Chase Elliott Injury/Rehab

Stewart missed eight races and got in with the win. He finished somewhere between 25-27th in points, I forget exactly, but he just needed to crack the top 30 for the win to count. I think it would be monumentally difficult for Chase to point his way in now, if it’s even possible. He just needs to go out there and win.

Edit: 2016
I was going by this
Despite his absence from the last three races, NASCAR will allow Tony Stewart to remain eligible for a spot in this year's Chase for the Sprint Cup championship due to "a very unique set of circumstances."

Hasn’t Chase always raced in the charter era, and thus guaranteed a starting spot?

He's referring to the Chase for the Championship, not Chase Elliott.

Pre chase, but I wonder what they would have done with this mess if it was in the chase period?

The charters pretty much make this type of scenario impossible, but I'd venture to say, based on the precedent set by not granting Grant Enfinger's waiver in the Truck Series, that Burton would be eliminated from the championship in this scenario.

Tony actually did make the playoffs in 2016 by way of his win at Sonoma, but didn’t do much once he got there.

Chase will actually have a harder road if he makes the playoffs than Tony did in 2016, with the stage points and regular season-end bonus points he’s gonna miss out on.

If he makes the playoffs, which he will, and gets through the first round, which is likely, he's probably safe to at least make it to the semifinal because of his virtually guaranteed Charlotte Roval victory.

He's referring to the Chase for the Championship, not Chase Elliott.

The charters pretty much make this type of scenario impossible, but I'd venture to say, based on the precedent set by not granting Grant Enfinger's waiver in the Truck Series, that Burton would be eliminated from the championship in this scenario.
Yeah Burton would have been given the past championship pole sitter award, or the he made all the races last year waiver.

Yeah Burton would have been given the past championship pole sitter award, or the he made all the races last year waiver.

Here's the problem with waivers, it's so subjective.

I wish they'd quit this whole song and dance, a song that's only playing because we want a 32nd place driver to make the playoffs on some sort of fluke win (which is the whole reason Daytona is the cutoff race), and just say you have to finish top-25 in points to be playoff eligible.

If NASCAR wants a "wild card" type of race so bad, just outright do one. Hold a "Wild Card" race at Charlotte or Wilkesboro on the Wednesday before the Southern 500, lock the stage winners, race winner, and "highest in points" into the final four spots and be done with it.

Chase Elliott isn't going to win the fifth race of the year then decide to sit out 10 races. It's just not going to happen. I know that's what NASCAR's trying to prevent, but it didn't even happen in the old championship era when Dale Earnhardt had the championship locked up before the final race. It didn't happen when Jimmie Johnson was locked into the Chase after winning at Indianapolis or something.

The "run all the races" requirement is a solution to a problem that does not exist. And, quite frankly, I think drivers should be able to miss a race or two if they choose to.

Oh, and we wouldn't even be having this discussion if we weren't taking half the field into the playoffs. Top-12 was fine, top-10 is perfect.

I don't take it that serious myself. I enjoy all the racing to get to the point of the stick n ball like playoffs which are just as bogus as the football ones. I do have a stomach full of the gerbils fake drama who I bet in private know the Chase is B.S. like the rest of us know it is. I don't waste my time trying to make something legitimate and railing about something that will never be no matter how they tweak it. I watch and try not to be a crashing bore while doing so.

If he makes the playoffs, which he will, and gets through the first round, which is likely, he's probably safe to at least make it to the semifinal because of his virtually guaranteed Charlotte Roval victory.

He has won 2 out of 5 roval races, how does that guarantee his victory this year?

He has won 2 out of 5 roval races, how does that guarantee his victory this year?
It doesn't. If you throw in all of the road courses this year though, Elliott has a good chance of winning one. Probably his best chances for a win would be road courses.

He was well on his way this past year until the ****show began.

And the 2021 race was the one where Kevin Harvick wiped Chase Elliott (and later himself) out.

We could be talking about four consecutive wins if not for shenanigans.

I was going by this
Despite his absence from the last three races, NASCAR will allow Tony Stewart to remain eligible for a spot in this year's Chase for the Sprint Cup championship due to "a very unique set of circumstances."
Ah I was talking about his 2016 season where he won at Sonoma. He didn’t make the playoffs in 2014 anyways, but NASCAR gave him a waiver in the case he did qualify for them.

All he has to do is win a race, not that tough a deal.
Ask Ryan Blaney how tough it can be. I take NOTHING for granted, And when I watch one of my favorites win, I always have the notion that I MAY have watched their final win. It almost came true with Jeff Gordon, and then he loused it up by winning at Martinsville. I guess I can always say i witnessed his second and second to last wins.

Ask Ryan Blaney how tough it can be. I take NOTHING for granted, And when I watch one of my favorites win, I always have the notion that I MAY have watched their final win. It almost came true with Jeff Gordon, and then he loused it up by winning at Martinsville. I guess I can always say i witnessed his second and second to last wins.

Chase Elliott and Ryan Blaney aren't on the same tier. Elliott's a championship contender and a proven multi-win per year driver. Blaney, so far, hasn't shown he's in the same league.

Back
Top Bottom