BEST STORY OF DAYTONA 2024

I think the thing about Denny is this....He has had success on super speedways because everybody wants to run with him, and he is so good that he guarantees nothing to his manufacturer.....although he would love for them to be collectively strong because it would make life easier for him. This is why he has finished so well. This is why he is constantly at the front when you can't pass. This is why he is so fun to watch on these tracks....just like Junior. Junior was so damn good.

No, it's not beyond the stats. That's what I'm trying to get across, that the stats SUPPORT him as the best active superspeedway driver.
I hear you man....and even though the stats support my claim, I won't use them to support my claim. The beauty of this sport is that the metrics we typically use so often don't tell the story. Here's another example....I don't know--nor do I care--if the stats support the position that Kyle Larson is the best driver in NASCAR. We can all see that this is the case. Am I right?

This is true.
I believe that Ryan Blaney may be the best right now, but the statistics probably don't show that.
Hell of a point....not sure I'd want Blaney in one of MY Toyotas over Denny, but this is arguable. Great post.

This is true.
I believe that Ryan Blaney may be the best right now, but the statistics probably don't show that.
Blaney has won a Daytona more recently than Hamlin has. The yotas are racing an unproven car with a flatter nose. That's an unknown. They have two more cars in the field from Lunacy. Gragson replaces Almirola for SHR and Kez and the gang haven't been laying down during the off season. The Hendricks are always good at Daytona. Plenty of good dark horses in the field. It's shaping up to be a really good Daytona IMO.

Disappointed to see Travis Pastrana probably isn’t running the Daytona 500 in 2024. I thought he had admirable performances until the wreck at the end.

Blaney has won a Daytona more recently than Hamlin has. The yotas are racing an unproven car with a flatter nose. That's an unknown. They have two more cars in the field from Lunacy. Gragson replaces Almirola for SHR and Kez and the gang haven't been laying down during the off season. The Hendricks are always good at Daytona. Plenty of good dark horses in the field. It's shaping up to be a really good Daytona IMO.
The Fords are running an unproven car now too, did you forget?

...but da got that Roush/Yates horsepowa.......Cut my boy @StandOnIt some slack.....he was in the middle of one of his obsessive rants....."I think."
Sewing seeds of doubt in the rice burner camp is a legitimate pastime. The Mustang is called a "dark horse" for a reason. You will find out.

Sewing seeds of doubt in the rice burner camp is a legitimate pastime. The Mustang is called a "dark horse" for a reason. You will find out.
You mean "trolling" right....which I don't mind, but "sewing seeds of doubt" does sound more politically correct.....and oooooooo on the "Dark Hourse". Mysterious and very scary.

For various reasons I’d say any of Bubba, Elliott, or Blaney taking it. Could also go for Kyle Busch finally winning it after 19? tries and having the active record for most laps led in the 500 without winning one.

I agree we need a marquee winner again.

Another storyline would be Denny winning his fourth. This would tie him with Cale Yarborough for the second-most Daytona 500 victories (with The King well ahead at 7 all-time).

That would certainly pad his stats for the "best driver who never won a championship" discussion, if he indeed never wins one.
I'm aware that this is an unpopular comment but I don't consider a Daytona 500 win as prestigious as a Coke 600, Southern 500 or Bristol Night Race win with how plate racing has changed in the last 10-15 years.

Off topic....Hell of an avi!
I like mine better. Since 2007 when the yotas entered in the series with their rocket fueled Cup car, 16 years with only 3 Cup championships, they are tied with the 3 championships of the Hudson's. One of which I have which is pictured in mine.
Maybe since they have demoted sold out Joe and added a couple other owners they can win another.

I like mine better. Since 2007 when the yotas entered in the series with their rocket fueled Cup car, 16 years with only 3 Cup championships, they are tied with the 3 championships of the Hudson's. One of which I have which is pictured in mine.
Maybe since they have demoted sold out Joe and added a couple other owners they can win another.
So cool you own a Hudson. Really cool man. This sport is tough. If it was easy, why bother? I love the struggle. When WE hit, it matters.

My dream?; this year’s Daytona finds that the tech is allowing cars to really mix it up with more passing and less freight train. Of course that’s impossible with the plates and aero limitations.

Obviously I’d love for Ross to win…it would be a huge boost to the Trackhouse team and get him in the chase immediately. Freedom to race hard throughout the season.

Hambone is a POS, and as much as I despise him, I acknowledge he is a very good driver at Daytona. If the Toyotas are strong, he will certainly be among the favorites. Also agree that RFR could be the wildcard.

IMG_3564.jpeg

Confirmed (39 Entries):
- #60 RFK Racing - Ford - David Ragan
- #62 Beard Oil Racing - Chevrolet - Anthony Alfredo
- #78 Live Fast Motorsports - Chevrolet - BJ McLeod

Possible Cars:
- #13 Kaulig Racing - Chevrolet - Ty Dillon?? Austin Hill?? Josh Williams??
- #33 Richard Childress Racing - Chevrolet - Austin Hill??
- #36 Front Row Motorsports - Ford - Riley Herbst?? Cole Custer??
- #44 NYRacing - Chevrolet - Kaz Grala?? Greg Biffle??
- #50 The Money Team Racing - Chevrolet - Conor Daly?? Kaz Grala?? Marco Andretti??
- #55 MBM - Ford - JJ Yeley?? Josh Bilicki?? Joey Gase?? Timmy Hill??
- #66 MBM - Ford - JJ Yeley?? Josh Bilicki?? Joey Gase?? Timmy Hill??
- #67 23XI Racing - Toyota - Travis Pastrana?? Sheldon Creed?? Chandler Smith??
- #84 Legacy Motor Club - Toyota - Jimmie Johnson??

Hopefully 43-44 cars make the trip.

Reactions: sdj
I’m in the minority, I don’t want to see another first time winner or Daytona 500 “upset.”

The prestige is being drained away. I know Daytona has always produced upset winners, but three 500s in a row?

Ehh....Stenhouse is almost always a threat on plate tracks. It's not that big of an upset. It's pretty much the equivalent of Michael Waltrip winning the Daytona 500 or AJ Allmendinger winning a road course race.

We'd also have more cars at the end competing for a win if people stopped racing like assholes.

These drivers need to be working together as teammates more on these plate tracks.

These drivers need to be working together as teammates more on these plate tracks.

One of the stupidest things NASCAR ever did was get rid of the ability of drivers to talk to each other during the race. I thought it would cool to listen to drivers set up runs in real time and coordinate strategy. Going through spotters just adds a needless delay.

One of the stupidest things NASCAR ever did was get rid of the ability of drivers to talk to each other during the race. I thought it would cool to listen to drivers set up runs in real time and coordinate strategy. Going through spotters just adds a needless delay.

Maybe they should bring back the Tandem racing again.

What they SHOULD do is bring back the Budweiser Shootout the Saturday night before the Super Bowl at Daytona International Speedway oval. Pole winners and former Clash winners only.

Move that LA Coliseum race to the regular season and literally bring back Daytona Speedweeks.

Reactions: sdj

What they SHOULD do is bring back the Budweiser Shootout the Saturday night before the Super Bowl at Daytona International Speedway oval. Pole winners and former Clash winners only.

Move that LA Coliseum race to the regular season and literally bring back Daytona Speedweeks.

I want Speedweeks back but I don’t want the Busch Crash back.

Tandem racing was better than what we’ve got now.

The coliseum should never be a regular season race. Might as well go to Bowman Gray

Back
Top Bottom