wait until everybody has a reasonable amount of track / test time and see what shakes out.
Amen. Honestly, I don't have any patience for the driver BS either. I think that MTJ kind of floated it out there that if he doesn't like it, he will walk. Whatever. The Next Gen is a great concept IMO, and this is a great direction for the health of the sport. If you don't like it, see ya. MY Toyotas have a stable just waiting to fill seats. The car looks awesome, and I can't wait to see what the performance is like.

Logano excited for opportunities with the Next Gen car​

“You’re not going to get beat by someone with a lighter spindle or a piece you can’t develop because your team can’t. That’s not going to be an excuse anymore. It’s going to be the best of the best. It’s going to change the first few races. There’s going to be this back and forth where there’s a team that hits on a setup that works on 1.5-mile tracks, then one on short tracks. It will keep changing.”

Kyle Busch: Racing Forums.com Death Bedder and Coordinator Of Complaints.

Also, the number has been pushed forward on the NextGen. It's all about camera angles and incorporating the number with the livery/scheme:
E-OpIKeXMAMMG3W

^ Above is Stenhouse's scheme for Darlington.

It's been here the entire time.

I am stoked to see how bad some will struggle with this new car. The swap to coil-overs will favor some of the guys that have raced late models and similar designs. Curious to see how much the front-end squats when at speed. Not sure if still allowed to run bump stops. They are even running that type of stuff on dirt cars now. Car at walking speed is at same ride-heights as @ race speed. That's why dirt cars bounce & hop thru holes.

The one thing most of us old racers can't fathom is how good the sim programs are now. More than likely, most of the big teams will be fine as they have the resources to create those sims. The little guys will be the ones that will suffer.

I am stoked to see how bad some will struggle with this new car.
I think this is overhyped. These are professional race car drivers who have raced many types of race cars. They all have decent experience adapting from car to car and this won’t be different. IMO the more interesting level of adaptability is with the engineers back at the shop. Who hits on faster setups first.

That’s a proximity sensor mounted on the right side of the splitter for tire testing. There’s another one on the left.

Static ride height is for passing inspection.

1630793069773.png

Attachments

• 1630792807162.png
    1630792807162.png
    4.9 MB · Views: 64
It looks like the sides of the splitter in the front and the rear diffuser are going to be the suspension limiters. It might work to keep them off the ground.

It looks like the sides of the splitter in the front and the rear diffuser are going to be the suspension limiters. It might work to keep them off the ground.
Anything is better than the setups now where the top half of "Good Year" is covered by the fender edge...

Anything is better than the setups now where the top half of "Good Year" is covered by the fender edge...
I like to see some suspension movement because the compliance contributes to mechanical grip, as opposed to grip caused by aerodynamic downforce. However, I believe low ride height is way over-rated as a factor causing bad racing.

Excessive total downforce is the enemy of good racing. People use "low ride height" as a proxy for "high downforce" but this is an incorrect and over-simplified assumption. There are other ways to generate too much downforce, even with the cars up off the ground. And the total design can produce moderate downforce even with the cars slammed down on the track (and with better safety).

Many people focus too much just on ride height... "Get the cars up off the track like back in the old days." This just invites Nascar (and Marcus Smith) to use other ways to feed us a steady diet of flat-footed WFO pack racing.

So be careful what you ask for. I want off-throttle time on intermediate tracks and actual braking, with a sizable difference between straightaway speed and midcorner speed. That's what emphasizes driver skills. I don't care if that is achieved with ride height or other design factors.

[End of rant]

I missed the opening 20 minutes of tonight’s broadcast...did they show Cindric taking the NextGen car out?

I like to see some suspension movement because the compliance contributes to mechanical grip, as opposed to grip caused by aerodynamic downforce. However, I believe low ride height is way over-rated as a factor causing bad racing.

Excessive total downforce is the enemy
of good racing. People use "low ride height" as a proxy for "high downforce" but this is an incorrect and over-simplified assumption. There are other ways to generate too much downforce, even with the cars up off the ground. And the total design can produce moderate downforce even with the cars slammed down on the track (and with better safety).

Many people focus too much just on ride height... "Get the cars up off the track like back in the old days." This just invites Nascar (and Marcus Smith) to use other ways to feed us a steady diet of flat-footed WFO pack racing.

So be careful what you ask for. I want off-throttle time on intermediate tracks and actual braking, with a sizable difference between straightaway speed and midcorner speed. That's what emphasizes driver skills. I don't care if that is achieved with ride height or other design factors.

[End of rant]
Have to disagree. Cars could run different lines on all tracks based on where the car was set up, you couldn't go too low or else it'd hit the tire. But with that damn splitter it all changed. Everyone runs the same line because they have to unless there's progressive banking or PJ1. With a splitter any dirty air is going to affect you, which is why that low downforce package brought F1 type results. Teams that aced the setup were basically unbeatable which is why win streaks were so common. Then once you got to the front, it was game over

Have to disagree. Cars could run different lines on all tracks based on where the car was set up, you couldn't go too low or else it'd hit the tire. But with that damn splitter it all changed. Everyone runs the same line because they have to unless there's progressive banking or PJ1. With a splitter any dirty air is going to affect you, which is why that low downforce package brought F1 type results. Teams that aced the setup were basically unbeatable which is why win streaks were so common. Then once you got to the front, it was game over

Attachments

• Pancake bunny.jpg
    Pancake bunny.jpg
    30.7 KB · Views: 62
Dirty air affects a following car whether it has a splitter or not.

Back
Top Bottom