Chase in a slump. Any reason to freak?

ahudsonman

Team Owner
Chase Elliott is in a slump.
His last 5 finishes are: 15, 35, 11, 37, 20.
Just a normal slump that all drivers to through? Or is it team slump....a team going backwards?
Or something else?
What say you?

What's the loop data on the 9 team? Are they running where they usually are? I'm an Newman/Bowman fan more so than anyone else this year.

Yep, He has been the fastest Hendrick team car for years. You have two factors in play, the ability of the car and the ability of the driver/team. Last year Chase didn't start on his win of three until Watkins Glenn. He already has a win this year, one could say he is ahead of last year. Yeah he has been going thru a dry spell. But it isn't time for a panic IMO.

Chase Elliott is in a slump.
His last 5 finishes are: 15, 35, 11, 37, 20.
Just a normal slump that all drivers to through? Or is it team slump....a team going backwards?
Or something else?
What say you?
Preparing for the Playoffs. The time to try something different and find speed is now, see what works and what doesnt.

Tony Stewart historically didn't run worth a hoot until after Memorial Day. One of my fantasy strategies was to not start him until after then.

"Don't panic." - Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy.

Tony Stewart historically didn't run worth a hoot until after Memorial Day. One of my fantasy strategi
es was to not start him until after then.

"Don't panic." - Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy.

Yep Tony would always heat up and get hot usually at Sonoma or Daytona and roll off a lot of wins and good finishes

Keep in mind that one of those finishes was a blown engine while running 2nd, one was being wiped out in a restrictor plate wreck while running in the top five, and the last one was the result of coming out on the short end of a free-for-all on a GWC restart. Are they running good enough to win a championship? Not even close, but the finishes alone do not tell the whole story.

No panic.

But he hasn't been the fastest Hendrick car the last few weeks. The 48 and 88 have been just as good the last two races.

It's mid season though. They'll get the speed back. But they are falling just a tad behind

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

He overcame the hurdle of getting his first win. He overcame another hurdle getting a win this season. Chase is currently locked into the playoffs. He could run like hot garbage until the first race of the playoffs, then flip the switch. The #9 camp is good. They just have to avoid bad circumstances.

Carl Edwards to the #9.

We are due for the ‘Carl Edwards return next season rumor’...

We already had someone bring the dodge return rumor up a month ago... it’s time to hear all the possible seats Carl will take... until he gets interviewed on his John Deere bailing hay in the mid west, to officially squash the speculation.

Your "Slump" story ain't Chase.

It's these guys -- 2019 Club Zero:

Notables (post-Kentucky 7/13)
Erik, JGR
Blaney, Penske
Jimmie, HMS
Byron, HMS
Larson, CGR
Harvick, SHR
Bowyer, SHR
Almirola, SHR
Suarez, SHR
Newman, RFR
Stenhouse, RFR
Austin, RCR

Ok....so if it's not a slump, and it's bad circumstances......
Well, it continues. New Hampshire got him a P29.
His average finish in the last six races is 24.5
That ranks 30th.
He has led 7 laps total, in these last 6 races.
I do believe it is more of a team/Hendrick thing than a Chase thing.
But it is a thing.

Ok....so if it's not a slump, and it's bad circumstances......
Well, it continues. New Hampshire got him a P29.
His average finish in the last six races is 24.5
That ranks 30th.
He has led 7 laps total, in these last 6 races.
I do believe it is more of a team/Hendrick thing than a Chase thing.
But it is a thing.

but, but A.S. Maness's chart. :rolleyes:

In 2016:

Sonoma - 21
Daytona - 32
Kentucky - 31
Loudon - 34
Indy - 15
Pocono - 33

Average of 27.6. Went on to make a deep playoff run.

Lots of strong tracks coming for Chase, he's going to regain his stride at the right time and sail off into the postseason.

Well, you seem to be predicting he will again this year.
I hope you are right.
I have 2 concerns. 1) he should be lots better than 2016, which was his rookie year
and 2) Hendrck cars seem much weaker in 2019 than they were in 2016.

Preparing for the Playoffs. The time to try something different and find speed is now, see what works and what doesnt.
Well, their notebook on what to NOT do is growing rapidly. What interests me is that HMS as a whole seems like they tried something funky with the belts/engines on the 750 hp package this year and it’s very fragile. Chase lost PS at Bristol, Jimmie lost it at Loudon. Then the engine failures at Sonoma and Loudon... at least Chase had a winning car at Bristol before the PS went out.

In 2016:

Sonoma - 21
Daytona - 32
Kentucky - 31
Loudon - 34
Indy - 15
Pocono - 33

Average of 27.6. Went on to make a deep playoff run.

Lots of strong tracks coming for Chase, he's going to regain his stride at the right time and sail off into the postseason.
I’m going to adopt your optimistic outlook instead of the one I currently hold. It seems like more fun. ;)

Hell yes it is....if you're his fan, it's time. It's what we do. I'm getting edgy since Brad hasn't won in a while. Last year was hell until Darlington.

Well, lets be perfectly honest. Unless HMS comes up with a blinding light of divine inspiration fairly soon, Chase AND his three teammates are absolute toast as far as 2019 goes.

Back
Top Bottom