BREAKING: Majority owners explore sale of NASCAR

Yeah careful with what you want to happen here... New ownership could really CHANGE the NASCAR you see now...

Doesn’t mean it would be for the best...

So they're selling the naming rights, big deal. In the mean time ISC keeps the valuable part, real estate.

So they're selling the naming rights, big deal. In the mean time ISC keeps the valuable part, real estate.

You really believe the plots of land these tracks own are the most desirable part of the sport? That's pennies compared to the TV packages and sponsorship rights.

Just off-hand...in my neck of the woods...Loudon and Pocono are in the boonies, Dover probably has decent value, Bristol/Martinsville in *small* towns.

You really believe the plots of land these tracks own are the most desirable part of the sport? That's pennies compared to the TV packages and sponsorship rights.

Just off-hand...in my neck of the woods...Loudon and Pocono are in the boonies, Dover probably has decent value, Bristol/Martinsville in *small* towns.
Lol yeah, PIR isnt really sitting on a plot of land that is sought after, or would be.

"Bob Caporale, chairman of Game Plan, which advises on buying and selling sports teams but has been involved in only one deal in NASCAR, said he thinks that a new structure in NASCAR could help unlock value. He even suggested a model similar to stick-and-ball leagues, where the teams own the league itself.

“What’s struck me as unique about NASCAR when compared to the pro sports leagues is that there’s no ownership between NASCAR and the teams — it would seem that it would make a lot of sense,” Caporale said. “There could be a lot of value created in a new structure.”

They only own one of the tracks you listed. BTW, naming rights and TV contracts can vanish, real estate can't vanish.

this is not good for the Brian blamers #shattered

NASCAR does not comment on its ownership structure, but according to court documents in various lawsuits, it is co-owned by Jim France, the one surviving son of NASCAR founder Bill France Sr., and Lesa France Kennedy, the granddaughter of France Sr. and daughter of Bill France Jr.

http://www.espn.com/auto/story/_/id/23435578/france-family-exploring-sale-nascar

NASCAR does not comment on its ownership structure, but according to court documents in various lawsuits, it is co-owned by Jim France, the one surviving son of NASCAR founder Bill France Sr., and Lesa France Kennedy, the granddaughter of France Sr. and daughter of Bill France Jr.

http://www.espn.com/auto/story/_/id/23435578/france-family-exploring-sale-nascar
That has been known around here for awhile I believe but people still blame Brian, habit I guess.

Everyone probably thinks a new owner will just walk in and start smoking a pack of Winston cigarettes and eliminate the playoffs...

They only own one of the tracks you listed. BTW, naming rights and TV contracts can vanish, real estate can't vanish.

Lol. I've got quite a few bridges I'd like to sell to you...because the river can't vanish!

Any ownership group buying an asset declining in value will seek a discount, unless demand for that asset from competing interests drives up the price. This may be nothing more than an opening move to gain feedback from potential buyers. Still, I don’t doubt the France family may be ready to cash out the business. All signs point to declining interest. Ford will stop selling most cars (other than the Mustang), which creates a vague ROI for continued support for racing. TV and attendance trends continue to generally slide downward.

If someone does buy NASCAR do you really see them investing heavily into the sport, or finding ways to increase gimmicks?

Not sure how the deal would be done for a collective buyout by the team and track owners, but that would be interesting. Very risky, yes, but without NASCAR they stand to lose a LOT...perhaps most everything.

I agree that more than likely it will be a mega-media conglomerate. I think that's very bad. Ever since ratings started to tank I feel like the TV broadcast companies have been more involved in many of the "gimmicks" than we think. It's not NASCAR that wants to attract young viewers- it's Fox/NBC that wants them so they can make more money...but it's the perception that "NASCAR" is calling the shots.

In an ideal world NASCAR would be bought by someone involved in racing but unfortunately the sport is too big for that. It will be purchased by a large powerful company. And as Andy said a media company makes the most sense.

The 2001 TV contract really, REALLY changed the face of NASCAR! And it hasn't been for the better. Having TV gain full control of the sport would be a disaster.

I was genuinely excited to hear about this and then read through the thread taking into account those that know more than I do about stuff like this and I have to ask.... could it get any worse than now? Maybe maybe not, I really think TV has had an influence on some of the changes many of us don’t care for so I’ll ask too, if a media company buys the sport does that end well? Not sure I’d bet on it. However, FLRacing fan said Liberty Media has done a good job thus far with F1 and I can’t help but agree I’ve actually come around on the Sky Sports Feed shown on ESPN. So maybe our weekly coverage gets better. I don’t know this can go many ways. And I don’t much about the RTA, I’m assuming they can block this deal, or at the very worst negotiate a sweet deal for themselves?

“What’s struck me as unique about NASCAR when compared to the pro sports leagues is that there’s no ownership between NASCAR and the teams — it would seem that it would make a lot of sense,” Caporale said.
There's also no ownership or contractual agreements between the teams and the venues.

There's also no ownership or contractual agreements between the teams and the venues.
and that means the teams aren't obligated to do the deal, they could band together and start their own series. Indycar tried it. Could end up being a real cluster as long as we are spreading rumors around

Yes, it has been common knowledge since at least last year, and I'm not sure how it is supposed to invalidate blame or criticism of Brian's actions as CEO and chairman.
It's called barking up the wrong tree by some. ;)He is no deal maker

This seems to be falling in line with the "re-set" of the sport in 2020 that I've been mentioning, in regards to a new sponsorship model and so forth. I think they're going to work towards everyone involved in the sport (NASCAR itself, the teams, the track owners, the televising networks, etc.) taking more of an ownership of it to try and get everyone on the same deck.

Yes, it has been common knowledge since at least last year, and I'm not sure how it is supposed to invalidate blame or criticism of Brian's actions as CEO and chairman.
:idunno:

Has anyone heard from Brian since he ran off stage handing the trophy to Truex on his way?
Operating Nascar was the bone the family threw to him because he wasn't a named owner in the business. Later Brian had to sell his shares (he purchased) to meet family financial oblations.
I think the owners have hired people to try to right the ship while major decisions are being made.
No doubt eventually they will also sell off the tracks.
In the meantime, I think the RTA will take over management until such time as they can have
the sport run like all other sport franchises.

Lots of people have said that the teams should purchase NASCAR and run it like other major sports where the teams own the sport. In my opinion, that's a terrible idea.

First, the disparity between the "haves and the have nots" in NASCAR is already much greater than other sports. This would only increase as the JGR's and Hendrick's of the sport remove any type of handicap the smaller teams have (more than just taking back their superior air guns).
Second, to protect their investment, teams would make it near-impossible to start a new team. In racing, teams come and go on an annual basis...and that's how it needs to be so there's business competition.

Not only do I think it's a bad idea...but I believe it's impossible. NASCAR is too big to be purchased by the teams. If teams could buy the multi-billion dollar NASCAR they wouldn't bitch about how there isn't a spending cap and wouldn't have formed a race team alliance to get cheaper hotel rooms for their road crews.

Back
Top Bottom