All Electric NASCAR Series on the Horizon

I wonder if this is the "leaked" image I saw this on Facebook completely unsourced

View attachment 74028
Yeah that looks like the R&D center. Oops.

This thing is getting flamed but I think it’s an interesting idea for a demonstration series. Looks reminiscent of a TCR model anyway. Would be probably torquey enough to be a fun companion event at some short track races.

This thing is getting flamed but I think it’s an interesting idea for a demonstration series. Looks reminiscent of a TCR model anyway. Would be probably torquey enough to be a fun companion event at some short track races.
The Jaguar F-Pace Electric Series was pretty cool. It vaguely reminds me of those cars.

The fossil fuel industry's relentless war on EV's has been super effective. Sadly, I think it's DOA.

Hell, people are still buying Chevy Silverado S9500 Triple Diesel Ultra Duty Earnhardt Editions that get 12mpg while complaining about the price of gas.

Curious if this actually happens soon. All the manufacturers and regulators are realizing the "100% EV" push by 2030 is not...

Profitable
Sustainable
Realistic
Or something the consumer wants in any way shape or form.

I'm not trying to spin but it's been a horrendous summer for EVs across every metric. Price cuts of double digit percentages, massive oversupply compared to ICE, governments delaying ev transitions.

Curious if this actually happens soon. All the manufacturers and regulators are realizing the "100% EV" push by 2030 is not...

Profitable
Sustainable
Realistic
Or something the consumer wants in any way shape or form.

I'm not trying to spin but it's been a horrendous summer for EVs across every metric. Price cuts of double digit percentages, massive oversupply compared to ICE, governments delaying ev transitions.
fact check:
As part of President Biden’s goal of having 50 percent of all new vehicle sales be electric by 2030, the White House is announcing public and private commitments to support America’s historic transition to electric vehicles (EV) under the EV Acceleration Challenge.

• Haha
Reactions: sdj
A cursory scan of that fact sheet shows a whole lot of increasing EV fleets and charging stations…but I didn’t see much in the way of increasing places that provide the necessary component to all that.

A cursory scan of that fact sheet shows a whole lot of increasing EV fleets and charging stations…but I didn’t see much in the way of increasing places that provide the necessary component to all that.
Pilot/Flying J 2,000 stations

T/A travel Centers 1000 stations

Electrify America, has over 800 now, adding another 200 at Ikea.

The fossil fuel industry's relentless war on EV's has been super effective. Sadly, I think it's DOA.

Hell, people are still buying Chevy Silverado S9500 Triple Diesel Ultra Duty Earnhardt Editions that get 12mpg while complaining about the price of gas.
We have gas prices more than twice as high as the US average and yet the all-electric VW plant near me is laying off workers as production lines are standing still.
EVs are simply a less convincing product at this point while cars with a mild-hybrid system are selling rather well.

It’s not that at all lol! Hybrids are the future with EV’s for **** like sedans and really small SUV’s. America is just too big of a country to make EV’s realistic

America is just too big of a country to make EV’s realistic
Most of my driving is within 25 miles of home. If we weren't making regular 4-hour trips to support my aging mother, at least one of our current vehicles could have been an electric. Soon I'll be retiring and we'll be moving closer to her. If the prices come down, our next vehicle could be an electric. It will at least be another hybrid; I don't see us ever owning a 'pure' gas-burner again.

Electrics don't have to fit all needs to be economically successful. I suspect an electric is a viable option for most families, in combination with either a second hybrid vehicle or a rental, depending on needs.

Most of my driving is within 25 miles of home. If we weren't making regular 4-hour trips to support my aging mother, at least one of our current vehicles could have been an electric. Soon I'll be retiring and we'll be moving closer to her. If the prices come down, our next vehicle could be an electric. It will at least be another hybrid; I don't see us ever owning a 'pure' gas-burner again.

Electrics don't have to fit all needs to be economically successful. I suspect an electric is a viable option for most families, in combination with either a second hybrid vehicle or a rental, depending on needs.
EVs aren’t that far off though. Affordability is the main obstacle.

The biggest challenge in the future is the power grid. The same people (Fossil fuel lobbyists, Fox News, the GOP) who say EVs will overload the power grid are the ones who are adamantly against modernizing and upgrading it.

Americans also love their big ass pickup trucks.

• Haha
Reactions: sdj
A Chevy Bolt sells retail for 26-30 thousand but if you qualify for the tax credit up to 7,500 comes off of that price. 0 to 60 in 6.5 seconds. I think a lot of people aren't aware of how far and fast EV's are moving. Over a million sold in the U.S. last year. GM says there are over 40,000 public charging stations. That's a lot of selling points.

Yeah, I've never understood that. I know there are definite advantages for the manufacturers to trucks over sedans, having to do with lower federal fleet gas mileage requirement for vehicles built on truck chassis over auto chassis. I attribute some of the appeal to consumers to marketing, but it sure looks like a lot of people are buying far more vehicle than they'll ever need. I've just never wanted to feed or insure or replace the tires on something that size, much less try to maneuver it. Heck, after almost three months, I'm still not getting the new Maverick into a parking space to my satisfaction.

Just me, I guess.

Pilot/Flying J 2,000 stations

T/A travel Centers 1000 stations

Electrify America, has over 800 now, adding another 200 at Ikea.

I was referring to what comes out of those charging stations, the electricity, I’m not seeing much in the way of new electric generation creation. That being said, I’m also not paying too much attention to that subject.

Yeah, I've never understood that. I know there are definite advantages for the manufacturers to trucks over sedans, having to do with lower federal fleet gas mileage requirement for vehicles built on truck chassis over auto chassis. I attribute some of the appeal to consumers to marketing, but it sure looks like a lot of people are buying far more vehicle than they'll ever need. I've just never wanted to feed or insure or replace the tires on something that size, much less try to maneuver it. Heck, after almost three months, I'm still not getting the new Maverick into a parking space to my satisfaction.

Just me, I guess.
Some of these are just minivans designed to look macho. Hell, these truck beds are so small that they have literally zero use. I can fit more in the back of my Corolla.

I’ve got a 1995 F-150 and it’s all the truck I need.

A Chevy Bolt sells retail for 26-30 thousand but if you qualify for the tax credit up to 7,500 comes off of that price. 0 to 60 in 6.5 seconds. I think a lot of people aren't aware of how far and fast EV's are moving. Over a million sold in the U.S. last year. GM says there are over 40,000 public charging stations. That's a lot of selling points.

My dad has a Bolt and loves it. Really neat little car, and serves it's purpose around town. He still drives his Buick on long trips and his Corvette when he wants to have fun.

I understand the appeal of an EV for a lot of people, especially as a secondary car, but I don't see them being the practical choice for the majority of society. Not in our lifetime anyway.

EVs aren’t that far off though. Affordability is the main obstacle.

The biggest challenge in the future is the power grid. The same people (Fossil fuel lobbyists, Fox News, the GOP) who say EVs will overload the power grid are the ones who are adamantly against modernizing and upgrading it.

I Love that I have a truck. It's an asset for where I live and what I do ..
I especially love telling people "No", when asked if my truck and trailers are available to help ' move'

The fossil fuel industry's relentless war on EV's has been super effective.
I don't think the fossil fuel industry needed to do much here, though. The free market seems to have decided that EVs aren't in high demand, due to range anxiety for the most part. I still see hardly any charging stations in public places, and it's been what, eleven years since the gen-1 Leaf hit dealerships? Until you can recharge to full range in two minutes like you can at a gas pump, the masses aren't going to be too into it, imo.

I Love that I have a truck. It's an asset for where I live and what I do ..
I especially love telling people "No", when asked if my truck and trailers are available to help ' move'

I have a truck too. Hell, people who have modern trucks ask to borrow mine because it’s more practical (8 foot bed, V8, RWD) for actual trucking purposes.

Many of today’s trucks are fashion statements from people who watch Yellowstone and want to cosplay as a cowboy.

I don't think the fossil fuel industry needed to do much here, though. The free market seems to have decided that EVs aren't in high demand, due to range anxiety for the most part. I still see hardly any charging stations in public places, and it's been what, eleven years since the gen-1 Leaf hit dealerships? Until you can recharge to full range in two minutes like you can at a gas pump, the masses aren't going to be too into it, imo.
EVs aren’t that far off from that.

The part of the whole market side that isn’t talked about is that people tend to think of Tesla when they think EV, and Elon Musk has pissed off the people most likely to buy an EV.

EVs aren’t that far off from that.
Aren't far off from what, recharging to full range in two minutes? The Ford Lightning can gain 65% charge in 36 minutes. People don't always have a half-hour to wait around, especially when traveling longer distances. Versus tapping your card at the gas pump and being on your way in a tenth of the time, it's easy to see why EVs aren't swaying people on convenience.

Aren't far off from what, recharging to full range in two minutes? The Ford Lightning can gain 65% charge in 36 minutes. People don't always have a half-hour to wait around, especially when traveling longer distances. Versus tapping your card at the gas pump and being on your way in a tenth of the time, it's easy to see why EVs aren't swaying people on convenience.
Lithium batteries … give it a few years and they’ll be able to charge in 10 minutes.

Toyota is developing a 900 mile battery.

They don't have a few years. Public interest has already hit a screeching halt and consumers have spoken with their wallets.

Sales are slowing but it’s still going up

Of course sales jumped in spite of a downturn, you can actually buy cars right now. Unlike 2021-22. Housing sales are through the roof too despite everything.

The obstacle for EVs is that they’re way more expensive. And again, people think Tesla, which is dramatically overpriced. Price is literally the only thing.

It’s WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY too early to write off EVs.

But I do think the talking points against them are extremely effective. And I don’t think big truck culture is going anywhere.

Ironically, a Gas powered generator fits nicely in the bed of a Electric pickup truck.

How is this a hurdle against EVs when we have the Ford Lightning, Rivian, Hummer, and soon the Silverado EV and RAM Rev? Why can't big truck culture and EVs coexist in your view?
A good chunk of the big truck culture is trying to be redneck, and EVs go directly against that.

I don’t know where you live, but where I live, getting less than 15 mpg is a source of pride. No ****. The number of times I’ve been told I’m “not a real man” for driving a fuel efficient vehicle is laughable. Yet the same people bitch about how they’re spending $800/month in gas while I spend $120.

Big truck culture is a weird one. Very weird one.

What’s funny is that these people want to borrow my old ass truck when they need to move **** because their bed is either 2 feet long or they don’t want to risk damaging their truck in any way.

The same people will tell you an electric truck can’t do the things they are afraid their ICE truck won’t do.

Collectively deciding to rely on ICE vehicles and a power grid run only on coal, oil and natural gas would honestly be on brand for the United States though.

We have really become the nation of “we can’t.”

EVs and a modernized power grid on a more realistic timetable are not out of the question. Especially if we used nuclear energy as a bridge to that. But we would rather kick the can down the road.

A good chunk of the big truck culture is trying to be redneck, and EVs go directly against that.

I don’t know where you live, but where I live, getting less than 15 mpg is a source of pride. No ****. The number of times I’ve been told I’m “not a real man” for driving a fuel efficient vehicle is laughable. Yet the same people bitch about how they’re spending $800/month in gas while I spend $120.

Big truck culture is a weird one. Very weird one.

What’s funny is that these people want to borrow my old ass truck when they need to move **** because their bed is either 2 feet long or they don’t want to risk damaging their truck in any way.

The same people will tell you an electric truck can’t do the things they are afraid their ICE truck won’t do.

Collectively deciding to rely on ICE vehicles and a power grid run only on coal, oil and natural gas would honestly be on brand for the United States though.

We have really become the nation of “we can’t.”

EVs and a modernized power grid on a more realistic timetable are not out of the question. Especially if we used nuclear energy as a bridge to that. But we would rather kick the can down the road.
I didn't even read all that. Wherever you live is not indicative of the entire country and it sounds like you just happen to know a bunch of idiots.

I didn't even read all that. Wherever you live is not indicative of the entire country and it sounds like you just happen to know a bunch of idiots.
Representative of anywhere from 20-40% of the country - which is more than enough to make a dent in market trends.

"Big Truck Culture" is sweeping big cities now.

I have a truck too. Hell, people who have modern trucks ask to borrow mine because it’s more practical (8 foot bed, V8, RWD) for actual trucking purposes.

Many of today’s trucks are fashion statements from people who watch Yellowstone and want to cosplay as a cowboy.
I have a 3500 HD Dually High Country Diesel Silverado as my daily driver and I’m thinking of trading in for a GMC Denali Diesel Dually. I just like the look of the truck, feel safe in them, my father had a King Ranch Dually when I was a kid and I use it to haul stuff for work. At no point have I felt like Rip Wheeler driving to work. Well maybe a little like John Dutton but I bought my 2015 truck in 2017, I think before Yellowstone came out.

Also, don't take my word for it. Watch the presidential campaign ads and ads for people running for Congress. Anyone running on the Republican ticket has an ad of them filling up a literal monster truck complaining about the price of gas.

Americans are the kings of making irresponsible decisions and expecting someone else to pay for it.

I just like the look of the truck, feel safe in them

"Feel safe" is part of it too. When everyone on the road is driving a truck that, when they get behind you, it looks like they're literally going to drive over and through you if you don't get out of their way, it makes you want to buy the same thing.

This is intentional. And why these trucks keep getting bigger and "BaDaSs" looking.

The sheer size of these trucks is actually something that needs to be regulated before we are selling 18-year-olds CDL-size trucks just so they can be a badass.

We had the problem in North Carolina where people would take the back of the truck and lower it to where it's on the ground, then take the front of the truck and lift it up. The state actually had to ban it because it was unsafe. These kids were causing tons of accidents because they were literally looking at the sky, not the road. And the trucks had no purpose since anything you'd put in the bed would basically fall out.

Today's trucks are so large they literally pose enormous safety risks to even SUVs, older trucks, and modern sedans/SUVs. People LITERALLY climb in to these things with ladders, just to feel like Superman. And at the end of the day, many of these consumer "Big Badass Ultra American Trucks" can't actually hold up to the workload of older trucks.

"Big Truck Culture" is so stupid.

Also, don't take my word for it. Watch the presidential campaign ads and ads for people running for Congress. Anyone running on the Republican ticket has an ad of them filling up a literal monster truck complaining about the price of gas.

Americans are the kings of making irresponsible decisions and expecting someone else to pay for it.

"Feel safe" is part of it too. When everyone on the road is driving a truck that, when they get behind you, it looks like they're literally going to drive over and through you if you don't get out of their way, it makes you want to buy the same thing.

This is intentional. And why these trucks keep getting bigger and "BaDaSs" looking.

The sheer size of these trucks is actually something that needs to be regulated before we are selling 18-year-olds CDL-size trucks just so they can be a badass.

We had the problem in North Carolina where people would take the back of the truck and lower it to where it's on the ground, then take the front of the truck and lift it up. The state actually had to ban it because it was unsafe. These kids were causing tons of accidents because they were literally looking at the sky, not the road. And the trucks had no purpose since anything you'd put in the bed would basically fall out.

Today's trucks are so large they literally pose enormous safety risks to even SUVs, older trucks, and modern sedans/SUVs. People LITERALLY climb in to these things with ladders, just to feel like Superman. And at the end of the day, many of these consumer "Big Badass Ultra American Trucks" can't actually hold up to the workload of older trucks.

"Big Truck Culture" is so stupid.
Mines not raised nor big tires. I’ll never raise it either. Factory everything. I just always liked the Dually’s and felt safe in them, especially after driving rear wheel drive cars my whole life until I got my current truck.

Back
Top Bottom