College Football 2019

giphy.gif

And... some late night home cooking as Oklahoma squeaks past TCU

Christ, I just can't anymore.

Oklahoma, Baylor, Utah, anyone, please.
I don’t think Alabama’s game against Auburn next week is a gimme though. Remember, they only scored 3 points against Mississippi St. after Tua went out, and you can’t really gauge anything from the Western Carolina game. If Bama does win that game though, I think the only thing that keeps them out of the playoff is if Georgia somehow beats LSU in the SECCG, in which case both of those teams would probably go.

I'm thinking it's on Utah or Minny to bounce Bama after their championship games, if Georgia doesn't pull it off. Both looked good on the road, Utah has style points and they're top 5 in the country in defense pts/allowed and yards per game, Zach Moss is one of the best runningbacks in college football, they're a better overall team than I originally thought. Rooting for 1 of those 2 now.

I'm thinking it's on Utah or Minny to bounce Bama after their championship games, if Georgia doesn't pull it off. Both looked good on the road, Utah has style points and they're top 5 in the country in defense pts/allowed and yards per game, Zach Moss is one of the best runningbacks in college football, they're a better overall team than I originally thought. Rooting for 1 of those 2 now.
If Minnesota wins out, that probably bounces Ohio State out of their spot rather than keeping Alabama out. I’m sure the committee would take a one loss non-conf. champ Alabama over a one loss non-conf. champ Ohio State. I just don’t see them taking two Big Ten teams. Utah however may be able to take Alabama’s spot if they win out.

I am really hoping Utah can win out. Colorado at home should be fine, but they are fighting for a bowl. But Utah hasn't stepped up in the P-12 title game yet.

If Minnesota wins out, that probably bounces Ohio State out of their spot rather than keeping Alabama out. I’m sure the committee would take a one loss non-conf. champ Alabama over a one loss non-conf. champ Ohio State. I just don’t see them taking two Big Ten teams. Utah however may be able to take Alabama’s spot if they win out.
Yep, Utah is basically the only hope against two SEC teams.

Hmmm ya I think it would be a tough decision for them at that point, 2 highly regarded programs with 1 loss. Depending on how Bama takes care of Auburn next weekend, and how Ohio State would lose to Minny... I don't see why Bama would automatically get the nod, sure they have the benefit of LSU being #1 best loss, but other than that what do they have? And that happened in their own stadium, not neutral site, the game was not close for a while either, add in all of their injuries. I don't see why we can have 2 from sec but not 2 from b1g, at that point it's conference winners for everyone but the sec (that ain't right imo). There's many different ways to look at it imo, but yeah I get committee preferences and biases. Eye test both are top 4 teams, I would pick Ohio State on a neutral site against Alabama right now though.

I don’t think Alabama’s game against Auburn next week is a gimme though. Remember, they only scored 3 points against Mississippi St. after Tua went out, and you can’t really gauge anything from the Western Carolina game. If Bama does win that game though, I think the only thing that keeps them out of the playoff is if Georgia somehow beats LSU in the SECCG, in which case both of those teams would probably go.
All of Auburn's three losses are close ones too. I don't think it'll get out of hand either way but I'm not sure I trust Bo Nix enough to beat a great team.

Something to keep in mind is that both times a non-division champ (2016 Ohio State and 2017 Alabama) got in under the CFP there were no other 1-loss P5 conference champs to "knock out" of the playoffs. Oklahoma was 10-2 and Penn State, even with the win over Ohio State, was 11-2 in 2016. Ohio State and USC were both 11-2 in 2017. Would they really have the stones to keep out a 12-1 PAC-12 or Big XII champ in favor of an 11-1 Alabama this time?

It's absolutely incredible the downfall of UCLA, the amount of pro coaches they've chewed through, and none of them can figure it out. If Urban is ever down for a challenge have at it.

It's absolutely incredible the downfall of UCLA, the amount of pro coaches they've chewed through, and none of them can figure it out. If Urban is ever down for a challenge have at it.

Kedon Slovis is really, really good. Hope he can stay healthy for USC. Makes you wonder where JT Daniels may want to transfer...

EKVrgn8WkAMbM9t.jpg

Ohio State jumping up to #1 is important because presuming they win both remaining games they'll stay there and manage to avoid Clemson in the semifinal. Committee made a big re-calibration on Baylor, moving them up five spots, which could make things interesting in a number of different scenarios.

Great Rivalry Week slate:

#19 Cinci @ #18 Memphis
#1 Ohio State @ #13 Michigan
#5 Alabama @ #15 Auburn
#12 Wisconsin @ #8 Minnesota
#7 Oklahoma @ #21 Oklahoma State

EKVrgn8WkAMbM9t.jpg

Ohio State jumping up to #1 is important because presuming they win both remaining games they'll stay there and manage to avoid Clemson in the semifinal. Committee made a big re-calibration on Baylor, moving them up five spots, which could make things interesting in a number of different scenarios.

#19 Cinci @ #18 Memphis
#5 Alabama @ #15 Auburn
If the playoff standings stay like this, Ohio State could be playing two QB transfer games...their QB Justin Fields was a transfer from Georgia, and LSU QB Joe Burrow was a transfer from Ohio State.

EKVrgn8WkAMbM9t.jpg

#19 Cinci @ #18 Memphis
#5 Alabama @ #15 Auburn

Watch Georgia beat LSU or Virginia Tech beat Clemson and Alabama sneak in then win it all.

Watch Georgia beat LSU or Virginia Tech beat Clemson and Alabama sneak in then win it all.

Not gonna happen. This is set up for Ohio State to win it all. No reason for them to jump LSU other than to set them up to play the weakest team in the top four so far, Clemson.

Not gonna happen. This is set up for Ohio State to win it all. No reason for them to jump LSU other than to set them up to play the weakest team in the top four so far, Clemson.

I mean Ohio State is obviously really good, but I don't get the leapfrog over LSU either, it's not like Ohio State blew Penn State out of the water, they were locked up in a tight game in their own stadium where a freshman QB entered the game and did well against them. LSU hasn't shown any cracks and continues to blowout their opponents, so what gives? Unless they think Ohio State's body of work schedule has been tougher than LSU's (which it hasn't)...I don't get it. Their toughest road opponent will be @Michigan this weekend, while LSU has already been @Bama and @Texas in non-conference.

If Georgia beats LSU, it’s probably those two both going instead of Georgia and Alabama. You’d have to take a one loss LSU over a one loss Alabama since LSU beat them head to head, and the committee isn’t leaving the SEC Champion out.

I mean Ohio State is obviously really good, but I don't get the leapfrog over LSU either, it's not like Ohio State blew Penn State out of the water, they were locked up in a tight game in their own stadium where a freshman QB entered the game and did well against them. LSU hasn't shown any cracks and continues to blowout their opponents, so what gives? Unless they think Ohio State's body of work schedule has been tougher than LSU's (which it hasn't)...I don't get it. Their toughest road opponent will be @Michigan this weekend, while LSU has already been @Bama and @Texas in non-conference.
Yeah, but besides Texas being Texas they pretty much suck.

LSU's defense is questionable at times (probably about as questionable as Georgia's offense is). Once Ohio State got another ranked win to match LSU's figure I can see why you could jump Ohio State on the premise of having both a similar resume and looking like a more complete team.

Back
Top Bottom