BEST STORY OF DAYTONA 2024

Another storyline would be Denny winning his fourth. This would tie him with Cale Yarborough for the second-most Daytona 500 victories (with The King well ahead at 7 all-time).

That would certainly pad his stats for the "best driver who never won a championship" discussion, if he indeed never wins one.
Denny is the best super speedway racer since Junior. He is always in the mix because he is so good that manufacturer alliances mean nothing--just like Junior. I think he has made the few team mates he has had so much better on super speedways because they know it is not a given that he will stick with them. They have to prove their value to him. Remember his first one....when he left Kenseth? Ruthless....and I love it. If this new Camry is slick....and it can push.....and he has 4 more team mates to play with.....Hmmmmmmm.

He lives in Ross's head so that makes him an a**hole? Okay. Works for me. Ross won't sniff 50. He isn't that good. I do like him though....until he kissed the ring. Maybe The Felon will give him the 48 after he gives up on Cutie Pie.

Ross don't give 2 sh*ts about Hambone. As far as the 50+ races won by Ross, time will tell cause he is that good.

Denny is the best super speedway racer since Junior. He is always in the mix because he is so good that manufacturer alliances mean nothing--just like Junior. I think he has made the few team mates he has had so much better on super speedways because they know it is not a given that he will stick with them. They have to prove their value to him. Remember his first one....when he left Kenseth? Ruthless....and I love it. If this new Camry is slick....and it can push.....and he has 4 more team mates to play with.....Hmmmmmmm.
The new Camry is going to be insanely good at the drafting tracks. You look at the photos of the 43 Advent Health scheme and you can clearly see how the center of the nose is so blunt, just made for pushing.

Denny Hamlin is the best super speedway racer in the field.
The last time a Hamlin or a yota has won any super speedway race at Daytona lol.

1703814264015.png

The new Camry is going to be insanely good at the drafting tracks. You look at the photos of the 43 Advent Health scheme and you can clearly see how the center of the nose is so blunt, just made for pushing.
I hope so, but--and I am no engineer here--for every gain, there is a loss somewhere.....so we shall see.

Meaningless...and you know it...and if you truly don't, I can't help you.
your bragging would probably work better with an "I think" in front of your statement. The facts prove otherwise and laughable.
The facts are who ever drives a Ford has a much better chance of winning at Daytona than this my toyota nonsense.

I’m sorry, but Harrison Burton sorta deserves the Joey Logano “stay in the Nationwide Series a bit longer” idea like Cole Custer. He’s been disappointing for 2 seasons now.

I agree, but the Wood Brothers getting win #100 in the Daytona 500 would be a great story. I just wish they had a better driver.

Among active drivers who have run the last ten Daytona races,

• Logano has the most points 339 vs Hamlin 287.
  • Wallace has the best average finish 13.7 vs Hamlin 15.4
  • Only Bowman has been running at the end of 9 races vs Hamlin and five others at 8

EDIT - that puts Hamlin 2nd, 3rd, or 2nd, depending on how you define 'best'. Overall, he sounds like an easy fantasy pick to me.

Among active drivers who have run the last ten Daytona races,

• Logano has the most points 339 vs Hamlin 287.
  • Wallace has the best average finish 13.7 vs Hamlin 15.4
  • Only Bowman has been running at the end of 9 races vs Hamlin and five others at 8
Are we really talking about finishes as a metric for super speedway proficiency? It's kind of weird....in this discipline....qualifying means nothing and average finish means nothing.....probably the most subjective in terms of performance.

your bragging would probably work better with an "I think" in front of your statement. The facts prove otherwise and laughable.
The facts are who ever drives a Ford has a much better chance of winning at Daytona than this my toyota nonsense.
When in the actual **** have you ever....I mean EVER....used "I think" in front of literally ANYTHING you have ever said---particularly in reference to MY Toyotas? You are amazing. Really.

Are we really talking about finishes as a metric for super speedway proficiency? It's kind of weird....in this discipline....qualifying means nothing and average finish means nothing.....probably the most subjective in terms of performance.
You're the one who called him the best; I'm just trotting out supporting evidence. But if not finishing position, points, or number of times running at the finish, how are you defining 'best' at a plate track?

That's optomistic as far as I am concerned. Overwhelming odds say a Ford or a Chevy will win the race.
I didn't state my second point clearly. It's not optimism, it's historical record. Hamlin has the second best points earned, third best average finish, and second best RAF over the last ten Daytona plate races.

We're not talking manufacturers, we're talking drivers. Go back to Racing Reference and look at the individual stats for each driver. Let me know which ones you think are better overall than Hambone.

I didn't state my second point clearly. It's not optimism, it's historical record. Hamlin has the second best points earned, third best average finish, and second best RAF over the last ten Daytona plate races.

We're not talking manufacturers, we're talking drivers. Go back to Racing Reference and look at the individual stats for each driver. Let me know which ones you think are better overall than Hambone.
Points and winning the race are two different things. The law of averages say a Ford or a Chevy will win.

@StandOnIt , the statement above is the one I'm discussing, not who will win. Sorry if I haven't made that clear. One of my many complaints with plate tracks is that the best driver rarely wins the race. Dale Earnhardt's record at Daytona should be sufficient evidence. I don't see much room to make a case that he wasn't the best plate race of his generation (or even all time) but he had only the one D500 win.

@StandOnIt , the statement above is the one I'm discussing, not who will win. Sorry if I haven't made that clear. One of my many complaints with plate tracks is that the best driver rarely wins the race. Dale Earnhardt's record at Daytona should be sufficient evidence. I don't see much room to make a case that he wasn't the best plate race of his generation (or even all time) but he had only the one D500 win.
I don't particularly care how it is sliced. Hamlin isn't the best plate racer in the field. Hamlin isn't driving a Ford or a Chevy.

You're the one who called him the best; I'm just trotting out supporting evidence. But if not finishing position, points, or number of times running at the finish, how are you defining 'best' at a plate track?
I say that Senior was the best ever....and I don't know what his stats are....Would you agree without looking at the stats? I mean, these things are crashfests.....How many times have we seen domination end in a wreck that is not of the leader's doing....Does the finishing order define the performance? Don't be stubborn....you know the answer.

I don't particularly care how it is sliced. Hamlin isn't the best plate racer in the field. Hamlin isn't driving a Ford or a Chevy.
Numbers....and that is changing...but you do know this.

This thread is just continuous cherry-picking of stats.

Saying Toyota is less likely to win the 500. Okay, well Toyota also has the lowest car count of the three makes.

Pulling the stats from only 2020 through 2023. Well if you go back to 2016 through 2020 then Denny and Toyota look really, really good.

Here's all that matters: Toyota has a new body that looks very promising for the drafting tracks. Denny Hamlin is in the conversation for best drafting track driver in the series. And Toyota has two more dancing partners now in JHN and Erik Jones.

I think that is what makes racing so fun. So much goes into it that the stats don't always tell the tale. Might be a great thread topic....If you could put one drive current or past in a car for the Daytona 500.....who would it be......I'd put Senior in it every damn time....and I am clueless about his stats.....because in his case, they are meaningless. In sport with so much data available, it sometimes means nothing.

This thread is just continuous cherry-picking of stats.

Saying Toyota is less likely to win the 500. Okay, well Toyota also has the lowest car count of the three makes.

Pulling the stats from only 2020 through 2023. Well if you go back to 2016 through 2020 then Denny and Toyota look really, really good.

Here's all that matters: Toyota has a new body that looks very promising for the drafting tracks. Denny Hamlin is in the conversation for best drafting track driver in the series. And Toyota has two more dancing partners now in JHN and Erik Jones.
I do mean this respectfully....about the new body.....I hope so.....God I hope so.....but who knows? While on the topic, I think that TRD's direction with the new car is as much about what is required on intermediates as it is on super speedways. WE have marginalized super speedways for a long time due to car counts....it will be interesting to see if that changes as a result of the new body and counts.

Charlie thinks he is second or third, I think He and the yotas haven't won a Daytona in 7 tries. ;)
No, he's second or third in the three metrics I mentioned. No one ahead of him in any individual metric is even close in the other two. In my opinion, being second or third in each individual rank puts him at the top over all.

Back
Top Bottom