'21 Generation 7 Car news

Are those bolts holding the clip on designed to shear off in a crash?
I would hope not. The sport called a caution this year for a tire on pit road. I don’t think they want entire front and rear ends of the cars shearing off and landing beyond the catch fences.

The machine screws are probably grade eight which is high tensile strength probably steel which is the strongest. Fine threads are the highest strength profile, mostly used in high stress areas.

The machine screws are probably grade eight which is high tensile strength probably steel which is the strongest. Fine threads are the highest strength profile, mostly used in high stress areas.
Fine thread always have more holding strength but there's many cases where a lower than a grade 8 bolt is preferred. Grade 8 bolts will fail at a high load, but they do not deform or elongate well. Sometimes it's better to bend the bolt and hold somewhat together than have it completely sheer off. Which is better in this case? Hopefully minds smarter than me know

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Take a shot every time C-Bell says “different”.

If you want to risk alcohol poisoning, take a shot every time a driver (and others) use the word 'obviously' in an average interview. That's got to be one of the most overused words in their vocabulary, it's really laughable sometimes if you pay attention.

Are those bolts holding the clip on designed to shear off in a crash? I'm no engineer but they look awful small.... I wish we could look at more pics...
There are 16 attachment bolts for each of the clips.

Crash tested.

Was just listening to DBC and they were saying last video that they saw the new car was turning laps around 17 seconds at Bristol. That's kinda underwhelming....

Was just listening to DBC and they were saying last video that they saw the new car was turning laps around 17 seconds at Bristol. That's kinda underwhelming....

C. Bell who was driving the car said 15.9 @ 1:56 in the above clip above

Probably talking about the test with Christopher Bell a week ago. Gotta remember that car hasn’t been touched by a crew chief and there isn’t a track specific setup put into it yet.

Not sure if thats gonna make up for the 2.5 second gap though.

Did the ones you worked on use shims?
Yes. It's a TTX with spool valves. Nothing new. As I said, I worked on them back in early 2000's and Indy car/sports cars had them way earlier than that.
I’m not sure you watched the video.

The reference to shims was related to the high speed adjusters. The earlier versions used shims. Newer use poppet valves. It's still not NEW TECHNOLOGY.

There’s no need to shout. I didn’t say it was.

Were the shocks you worked on nitrogen-charged?

I referred to TTX shocks.

I should have been more specific.

This is the 2nd gen TTX shock adjuster set-up cut-away. There are shims stacks against a preloaded spring seat/piston. The "new" versions uses poppet valves to control high-speed displacement. The TTX & TTR displace fluid out of the shock tube without created cavitation due to the tube being double walled. Has circulation holes at top and bottom of tube unlike a normal gas shock.

Attachments

• TTX shock see-thru.jpg
    TTX shock see-thru.jpg
    96.8 KB · Views: 77
I referred to TTX shocks.

I should have been more specific.
If you watch the video again, the Ohlin technician mentions BOTH the TTX & TTR use the same basic design. The piston actually pushes oil. thru the adjusters. On "normal" shocks, only oil moved it that displaced by the shaft diameter. Like dropping a pencil in your beer mug.

Well yeah lol there's no side force really anymore. If you make them harder to drive and the HP is a tad lower, it'll go slower

Well yeah lol there's no side force really anymore. If you make them harder to drive and the HP is a tad lower, it'll go slower
I think on small tracks, the four wheel independent suspension and a wider tire will be more of a factor than truck arms from the 70's and side force. C. Bell said they were running around 15.9's and he thought it was slower on the straights. If he was right, it means the corner speeds were making up the difference.

If corner speed is up and straight speed down... sorry, that means passing is tougher and we'll have poorer racing. I hope to be proven wrong, but you need that difference in speeds so that the better cars rise to the top.

And that's not necessarily a bad thing.
The amount of sideforce may be drastically reduced but the airflow from the diffuser might be causing some of these drivers to lose it. A lot of the drivers have commented on how twitchy the car is or how it can snap wrecking loose without warning. If the car gets a little sideways and the downforce in the rear of the car is lost due to the change in airflow off the diffuser, the cars might be out of control with even the slightest amount of change in the angle of the rear of the car.

Or we could wait until everybody has a reasonable amount of track / test time and see what shakes out.
Speculation based on existing tests information available to the public not allowed. Shut the forum down.

I didn’t say it wasn’t allowed.

I heard that funeral arrangements for the crash test dummy are complete or is that just speculation?

If corner speed is up and straight speed down... sorry, that means passing is tougher and we'll have poorer racing. I hope to be proven wrong, but you need that difference in speeds so that the better cars rise to the top.
This is the problem with modern day racing thinking. What makes sprint cars so great is that you can run different lines with different setups. It's all about that splitter man, it forces everyone to run the same line with the same travel which has led to PJ1 as some way to fix it by giving you some sort of help running a different line

Back
Top Bottom