Bristol Dirt Race

Was there for Larson’s performance at Eldora, jaw hit the floor. Blew a tire, went to the tail end of the lead lap, and still came back to win.

If I were holding the race...

Double file restart only on the Green flag (caution fests ruin dirt racing bad)

250 laps (80-80-90)

Qualifying (Heats are dumb bc so many make the feature)
Close- 75-75-100

I am going by the obvious. They aren't going to go with low clearance and aero. The tire whatever it is is going to be a soft one so there are either going to be a lot of pitting under green or a lot of breaks for tire changes. Who knows they might run heats and features the same as they did with the trucks at Eldora.

Let the games begin. The trucks stages are at 40, 90, and ends at lap140

Yeah, looks like they will simplify after qualifying and run the whole field at once. I think it is going to be caution filled until they clear out the backmarkers :idunno:
Could be, I know a 250 lap dirt race is gonna be a long one. I hope some of the teams that have room will throw in a dirt ringer like we use to do on the road courses before the Cup regulars got good at it.

I wonder how much they're going to have into making this place into a dirt track, then changing it back

What a waste of money.
Tickets sold out in like half an hour so survey says...

tumblr_mby0uuATEu1rwkx4n.gif

A "socially distanced" sell out. Honestly that might be the worst thing for them. They can't cash in on the high ticket sales for the first year when it's new.

I wonder how much they're going to have into making this place into a dirt track, then changing it back
Tickets sold out in like half an hour so survey says...

tumblr_mby0uuATEu1rwkx4n.gif
A "socially distanced" sell out. Honestly that might be the worst thing for them. They can't cash in on the high ticket sales for the first year when it's new.
Can we take up a collection to get these super fans some crying towels?

Could be, I know a 250 lap dirt race is gonna be a long one. I hope some of the teams that have room will throw in a dirt ringer like we use to do on the road courses before the Cup regulars got good at it.
250 laps is going to be a long race, especially if the sun is out most of the day. And they're running the truck race the night before, not much prep time.

So in a world where they are trying to save money, Bruton spends more to change the track twice, car owners spend more to change up the car to race on dirt and they are still limited to the number of fans. Sounds to me Nascar hasn't changed, say one thing and do another.

So in a world where they are trying to save money, Bruton spends more to change the track twice, car owners spend more to change up the car to race on dirt and they are still limited to the number of fans. Sounds to me Nascar hasn't changed, say one thing and do another.
It isn't the only race on the track, the dirt nationals are the week before. You will probably make your money back...no wait.

Like many owners have said "I can't afford for you to same me anymore money"

Reactions: Pat
Exactly what I have been saying since the day it was announced. I also think the length of the race will expose the fact that these cars aren't really optimized for dirt racing. I know in the ARCA races on dirt we would see things break that didn't break anywhere else.

Spend money to make money.

Its amazing that people always try to find a negative about a positive. What the car owners will have to spend adding a few bars and deflectors is minuscule and Bruton Smith doesnt need any help spending his money. NASCAR has changed tremendously on keeping costs down and working with the Teams to find other ways. What do you think the next gen car is for? It will save teams millions over its lifespan.

Business 101: reduce expenses with the same income/investment = make more profit, more appealing to new investors/sponsors. NOTE: reducing expenses doesn't have to be done because it is a hardship. It is usually done to increase profits

Business 101: reduce expenses with the same income/investment = make more profit, more appealing to new investors/sponsors. NOTE: reducing expenses doesn't have to be done because it is a hardship. It is usually done to increase profits
Exactly and I think its evident that NASCAR has made positive changes to all 3 series as the number of teams coming in to the sport continues to increase. The Illmore engine was a MAJOR cost cutter for the Truck series, the flang fit composite bodies on the Xfinity cars etc... etc...

Exactly what I have been saying since the day it was announced. I also think the length of the race will expose the fact that these cars aren't really optimized for dirt racing. I know in the ARCA races on dirt we would see things break that didn't break anywhere else.
It’s likely that a few of the people working on Bristol Cup cars have been in the pits at a dirt race.

Your continuous unflinching negativity is noted.

So in a world where they are trying to save money, Bruton spends more to change the track twice,
Uh, wasn't this Bruton's idea? Apparently the money wasn't his concern. If it wasn't his, there's no reason it should be ours.

I don't see anyone forcing the unchartered teams to participate, but I'll bet they're there.

This thread is deteriorating like the surface of a clay racetrack 3/4 of the way through a 40 car 200 lap NASCAR Cup race.

Fitted with the shortest available pushrods, these fast cars weigh about 700 pounds less than 3 times the weight of the 24 extremely fast sprint cars that run 50 lap mains on the same surface.

Personally, I can’t wait.
1611885847670.jpeg

They did a 250 lap modified race at Loudon for a few years- by far the longest asphalt modified race ever done before. That first event had 10 months of quotes that I read in this thread everyday-

"the cars aren't going to be reliable"
"it's going to be a cautionfest"
"no teams are going to want to run"
"the racing is going to suck"

33 cars entered, they did 250 laps with only 5 or 6 cautions, had a lead lap pass on the final lap, switched the lead as much as the modifieds are famous for at Loudon, and only one or two cars dropped out due to mechanical issues.

Personally I have my doubts about this race and the track surface holding up for 250 laps of competitive racing with 40 cars. But I'll wait on my judgements.

I'm looking forward to this race for whatever it brings. I like dirt racing, and I liked the trucks at Eldora. I'm not sure if Bristol for 250 laps is gonna put on the best show ever, but I know that no matter what happens I will watch and I will be entertained.

As far as the money wasted? I'm pretty sure Bruton Smith is a billionaire, so I'm sure not gonna worry about the way he's spending his money. Not my concern and doesn't affect me in the slightest. The modifications to the cars are very mild and will not be some big strain on the teams either. That's a non-issue. Just sit back and enjoy the show. That's the point.

Back
Top Bottom