Clippers owner Donald Sterling is in deep trouble again

He's being punished by a private business. I have no issues with this. If the government was punishing him for what he said, it's different.
Also, I work for the city and there are certain subjects that we do not discuss at work and there are certain things that we are not allowed to say at work.
Imagine if I said something at home and my work stepped in to punish me. WTF?

People are punished for their speech all the time. Don't give me the "private conversation" crap. Everybody with half a brain knows there's no privacy anymore. If you walk outside, you're being recorded on YouTube. If you're on the phone, you could easily be recorded by someone on the other end and it's a well known established fact that the government is listening in on our phone calls as well. Employers all across the country spy on their employees - even on their private lives.

Free market solutions at play here. Sterling's remarks are public now whether they were intended to be or not.
You should probably educate yourself on California law. It is illegal in California to record a private conversation without the knowledge of all parties involved.
Since you mentioned phones, it is a violation of federal wire-tapping laws in the state of California to record a phone conversation without knowledge of all parties involved.

You should probably educate yourself on California law. It is illegal in California to record a private conversation without the knowledge of all parties involved.
Since you mentioned phones, it is a violation of federal wire-tapping laws in the state of California to record a phone conversation without knowledge of all parties involved.

So the NBA should just say "it's illegal to record phone calls", pretend this never happened and let a hardcore racist continue to be involved in a majority-black sport and risk losing millions of fans, also majority-black? It came out. It does not matter how it came out. A private business feels that a representative of their business' remarks that are now public damages their reputation. Players were threatening to boycott the playoffs in the second most watched sports league in the country. It was a PR disaster that had to be addressed.

The NBA and the people supporting the NBA's decisions are basically firing Donald Sterling or basically asking for his resignation.
Imagine if you went to work tomorrow only to find out that you were being fired for something that you said at home, earlier in the week.

If I own a business and audiotape surfaced of you, my employee, talking down about other employees and customers, you really think my reaction should be, "It's illegal to record someone's phone conversation without their consent" and keep you on the job while my other employees left and my customers boycotted my business?

So the NBA should just say "it's illegal to record phone calls", pretend this never happened and let a hardcore racist continue to be involved in a majority-black sport and risk losing millions of fans, also majority-black? It came out. It does not matter how it came out. A private business feels that a representative of their business' remarks that are now public damages their reputation. Players were threatening to boycott the playoffs in the second most watched sports league in the country. It was a PR disaster that had to be addressed.
Players cannot boycott the playoffs or they, themselves would be in breach of contract.
So you're ok if someone illegally records you at home and takes the recording to your employer and your employer then fires you?
Wake the ****k up.

The NBA and the people supporting the NBA's decisions are basically firing Donald Sterling or basically asking for his resignation.
Imagine if you went to work tomorrow only to find out that you were being fired for something that you said at home, earlier in the week.

His comments went public. Bottom line. Words have consequences.

If I own a business and audiotape surfaced of you, my employee, talking down about other employees and customers, you really think my reaction should be, "It's illegal to record someone's phone conversation without their consent" and keep you on the job while my other employees left and my customers boycotted my business?
Q: Why is illegally obtained evidence not permissible in a criminal trial?
A: Because it violates your constitutional rights.

Players cannot boycott the playoffs or they, themselves would be in breach of contract.
So you're ok if someone illegally records you at home and takes the recording to your employer and your employer then fires you?
Wake the ****k up.

It doesn't matter what contract the players would be violating. Every single player in the NBA was united in removing Sterling. The players had the upper hand. Violation of contract or not, if they boycotted the playoffs, the NBA would have lost billions of dollars. Not to mention, the process of rebuilding the league if they actually decided to do something about the players boycotting the playoffs.

So, if YOU said something in private and it ended up being public, I, as your employer, should be forced to keep you on the job because "wah it's illegal" and lose all my other employees and customers and essentially lose everything because of it?

Q: Why is illegally obtained evidence not permissible in a criminal trial?
A: Because it violates your constitutional rights.

We're not talking about the government prosecuting Sterling. We're talking about a private corporation which isn't obligated to honor "constitutional rights".

Remember Freedom of Speech only protects you from the Government, not your employer.

Now should the girl get in trouble also, sure she broke the law, but it shouldn't protect Donald Sterling from what he said, point is he shouldn't have said it.

There is no place in professional sports (or in life, for that matter) for his kind, regardless of how he was caught. And it has come to light that he asked her to record their conversations, so that's not an issue anyway. It's kinda like when when some dude gets off on a murder charge, when everyone knows he's guilty, simply because there was ome piece of evidence that wasn't obtained correctly. IMO, that shouldn't matter. Guilty is guilty.

And the second amendment states that "congress shall make no law......" and he was not found guilty of breaking any law. He was, however, given the boot by a corporation...not the United States. Being a racist jackass has consequences, and he now knows that.

There is no place in professional sports (or in life, for that matter) for his kind, regardless of how he was caught. And it has come to light that he asked her to record their conversations, so that's not an issue anyway. It's kinda like when when some dude gets off on a murder charge, when everyone knows he's guilty, simply because there was ome piece of evidence that wasn't obtained correctly. IMO, that shouldn't matter. Guilty is guilty.

And the second amendment states that "congress shall make no law......" and he was not found guilty of breaking any law. He was, however, given the boot by a corporation...not the United States. Being a racist jackass has consequences, and he now knows that.
He's an a**hole, I'll agree. Severely punishing someone that did not break the law in the United States is abhorrent.

He's an a**hole, I'll agree. Severely punishing someone that did not break the law in the United States is abhorrent.
Severely punishing? The dude will likely make $1 Billion from selling the team.And again, this has nothing to do with him breaking or not breaking the law.

once tha sterling " black lynch mob " has dispersed.....we'll be able ta see tha other side of this argument.
he ain't a saint......but he ain't jim crow either. lotsa fabricated hysteria over this......which is how folks like sharpton make their $$.

just curious......wonder how many here bothered ta listen ta entire ~30 min. conversation between gal / sterling.
context has no meaning these days.

once tha sterling " black lynch mob " has dispersed.....we'll be able ta see tha other side of this argument.
he ain't a saint......but he ain't jim crow either. lotsa fabricated hysteria over this......which is how folks like sharpton make their $$.

just curious......wonder how many here bothered ta listen ta entire ~30 min. conversation between gal / sterling.
context has no meaning these days.
I'm sorry, but there IS no other side to this argument. "don't be seen hanging out with black people" says it all. And with his past actions and lawsuits, just solidifies that.

I'm sorry, but there IS no other side to this argument. "don't be seen hanging out with black people" says it all. And with his past actions and lawsuits, just solidifies that.

other side is what nba did......which may prove illegal ? we'll see.

at tha worst.....sterling had racist thoughts / ideas he relayed in private toward his hoe gal on tape.
but not a single proven racist action taken toward his nba team.

big diff.....

Even though Donald Sterling is a racist a**hole, punishing someone for what they said in private is un-American. The NBA cares more about money than they do about punishing someone for exercising their constitutional right to free speech.
Regardless of whether the NBA is punishing Sterling or whether the U.S. government is punishing Sterling, the first amendment was written in the belief that American citizens could speak their opinion freely.
a**hole Donald Sterling.
Epic failure NBA.

Even though Donald Sterling is a racist a**hole, punishing someone for what they said in private is un-American. The NBA cares more about money than they do about punishing someone for exercising their constitutional right to free speech.
Regardless of whether the NBA is punishing Sterling or whether the U.S. government is punishing Sterling, the first amendment was written in the belief that American citizens could speak their opinion freely.
a**hole Donald Sterling.
Epic failure NBA.
Of course the NBA cares more about making money than punishing someone. It is a business, that is it's entire purpose.

punishing someone for what they said in private is un-American.

First, it was said in the stands of a basketball arena, not in a private setting. He was surrounded by dozens of people, anyone of which could have recorded his comments.

Second, I heard that he could give the team to one of his sons saving him a bundle in taxes. But him giving the team to a son would require the approval of the league?
I can understand league approval as a requirement of a sale. But businesses get passed from father to son every day. Maybe he'll fight till the end, his end, and have it in his will the team goes to a son.

None of the reports I read said the audio was recorded at a basketball arena. Maybe you could post a link...

a**hole Donald Sterling.
Epic failure NBA.

uploadfromtaptalk1399062674469.jpg

So you would have no problem if someone illegally recorded you in a private conversation and then offered the tape to your employer who then, fires you for what you said?
I do have a problem with that.
(and I didn't need a cartoon to make my point ;) )

So you would have no problem if someone illegally recorded you in a private conversation and then offered the tape to your employer who then, fires you for what you said?
I do have a problem with that.
(and I didn't need a cartoon to make my point ;) )

I don't run around making racist comments privately, so I don't have to worry about that. (Maybe you should find a cartoon to help you out, you aren't doing a very good job on your own. ;) )

Mmmm Hmmmm.
I'm grown up, beyond the cartoon stage.

If you are indeed grown up, then you would understand that as an employee, you are a representative of your employer. Therefor, anything you do negatively, will also shed a negative light on your employer since they are associated with you. Regardless of how your employer obtained the information, they have the right to get rid of anything or anyone that might have a negative impact on their business.

How that information about you was obtained is not a matter for your employer. All your employer cares about is that that information is indeed out in public, and is indeed negatively impacting their business. They are well with their rights to can your ass if that's what they choose to do.

If you still don't understand, perhaps you need a cartoon to help you out.

If you are indeed grown up, then you would understand that as an employee, you are a representative of your employer. Therefor, anything you do negatively, will also shed a negative light on your employer since they are associated with you. Regardless of how your employer obtained the information, they have the right to get rid of anything or anyone that might have a negative impact on their business.

How that information about you was obtained is not a matter for your employer. All your employer cares about is that that information is indeed out in public, and is indeed negatively impacting their business. They are well with their rights to can your ass if that's what they choose to do.

If you still don't understand, perhaps you need a cartoon to help you out.
I'm union *******. It damn near takes an act of congress to get fired from my place of employment,
Good try though.

This is going to get interesting this week we the owners vote.
From here.....
http://www.cbsnews.com/news/donald-...ure-to-be-subject-of-nba-team-owners-meeting/

"The next step is, is to get the owners to vote and to get him to sell the franchise."

And that's what Silver plans to do. He said in a press conference this week that the owners "have the authority subject to three-quarters vote to remove him as an owner."

That's 23 of the 30 teams in the NBA. When asked anonymously, 16 owners told the Associated Press they would vote in favor of forcing Sterling to sell the Clippers. Eight declined to reveal their position.

Dallas Mavericks owner Mark Cuban tweeted after the league's announcement that he agreed 100 percent with Silver's findings and actions. But on Monday, he expressed concerns about setting a precedent

"I think it's a slippery slope when you start trying to remove people from the NBA or any organization based off of their private thoughts that they have at home," he said.

The league's bylaws spell out exactly what will happen if Sterling's ownership rights are terminated: the commissioner will take control of the clippers, set a price and put the team up for sale. But one long-time NBA executive tells CBS News, "The league expects a fight on this."

And that fight could end up in federal court, says Gabe Feldman, the director of the Sports Law Program at Tulane University. He said, "The question is does his racism give the other owners the legal right to vote him out. And we don't know the answer to that yet."

My Opinion?....No

Last edited:
The part that I can't get past is the fact that everyone feels that is ok and just to punish an American because they disagree with his words. Many brave men died so that Americans could freely express themselves and now we seem to have a majority rallying together to hang someone for their opinion. Anyone that agrees with the NBA's decision is basically saying, "Either you say the things that we like or don't say anything at all. Or we will affect your livelihood. Think like us, or you will be punished."
****k that. Speak your mind whether anyone likes it or not. Or join the flock of ****king sheep.
Sterling is an a**hole. There is no law against being an a**hole. There's no law against not liking a specific demographic.

Back
Top Bottom