#88 driver announcement - It's Bowman

CONCORD, N.C. -- One year after his impressive debut with Hendrick Motorsports, the team has named Alex Bowman full-time driver of the No. 88 Chevrolet in the NASCAR Cup Series with a 19-race majority sponsorship from Nationwide beginning in 2018.

Bowman, 24, piloted the No. 88 Chevrolet SS in 10 of the final 18 Cup races last season in place of injured driver Dale Earnhardt Jr. The Tucson, Arizona, native debuted July 17, 2016, at New Hampshire and went on to earn three top-10 finishes with the team including a sixth-place result at Phoenix, where he won the pole position and led a race-high 194 laps.

“Ever since I was a kid, racing is all I’ve wanted to do,” Bowman said. “I’ve had so many people believe in me along the way. My family has sacrificed a lot and always been behind me. I would never have this chance without the support of Dale and everyone involved with the No. 88 team. To be part of Hendrick Motorsports and for Mr. Hendrick to have this confidence in me, it’s just amazing.

“The No. 88 team is such a great group of people. I know we can pick up where we left off last year, and I truly believe we can win races and contend for a championship. I’m excited to build on the relationship with Nationwide and all of our partners. It means the world that they have faith in me, and I’m thankful to have them on my side. Now I just want to go win.”

Nationwide, one of the largest and strongest diversified insurance and financial services organizations in the United States, joined Hendrick Motorsports in 2014 as a corporate partner and in 2015 became majority sponsor of the No. 88 Chevrolet with driver Earnhardt, who will retire from full-time racing at the end of 2017. Nationwide’s 19 primary races with Bowman and the team in 2018 will include the season-opening Daytona 500.

“We are thrilled to continue our relationship with Hendrick Motorsports and welcome Alex to the No. 88 Nationwide team,” said Terrance Williams, chief marketing officer at Nationwide. “Rick Hendrick and the No. 88 team have been exceptional partners for the last three years, and we look forward to our joint commitment and engagement with the NASCAR community, both on and off the track.”

In addition to Nationwide’s one-year extension, Axalta Coating Systems (NYSE: AXTA), a leading global supplier of liquid and powder coatings, will increase its number of races featured as the primary sponsor of the No. 88 team by two for next season, bringing its total to 15 Cup events with Bowman in 2018. Axalta has been a Hendrick Motorsports corporate partner since 1992 and a sponsor of the No. 88 Chevrolet since 2016.

http://www.hendrickmotorsports.com/...de-chevrolet-for-hendrick-motorsports-in-2018

Unfortunately it has been a while since Dale Jr has been competitive each week in the car so it will be interesting to see what Bowman can do. It is a premium ride so premium results are needed as below average results won't do. Maybe this will help light a fire under Elliott and give him some internal competition and the push he needs to get over the hump.

Good for him. I don't think Bowman's gonna be a megastar like Elliott, Blaney, and Jones likely will be, but he'll do alright in that ride.

Good for him. I don't think Bowman's gonna be a megastar like Elliott, Blaney, and Jones likely will be, but he'll do alright in that ride.
That's why we watch isn't it. Nobody thought Matt Crafton was going to win last night. Now before some goof say oh yeah I knew he was going to win, the shells told me. Nobody is a figure of speech.

His rise to prominence was very quick IMO. This will be very interesting.

His rise to prominence was very quick IMO. This will be very interesting.
he has around 130 starts in Xfinity and cup. Tommy Baldwin, Robby Benton back marker cars. Only 10 starts for Hendrick, so for sure THIS should be very interesting. :p

he has around 130 starts in Xfinity and cup. Tommy Baldwin, Robby Benton back marker cars

Kind of my point. Fired by Baldwin--right? I mean, I don't think anybody gave him a second look until he filled in for Jr. Now, the media frenzy has him as the second coming. I think he has a ton to prove. Hope the best for him, really.

Kind of my point. Fired by Baldwin--right? I mean, I don't think anybody gave him a second look until he filled in for Jr. Now, the media frenzy has him as the second coming. I think he has a ton to prove. Hope the best for him, really.
The second coming? I haven't read remarks placing him in that category but anyone that was going to climb behind the wheel of the #88 was going to be the topic of the day by the NASCAR media.

My initial reaction was to come in here and ask what exactly makes him so deserving in the eyes of so many in here, but I didn't want to dump on the thread lol. You could argue a guy like Allgaier is more deserving, at least he's won Xfinity races with JRM equipment...

I'm struggling to wrap my head around all the love.

The second coming? I haven't read remarks placing him in that category but anyone that was going to climb behind the wheel of the #88 was going to be the topic of the day by the NASCAR media.

Second coming was probably a bit strong, but the vibe is that this will be a fabulous deal. It certainly could be, but the sample size from last year (a different aero package) is pretty small IMO. Interesting.

Second coming was probably a bit strong, but the vibe is that this will be a fabulous deal. It certainly could be, but the sample size from last year (a different aero package) is pretty small IMO. Interesting.
If he was replacing Kenseth you would be all roses, unicorns and fuzzy puppies and you know it. :p

More interesting to me is a guy like Byron whose arrow has been pointing upward non stop from the moment he sat behind a real steering wheel gets the raw end of the deal. I get the sponsorship angle, but how is that kid not one of the easiest sells in the sport? He wins, and wins a lot.

It's always great to see someone get a decent seat with a chance to prove themselves. Most times it doesn't happen with even the best of equipment but sometimes things just click. It'll be fun to watch though. I don't know the guy from Adam but there certainly seems to be an outpouring of support from the vocal NASCAR Community.

More interesting to me is a guy like Byron whose arrow has been pointing upward non stop from the moment he sat behind a real steering wheel gets the raw end of the deal. I get the sponsorship angle, but how is that kid not one of the easiest sells in the sport? He wins, and wins a lot.

The feel I get about Byron is that everybody is waiting for the other shoe to drop given his lack of experience. There might not be another shoe, but Hendrick isn't going to screw this up. There will be another seat available....maybe next year.

I like this move. Shows that Hendricks are not interested in a seat filler for a year or so.

Is vegas taking odds on bowman winning before chase, because I have 10 grand burning a hole?

Back
Top Bottom