Cable cutters, rejoice

I’ve been wanting Nat Geo for a long time but it wasn’t in my package.
You are gonna love Nat Geo.There's one show that I tried to never miss. Drain the ocean or something like that. Ship wrecks both ancient and contemporary along with ancient cities that have slipped beneath the waves.

You are gonna love Nat Geo.There's one show that I tried to never miss. Drain the ocean or something like that. Ship wrecks both ancient and contemporary along with ancient cities that have slipped beneath the waves.

Yes! I’ve been watching that show. Love it.
Nat Geo is awesome.

But the creatives swore that it was legal.

Seriously though, I think we all knew there was no way it was legal and that it was only a matter of time before it went away.
Yeah, that's why I never bothered with it. It was so blatantly illegal. Surprising it lasted as long as it did.

Well, SET TV looks like it's down and out. Fun while it lasted :(
No fear, there are plenty of alternatives. A simple search of IPTV services will yield many working results. Last week, I was watching on SetTV an afternoon baseball game between the Pirates/Cubs. Later that evening, when tuning in to watch something else, the service was no longer available. I went online and read the news. My $20/month package was lost. About an hour later, I was up and running on another service that runs $15/month. Still all of the same live channels, premium movie channels, every single regional sports network, NFL, NBA, MLB, NHL packages, PPV, On Demand movies, etc..... At some point this service will probably go down as well. Then, it'll be time to move on to the next service.

I was at the half way point of my paid monthly service of $20 when SetTV went down causing me to lose $10 on my pre-paid investment. Before my switch to SetTV my monthly satellite bill was north of $150/month. I spent 3-4 months using the SetTV service. My savings was over $400 during that time. Not a bad investment at all. These services are best to be purchased on a monthly basis to avoid any kind of loss on investment.

Even if you exclude IPTV services, there are a ton of options out there to explore for online streaming of your programming. My suggestion would be Playstation Vue as an alternative. Their channel lineup is extensive and their cost is low. Bottom line, If you've got the bandwidth to stream, you're making the wrong choice by going with cable/satellite.

My service is.....
  • 300 Mbps Download
  • 20 Mbps Upload
  • 2 TB Monthly Data Allowance
That level allows for me to stream on multiple feeds and still not affect the bandwidth of my son's online gaming experience. I know because, believe me, I'd hear about it. In my experience with streaming I've found that we normally stream about 750GB/month in our household. That's far below our data limit.

As far as SetTV goes, a good look at what is going on with them can be read here and even this is speculation ==> https://torrentfreak.com/set-tv-suddenly-goes-offline-but-is-the-ace-lawsuit-to-blame-180611/

I went to Burger King earlier and noticed that on the one TV they had, they were using a Roku and had the Sling tv app downloaded. Apparently even Fast Food chains who only have one, maybe two tv's find it cheaper to use a streaming service rather than using an actual cable company.

I have been with directv for many years I'm just scared to cut the Cord. I don't wanna lose football and NASCAR.

Seems like a lot of shuffling.
What’s wrong with cable? I like to get all of my stuff in one spot. Always there (occasionally have to replace the box but the place is right down the street,) lots of channels, convenient...
I hated TWC but Spectrum took over and things are a lot better...I’m happy with cable again.

Ok so what's the best streaming service now that Set tv is history?
I PM'd you what I'm currently using. There are so many IPTV's out there to choose from. I did like SetTV's interface but what they provided is readily available. I still get absolutely everything that is broadcast as I did before. Only, I'm now paying $15/month. Calculated savings are now over $1000 since my switch from satellite earlier this year.

Seems like a lot of shuffling.
What’s wrong with cable? I like to get all of my stuff in one spot. Always there (occasionally have to replace the box but the place is right down the street,) lots of channels, convenient...
I hated TWC but Spectrum took over and things are a lot better...I’m happy with cable again.
What's wrong with cable? $140/Month that's what.

Not sure if any of you subscribe to Vue but if you do check out your guide this morning. Many subscribers received a free upgrade to their premier package. Includes their sports channels, movie channels, etc..... Checked out or subscription, we got it. Not sure how long it lasts. I read that it should be through the end of the year. You won't get an announcement. You just have to look at your guide.

Cox cable plays that game, a weekend of ''free'' premium channels hoping to hook you into upgrading. Fios does the same.

Cox cable plays that game, a weekend of ''free'' premium channels hoping to hook you into upgrading. Fios does the same.
Nothing wrong with that if it's not costing any more. I usually stock up on DVR'd movies during those previews never upgrading after they're done. What you call a 'game' is probably great business practice as it's bound to snag some new subscriptions.

Got it ...delivered Sunday.
Awesome!

I bought two Toshiba 32" firetv editions last Friday. They are for our RV but during the winter months they'll be hanging on the mancave wall. They were delivered yesterday afternoon. I got them all set up last night, as far as apps and the like. I was a little hesitant not knowing for sure that the they were going to be unlocked like the firesticks are. Turns out that they are exactly the same. Thinking of grabbing a couple more while they're so cheap. Trying to finish off the mancave. Two more would complete what I am trying to do. Well, that and the hardware to hang them. I've been running four & five televisions during the later part of the Nascar and beginning the the NFL seasons. My internet connection is fast enough to run 5 simultaneous feeds without buffering. My setup is currently temporary with a random set of smaller tv's. Looking to get a more permanent/uniform setup.

Awesome!

I bought two Toshiba 32" firetv editions last Friday. They are for our RV but during the winter months they'll be hanging on the mancave wall. They were delivered yesterday afternoon. I got them all set up last night, as far as apps and the like. I was a little hesitant not knowing for sure that the they were going to be unlocked like the firesticks are. Turns out that they are exactly the same. Thinking of grabbing a couple more while they're so cheap. Trying to finish off the mancave. Two more would complete what I am trying to do. Well, that and the hardware to hang them. I've been running four & five televisions during the later part of the Nascar and beginning the the NFL seasons. My internet connection is fast enough to run 5 simultaneous feeds without buffering. My setup is currently temporary with a random set of smaller tv's. Looking to get a more permanent/uniform setup.
What do you have for internet speed?

Varies throughout the day but here's a snapshot of a speed test over my WiFi...

bf096219c5907c3cb596438b1a5c2d95.jpg

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Varies throughout the day but here's a snapshot of a speed test over my WiFi...

bf096219c5907c3cb596438b1a5c2d95.jpg

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
Mine varies through the day too, guess it depends on how many people are using high speed during the day in the neighborhood, at least that's what I have been told, not sure that is true.

If this was a 240 I'd go for it, but the picture quality isn't that great, didn't know they still made 720s?
Don't get to hung up on numbers. The picture quality is just fine. I just purchased two additional this morning shortly after telling you about my plans. There are certainly better televisions out there but not for the price. These are going to make a nice addition to the mancave.

Don't get to hung up on numbers. The picture quality is just fine. I just purchased two additional this morning shortly after telling you about my plans. There are certainly better televisions out there but not for the price. These are going to make a nice addition to the mancave.
I ordered this one on black Friday as an early Christmas present for a family going through some tough times. A damn good buy in anybody's book. It should be here tomorrow.

Polaroid 32" Class HDTV LED TV (720P) $79.99

I ordered this one on black Friday as an early Christmas present for a family going through some tough times. A damn good buy in anybody's book. It should be here tomorrow.

Polaroid 32" Class HDTV LED TV (720P) $79.99
Yep, good buy!

The one I got had the fire stick basically built in. It's a fire TV. I use the fire stick for streaming because it runs the Android operating system. Easily manipulated for other programming possibilities. Roku's aren't as used friendly when it comes to programming. I have two of these new TV's set up right now testing out the streaming. They are working great. I just ordered two more this morning. They should be here by next Monday. Going to order 4 wall mounts tomorrow. I found two different models for the wall mount. Both are very inexpensive. I can post links tomorrow if you're interested.

So...got my new Firestick the other day, finally got around to messing with it Tuesday night, can't even get the damn thing to turn on. Went to Youtube watched a bunch of troubleshooting videos, but still nothing. Anyone else have this problem?

Spectrum TV & Internetz=89.99 no contract. 200MB download.
Mine is also rated @ 200Mbps but those speeds aren't possible unless I am hooked directly to the modem. I can normally achieve 75% of that level over my 5G Wifi connection.

So...got my new Firestick the other day, finally got around to messing with it Tuesday night, can't even get the damn thing to turn on. Went to Youtube watched a bunch of troubleshooting videos, but still nothing. Anyone else have this problem?
I've got a combo of five fire sticks and fire tv boxes. I've never had that issue.

There are two ways to get power to your firestick, a USB connection off the back/side of your television or through the AC adapter provided with the stick. If you are using a USB connection off of the back of the TV, it's possible that the TV is not outputting the power necessary to power the firestick properly. I'd use the AC adapter to get the power. Also, probably obvious but still easily overlooked, make sure that you have your television set to the proper HDMI source. I have televisions with multiple HDMI connections and some with just a single connection. I've made the mistake many times of having my television set at the wrong source.

If all of these things check out and you're still having problems, print a return label from your Amazon order screen for that stick and send it back. They'll replace it as soon as they see the tracking number scanned @ the shipment location. Amazon is great with their return policy. I've used it for items less than $10 and items over $500. No questions asked and received the new item immediately.

Back
Top Bottom