Can We Please Get Talladega off the schedule?

@TexasRaceLady if you don't want to be a part of the forum, that's fine. Why does it need to be closed down though?

@TexasRaceLady if you don't want to be a part of the forum, that's fine. Why does it need to be closed down though?
It's not just her, a lot of us are getting fed up with the constant bickering, name calling and just plain trash. This is supposed to be a family oriented forum not a free for all. The troublemakers need to straighten out or stay in the podium. My two cents.

I've encouraged fury to shut it down for a couple of months, to be honest.
It's not fun anymore.

And I have no problem with arguments and discussions. But when it starts getting
bitter and harsh, it's not funny/fun anymore.
Stop reading and posting

It's not just her, a lot of us are getting fed up with the constant bickering, name calling and just plain trash. This is supposed to be a family oriented forum not a free for all. The troublemakers need to straighten out or stay in the podium. My two cents.

Yeah that's why I skip pages of discussion at-a-time.

DUDE.....TRLs moderation makes this place what it is. It would not be racing-forums without her.

If she decided to never log in again I'm sure it would go on, possibly not as reigned-in(micro-managed?), but it would go on.

I'm not being critical of TRL, I'm just saying. It's weird to ask the owner of a site to shut it down if you're sick of moderating it.

Yeah that's why I skip pages of discussion at-a-time.

If she decided to never log in again I'm sure it would go on, possibly not as reigned-in(micro-managed?), but it would go on.

I'm not being critical of TRL, I'm just saying. It's weird to ask the owner of the site to shut it down if you're sick of moderating it.

I think TRL would rather see if not operational than be a free for all. thats not what I joined up for. TRL is the best manager a board could ask for. This is not other forums which are ruined with garbage.

I think TRL would rather see if not operational than be a free for all. thats not what I joined up for. TRL is the best manager a board could ask for. This is not other forums which are ruined with garbage.

You're dealing in extremes here. Her retiring from forum moderation doesn't mean the forum will never be moderated again.

This is all hypothetical of course. she ain't going anywhere lol

A while back someone started a thread and the premise was weak but the member was sincere. There were comments I thought were harsh and unwarranted directed at the thread initiator.

What some people don’t understand is people read but don’t become members because they don’t want to be made sport of. They don’t want to ask questions or give opinions because of the snark and sarcasm that is available here by the truckload.

When a few people make a forum their personal sandbox and others skirt the intent of the rules it sucks for many. Throw in your fisherman and the others that chime in with passive aggressive remarks and I can see why it wouldn’t be fun for people.

A while back someone started a thread and the premise was weak but the member was sincere. There were comments I thought were harsh and unwarranted directed at the thread initiator.

What some people don’t understand is people read but don’t become members because they don’t want to be made sport of. They don’t want to ask questions or give opinions because of the snark and sarcasm that is available here by the truckload.

When a few people make a forum their personal sandbox and others skirt the intent of the rules it sucks for many. Throw in your fisherman and the others that chime in with passive aggressive remarks and I can see why it wouldn’t be fun for people.

Awesome point.

I don't know, I enjoy the site simply because I have very few friends, none of which are NASCAR fans. I mean, none of the members here are my friends and I have never met any of them, but it's still nice having a place with people to discuss nascar and sports with. This is my 3rd sports forum site as the previous two were shut down. If this place goes away, I would probably give up on forums and force myself to come out of my bubble and actually converse with people at the local race track.

I don't know, I enjoy the site simply because I have very few friends, none of which are NASCAR fans. I mean, none of the members here are my friends and I have never met any of them, but it's still nice having a place with people to discuss nascar and sports with. This is my 3rd sports forum site as the previous two were shut down. If this place goes away, I would probably give up on forums and force myself to come out of my bubble and actually converse with people at the local race track.
.nothing wrong with that

Looked ok to me. :headbang:
Dpgs_gBU0AA35ao.jpg

#metoo

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Talladega is still on my bucket list. One of these days I'll get there.
Instead of going to Daytona in Feb several of my friends went to 'Tega in April. They had a blast and have sworn off going back to Daytona.

For contrast, the 30th running of Daytona was on TV last night, Bobby won and David finished second. Lots of passing. First year of the plate for the small block.

Instead of going to Daytona in Feb several of my friends went to 'Tega in April. They had a blast and have sworn off going back to Daytona.

For contrast, the 30th running of Daytona was on TV last night, Bobby won and David finished second. Lots of passing. First year of the plate for the small block.
Daytona is also on my list.

With the 2019 rules package, NASCAR anticipates pack racing to remain key at Daytona and Talladega but Sunday’s race might force series officials to make some additional changes to ensure the pack is back next year.

There’s an expectation when NASCAR races at Daytona and Talladega of pack racing, passing and wild action.
Such was in limited supply at both Talladega races this year. But it wasn’t just there. The four plate races (Daytona and Talladega) saw 89 lead changes this season — down 29.4 percent from last year’s plate races.
Fewer than 50 percent of the voters said either Talladega race this year was a good one in Gluck’s poll. The April race had 24 lead changes — the fewest for that event since 19 lead changes in the 1998 race — and saw a 57.8 percent decline in green-flag passes.
The 15 lead changes were the fewest at Talladega since 1973.

Think about that … lead changes at its lowest level since before any driver in Sunday’s race was born and green-flag passes down more than 50 percent from the previous year.

https://nascar.nbcsports.com/2018/10/16/long-is-talladega-supposed-to-look-like-this/

With the 2019 rules package, NASCAR anticipates pack racing to remain key at Daytona and Talladega but Sunday’s race might force series officials to make some additional changes to ensure the pack is back next year.

There’s an expectation when NASCAR races at Daytona and Talladega of pack racing, passing and wild action.
Such was in limited supply at both Talladega races this year. But it wasn’t just there. The four plate races (Daytona and Talladega) saw 89 lead changes this season — down 29.4 percent from last year’s plate races.
Fewer than 50 percent of the voters said either Talladega race this year was a good one in Gluck’s poll. The April race had 24 lead changes — the fewest for that event since 19 lead changes in the 1998 race — and saw a 57.8 percent decline in green-flag passes.

Think about that … lead changes at its lowest level since before any driver in Sunday’s race was born and green-flag passes down more than 50 percent from the previous year.

https://nascar.nbcsports.com/2018/10/16/long-is-talladega-supposed-to-look-like-this/
Whsts there to think about? The mere statement of nascar wanting more pack racing says it all.

Ugh, the race was boring because one team controlled the entire race masterfully. It was a fluke. I actually really like what they were proposing for the super speedways.. Here we go with more knee-jerk ridiculousness.

I could be wrong, but I think next year at the super speedways they will have more HP than they do now. I have no idea what that means. Handling has been a factor, even more so with the smaller spoiler they had earlier.

Ugh, the race was boring because one team controlled the entire race masterfully. It was a fluke. I actually really like what they were proposing for the super speedways.. Here we go with more knee-jerk ridiculousness.
maybe next year they will call it the Stewart Haas invitational

Daytona is also on my list.

I guarantee when you come out of the 'concourse' where the concessions and bathroom are and walk out into the sunlight and see the track for the first time you'll say holy shat.
When the guys came back from Tega last spring they said Tega makes Daytona look small. I HOPE to make it to Tega next year.

I could be wrong, but I think next year at the super speedways they will have more HP than they do now. I have no idea what that means. Handling has been a factor, even more so with the smaller spoiler they had earlier.

I interpreted it as less of a possibility of pack racing yet with alot of emphasis on drafting. I felt like it would look like the late 80's and early 90's when plate racing was new.

This weekend was more the results of one teams dominance rather than a broken plate package.

So much negativity from the mouth's of NASCAR themselves.. The racing has been great this year and all we hear about is how boring it's been.

Whsts there to think about? The mere statement of nascar wanting more pack racing says it all.
That was an article written by NBC news. :idunno: I think Nascar said they want more passing and closer competition but some interpret it to mean plates and pack racing.

hard to argue with the statistics, but some will. :idunno:

All this bickering about "follow the leader pack racing". I was just wondering if anyone has ever watched a Talladega
race before the plates. Just mosey on over to YouTube and start with the 1987 Winston 500. Yes, that's the one
causing all this grief. Elliott with the 212 mph pole speed and Allison tearing down 100 feet of catch fence. Just watch
the actual racing... To this old fart it looks identical to what I saw last Sunday. Bill & Davey set sail while everyone else
futzed around in a pointless pissing contest for 3rd. It got good again when they finally decided to get in line and run
those two back down or they'd start lapping the field by lap 25.
The point I'm trying to get across is they can change the engine rules all they want. Daytona and Talladega has
ALWAYS been about mastery of the draft. Even those guys in the '59 race at Daytona knew something new was happening
when their cars would suddenly pick up 10 mph with their foot only halfway to the floor when they got right in behind
another car.
Seriously, start with the Winston 500 and just work backwards. You don't even have to watch the whole race. Just
kind of fast forward at 10 minute intervals or so and you can see it.
As far as I'm concerned there's nothing in all of motorsports that comes close to rivaling the complexity of the
ultra-aero tracks. They're not my favorite races by any means but I love watching these guys sweat and worry when one
them is coming up.

All this bickering about "follow the leader pack racing". I was just wondering if anyone has ever watched a Talladega
race before the plates. Just mosey on over to YouTube and start with the 1987 Winston 500. Yes, that's the one
causing all this grief. Elliott with the 212 mph pole speed and Allison tearing down 100 feet of catch fence. Just watch
the actual racing... To this old fart it looks identical to what I saw last Sunday. Bill & Davey set sail while everyone else
futzed around in a pointless pissing contest for 3rd. It got good again when they finally decided to get in line and run
those two back down or they'd start lapping the field by lap 25.
The point I'm trying to get across is they can change the engine rules all they want. Daytona and Talladega has
ALWAYS been about mastery of the draft. Even those guys in the '59 race at Daytona knew something new was happening
when their cars would suddenly pick up 10 mph with their foot only halfway to the floor when they got right in behind
another car.
Seriously, start with the Winston 500 and just work backwards. You don't even have to watch the whole race. Just
kind of fast forward at 10 minute intervals or so and you can see it.
As far as I'm concerned there's nothing in all of motorsports that comes close to rivaling the complexity of the
ultra-aero tracks. They're not my favorite races by any means but I love watching these guys sweat and worry when one
them is coming up.

I could be wrong, but making the cars harder to drive at the super speedways only accomplished higher speeds and cars that were a bear to drive for most of em. They are running the same package next year for the first race Daytona and they could have record passes for the lead and a real barn burner for all I know. But I bet they will all look like SHR's crab walking quartet unless Nascar says nope. :D

I could be wrong, but making the cars harder to drive at the super speedways only accomplished higher speeds and cars that were a bear to drive for most of em. They are running the same package next year for the first race Daytona and they could have record passes for the lead and a real barn burner for all I know. But I bet they will all look like SHR's crab walking quartet unless Nascar says nope. :D

You could very well be right about "Tony's Tigers" and the crab walking thing. I wonder how the brass will handle that?
I think I recall Kurt Busch at some point complaining that the yaw was a bit too much and making it very tricky going into the
corners when side by side. I guess we'll see what happens in February.
The point I was trying to make was that no matter what the body style, rules package, engine BS that NASCAR implements
the racing at the uber aero tracks looks EXACTLY the same as it did LONG before restrictor plates were implemented. Like I said before
there's just nothing like it anywhere else in all of motorsports and I find it endlessly fascinating to see all the different strategies these
teams have tried over the years. Remove Talladega from the schedule? Not gonna happen. To me mastering the draft is like a test pilot
being selected to be an astronaut. Win at Daytona or Talledega, you're a damn good driver. Do it with regularity? You're a true star.

Oh yeah I agree. really out of the box when they were built, drivers revolted at the sight of em. Just like the fans some drivers like them and some don't. I like the road races myself the most. The cars look so bad ass set up for those races.

I'm not denying that Almirola did a great job or that the Fords in general and the SHR cars in particular whipped everyone's asses, and I don't even have a problem with that, just that was dull to watch. It seemed like a Formula One race. You had what you had and NOTHING was going to change your fate. All you could do was wait for somebody to have trouble or make a mistake. I feel like it was possible for a SHR car to run in the top four the entire 500 miles and never pass a single car on the track.

I am fairly certain after Stage 2 all the SHR guy's got shuffled to the middle of the pack and were forced to make their way back to the front split up. Amazingly, they pulled this off and got back lined up again. Keselowski led for a while. At one point, Byron got to the lead, and KB had an opportunity to pull down infront of them and disrupt things.

It's just a different type of racing some can appreciate, some can't if it gets single file and boring for them. Talladega and Daytona should stay right where they are imo.

In year's past it's been a great equalizer on equipment (which is obviously not entirely true, but does bring more guy's into the equation), I personally like that, since I often wonder how good an Allmendinger would be if you took him out of his car and plopped him into the 4 or 18 for a season.

I thought the racing at Talladega and Daytona was better when they had the wings. The field was constantly changing positions and the cars had a better chance at recovering from small incidents.

Back
Top Bottom