article: How NASCAR can get fans to return and retain them

Exactly.

One driver should not change someone's passion for the sport. I enjoy this sport and support it no matter the drivers. The depth of drivers have improved over the years as well.
There are fans in all sports that are fans of individual participants first, and fans of the sport itself second (if at all). There are plenty of other drivers whose fans who follow only that person. Not to pick on her (this time), but look at all the people who were drawn by Danica and the left when she retired (if not long before). Wasn't Travis Pastrana supposed to draw all those hipsters, long before Monster came along?

I have a friend who is a big fan of the University of Tennessee's football team. She was a fan of the Indianapolis Colts only while UT alumnus Payton Manning was playing for them. Once Manning retired, she went back to ignoring the NFL entirely.

Last edited:
Personalities was number 5 about why fans keep watching. There are a number of those type fans here. It has to be one of the many factors why some fans do not watch anymore. Sr, Jr. Gordon, Stewart, Edwards, Kenseth, Biffle, most have left the sport in the last 5 years, and when you look at who has come into the sport to replace them there is a void in that area. Young Elliott is about the only one that turns the dial compared with the divers above. Today's personalities, KDB, Harvick and twitter leader Johnson were all around during the time the drivers above were racing and added to that mix.

I remember those days. At the 07 500 when he wrecked people around me started leaving.
I was a Gordon fan and whenever he wrecked I would turn my TV off so I don't blame them for leaving lol.

I think the one-race for the championship and the stages are two major beefs that fans have with the sport. Like you, I actually like the stages, but I know it’s turned a lot of people off. If it’s any indication, NASCAR TV viewership last year was down 43% from 2013 (the last year without the playoff) and down 27% from 2016 (the last year without stage racing).
I don't mind the stages as much as I thought I would because it turns out they've mostly replaced the random 'debris cautions' :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes: and cautions are largely down overall as a result. The stage points are a good incentive too. Some tracks they do more harm than good but it's not something that alone could make me stop watching.

Playoffs have just never made sense of any sort and especially not the one-race championship. People watch racing for racing, not because they're a fan of any particular sporting format. I doubt anyone here that doesn't already watch English soccer would watch the EPL if they implemented a playoff format. And any TV ratings gains made against the NFL due to the playoff (there don't appear to be any at all) still come at the expense of larger lost numbers in the regular season.

If you’re in it for “personalities” then I suspect you aren’t really a motorsports fan .
From a business perspective, NASCAR and the tracks are probably interested in what fans want mostly so the organization can target those factors. If a large chunk of the audience is interested in personalities, then serving them up is good marketing. There's noting new about their interest or the approach.

That doesn't particularly appeal to me personally, so I'm not qualified to say how today's drivers stack up to those of earlier eras. If I was interested, I'd look for them to express themselves more on social media, and less on the 'traditional' forms that were all previous generations of drivers had available.

I guess you were in the I'm not watching mode and you missed seeing when Jr would wreck out and about 25% of the stands would get up and go home.
I was a Gordon fan and whenever he wrecked I would turn my TV off so I don't blame them for leaving lol.
I liked people who would do that. It made it easier for the rest of us to get out of the parking lot after the race was over.

From a business perspective, NASCAR and the tracks are probably interested in what fans want mostly so the organization can target those factors. If a large chunk of the audience is interested in personalities, then serving them up is good marketing. There's noting new about their interest or the approach.

That doesn't particularly appeal to me personally, so I'm not qualified to say how today's drivers stack up to those of earlier eras. If I was interested, I'd look for them to express themselves more on social media, and less on the 'traditional' forms that were all previous generations of drivers had available.
I don’t believe NASCAR knows what it’s doing in terms of giving fans what they want.

IDK what Nascar can do to have new fans appreciate the nuances in races.

...and this is where I think NASCAR is chasing its ass. Without the nuances, we have all of the weird rule changes, and without the nuances we have our "athletes" v. stick and ball of which there is no comparison. I thought the Tim Brewer Tech Garage days during the race was awesome. I think that Jeff Gordon and Junior speaking from the perspective of the driver is awesome. More tech, and more commentary about what it is like to interface with it is where the sweet spot is IMO. Less babble and driver personal stories would help.

...and this is where I think NASCAR is chasing its ass. Without the nuances, we have all of the weird rule changes, and without the nuances we have our "athletes" v. stick and ball of which there is no comparison. I thought the Tim Brewer Tech Garage days during the race was awesome. I think that Jeff Gordon and Junior speaking from the perspective of the driver is awesome. More tech, and more commentary about what it is like to interface with it is where the sweet spot is IMO. Less babble and driver personal stories would help.

Gordon and JR are two of the sports recent retired personalities. More personalities are #5 on this little survey on what would increase viewership, tied for 6th are the rules (no stages, no playoffs, 3rd, 4th). Pretty plain most fans are fed up with the recent rules changes. Fox's move to have drivers announcing many Xfinity and truck races appears to be a good move. I know I looked forward to it. some drivers (Hamlin) I thought would be a flop, weren't. Fox this year has a three d car they can take apart and show the various technical parts. I'm sure they are going to use it during races, and during their daily Nascar show.

Last edited:
Gordon and JR are two of the sports recent retired personalities. More personalities are #5 on this little survey on what would increase viewership, tied for 6th are the rules (no stages, no playoffs, 3rd, 4th). Pretty plain most fans are fed up with the recent rules changes. Fox's move to have drivers announcing many Xfinity and truck races appears to be a good move. I know I looked forward to it. some drivers (Hamlin) I thought would be a flop, weren't. Fox this year has a three d car they can take apart and show the various technical parts. I'm sure they are going to use it during races, and during their daily Nascar show.

Yeah, the survey isn't credible. I wouldn't go too far with the driver infusion on the broadcast side. It is starting to look like these guys are looking for retirement gigs, and the optics of that aren't good. Too much isn't good. I think the problem we have here is the stuff that turns potential fans away vs. retaining existing fans. Potential fans don't care about rules changes nearly as much as existing ones do. I hate that we have a virtual car when we should have an existing one to explain stuff--feels like lip service. One of the things that is really stupid regarding rules and technical aspects of the sport is the secrecy surround rules infractions Why? Nothing feeds conspiracy theories more than withholding information. If we are going to withhold information, let's let them play the way we used to, and turn a blind eye. Betcha "racin'" would improve.

Personalities have driven NASCAR forward -- legends at the track, community outreach, tributes and references in NASCAR media to past drivers, crew chiefs, builders, owners, etc. is not only relevant but honorable IMHO

-- all to remind and bond the current fan with the past, whether appreciated or not. I was never a JG or JR fan, but I like the fact that they've got their oars in the water, trying to help NASCAR make progress and endure. I believe they both have enough money to go do something less demanding than trying to save a lost motorsport.

Personalities have driven NASCAR forward -- legends at the track, community outreach, tributes and references in NASCAR media to past drivers, crew chiefs, builders, owners, etc. is not only relevant but honorable IMHO

-- all to remind and bond the current fan with the past, whether appreciated or not. I was never a JG or JR fan, but I like the fact that they've got their oars in the water, trying to help NASCAR make progress and endure. I believe they both have enough money to go do something less demanding than trying to save a lost motorsport.

Yeah, personalities are a part of it, but go to Michigan International....you will be talking about Ford, Chevy, and the Hated. This is awesomeness. Never had a better time at the track than in Michigan--talking to everybody about manufacturer pride. Lucky to get out of there alive, but once the faithful understood that I intended no disrespect, I was okay. Love that Michigan awards the Heritage Trophy for the winning manufacturer. Proud as hell that I was there the last time Toyota won it.

I agree, but it is a long way from lost. What is important or at least interesting to be aware of is that even though this survey above is fairly small, although many aren't aware of it, almost all of the recent posts that are on topic are concerned about the majority of the same issues when asked to give their opinions as the survey participants. Not counting the ones with their agendas.

If Nascar is looking to the future they will be figuring out what younger people want to see.

Honestly, I hear your post, but this is exactly what NASCAR shouldn't do. This sport can be boiled down to three elements: 1) Car, 2) Driver, 3) Race. It will never change. I believe that the younger crowd likes their ass kissed. They like the voice. They like the power. Problem is that they are uncertain about what they want IMO. We are chasing a group who likes to be chased, and will never admit to being caught. Screw them. Downsize as needed. Bring us back to a niche, and make 'em beg to get in. We continue to lose the fanbase (loyal, older fans) that could stabilize this fall because we are chasing a group that we will never catch. The reason the younger set is not here has not a damn thing to do with car culture. It has to do with the fact that they are being raised in largely single parent homes, and those parents don't have the time (or won't take the time) to share this sport with their kids. I have a 20 year old who has never changed his own oil. He is in college. He never misses a race, and texts relentlessly during the race. Why? Because I took the time to share it with him. Easier to just go to the track with buds? Yup. As awesome? Nope. He has flown red eye to join me at races, and gotten up (20 year old mind you) at 2:30 a.m. to make it back to class. This is the freakin' elephant in the room. The kids aren't here because we (as a society) didn't invite them.

Honestly, I hear your post, but this is exactly what NASCAR shouldn't do. This sport can be boiled down to three elements: 1) Car, 2) Driver, 3) Race. It will never change. I believe that the younger crowd likes their ass kissed. They like the voice. They like the power. Problem is that they are uncertain about what they want IMO. We are chasing a group who likes to be chased, and will never admit to being caught. Screw them. Downsize as needed. Bring us back to a niche, and make 'em beg to get in. We continue to lose the fanbase (loyal, older fans) that could stabilize this fall because we are chasing a group that we will never catch. The reason the younger set is not here has not a damn thing to do with car culture. It has to do with the fact that they are being raised in largely single parent homes, and those parents don't have the time (or won't take the time) to share this sport with their kids. I have a 20 year old who has never changed his own oil. He is in college. He never misses a race, and texts relentlessly during the race. Why? Because I took the time to share it with him. Easier to just go to the track with buds? Yup. As awesome? Nope. He has flown red eye to join me at races, and gotten up (20 year old mind you) at 2:30 a.m. to make it back to class. This is the freakin' elephant in the room. The kids aren't here because we (as a society) didn't invite them.
I have to agree with you Rev 100% here, its time NASCAR stop chasing the all mighty dollar and trying to be everything to everyone and get back to being everything to smaller group of everyone, that was I think the biggest problem is NASCAR went after the bandwagon fans that came in during the boom and has been doing everything they can to bring them back, its not going to happen. They need to focus on the fans that are still here and go back to being what it was, a niche sport.

NASCAR needs to prioritize taking care of the fans that want to be here and are here, and not the ones that dont really want anything to with cars or NASCAR .

I disagree. The youngsters aren’t here because overall they don’t GAF about cars. At least that’s how it is with the youngsters in my family. They don’t want to change oil. They want Lyft or Uber. The car culture is a dying demographic. Yes, they want to text and stream HIGHLIGHTS. They don’t want to sit through a 3-4 hour race if a condensed version is available.

I disagree. The youngsters aren’t here because overall they don’t GAF about cars. At least that’s how it is with the youngsters in my family. They don’t want to change oil. They want Lyft or Uber. The car culture is a dying demographic. Yes, they want to text and stream HIGHLIGHTS. They don’t want to sit through a 3-4 hour race if a condensed version is available.
Lol Bobby, I think that is what he is saying, that just dont give a rats rear end about cars or racing, I mean , that is how I took his post .

Maybe I read a little too deep into it :D
Oil and octane is in my blood :(
I understand, yeah, it sucks they the younger generations really don't have any interest in cars, at lease here anyways, I think it other parts of the world its not as bad, but its slowly changing. My mid 20's step son does not know how to drive, and doesnt even care to learn, he has no interest :eek:

And the then there is Gen Z, I think they are going be even less interested in driving.

I understand, yeah, it sucks they the younger generations really don't have any interest in cars, at lease here anyways, I think it other parts of the world its not as bad, but its slowly changing. My mid 20's step son does not know how to drive, and doesnt even care to learn, he has no interest :eek:

And the then there is Gen Z, I think they are going be even less interested in driving.
We have brought the family youngsters to the racetracks (just like our dads brought us,) they literally slept in the grandstands.
My dad taught me to OA weld and to tune cars with an oscilloscope when I was 10 years old.
My son thinks I can teach him to fix every part on any car in an hour or if I can provide him with the correct video link.

Good post and when I say that Nascar needs to court younger viewers I don’t mean they should do handstands. One thing I have heard that younger people want is reliable internet at Nascar tracks. Another thing they want is a place to gather enmasse during the race but IDK what they would do. These are things that are not even on track issues that could be done.

I completely agree with your opinion concerning single parent homes and I will tread carefully. IMO Nascar is something that is best introduced by father to son and then repeated. Kids can play all sorts of sports in school but they can’t play Nascar. Unfortunately the single parent thing will only become greater.

I think downsizing is a smart thing to do and in the past couple of years Nascar has moved some deck chairs around. Real downsizing will come when the number of series, races and cars on the grid are reduced. If the next broadcast deal is similar to the current one life will be good. If it is substantially less then look out.

We have brought the family youngsters to the racetracks (just like our dads brought us,) they literally slept in the grandstands.
My dad taught me to OA weld and to tune cars with an oscilloscope when I was 10 years old.
My son thinks I can teach him to fix every part on any car in an hour or if I can provide him with the correct video link.
Ya know, its possible to enjoy this sport with only a batteries-and-headlights level of maintenance knowledge. :D I do agree with the notion that you at least have to have an interest in driving.

Ya know, its possible to enjoy this sport with only a batteries-and-headlights level of maintenance knowledge. :D I do agree with the notion that you at least have to have an interest in driving.
I don’t know what drives someone to enjoy this sport beyond what is in my blood.
I know what doesn’t work, as perfected by NASCAR management.

I have to agree with you Rev 100% here, its time NASCAR stop chasing the all mighty dollar and trying to be everything to everyone and get back to being everything to smaller group of everyone, that was I think the biggest problem is NASCAR went after the bandwagon fans that came in during the boom and has been doing everything they can to bring them back, its not going to happen. They need to focus on the fans that are still here and go back to being what it was, a niche sport.

NASCAR needs to prioritize taking care of the fans that want to be here and are here, and not the ones that dont really want anything to with cars or NASCAR .

If the reports of what some of the newer drivers are getting paid is true it won’t be long before private planes and helicopter rides in and out of the track are part of history. The series is in such a state that it can’t attract a title sponsor any longer and men like Barney Visser and Chip Ganassi close teams as landing another sponsor is likely a huge ordeal.

I agree with you about Nascar taking care of its current fan base. The per race losses in fans viewing from home in 2018 versus 2017 shows Nascar does an absolute crappy job of fan retention. Nascar definitely needs to try and get some younger fans interested in the series and I think this could be done while not running off fans in longstanding.

Everything I learned about auto repair came from YouTube. Some of it actually works!

With respect to taking youngsters to the track the limited feedback has not been positive so I hear what you are saying.

Back
Top Bottom