Charlotte --- 600 RACE thread

Until the next race and the next Toyota.

I don't agree. Rule changes have leveled the playing field again. I am impressed, however, with TRD's ability to react to change historically. It's called engineering. This whole deal is going to shuffle a bit IMO. Martin was fabulous, but the rest of my Toyotas ranged from sound to struggling. Part of my love of the sport is watching to see if Toyota can regain its advantage.

This reminded me of the fall 1993 Charlotte race. Ernie Irvan led like 328 of 334 laps.

This race was super easy to watch as essentially it was 50 lap run, cars come out in about the same order and then repeat, repeat, repeat. I am not complaining about it whatsoever but 400 miles would have accomplished the same thing. IMO this race should be shortened as so many of the problems that 600 mile races presented years ago are no longer present. Drivers have power steering and AC, the team members are in great shape, cars don't overheat and not much gets blowed up anymore.

This race was super easy to watch as essentially it was 50 lap run, cars come out in about the same order and then repeat, repeat, repeat. I am not complaining about it whatsoever but 400 miles would have accomplished the same thing. IMO this race should be shortened as so many of the problems that 600 mile races presented years ago are no longer present. Drivers have power steering and AC, the team members are in great shape, cars don't overheat and not much gets blowed up anymore.

Boooooooooooooooo

Looks like the testing of V8 Camrys at the Twin Ring is paying off.

Be happy for him. Did I want the 48 to beat him? Yes. But this happens. It's racing. Sometimes someone is just dominant

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

99% of the time I disagree with shortening races, but this I agree with.

Martin tallied 197pts on Draftkings last night. That is the new gold standard. Even though it took a nice chunk out of my wallet, I can still find great appreciation for a performance like that.

cars don't overheat and not much gets blowed up anymore.

Pocono '13 prevents me from ever taking this for granted. That was when my TRD Toyotas had to back power down to keep them from popping. This sport is cyclical.

Looks like the testing of V8 Camrys at the Twin Ring is paying off.
Sorry ... those are Honda's much anticipated 2018 Cup cars.

They expect to be competitive right off the ship errr ... transporter.

I don't think I've watched a domination like that before so I'll defintely remember this race, even if it was lackluster. Also really happy for Martin & Sherry.

Would have change the significance of what Martin did. Nope.
Got nothing to do with this one race. The 600 has been a bland race for years. It doesnt have the same stigma it did when the extra 100 miles actually took a toll on the drivers and teams. Now its just a parade for a few hundred miles killing time riding. Opinions may vary.

The 600 should never be shortened in my view. This was the second worst race I've ever seen, but it was (hopefully) more because one car was so far superior to the others than any problem with the track/aero. Shortening races like Pocono was fine, but the 600 is a NASCAR tradition.

I don't think I've watched a domination like that before so I'll defintely remember this race, even if it was lackluster. Also really happy for Martin & Sherry.

I think that this captures how I feel. What Martin did was special, but somehow NASCAR Nation feels like something needs to be fixed. BTW, I felt the same way about Dover last fall even if one of my guys didn't win. I believe that fans are so screwed up by the idea of "good racing," that they no longer know what the hell they are looking for. I am of the belief that "good racing" is defined by if one's driver wins. NASCAR will chase its ass on this for eternity obviously.

I believe that fans are so screwed up by the idea of "good racing," that they no longer know what the hell they are looking for.
This is plausible. At the very least, there is nothing remotely close to agreement on what constitutes good racing.

I think that this captures how I feel. What Martin did was special, but somehow NASCAR Nation feels like something needs to be fixed. BTW, I felt the same way about Dover last fall even if one of my guys didn't win. I believe that fans are so screwed up by the idea of "good racing," that they no longer know what the hell they are looking for. I am of the belief that "good racing" is defined by if one's driver wins. NASCAR will chase its ass on this for eternity obviously.

The only thing that needs to be fixed is caution inconsistentcy imo. A low rating doesn't mean something needs to change necessarily. I would rate a blowout CFB low too. Some races are good, some are bad. This one was particularly horrendous.

Obviously I see nothing wrong with a person being stoked when a fave wins but the race could be a clunker like both MIS events in 2015.

I was happy for Truex Jr. ... great run for him and his team. The racing action this year with the new package has been much improved, but it didn't translate to this race. All told it was one of the most boring races of the year so far. The cars all got gapped out pretty good and there just wasn't much action up front all night.

I was happy for Truex Jr. ... great run for him and his team. The racing action this year with the new package has been much improved, but it didn't translate to this race. All told it was one of the most boring races of the year so far. The cars all got gapped out pretty good and there just wasn't much action up front all night.

I agree as Nascar has had more good racing this year then all of last year and every race can't be a barn burner. It didn't bother me that that the 78 checked out as when a team comes to a track that prepared they deserve everything they get. I have a feeling there was probably some really good racing that Fox didn't show and I thought the broadcast sucked and it made the race seem poor too.

Used to be that a great driver/crew chief dominated the sport. Now, it's a manufacturer. Toyota complained about horsepower a few years ago, the result? NASCAR reduced horsepower. Who benefits? You know the answer.

Used to be that a great driver/crew chief dominated the sport. Now, it's a manufacturer. Toyota complained about horsepower a few years ago, the result? NASCAR reduced horsepower. Who benefits? You know the answer.
Ford is the manufacturer that got what they wanted:

Sources familiar with the discussions say that Chevrolet and Toyota are pushing for a reduction to 5.0-liter engines, while the Ford camp is pushing for the use of tapered spacers, such as are used in the NASCAR Nationwide and Camping World Truck Series engines.

http://www.foxsports.com/nascar/sto...ving-toward-horsepower-reduction-in-15-032214

Obviously I see nothing wrong with a person being stoked when a fave wins but the race could be a clunker like both MIS events in 2015.

I see a race weekend quite differently. I was at MIS in August, and was completely captivated by the prospects of the high drag set up. Didn't turn out the way they thought it might, but nonetheless, it was a completely interesting weekend. Certainly, a Toyota in Victory Lane doesn't hurt my appreciation, but it really isn't necessary either. I saw Harvick's dominance of Dover last fall compelling--both from the standpoint of the clutch nature of the performance, and the sheer dominance. These cars are designed to level the playing field. Completely fascinating to me when someone dominates. There is no other sport that I am aware of where the fans sit back and evaluate the event like this. I truly have never seen a bad race. Each one is what it is.

Good lord folks. Truex drove it like he stole it for 400 laps, he had a car set up that drivers dream of (and seldom get again) and was as consistent as anyone I have ever watched. He won clean with a little over 2 seconds over second, that ain't much. One bobble or slip and bam he looses, it was not that big a margin of victory time wise, that is what made the last 25 laps, nail bitters for me. I was worried about a debris caution big time, then in the last 10 laps I just new some kind of booger man would jump out and end the streak.

But it did not happen, since My man Mat couldn't win it, I was elated that Truex finally got the deal.

And revman stated it well above, quote: " Some fans are so screwed up by the idea of "good racing," that they no longer know what the hell they are looking for"

I see a race weekend quite differently. I was at MIS in August, and was completely captivated by the prospects of the high drag set up. Didn't turn out the way they thought it might, but nonetheless, it was a completely interesting weekend. Certainly, a Toyota in Victory Lane doesn't hurt my appreciation, but it really isn't necessary either. I saw Harvick's dominance of Dover last fall compelling--both from the standpoint of the clutch nature of the performance, and the sheer dominance. These cars are designed to level the playing field. Completely fascinating to me when someone dominates. There is no other sport that I am aware of where the fans sit back and evaluate the event like this. I truly have never seen a bad race. Each one is what it is.

I have seen a lot of drivers put a hurting on the field before and like I said earlier it doesn't bother me a bit when someone hits the setup and dominate. I have seen everyone from Bobby Allison, Harry Gant, Rusty Wallace, DW and Kurt Busch do it.

I have seen a lot of drivers put a hurting on the field before and like I said earlier it doesn't bother me a bit when someone hits the setup and dominate. I have seen everyone from Bobby Allison, Harry Gant, Rusty Wallace, DW and Kurt Busch do it.

Even more special in this day when the differences between the cars are so small.

Even more special in this day when the differences between the cars are so small.

When I look at the starting grid I pretty much see 3 divisions of IROC cars. The very good, the OK and the ugly. I was always amazed when Davey Allison drove the 28 as you could see those Robert Yates engines just pulling from the corners down the straightaways and I assume that was done with torque. These days success seems to be measured more by who has good pit stops and set up.

When I look at the starting grid I pretty much see 3 divisions of IROC cars. The very good, the OK and the ugly. I was always amazed when Davey Allison drove the 28 as you could see those Robert Yates engines just pulling from the corners down the straightaways and I assume that was done with torque. These days success seems to be measured more by who has good pit stops and set up.

Amen! And there's another thing! (on a roll today! lol) Pit Stops! 11 second pit stops suck! I admire the athleticism of the crews but there really isn't any drama (as Choclate says) in the stops anymore. I know i'm in the minority on this but I would love to see a restriction on Jack weight, stoke to lift ratio, air gun tech and maybe even socket design.

Add a degree of difficulty to the stop other than who can run the fastest and and hold the trigger full bore. JMO

They could be given X wrenches, five gallon jerry cans 'n floor jacks borrowed from the fillin' station Goober runs. The crew with talent that trains the hardest is gonna win.

They could be given X wrenches, five gallon jerry cans 'n floor jacks borrowed from the fillin' station Goober runs. The crew with talent that trains the hardest is gonna win.

I agree! (except for the wrench) I still think it was more entertaining to watch those boys swing around a 50 pound jack than to watch a running and jumping contest. JMO

These days success seems to be measured more by who has good pit stops and set up.

Truer words have never been spoken. I wish we could get motor back into the equation. IMO the best that TRD has done is to equal the power delivery of the Hendrick Chevys, and clean up the reliability. No small feat, but I laugh when the boneheads on NASCAR Radio talk about TRD out motoring everybody. Whatever JGR/FRR/TRD are doing with the set ups is the biggest part of the equation, and we know what JGR can do with the pit stops.

Back
Top Bottom