Big changes coming

Because they aren't already trying to be at the front?

No the whole race, no. Who gives a **** about being the leader on lap 60 if there's no reason to be? Hence why when a faster car comes up behind the leader the leader usually just lets the faster car on by and picks his battles. You won't really see that anymore. It'll be a fight through the whole race now, not just the last 15 laps.

Disagree. This is going to get ratings up again. It'll draw interest, people will want to investigate, and then they'll get hooked.

I don't think these changes will cause any former fans to come back and will probably cause some current fans to leave but that is not really an issue. If these changes cause younger fans to take a look and they become fans it will be worthwhile. IDK how these changes will impact my viewership but one possibility is to just watch the last segment or do an abbreviated view of the other segments as well.

I don't think these changes will cause any former fans to come back and will probably cause some current fans to leave but that is not really an issue. If these changes cause younger fans to take a look and they become fans it will be worthwhile. IDK how these changes will impact my viewership but one possibility is to just watch the last segment or do an abbreviated view of the other segments as well.

But with that mentality why did you ever watch the entire race before? You should have just been watching the very end. Now, there will actually be MORE at stake and MORE action (which is good!!) EARLIER in the race too! All good things and good reason to actually watch the whole race and NOT just the end.

The reason I have a DVR or "on demand" is to avoid mind numbing commercials. Any 1/2 hour show is now magically 35 to 40 minutes to add more commercial ****. I aint buying into it and hate it. If nafcar is planning "more sponsors" It will destroy the sport, period. People cant stand advertising when the commercials out minute the show.. Ever watch Robin Meade on HLN news in the morning?, the 2nd 1/2 hour is 1 minute news, and 4 minutes of useless garbage advertising. I will never watch that again. Oh and NBS sucks **** and always will. **** heads!

The reason I have a DVR or "on demand" is to avoid mind numbing commercials. Any 1/2 hour show is now magically 35 to 40 minutes to add more commercial sh!t. I aint buying into it and hate it. If nafcar is planning "more sponsors" It will destroy the sport, period. People cant stand advertising when the commercials out minute the show.. Ever watch Robin Meade on HLN news in the morning?, the 2nd 1/2 hour is 1 minute news, and 4 minutes of useless garbage advertising. I will never watch that again. Oh and NBS sucks sh!t and always will. **** heads!

Where are you getting this from? It's already been said, the idea is not to ADD commercials, it's to run a good amount of them during the segment breaks that way you miss less green flag racing.

C25ChwKUQAA-lMe.jpg:large

After hearing everything g out it doesn't sound all that bad. At first I thought they were going to be stopping the race at the end of a stage which I'm not a fan of. Wins still tromp points so a driver could win in the first round and really not have to worry about these segments until the next round starts.

No the whole race, no. Who gives a sh!t about being the leader on lap 60 if there's no reason to be? Hence why when a faster car comes up behind the leader the leader usually just lets the faster car on by and picks his battles. You won't really see that anymore. It'll be a fight through the whole race now, not just the last 15 laps.
You've obviously never raced.

This is some idiotic stuff, but I think I was more put off by the chase announcement 3 years ago.

I feel the same way as the lottery championship was the worst thing for me and would be hard to outdo but I do have faith Nascar could top it some day.

You've obviously never raced.

At the local short track level the incentive to stay up front is due to how short the races are. When the race is 500 miles long you can have patience. Patience creates a climate with less drama and less pressure to run 100% every single lap of the race. This is obvious. It happens in Cup all the time that the leader backs down to second place because first place doesn't pay at the mid-way point. You don't need to lead lap 98, you need to pick and choose your battles in a Cup race. But that dilutes the product. These changes fix that problem.

If they were to quietly drop the fluffing BS debri cautions the segments will be a good trade off.

Anyone care to make a wager regarding attendance and ratings?
Brian France just shot himself in the dick.
Disagree. This is going to get ratings up again. It'll draw interest, people will want to investigate, and then they'll get hooked.
Ratings and attendance have gone down each year for the last several seasons. It's impossible to tell how they would be if these changes hadn't been made, if they'd made different changes, or if they'd reverted to the pre-Chase format.

Ratings and attendance have gone down each year for the last several seasons. It's impossible to tell how they would be if these changes hadn't been made, if they'd made different changes, or if they'd reverted to the pre-Chase format.
But it is easy to see where the sport has gone since the changes.

What is keeping you people so attached to NASCAR if you don't like it anymore? I actually got sick of the sport in the Jimmie Johnson era, say from 2006 until 2012 and I literally just stopped watching and following. Completely. I got way more into F1 at that point. If you're sick of it then step away. Maybe coming back will help you appreciate it again like it did for me.

It's lifelong attachment for me. I'm 38 and can remember watching NASCAR races for at least 34 years. Also the reality that it's still where the brightest oval track racers are drawn because it's where the big money and recognition is.

I'm a regular viewer of about half the other series you mentioned, as well as at least 10 others. I think I will bow out, as I don't want to spend my time and energy hate-watching NASCAR. Too much negativity, and I don't want to constantly bring that downer-ness into discussions with fans who prefer this or are trying to make the best of it. While I can pick out minor things I 'like' in the latest round of changes, it's all in the context of feeling like this is a big load of manure dumped on several older loads of manure atop a piece of land I used to enjoy roaming.

I agree with you and Smoke that dirt track racing is much better anyway, that's where my real passion for the sport originated and remains. There are many excellent brands of motorsports to watch for traditionalists. While I'm not a strict traditionalist, I'm much closer to that than what I'd have to be to like more of this obsessive tinkering with the basic elements of the sport by people who made it their careers, but apparently have always been bored by it and wish it were something else entirely. It's not going to stop. So I'll step away for a year and see where that leaves me in 2018.

It's lifelong attachment for me. I'm 38 and can remember watching NASCAR races for at least 34 years. Also the reality that it's still where the brightest oval track racers are drawn because it's where the big money and recognition is.

I'm a regular viewer of about half the other series you mentioned, as well as at least 10 others. I think I will bow out, as I don't want to spend my time and energy hate-watching NASCAR. Too much negativity, and I don't want to constantly bring that downer-ness into discussions with fans who prefer this or are trying to make the best of it. While I can pick out minor things I 'like' in the latest round of changes, it's all in the context of feeling like this is a big load of manure dumped on several older loads of manure atop a piece of land I used to enjoy roaming.

I agree with you and Smoke that dirt track racing is much better anyway, that's where my real passion for the sport originated and remains. There are many excellent brands of motorsports to watch for traditionalists. While I'm not a strict traditionalist, I'm much closer to that than what I'd have to be to like more of this obsessive tinkering with the basic elements of the sport by people who made it their careers, but apparently have always been bored by it and wish it were something else entirely. It's not going to stop. So I'll step away for a year and see where that leaves me in 2018.

I genuinely think that sounds like a good plan and look forward to your re-evaluation of the sport at a later date.

I watch several forms of Motorsports. I've watched NASCAR since 94' religiously. It sucks, but I might have to step away depending on how obnoxious the first few of these races are.

I am going to see how things play out and see what the action is like and what the unintended consequences are. The consensus seems to be that the drivers just lollygag until there are a few laps to go and this format will make them race like raped apes from the drop of the green. One scenario I can see is nothing much changes because the drivers are smart and realize it is stupid to try and push a car that is not handling the best and make a mistake that ends your day early. Another scenario is that a few drivers get very stupid and very aggressive very early and cause accidents that damage several cars. I will be interested to see how it all plays out because I don't believe the drivers are sandbagging at present.

I'm not going to watch anything until I'm at LVMS in March. If it's silly, like I already suspect, I'll be done after Fontana.
I'm already texting with my peeps and everyone else is talking NHRA.

I'm not going to watch anything until I'm at LVMS in March. If it's silly, like I already suspect, I'll be done after Fontana.
I'm already texting with my peeps and everyone else is talking NHRA.

I've never been able to get into NHRA, but don't they have a Chase?

Unfortunately, NASCAR and its media has had that same kind of cavalier attitude towards their fans the last 10-15 years. If you constantly tell people "if you don't like it, don't watch", they'll eventually take your advice.

And millions of fans have already sung "Take your series and shove it I ain't watchin' you no more." If Nascar had not been so arrogant and shortsighted to begin with there would be no need for the chase or this day.

While watching the press conference, one thing kind of sticks out, the amount of times that "this is what the fans wanted" or "we are doing this for the fans" or" this is what the fans have been asking for" was used, why I mentioned that, if this new idea fails, NASCAR can come back and blame us the fans, well, you the fans said, this is what you wanted................

But it is easy to see where the sport has gone since the changes.
How do you know it wouldn't have gone there anyway? How do you know it wouldn't have gone down farther and faster without them?

I'm in favor of only a few of the changes in the last 15 years, but it's impossible to tell the what would have happened to attendance and viewership without them.

While watching the press conference, one thing kind of sticks out, the amount of times that "this is what the fans wanted" or "we are doing this for the fans" or" this is what the fans have been asking for" was used, why I mentioned that, if this new idea fails, NASCAR can come back and blame us the fans, well, you the fans said, this is what you wanted................
And drivers like Brad try to sell this plate of feces.

How do you know it wouldn't have gone there anyway? How do you know it wouldn't have gone down farther and faster without them?

I'm in favor of only a few of the changes in the last 15 years, but it's impossible to tell the what would have happened to attendance and viewership with or without them.
I don't. I only know what happened since Brian took over.

The faster NASCAR tanks, the happier I'll be.
Maybe someone with foresight will create another series.
As it is now, I look forward to the demise of the sport. I'll do my part by not viewing, not buying anymore seats and not buying anymore hats and shirts.

But with that mentality why did you ever watch the entire race before? You should have just been watching the very end. Now, there will actually be MORE at stake and MORE action (which is good!!) EARLIER in the race too! All good things and good reason to actually watch the whole race and NOT just the end.

I will definitely check out the early segments initially in order to see what is happening. I do think there will be some changes but I still think you will see drivers pulling over to let faster cars by and most of the cars trying to save there stuff for the final segment. After all what good is it trying to execute high risk/dangerous moves if it will end your day? You would be trying to win a battle at great risk of losing the war. The more I think about this the more I think things won't change that much on track except there will be 2 built in cautions which may just take the place of 2 bogus cautions.

Why did I watch entire races for many years? There were lots of reasons as you never knew who would blow up, overheat, boil their brakes, get the wrong stagger on tires, the cars looked great, the fantastic southeastern flavor, the more enjoyable tracks................and on and on...........

Back
Top Bottom