'21 Generation 7 Car news

StandOnIt

Farm Truck
Both NASCAR and some of its manufacturers are optimistic the Gen 7 car can be rolled out by the 2021 season.
There is some industry skepticism about that timeline for the new model. Toyota Racing Development president David Wilson told NBC Sports there needs to be blueprints for the Gen 7 “within the next 30 to 45 days” and track testing needs to begin by the end of summer.

“I think we’re behind as an industry,” Wilson said Sunday. “NASCAR is in the process of collecting feedback across the industry. They’ve systematically been talking to every team in the garage this weekend. They’re assimilating that feedback. We’re putting together an action team with NASCAR. We had a meeting early (Saturday) morning (with the manufacturers) from a process perspective about how we work together. The good news is we have a bit of a template that we use for Gen 6.

“In 10 years, I don’t see any reason why we couldn’t have six or seven manufacturers,” Wilson said. “You look at sports car racing. Our Lexus program is we’re racing against seven to eight manufacturers. We compete in the showrooms every day. Why can’t it be the same thing on the racetrack?

https://nascar.nbcsports.com/2019/0...the-secret-deal-that-changed-the-daytona-500/

Other announcements Monday from NASCAR in a meeting with the news media at its R&D Center:

–The 2021 season is projected as the on-track rollout for the Gen 7 car. A new engine likely would follow after that, possibly in the ’22 season. John Probst, vice president for innovation and development, said the new car likely will have a composite body (which the Xfinity Series switched to over the past few seasons).

https://nascar.nbcsports.com/2019/0...ifying-for-2019-cup-season-despite-new-rules/

Ford would like to race Gen 7 car in Cup by 2021 season
https://nascar.nbcsports.com/2019/02/01/ford-would-like-to-race-gen-7-car-in-cup-by-2021-season/

Meet the ‘Gen 7 for NASCAR’ that could include shorter races and capped costs
“I think we’re really talking about Gen 7 for NASCAR,” Penske said, using the term for the next car. “It’s not just the car or the engine. I think it’s the show, it’s the length of the races, it’s where we’re going to run, are we going to run more at night, short tracks. Let’s call it Gen 7 for NASCAR, not just the car.”
https://nascar.nbcsports.com/2019/0...could-include-shorter-races-and-capped-costs/

I may be in the minority but I don't want 6 or 7 manufacturers. I'd be ok with adding one more, but as long as Chevy, Ford, and Toyota remain all in and don't cut back, what's really the point? It's not like the field can grown by a whole lot. This would basically become a low-end IMSA series if we get to 6 or 7.

Also, if they start track testing that soon, perhaps we might get some leaked photos? I just hope they don't rush it in order to meet the 2021 mark. Take the time to get it right. As long as the wait pays off, that's what truly matters.

I'm curious what other manufacturers they could get. Being as where I work I'd like to see a Suburu Legacy in NASCAR

2022 makes more sense. I don’t want a rushed product out on track in just a few months. These things take time to develop. Especially since the new engine regs can’t come online until 2022 - it doesn’t make sense to debut a new-gen chassis and body with an old-gen engine for one season.

I may be in the minority but I don't want 6 or 7 manufacturers. I'd be ok with adding one more, but as long as Chevy, Ford, and Toyota remain all in and don't cut back, what's really the point? It's not like the field can grown by a whole lot. This would basically become a low-end IMSA series if we get to 6 or 7.
The only new manufacturers I could see feasibly entering the sport are Dodge and Nissan. They would be the only ones that would have vehicles that could compete in all three series’.

clicked on a few links didnt see any pics

5inz8f1voa211.jpg

?

yeah I keep reading more and more about the car, they are under a tight deadline, but that is the status quo in manufacturing. They are getting composite bodies for sure so far, I thought they would, teams like them in the Xfinity series, they are tougher than sheet metal and widely used in other racing series.. Sounds like they are going to base a lot of it off of the current car, no telling how much, but the safety part has been constantly tested and improved so copying that part of the Gen 6 should save a lot of time. Real curious to see if they go to four wheel independent suspension, that would be a game changer if they do.

Yeah who knows, they might standardize the rear suspension, come up with something already being made, or maybe let them do their thing. Either way on road courses some of the outsiders wouldn't have such a big hurdle to learn how to keep them from wheel hopping like an old Chevy pick up I had when you jammed on the brakes. :p

The only new manufacturers I could see feasibly entering the sport are Dodge and Nissan. They would be the only ones that would have vehicles that could compete in all three series’.

KIA has the Stinger coupe which i think is a good fit with the other muscle cars. But they don't have a truck to support the truck series. Dodge has the RAM and Nissan has the Titan. But who knows what Kia has up it's sleeves going forward. Some new truck they want to promote?
Also Honda would be a good fit. They might struggle with the Civic but they have the Ridgeline. But again, who knows what they have up their sleeves? A new muscle car they want to show off?
Who knows? I don't see any new manufacturers until after the Gen 7 car is out for a year or two.

KIA has the Stinger coupe which i think is a good fit with the other muscle cars. But they don't have a truck to support the truck series. Dodge has the RAM and Nissan has the Titan. But who knows what Kia has up it's sleeves going forward. Some new truck they want to promote?
Also Honda would be a good fit. They might struggle with the Civic but they have the Ridgeline. But again, who knows what they have up their sleeves? A new muscle car they want to show off?
Who knows? I don't see any new manufacturers until after the Gen 7 car is out for a year or two.
Kia is pretty heavily invested in their NBA sponsorship, not sure if they’d be willing to throw a bunch of money at NASCAR too. However, I must say the Stinger would make a great looking Cup car.

This is one with a little nip here and a tuck there I wouldn't mind seeing

I would love to see side view mirrors and a production looking body! What about actual doors on the car? Do we really still need to get into the car through the window?

Truck participation isn't mandatory.

No it really isn't, and I wouldn't think cup participation would be either. It brings up a question though. Does Nascar require manufacturers to enter all three series? Got me. :idunno:

I thought I remember reading that a long time ago when Dodge was first coming back, but I have no link. That would be nice if manufacturers didn't have to enter all three series but I suspect the truck series would go belly up then. I feel like the Xfinity series now has absolutely no identity now that the camaro and mustang are in the cup series. I suspect the Supra is on it's way to the cup series in a year or two.

Way off topic, but going way back when, there has been the same looking cars in both series for a very long time FWIW.

clicked on a few links didnt see any pics
NASCAR has yet to build a car. There are probably only sketches at this point, possibly something drawn on a computer. None of that will be made public until all manufacturers are in agreement on where to take it.

No it really isn't, and I wouldn't think cup participation would be either. It brings up a question though. Does Nascar require manufacturers to enter all three series? Got me. :idunno:

You got me. I don't think so, but would be interested to know for sure. I thought Dodge and Toyota elected to join the Truck series first as a means of working out the kinks of a program before moving up. I doubt NASCAR would require it now, as every move they are making seems to be about attracting new manufacturers at the top level.

I would love to see side view mirrors and a production looking body! What about actual doors on the car? Do we really still need to get into the car through the window?

I would think that with the speeds, the proximity of the driver to the door, the number of hard barriers and the amount of contact NASCAR cars tend to have, that opening doors would not be considered. As I tried to explain to some of my "snobbish" sports car friends, NASCAR complies more real world crash data and experience in one season than most other series, even F1 would generate in a decade or more, so they kind of know what works for them and what doesn't.

You got me. I don't think so, but would be interested to know for sure. I thought Dodge and Toyota elected to join the Truck series first as a means of working out the kinks of a program before moving up. I doubt NASCAR would require it now, as every move they are making seems to be about attracting new manufacturers at the top level.
Yeah that would be my guess also, they have gone from dictating who and how they will participate in what series. I remember they didn't like Toyota's truck motor I think it was and made them develop a different one. I would bet any manufacturer who was interested in the series now they will be trying to make a lot of things work. Ford has said publicly they don't want the balance of performance to come to the cup series. I don't have an opinion either way, but on the other hand I don't see how Nascar is going to get other OEM's with different engines and weights of cars to participate without it easily. I think the days of certain body styles and motors to fit a template could be on the way out. It could be OEM's you guys make your car you want to race submit it and we will make the changes we need to do to make it work. I think a lot of it would be safety changes, and of course BOP handicapping

One thing I think NASCAR got right was eliminating their tepid version of BOP, where Manufacturer X gets half an inch more here or there because they're too far behind. I know it is essential to how some other series operate, but I hate the politicking and sandbagging that it encourages.

One thing I think NASCAR got right was eliminating their tepid version of BOP, where Manufacturer X gets half an inch more here or there because they're too far behind. I know it is essential to how some other series operate, but I hate the politicking and sandbagging that it encourages.
I don't see how it can be any different with different looking bodies if they go that way. There is plenty of politicking in IMSA over the very same thing, unless Nascar stays the same with the different front end and everything back is pretty much the same as everybody else. I don't know how successful that would be attracting more OEM's keeping that the same as it is now.

I don't see how it can be any different with different looking bodies if they go that way. There is plenty of politicking in IMSA over the very same thing, unless Nascar stays the same with the different front end and everything back is pretty much the same as everybody else. I don't know how successful that would be attracting more OEM's keeping that the same as it is now.

True, it's a tough balance. The games that get played are less odious if it is done in the off-season and when new models are approved, and if the decisions are made subject to objective test data and not race results themselves.

I can just imagine the day that a manufacturer with no playoff cars goes into "tank mode" as in stick and ball sports to get a break for next season. :D

True, it's a tough balance. The games that get played are less odious if it is done in the off-season and when new models are approved, and if the decisions are made subject to objective test data and not race results themselves.
Basing adjustments off of race results is more "success ballast" than balance of performance, and both are used in different series around the world to serve different purposes. I don't want to get too "inside baseball", but I can say at least in IMSA it's much more formulaic based upon telemetry and data than just lap times or where you finish.

Regardless, I think any NASCAR BoP system wouldn't be nearly as complex as most everywhere else because I still expect the cars to remain largely similar to each other compared to other formulas.

Even though IMSA does a wonderful job, the term sandbagging seems to come up a lot.:p I like it that way myself, ya never know until the flag drops if it is true or not, and I am not convinced I know it then, it's an interesting twist of cat and mouse to me.

They made some changes to the COT over the years that helped it, but I always thought it looked ugly, but Nascars had been ugly for awhile before they came out with that version. I think the best looking stock type cars these days come from the IMSA GT series, yeah they are sports cars in street form, but it beats 4 door sedans in the looks department trying to look like race cars and traveling at 200 miles per. Nascar painted themselves in a box unknowingly years ago, I wonder if they will change that in the future. They have a Toyota sports car racing in the Xfinity, Nascar style, could be a direction of the future

I would think that with the speeds, the proximity of the driver to the door, the number of hard barriers and the amount of contact NASCAR cars tend to have, that opening doors would not be considered. As I tried to explain to some of my "snobbish" sports car friends, NASCAR complies more real world crash data and experience in one season than most other series, even F1 would generate in a decade or more, so they kind of know what works for them and what doesn't.

Yeah I was thinking that too, but in the modern age you would think we would be able to find a way around this by now. I would also think that this would be a safety item manufacturers might want to incorporate into their road cars if they ever figured out a viable solution.
I just keep going back to the horrible bristol accidents and think that there is no way we could ever use doors, but a guy can dream that drivers won't have to go through the window one day!

I'm with @gnomesayin on this... say "No" to BoP. It would be a perpetual clusterf**k that would be 10 X worse than anything we see in sportscar racing (which is plenty bad IMO). "My 4-cylinder Honda needs more turbo boost to be competitive with the Corvettes." No thank you!

Back
Top Bottom