article: How NASCAR can get fans to return and retain them

I don’t know what drives someone to enjoy this sport beyond what is in my blood.
I know what doesn’t work, as perfected by NASCAR management.

Ideally at some point a competent entity will take control of Nascar and replace the bonheads in charge.

Logano winning a championship isn’t helping the sport.
Logano winning would never happen in real world NASCAR. Logano winning a championship is a perfect example of how far the sport has lapsed.

Logano winning a championship isn’t helping the sport.
Logano winning would never happen in real world NASCAR. Logano winning a championship is a perfect example of how far the sport has lapsed.
Q: how does Logano's title differ from the others in the elimination era, or from Kyle Busch's title? Why single him out?

I agree with you about Nascar taking care of its current fan base. The per race losses in fans viewing from home in 2018 versus 2017 shows Nascar does an absolute crappy job of fan retention. Nascar definitely needs to try and get some younger fans interested in the series and I think this could be done while not running off fans in longstanding.
I agree, NASCAR needs to get younger fans now to replace all the fans that will age out, but that is going to be hard with the current corp of the younger generation.

The problem is ticket prices really with younger folks. The only things people in their 20s will throw down on for events like that are teams they grew up rooting for or music festivals. Why do you guys think minor league baseball and hockey does so well attendance wise? Because it’s a cheap reason to get drunk and stay entertained.

Most people aren’t going to drive out to some rural track and pay a ton of money to get smashed and see a bunch of cars go fast for three hours. I love it but you can go chill out at a Charlotte Knights game for a hell of a lot less than the Coke 600

I disagree. The youngsters aren’t here because overall they don’t GAF about cars. At least that’s how it is with the youngsters in my family. They don’t want to change oil. They want Lyft or Uber. The car culture is a dying demographic. Yes, they want to text and stream HIGHLIGHTS. They don’t want to sit through a 3-4 hour race if a condensed version is available.

I don't agree. I don't want to be disrespectful, but I believe that GAF'ing about cars is modeled and taught. Car culture isn't dead, spending time with youngsters is, and that must change---this isn't easy though, and I understand that.

I don’t know what drives someone to enjoy this sport beyond what is in my blood.
I know what doesn’t work, as perfected by NASCAR management.

It is almost impossible to explain. What I know is this....I cannot wait until they fire them for first practice in Fontana.....and I am there. My kid feels the same way. How did that happen? Hotwheels and I have been blessed to be the kind of Dad that wants to share this with my kid.

If the reports of what some of the newer drivers are getting paid is true it won’t be long before private planes and helicopter rides in and out of the track are part of history. The series is in such a state that it can’t attract a title sponsor any longer and men like Barney Visser and Chip Ganassi close teams as landing another sponsor is likely a huge ordeal.

I agree with you about Nascar taking care of its current fan base. The per race losses in fans viewing from home in 2018 versus 2017 shows Nascar does an absolute crappy job of fan retention. Nascar definitely needs to try and get some younger fans interested in the series and I think this could be done while not running off fans in longstanding.

....and maybe that high life should end. It is a very difficult thing for me to understand that NASCAR is hurting, and I see so much on social media about private planes, mansions, and exotic vacations. The optics are difficult to ingest.

Jesus, if they’d just quit the bull****t gimmicks.
Playoffs don’t belong in auto racing.
NASCAR isn’t going to convert people that aren’t into cars.

Dale Earnhardt converted people, I have seen the transformation take place.

There is quite a bit of room for adjustment in the Nascar expense column.
As some one recently said, " the high level of living" is not something people can relate to.
I can remember when hockey teams traveled by train from city to city and now each team has it's own plane. I remember when Jack had a team plane. Their is still a driver who has a family coach and they travel from track to track.
I still don't see the need for each driver to be able to afford his own plane, nor do I see any profession where people retire with 60 million. The idea that racing is so dangerous that these men/women deserve such compensation are long gone. The tracks, cars and personnel safety equipment have progressed to the point where they are safer than people riding on public transport.
If the teams are forced to dial back on things like drivers salary, shop personnel etc. then there are plenty of sponsors to be had and I mean in the 10 million dollar range. BUT, Nascar has to lead the way with better management of races. There is no need really to have swings out west then back east so close together that teams require extra transports.
We can have regional racing, most watch the TV version of racing so grouping the tracks for specific times in the season works. It doesn't matter if there are breaks or weeks off between races. I believe much of this can be over come by NOT having Trucks,X, and cup at the same track.
I also think the tracks can put on shows to entertain the fans and make 2 day shows, culminating with the race a good investment for those travelling large distance and with ticket prices for those 2 days around $130 with half price for kids or special family packages it would be a good holiday.

It is quite evident what is being done today, is Not working and so if Nascar did buy all the tracks they would be in a position to try these things.

I agree, NASCAR needs to get younger fans now to replace all the fans that will age out, but that is going to be hard with the current corp of the younger generation.

Understandably many people just look at the overall number of fans watching and attending races. However like you mentioned many of the current fans are aging out so young people are of great importance.

....and maybe that high life should end. It is a very difficult thing for me to understand that NASCAR is hurting, and I see so much on social media about private planes, mansions, and exotic vacations. The optics are difficult to ingest.

It would make sense that as the series contracts there would be less money floating around. What was once deemed essential for drivers may now be seen as luxuries that are out of reach. I am OK to let the market sort out what happens.

With respect to social media I think so much of it is people trying to project that they have the perfect life and you suck because you don’t. I don’t buy into any of it but I’m sure millions do.

Understandably many people just look at the overall number of fans watching and attending races. However like you mentioned many of the current fans are aging out so young people are of great importance.
It put's NASCAR in a tough spot, they need to start getting and retaining people under 50, heck, under 30 really.

another series recently in the U.S. called Global rallycross gave it a shot at heavily targeting the younger crowd (of great importance). They had TV coverage, a season sponsor Red Bull, and they raced stock appearing smaller cars of the day. VW's, Sabru's, Whatever the little Ford was called. They raced on short tracks, had short time lengths for the race, had jumps, mud and pavement like many video games of the day, no turbo button with flames shooting out the back though. They held many races in populated inner cities in the U.S. The series failed and is no longer in the U.S. and the series, what is left of it is said to restart in 2019 in Europe.

It put's NASCAR in a tough spot, they need to start getting and retaining people under 50, heck, under 30 really.

@FLRacingFan posts ratings info for Nascar and other programs a day or so after the race. The demographic breakdown for Nascar tells a story on its own but when compared to other sports it is loud and clear.

another series recently in the U.S. called Global rallycross gave it a shot at heavily targeting the younger crowd (of great importance). They had TV coverage, a season sponsor Red Bull, and they raced stock appearing smaller cars of the day. VW's, Sabru's, Whatever the little Ford was called. They raced on short tracks, had short time lengths for the race, had jumps, mud and pavement like many video games of the day, no turbo button with flames shooting out the back though. They held many races in populated inner cities in the U.S. The series failed and is no longer in the U.S. and the series, what is left of it is said to restart in 2019 in Europe.

Global RC was great but it is a really sobering story you told. IDK why GRC left but if it was because of lack of interest it doesn’t bode well for Nascar. If a series tailored to young people fails then what can a series like Nascar expect in the future?

I mean if a series specifically targeted to a younger demo fails then what lessons can Nascar learn? Does this mean that it isn’t worth chasing the younger demo cause they ain’ a comin no matter what?

I mean if a series specifically targeted to a younger demo fails then what lessons can Nascar learn? Does this mean that it isn’t worth chasing the younger demo cause they ain’ a comin no matter what?
Reported 100,000 to be at Woodstock 50 at Watkins Glenn and it is a Nascar/ISC holding. Many other tracks that ISC/Nascar, or SMI own have events for younger people. It all counts on the bottom line.

Reported 100,000 to be at Woodstock 50 at Watkins Glenn and it is a Nascar/ISC holding.

The subject at hand is Nascar racing and what it takes to improve its fortunes. You said there is no solution to adding younger fans and presumably fans of any age group. I am fine with that answer and it wraps up our conversation on this matter.

I do think that looking at what SMI and ISC are doing in order to keep a bright future would be a very interesting topic to discuss though.

You've got to know the demographics of who responded to what. If the majority of people who are saying "no stages" are over 65, well...

I mean, great read, but the data isn't deep enough to draw conclusions.

yeah I never posted this saying this is the definitive thread for a Nascar survey. Nascar has been surveying using the fan council for years. They know the demographical data of all involved, but they choose not to share their results. But yeah, it's interesting, many topics have been discussed here with the same results.

You've got to know the demographics of who responded to what. If the majority of people who are saying "no stages" are over 65, well...

I mean, great read, but the data isn't deep enough to draw conclusions.

Good point as demographically I am about as relevant as a cassette tape. It is strange as I have more time and discretionary income then at any other point in my life. I am open minded and even do big boy things like ordering my groceries on an app on my smartphone!

yeah I never posted this saying this is the definitive thread for a Nascar survey. Nascar has been surveying using the fan council for years. They know the demographical data of all involved, but they choose not to share their results. But yeah, it's interesting, many topics have been discussed here with the same results.

I don’t think it is any surprise that Nascar does not report its demographics or track attendance for that matter. You should read the charts on the TV thread sometime as they tell a story about demographics.

yeah wake me up when any racing series in the U.S. has some that are better.

I will leave the other series up to you as I am just speaking of Nascar. We know why Nascar doesn’t release demographics or attendance figures so let’s just leave it at that shall we?

saying a lot of nothing with no solution over and over, I think he's a queer chap if that is his idea of fun. # 1 on the survey is fans love racing. That says a lot.

The problem is there are fewer and fewer fans to love Nascar. The present conditions in Nascar
are NOT attracting new fans NOR are they holding the older fans. The solution is to change the series just enough that it can be supported by smaller Sponsors. Part of the problem is Nascar is trying to support itself and still make all their tracks profitable.

Good point as demographically I am about as relevant as a cassette tape. It is strange as I have more time and discretionary income then at any other point in my life. I am open minded and even do big boy things like ordering my groceries on an app on my smartphone!
Unlike that 25 year old, you and I are jaded enough to no longer be as responsive to marketing. We've responded too many times to false siren songs to sail toward them any more. Even though we have more disposable income, we're far less likely to be swayed in how we dispose of it. Better to get a dollar from a kid with $100 than nothing from geezers with $10,000.

Last edited by a moderator:
yeah wake me up when any racing series in the U.S. has some that are better.
I dunno what it means demographically but IMSA announced a few weeks ago they may have too many entries for some races this season, and may have to limit field sizes. They have a number of new teams and manufacturers at the WeatherTech level, and some track don't have pit spaces for all of them. I don't see any signs of Cup having full fields any time soon.

I dunno what it means demographically but IMSA announced a few weeks ago they may have too many entries for some races this season, and may have to limit field sizes. They have a number of new teams and manufacturers at the WeatherTech level, and some track don't have pit spaces for all of them. I don't see any signs of Cup having full fields any time soon.

IMSA, ARCA, and Nascar are owned by the same family if ya didn't know. Imsa's "full field" is 37 cars. Nascar is 38. Certain tracks they go to only have space for 40. IMSA has done well, run by Jim France who BTW is running it and Nascar now for who knows how long. But comparing the two in income or popularity or car count is another story. There isn't a racing series in the country that comes close. It's handy to hammer on for some that make a habit of those sort of things.

Last edited:
I hope it never increases in attendance or interest. Keep it as is as long as teams are able to get funding to race and nascar makes enough to sustain itself. Like it sooo much better going to a race as far as parking and hotel prices. And getting seats at tracks like Bristol. Who the hell wants more of those fad Jeff G and Dale Jr fans because that’s what you would be dealing with? No offense to real JG and DJr fans.

Lol at anyone thinking playoffs and stages have cost NASCAR fans. If you like racing, none of that changes anything. Except give you 3 races in one.
Really laughable is blaming the points. Yeah because that’s ALWAYS so intriguing when attending and watching the race. Especially when by race 10 there were only 5 contenders.

Back
Top Bottom