Can We Please Get Talladega off the schedule?

Whenever I watch something new I try and give it a fair chance but if I don't like it I move onto something else. I can't imagine watching a 12 episode series and telling all my friends how much it sucked after each installment. I don't care for plate racing so I only watch a little of it in order to get an idea of what is going on.

It is OK with me if people want to watch a program and complain about it because no one is forcing me to read or respond to the complaints.

It's an iconic track, no way do they take it off the schedule. It deserves two races. I was amazed and frustrated by the SHR cars. They stuck together like glue and I think that was the difference. It made for a somewhat boring race, but what an awesome display of teamwork. I was bored and fascinated at the same time.

He sure did and got the win for his patience. I think it was patience, maybe he was only better than the 14. #4 and 41 were not a factor the last lap.
Luck
It's an iconic track, no way do they take it off the schedule. It deserves two races. I was amazed and frustrated by the SHR cars. They stuck together like glue and I think that was the difference. It made for a somewhat boring race, but what an awesome display of teamwork. I was bored and fascinated at the same time.
It deserves 2 because it is iconic, having crappy racing there for the past 30 years doesn't matter?
Everyone is entitled to their own opinion.
That high attendance does not equate to good racing, what it equates to is the wow factor in anticipation of that 22 car pile up that usually occurs with 20 to go.

Luck

It deserves 2 because it is iconic, having crappy racing there for the past 30 years doesn't matter?

That high attendance does not equate to good racing, what it equates to is the wow factor in anticipation of that 22 car pile up that usually occurs with 20 to go.

Theres a thing on the remote with a channel up and down button or on , off. Simple

Why do you say that?

There are only four plate races a year.

Get the same complaints every single year. The Daytona 500, Coke 400, Spring and Fall Dega races are a tradition and are right where they need to be in the schedule. Every quarter of the season there is one plate race. Its perfectly placed on the schedule.

Its the same bs complaints every year, I was able to watch this weekend, but best believe I'm watching the replay.

Talladega is right where it needs to be. The constant belly aching of plate tracks is quite mind numbing.

Why do you say that?

Because it's the same arguments from the same people the same 4 weekends of the year...every year...

I don't even participate on the forums in these discussions- my opinion isn't going to change your opinion and vice-versa.

Because it's the same arguments from the same people the same 4 weekends of the year...every year...

I don't even participate on the forums in these discussions- my opinion isn't going to change your opinion and vice-versa.
True, but it just amazes me how people can like a race that 9 out of 10 times involves not getting torn up in a 25 car wreck to, determine where you finish.

That Talladega race was a microcosm of what NASCAR has become. Over-engineered, crab-walking, low-riding, bumper-dragging, pieces of crap that produce single-file, boring, racing. It's the same at every track, the cars are the problem.

Talladega should be on a schedule as long as there is a NASCAR Series. I myself wasnt really entertained with yesterday's race, it lost my interest after the first stage or so. hey thats what the NFL and Redzone are for. So I followed on here lurking and then on Twitter. Bet your ass with 30 to go I flicked over from Bears vs Dolphins and watched Dega. It's Dega! It takes steel balls to win there, I always felt it was a Man's Track. Some on here will bitch about anything. So say you take Dega off the schedule demolish it...... what track you put back on? New Hampshire...... that place sucks. Iowa....... overrated. Seriously what good ideas you have about ditching Dega I could shoot everyone on down. I get if some of you hate plate racing but some of us here find it bad ass 4 times a year and prefer to keep it as is. I really hope to attend a race here in the next few years, its on my bucket list. Dega is an icon, any replacement any of you can come up with are terrible terrible takes.

I get if some of you hate plate racing but some of us here find it bad ass 4 times a year and prefer to keep it as is.

Well that definitely isn't happening. Just as some of us would prefer to keep the other 32 race weekends generally as they are, and that is definitely not happening either. Change is coming next year for both. While the nuances of the 2019 package are up for debate, the spacer with ~550 HP and some more drag will race somewhat differently than current plate racing.

There may be one or two others here who hate plate racing as much as me, but I am confident nobody hates it more.

Well that definitely isn't happening. Just as some of us would prefer to keep the other 32 race weekends generally as they are, and that is definitely not happening either. Change is coming next year for both. While the nuances of the 2019 package are up for debate, the spacer with ~550 HP and some more drag will race somewhat differently than current plate racing.

There may be one or two others here who hate plate racing as much as me, but I am confident nobody hates it more.
I meant to keep Daytona and Dega on the schedule with 2 races a piece. I know everything is changing next year, that's a whole different topic that I am not on board with.

I meant to keep Daytona and Dega on the schedule with 2 races a piece. I know everything is changing next year, that's a whole different topic that I am not on board with.

Gotcha. My point is that in all the talk about the 2019 package, the subject of the changes coming to the big tracks after the 500 has not been talked about much.

Suggestions of removing iconic venues like Daytona and Talladega from the schedule are ludicrous. They could hold races in the parking lot of Daytona, and it would still be one of the most notable events on the schedule because it is Daytona. I would be in favor of just about any changes that would create a different style of racing there.

I think people have romanticized plate racing to the point where if there's not a Big One (or more) or they're not running around six-wide for three hours then it was a disappointment.

I only watched the last fifty laps or so yesterday but it was maybe the most tolerable plate racing in a while with the lack of crapshoot buffoonery and actual strategic racing. The field certainly tried to make a move on SHR late in the race before Bowman's wreck but simply couldn't organize well enough to make it work.

l'll say what i say every year. Plate racing is dangerous and we want an element of danger with racing...there has to be. Our heroes need to be in danger. If there is no risk, wheres the excitement? You want the guys and gals to be running flat out and it someone puts a block on them, you wantg them to be thinking...if I dont lift, will I crash? or will they crash?

We obviously dont want our heroes to put at risk too much, but an element needs to be there.

I LIIKE thast they do 200 mphs for almost what...5-6 hrs.

Otherwise, lets just put padded walls up and race dinkycars.

Luck

This was only my 29th year of watching, but even with that small sample size I can confidently assert that it's not all crappy racing, including yesterday. We can discuss the crap shoot factor and weather or not it should be a playoff race, but the racing there is riveting much of the time. I'm not a huge fan of plate racing because I think it levels the field too much and cancels out the reward of the hard work that these guys put into this stuff (and in the past been too dangerous), but to say that the last 30 years of racing has been crappy is just not accurate.

Not very hard to read the summation of the race, watch video, pretty easy to sum up that race in two words...it sucked!
For someone who hates it you sure keep up with it a lot. You see no matter what happened, you would say it sucked. Crashes, last lap side by side photo finish, 4 car break away. Sorry you are unhappy, not really

This was only my 29th year of watching, but even with that small sample size I can confidently assert that it's not all crappy racing, including yesterday. We can discuss the crap shoot factor and weather or not it should be a playoff race, but the racing there is riveting much of the time. I'm not a huge fan of plate racing because I think it levels the field too much and cancels out the reward of the hard work that these guys put into this stuff (and in the past been too dangerous), but to say that the last 30 years of racing has been crappy is just not accurate.

I agree, but the hard work showed at the track more than I have ever seen it in my long history of following Nascar. I have never seen four cars from the same team that good. That took a lot of hard work to accomplish that. Almirola said they have been trying to beat the Penske's at the super speedways for a long time. He said they have a crew that does nothing but work full time on Super speedway cars.

For someone who hates it you sure keep up with it a lot. You see no matter what happened, you would say it sucked. Crashes, last lap side by side photo finish, 4 car break away. Sorry you are unhappy, not really
Plate races suck, they have since they started.

Plate races suck, they have since they started.
No. no they dont and the Majority of people would agree with me, not you. 1988 Allison vs Allison, Harvick - Martin, Trevor Bayne, Wood Brothers and I can list tons more that are Classics. Earnhardt rolling the feild from 18th to first in a few laps at Talladega etc....

No. no they dont and the Majority of people would agree with me, not you. 1988 Allison vs Allison, Harvick - Martin, Trevor Bayne, Wood Brothers and I can list tons more that are Classics. Earnhardt rolling the feild from 18th to first in a few laps at Talladega etc....
How about you post a poll, I have seen a lot of people here say they don't like them.

I can see why the casuals enjoy the 200 MPH pack racing chess game, but as a hardcore race fan, it gets pretty old. 4 times a year is fine though.

Anyone else see the irony in this race? Two years ago the JGR team ran single file in the back so they wouldn't wreck. After that we got stage racing. This year we get the same thing but the SHR cars did it out front. Now what is NASCAR going to do?
Change the downforce rules again so JJ can race again. :sarcasm:
Not asking it to be removed, just don't have it in the playoffs. It's a crap shoot with no skill required and should never dictate who gets blocked from winning the championship. Keep it as entertainment.
I can see why the casuals enjoy the 200 MPH pack racing chess game, but as a hardcore race fan, it gets pretty old. 4 times a year is fine though.
BUT not a part of the playoffs.
Right like a poll here is scientific lol.
It's Not..................... :eek:

Who said it had to be? A poll would determine exactly how many people despise it, proving you're in the minority as far liking playe racing.
little late ya think
Events at Daytona International Speedway and Talladega Superspeedway also will be contested without restrictor plates next season for the first time since 1987.

that was the sorriest race i have ever seen noone wanted to race just ride around and follow each other.

get rid of this crap and give Iowa both races and the Chase date.

Ranting can be fun some time, I have done my share . But this will never happen, just follow the money. I would change some things if I had the power but that ain't happening either.
A 36 race season with more the 20 venues is going to provide some less popular dates. It is what it is.

little late ya think
Events at Daytona International Speedway and Talladega Superspeedway also will be contested without restrictor plates next season for the first time since 1987.
All the other tracks will be restricted other than short tracks and road courses, so no ...duh I'm not late. Poll has been posted.

The tapered spacer is essentially a CFM “restrictor.”
Yep...more "plate" racing on more than 2 tracks? Why? With an engine designed to push out more than 750hp. Again Why? We will see huge plate style wrecks more often than not, again I ask Why? Why do this when the racing was already getting better and headed in the right direction?

Yep...more "plate" racing on more than 2 tracks? Why? With an engine designed to push out more than 750hp. Again Why? We will see huge plate style wrecks more often than not, again I ask Why? Why do this when the racing was already getting better and headed in the right direction?
The racing at Fontana has been awesome. It didn’t need fixing.

They ran 204 with the plate, and they will have more than that for the races next year. Expect more changes before the season. Stewie Haas isn't getting by with their skew I would bet for next year.

They ran 204 with the plate, and they will have more than that for the races next year. Expect more changes before the season. Stewie Haas isn't getting by with their skew I would bet for next year.
Speed doesn't equate to good racing, I couldn't care less how fast they go as long as there is good racing.

Back
Top Bottom