#24 Team Being Investigated For Tape Gate

I want to know what Napa is communicating to HMS. The last time Napa was on a car and some shenanigans went on they didn't seem to like it.

Clever teams trying clever things and NASCAR figuring it out - a normal day in racing. Some think when a car dominates they must be cheating. But there is another possibility, the dominate team figured out how to set their car up for their driver better than anyone else.

I can't understand why a sport and the fans within it tolerate cheating. Its like using the Lance Armstrong's arguments for cheating, and saying "OK".

I want to know what Napa is communicating to HMS. The last time Napa was on a car and some shenanigans went on they didn't seem to like it.

I doubt they have a problem with this situation compared to that one.

I can't understand why a sport and the fans within it tolerate cheating. Its like using the Lance Armstrong's arguments for cheating, and saying "OK".
Ahh...the good ole "If you ain't cheatin', you ain't tryin' "

I've never quite got that one either but over the years have learned to laugh that s**t off. :)

Well that makes two of us but the Richmond incident was way more egregious than the tape.

Might be. Then again maybe they don't want their brand logo on a vehicle that got clipped for cheating in all the reporting being done. Those actions are being associated with their brand.

I mean let's be real, the 24's only shot at winning a championship was to find some sort of advantage.

I wouldn't call it noble, cheating is cheating, but I think we are all smart enough to understand why they did what they did.

It is quite unlike Lance Armstrong's use of drugs.

In 1949 at Charlotte, the winner of the very first NASCAR race in the Strictly Stock Series, Glenn Dunaway, was disqualified for having illegal "bootlegger rear springs" on his Ford. Fans are not required to tolerate cheating ... neither are you.

They need to pummel these teams when they get caught cheating ... wins should be removed, and 2nd place cars should receive the victory. If you get caught cheating you receive no points for that race. You have to make the penalties really hurt to get them to quit doing it. Now it's basically just a light slap on the wrist.

Marty Robbins was an honest cheater.

“I just wanted to see what it was like to run up front for once.”

They need to pummel these teams when they get caught cheating ... wins should be removed, and 2nd place cars should receive the victory. If you get caught cheating you receive no points for that race. You have to make the penalties really hurt to get them to quit doing it. Now it's basically just a light slap on the wrist.
Tell that to Moody. He thinks the idea of giving first place points to 2nd-40th place finishers is the most ludicrous idea ever. And also "too much math".

But the points format isn't too much math. Sound reasoning :rolleyes:

Cheating in auto racing is as ingrained in the fabric as honesty is in golf. In fact, golf is the only sport I know of where getting a competitive advantage is frowned upon. Do you freak out when a defense back gets away with pass interference? NASCAR is two faced about it all anyway. Just like how they want to penalize drivers for fighting, but can't wait to show you the end of the 79' Daytona 500. Honestly, I think the current regime is more concerned with having to "deal with it" than they are the actual cheating. It's why the cars are almost identical now. Policing the cars when they were all different took actual effort, and somebody was always unhappy. That would severely cut into Brian's time to sit around and think up new gimmicks to implement into the races.

How dumb is it that every single scandal/controversy/violation automatically gets the "-gate" suffix nowadays?
Kinda funny that the floodgates may be now be open after the use of that tape that instigated the investigation may have in turn negated the #24's chances of advancing in the playoffs.

A cucumber compared to poison ivy..should be an interesting dilemma for Napa know how . If it was Napa tape, it wasn't as impressive as Phil with his flex seal.

IF NASCAR can articulate in great detail and prove the violation of Team 24.

Then throw Team 24 out of the Chase for the Cup Championship.

And the entire Team 24 sits out at least one race.

That's awesome....did he win that race?

No.

Finished in 18th and then drove to impound area and told officials to check his cheated up carburetor. They voided his 18th place and deemed him to have finished at back of the pack in 50th.

I'll leave it there as I'm straying way off topic here.

That's a little excessive don't you think?

No.

Finished in 18th and then drove to impound area and told officials to check his cheated up carburetor. They voided his 18th place and deemed him to have finished at back of the pack in 50th.

I'll leave it there as I'm straying way off topic here.

one can only imagine if Marty Robbins was racing today..ah that rich country star, silver spooner, Nascar should ban him for life. blah blah. He's the reason for falling attendance

NASHCASH is not required to articulate any of this in any detail nor are they obligated to prove a thing.

It doesn't matter if The Emperor is fully clothed or not ... he's still The Emperor.

Someone else on Reddit made this point, but we all seem to be missing the bigger picture here that a simple little piece of f*&king tape can add 50lbs of downforce and .2 seconds better a lap? It's absolutely insane how aero dependent these cars are that little cheats like this can make more of a difference than a skilled driver ever will.

Someone else on Reddit made this point, but we all seem to be missing the bigger picture here that a simple little piece of f*&king tape can add 50lbs of downforce and .2 seconds better a lap? It's absolutely insane how aero dependent these cars are that little cheats like this can make more of a difference than a skilled driver ever will.

200 MPH..what do you expect, airplanes would be flying at that speed. Probably need to find a 1/4 mile short track, something under 60mph speeds.

There is no data to support that.

NASHCASH is not required to articulate any of this in any detail nor are they obligated to prove a thing.

It doesn't matter if The Emperor is fully clothed or not ... he's still The Emperor.

Required no. Morally obligated to? In my opinion yes. Just like the secret fines the drivers were getting. Fine anybody you want, but don't play "double secret probation" bull**** on the paying public.

Brad is right the 78 in particular has something. We know the history of martin truex, while I like the guy and think he is cool, he is not and has never been a 5-7 win a season guy.

Given the car he can and has. Check his Busch Series stats when he drove for Jr with Chance 2 Motorsports. Very similar to what he's doing now.

I never suspected that there would be a 4 page thread dedicated to tape.

Required no. Morally obligated to? In my opinion yes. Just like the secret fines the drivers were getting. Fine anybody you want, but don't play "double secret probation" bull**** on the paying public.
Straw man argument. This indiscretion and its penalty are in the public domain.

200 MPH..what do you expect, airplanes would be flying at that speed. Probably need to find a 1/4 mile short track, something under 60mph speeds.
Exactly. Aero sensitivity is a function of velocity.

Straw man argument. This indiscretion and its penalty are in the public domain.

Well then, maybe you can show exactly how, where and when the tape was placed, and what it's perceived benefit would be. I've looked everywhere, and I don't know any more details about this incident than what I learned from a screen capture and a video clip 26+ hours ago. If this was some quarterback getting leveled by a dirty late hit, I'd have 50 people on TV breaking it down frame by frame for a week. I can't even get a NASCAR official to EXPLAIN the infraction, let alone illustrate it. In this case, we get a vague reference from the rule book, and we're all supposed to say OK, and move on. Maybe that satisfies you, but not me.

Well then, maybe you can show exactly how, where and when the tape was placed, and what it's perceived benefit would be. I've looked everywhere, and I don't know any more details about this incident than what I learned from a screen capture and a video clip 26+ hours ago. If this was some quarterback getting leveled by a dirty late hit, I'd have 50 people on TV breaking it down frame by frame for a week. I can't even get a NASCAR official to EXPLAIN the infraction, let alone illustrate it. In this case, we get a vague reference from the rule book, and we're all supposed to say OK, and move on. Maybe that satisfies you, but not me.
How unfortunate for you. Don't hold your breath waiting for the sanctioning body to take the car and the offending item to the wind tunnel before publishing the results.

This is/was a minor infraction. You know perfectly well that adding even a small amount of tape to a panel (whose sole purpose is to add downforce) after pre-race inspection and removing it before post-race festivities is against the rules. No further explanation is required ... by anyone.

Jackman, for good reasons or bad reasons, Nascar has always declined to release the details you are asking for regarding technical infractions. With all due respect, that policy is completely independent of the fact that your favorite team and your favorite driver are being penalized today. Where was your righteous indignation after Darlington? Or Michigan? If Rick Hendrick wanted to debate the details, he'd have the opportunity, but apparently he didn't see the need.

Back
Top Bottom