500 RACE thread

Good race, Logano's car was fast, but I cant say he was on my list of 10 guys to win the Daytona 500 coming into today.

Overall a pretty good race. All the wind was taken out with that caution for Almendinger, but the 20 laps before that, holy sh!t, I think that may have been the most intense, on the edge of your seat racing at Daytona in years. I couldn't even sit down watching that.
Certainly the best racing I've seen at Daytona in a long time and we were on our feet pacing around as well. My son's a 48 fan, wife likes the 15 and I have not found a driver since Texas Terry hung it up. I need a driver to start rooting for but it's cool just watching it and diggin the competition with no real horse on the track.

Overall a pretty good race. All the wind was taken out with that caution for Almendinger, but the 20 laps before that, holy sh!t, I think that may have been the most intense, on the edge of your seat racing at Daytona in years. I couldn't even sit down watching that.

absolutely agree. hate the plates, but that last long run was an incredible display of driving skill.

I'm happy for Logano. I wanted Junior to win, and I wish they had let them race to the end. I still don't think Junior would have won, but it would have been more exciting.

Certainly the best racing I've seen at Daytona in a long time and we were on our feet pacing around as well. My son's a 48 fan, wife likes the 15 and I have not found a driver since Texas Terry hung it up. I need a driver to start rooting for but it's cool just watching it and diggin the competition with no real horse on the track.

To me it is asinine to rate the quality of the race on how well your favorite driver did. Imo it is embarrassing some of the love fests people have going on with the driver they root for.

I congratulate you on being a real race fan.

To me it is asinine to rate the quality of the race on how well your favorite driver did. Imo it is embarrassing some of the love fests people have going on with the driver they root for.

''Love fests'' ............ that is great!!!!!!!!!!

I think the biggest fans of the 'love fests' I have ever seen are the Sr. and Jr. ones......

Listened to the race on radio at work and and now starting the DVR at home.

Just finished watching Jeffs opening parade lap, and his kids riding in the back of the truck with him.

When they drove by the crowd his kids started waving with both hands and jumping up and down. One of the sweetest moments and the best thing I have seen in a long time.

I will try to snark him a few last times when possible, but it just got a lot tougher.

The wife had the TV on NBC news when I got home. They did approximately a 3 to 5 minute report, complete with a Kurt Busch suspension rehash/ Kyles injury & Nascars embarrassment over the unsoftened walls and a Tony Stewart/ Kevin Ward clip and Ward photo.

On a postive note a good interveiw with Gordon/ and some race footage/ finally Lagano getting the 500 win.

About 70 % negative/ 30% positive imo.

No.
Don't confuse plate racing with non-plate racing.
Oh I'm not confused. The poster said that Junior has 8 top 3s in the Daytona 500... 3rd behind Richard and Cale and you said they didn't race in plate packs. I don't think that takes away from Junior's accomplishment. It's still a great accomplishment. I'm not even sure where non-plate came into the discussion.

Thank you for that. The first Cup race I ever attended was 1991 Dover and Harry won it. The King drove in that one as well. I was old enough to see so many greats but too young to have seen so many more. I get a lot of enjoyment watching the joy and frustration of all my family and friends at the track and at home and that's what it's all about for me. Next week, next week ...another shot, another race.

Oh I'm not confused. The poster said that Junior has 8 top 3s in the Daytona 500... 3rd behind Richard and Cale and you said they didn't race in plate packs. I don't think that takes away from Junior's accomplishment. It's still a great accomplishment. I'm not even sure where non-plate came into the discussion.
Non-plate came into the discussion when non-plate era drivers were compared to Dale Jr.

Non-plate came into the discussion when non-plate era drivers were compared to Dale Jr.
I don't think so... Someone said that Junior had 8 top 3s in the Daytona 500. They weren't comparing him but just saying he was third behind those two. But it's not like it really matters.... as I said. I think the 8 top 3s is quite an accomplishment and as far as I'm concerned, it shows he knows how to race in that format. But as far as comparing, I don't think that's what the poster was saying.. and I know it's not what I was saying.

With that, I digress. Maybe I misunderstood the post :)
Dale Jr. doesn't belong in the same sentence with Richard and Cale unless the point has something to do with contrast.

The wife had the TV on NBC news when I got home. They did approximately a 3 to 5 minute report, complete with a Kurt Busch suspension rehash/ Kyles injury & Nascars embarrassment over the unsoftened walls and a Tony Stewart/ Kevin Ward clip and Ward photo.

On a postive note a good interveiw with Gordon/ and some race footage/ finally Lagano getting the 500 win.

About 70 % negative/ 30% positive imo.
This to me is the enigma...the news loves to report the winner of maybe two Cup races a year. When something goes bad they run it for three days straight. As Dave Moody says, there are two ESPNs..the ESPN that runs the race and the Sportscenter ESPN that looks to make villains out of anybody they can.

...Just finished watching Jeffs opening parade lap, and his kids riding in the back of the truck with him. When they drove by the crowd his kids started waving with both hands and jumping up and down. One of the sweetest moments and the best thing I have seen in a long time.I will try to snark him a few last times when possible, but it just got a lot tougher.

A nice thought that remains. You know Ingrid rightfully is proud of them. Probably picked them up afterwards and cuddled them forever. It is the curtain is coming down on Camelot, the kind of

Ok this is scaring me, gotta get my hate back on. Saying 500 sheitt fars,....

Right. Didn't know what it meant then. Enjoyed it but looking back I think I woulda appreciated it more. Harry Gant was a Champ, IROC literally and as a person and I barely knew who he was at the time.

Oh crap its the "real race fan" discussion again :eek:
Nascar.com finished its spiral down the crapper when that one got started.............. so many of us were crushed when we found out we werent real race fans, I have never recovered

the 500 today and actually the whole 2 weeks at Daytona Ryan Newman has sucked

No.
Don't confuse plate racing with non-plate racing.

Can you give me an example of how pre-plate Daytona/Talladega took more talent than it does now? I've seen old Daytona 500s, there wasn't some magical racing that took place that doesn't happen now. Daytona of 1975 was still about having a better engine and aero package than everyone else, not much different than now. Big track racing is going to be big track racing, the speeds being restricted doesn't matter.

I thought it was a good race overall. It seemed to fly by but I had to go to work this morning so I watched it when I got him in the afternoon, usually Monday deal 'round here, so I was fast forwarding through the many ads etc.

Disappointed of course #24 couldn't make it happen, but I felt some calls left him in the middle and it doesn't seem like you can drive from 10th on back in just a few laps anymore so he got boxed in IMO.

So after weeks of excitement about the big race it feels like it's just over now and has left me with an empty feeling of sorts. :confused:

Can you give me an example of how pre-plate Daytona/Talladega took more talent than it does now? I've seen old Daytona 500s, there wasn't some magical racing that took place that doesn't happen now. Daytona of 1975 was still about having a better engine and aero package than everyone else, not much different than now. Big track racing is going to be big track racing, the speeds being restricted doesn't matter.
The cars weren't in a blob. You could pass without help from another car. It wasn't a crapshoot where the strongest line of cars with best run could move to the front. Before plates it was more of an individual driver effort instead of who you have pushing you.

This to me is the enigma...the news loves to report the winner of maybe two Cup races a year. When something goes bad they run it for three days straight. As Dave Moody says, there are two ESPNs..the ESPN that runs the race and the Sportscenter ESPN that looks to make villains out of anybody they can.

The only reason I can think of as to why negative stories are so prevalent is that they must draw viewers. I don't know if it is true or not but they say bad publicity is better than no publicity.

Right. Didn't know what it meant then. Enjoyed it but looking back I think I woulda appreciated it more. Harry Gant was a Champ, IROC literally and as a person and I barely knew who he was at the time.

I have met and spoke with Harry several times over the years and he is a man of character. I have never heard a fan or an announcer say a bad word about him which is quite a compliment.

Oh crap its the "real race fan" discussion again :eek:
Nascar.com finished its spiral down the crapper when that one got started.............. so many of us were crushed when we found out we werent real race fans, I have never recovered

A real race fan watches the races and appreciates what he sees regardless of who is successful. Driver fans are the one's who carry on like babies if someone says something negative about their guy, leave races early if their guy gets knocked out or is running poorly and almost live vicariously through them. Being emotionally tied to a driver or athlete is pathetic unless you are 10 years old.

A real race fan watches the races and appreciates what he sees regardless of who is successful. Driver fans are the one's who carry on like babies if someone says something negative about their guy, leave races early if their guy gets knocked out or is running poorly and almost live vicariously through them. Being emotionally tied to a driver or athlete is pathetic unless you are 10 years old.

My driver was in the hospital during the Daytona 500 and I still watched the race, please notify me if that makes me a "real race fan" now

Back
Top Bottom