Cup RACE thread --- 600

What about all the arguments that drivers should not put themselves at risk of getting hurt because of the commitment to the fans and sponsors?
Sponsors aren't NASCAR. Sponsors pay the bills, including payroll.
NASACAR IS LITERALLY his JOB and he does everything else for fun and passion.
NASCAR is a sanctioning body that manages stock car racing. Larson's job is what he and Hendrick agree on. NASCAR has no say in it.

So he has no responsibility to the sport? What about all the arguments that drivers should not put themselves at risk of getting hurt because of the commitment to the fans and sponsors? Dude - If you agree with what he did that's cool but to say it's not his job is puzzling to me. NASACAR IS LITERALLY his JOB and he does everything else for fun and passion.
All you post about on this forum is how much Larson sucks. I’m sorry that he complains about things sometimes just like EVERY racing driver in the history of the world.

He made the right call to you and I totally respect that but he did bail. He made it clear his priority was the 500. If the 600 was his priority then he would have left Indy under the delay. I am glad if you enjoyed watching him in the 500 but you have to understand that others are pissed and they have every right to be. He made the right call for you and fans who agree with you and the right call for Kyle Laron but it was the wrong call for NASCAR and the fans who wanted to see him in the 600. Will the 600 be back next year? Of course...but so will the Indy 500. Maybe Kyle should have taken a lesson from Jimmie Johnson in waiting until he left NASCAR to try his hand an Indy. Especially since he says he does not see himself in NASCAR at 40. Either way, even if you personally agree with what he did and are happy about it you should also try to understand how it affects others and respect their opinion as well as it's totally valid to say what Kyle Larson did was bad for NASCAR and some fans are upset by it. I was totally a defender of Chase when he got hurt feeling that he should be allowed to do stuff like snowboarding on his free time but I did also feel a little let down that I invest so much of my time and money into NASCAR and did not get to see the driver I support. I had tickets to go to Richmond with my Nephew who is also a fan of Chase and it was a total let down because of Chase not being there but we still went and supported the sport.

All in all - I understand people don't agree with what I am saying but it's just how I feel. If others have no issue with it that's totally cool and I love hearing/seeing other's opinions as they are totally valid in their own right. In some cases, those opinions change my view some which is the main reason I come here. But no change on this issue. There is nothing anyone can to say to me to justify what Larson did here from the POV of NASCAR and the fans that wanted to see him in 600. Again though - if you are cool with it I totally respect that and am genuinely happy for you and if so I am not sure why you'd feel the need to respond to justify it. What I say should have no effect on you at all other than to say something like "yeah I get your point or at least understand you have the right to feel that way but I love what he did."
Well its a relief to know that you allow your favorite drivers to do stuff in their off time, if Chase runs the Indy 500 someday I hope he checks with you to get the go ahead. Lord almighty, the entitlement of some fans because you cheer for a guy by giving up 3 hours of your time on Sunday to watch a race or maybe buy a hat with their sponsor and number on it. I'm a 40 year old grown ass man, what these drivers ( who some are young enough now to be my kid) do outside of the race car, doesnt affect me in the slightest. No I dont get your point because I think of things through those lenses, if you feel let down by something someone you never even met nor doesnt even know your name then look inward.

It's not his job to make the best call for NASCAR.
100%…NASCAR kicked his butt out of a seat for a comment he made without any hesitation and that could have ruined his racing career for the rest of his life. Him, his wife and even his son worked their butts off the rest of that year to keep from going under. Fortunately this was something I was able to personally witness. NASCAR didn’t give a darn about Larson then, so why would Larson place NASCAR over himself in this situation?
Good grief!

100%…NASCAR kicked his butt out of a seat for a comment he made without any hesitation and that could have ruined his racing career for the rest of his life. Him, his wife and even his son worked their butts off the rest of that year to keep from going under. Fortunately this was something I was able to personally witness. NASCAR didn’t give a darn about Larson then, so why would Larson place NASCAR over himself in this situation?
Good grief!
I think he likes racing for Hendrick and Hendrick races in Nascar...and LeMans, and Indianapolis, and Sponsors his High Limit Sprint car series.

I think he likes racing for Hendrick and Hendrick races in Nascar...and LeMans, and Indianapolis, and Sponsors his High Limit Sprint car series.
Hendrick owns the Indy car Larson raced in the 500.

Bought it from McLaren.

Well its a relief to know that you allow your favorite drivers to do stuff in their off time, if Chase runs the Indy 500 someday I hope he checks with you to get the go ahead. Lord almighty, the entitlement of some fans because you cheer for a guy by giving up 3 hours of your time on Sunday to watch a race or maybe buy a hat with their sponsor and number on it. I'm a 40 year old grown ass man, what these drivers ( who some are young enough now to be my kid) do outside of the race car, doesnt affect me in the slightest. No I dont get your point because I think of things through those lenses, if you feel let down by something someone you never even met nor doesnt even know your name then look inward.
Dude - You still don't get it. Just agree to disagree and move on. Obviously no one would be checking with me and nothing I say even implies that. I am saying that drivers have a responsibility to all those who invest into the sport because that is where their livelihood comes from. When you are a face of the sport like a Kyle Larson or a Denny Hamlin or Chase Elliott you are getting a lot out of the sport and have a responsibility to that. Maybe if you are so bothered by the suggestion I am making that Larson let some of his fans and the sport down then you realize there is something to it. Bottom line - just in my lifetime I have seen far better drivers than Kyle Larson no matter how much his talent is talked about and none of them ever did anything like this. NASCAR's balls are now in a vice too in that no matter what they do as far as the waiver goes they are going to piss people off and if they do grant it now a precedent is set that you can choose to skip races and still make the playoffs. Very dangerous when it comes to keeping sponsors and fans invested in your product but I keep forgetting that Kyle Larson is special and should be treated as such.

In the grand scheme of things Larson missing the 600 and getting a waiver or not changes nothing in my life. It's really not worth getting your panties in a bunch about. I think he should have made the 600 his priority but in the end I don't really care that much. I have much more important things that impact my life to be concerned about. He can worry about his life and I will worry about mine.

Dude - You still don't get it. Just agree to disagree and move on. Obviously no one would be checking with me and nothing I say even implies that. I am saying that drivers have a responsibility to all those who invest into the sport because that is where their livelihood comes from. When you are a face of the sport like a Kyle Larson or a Denny Hamlin or Chase Elliott you are getting a lot out of the sport and have a responsibility to that. Maybe if you are so bothered by the suggestion I am making that Larson let some of his fans and the sport down then you realize there is something to it. Bottom line - just in my lifetime I have seen far better drivers than Kyle Larson no matter how much his talent is talked about and none of them ever did anything like this. NASCAR's balls are now in a vice too in that no matter what they do as far as the waiver goes they are going to piss people off and if they do grant it now a precedent is set that you can choose to skip races and still make the playoffs. Very dangerous when it comes to keeping sponsors and fans invested in your product but I keep forgetting that Kyle Larson is special and should be treated as such.
I don’t get it. At this point I’m not sure I want to

Good grief!
Victim. Got it. Good God. Larson screwed himself. NASCAR didn't do anything to him. The point is.....Can you imagine Michael Schumacher skipping a race with Ferrari in favor of running a WEC event or something? If you can, then you are at peace. If you can't, then you get the quandary Mr. Larson has created. Simple.

Victim. Got it. Good God. Larson screwed himself. NASCAR didn't do anything to him. The point is.....Can you imagine Michael Schumacher skipping a race with Ferrari in favor of running a WEC event or something? If you can, then you are at peace. If you can't, then you get the quandary Mr. Larson has created. Simple.
False equivalencies will never work.

False equivalencies will never work.
Larson's Resurrection Tour is now complete. He was a victim, and he came back to be the darling of the Memorial Day Weekend inclusive of a boo boo tweet an visualizations of his family walking the street looking for shelter. Queue the Rocky music. He made a decision. Some don't like it.

Larson's Resurrection Tour is now complete. He was a victim, and he came back to be the darling of the Memorial Day Weekend inclusive of a boo boo tweet an visualizations of his family walking the street looking for shelter. Queue the Rocky music. He made a decision. Some don't like it.
Next he will be trying to get a job driving a Yota, how the mighty have fallen lol.

I am not aware of anyone that is calling Larson a victim. Maybe there are a few freaks and oddball out there pushing that type of crap but they are essentially non-existent.

It is a really lame point to argue, as in desperation if not an outright fabrication

I am not aware of anyone that is calling Larson a victim. Maybe there are a few freaks and oddball out there pushing that type of crap but they are essentially non-existent.

It is a really lame point to argue, as in desperation if not an outright fabrication
I'm not aware of that either. But you can call him this.

I didn’t say that. He screwed up and dealt with the consequences. My point was NASCAR makes business decisions that are in NASCAR’s best interest. Any driver (heck, any employee) can and in my opinion, do the same.

I don’t get it. At this point I’m not sure I want to
It's not terribly complicated. You don't want to get it because you are in 100% support of Larson and I respect that. It is possible to still support him and understand that what he did was not great for the sport.

It's not terribly complicated. You don't want to get it because you are in 100% support of Larson and I respect that. It is possible to still support him and understand that what he did was not great for the sport.
See that’s where you’re wrong and you don’t understand. .... I was in 100% in support of what he did in running the 500 and think it brought new eyes to motorsports as a whole. I think with the way the economy is trending, a high tide lifts all boats in that Indy Car fans watching the 500 were watching one of stock car’s biggest stars run reasonably well all month and parts of the race until the speeding penalty. Larson fans who don’t watch Indycar were watching the 500 and IndyCar fans who dont watch NASCAR were watching one of the best in the sport race in their sport. The only thing not great for the sport is that were Circumstances not under his control. It's funny, it seems the only ones that have a problem with what Larson attempted last Sunday ( while also feeling let down) is those that cheer against him while also failing (greatly I might add)to see the bigger picture of what he did for motorsport. I also find it ironic that most Larson fans I've seen on socials have no problem with what happened on Sunday, understand the only reason he didnt make it was because of weather and also think its bad ass he raced an Indy Car....... those that dont see that are funny enough not fans of his while also telling his fans how to feel about this whole deal. So you might be right after all, its not terribly complicated.

See that’s where you’re wrong and you don’t understand. .... I was in 100% in support of what he did in running the 500 and think it brought new eyes to motorsports as a whole. I think with the way the economy is trending, a high tide lifts all boats in that Indy Car fans watching the 500 were watching one of stock car’s biggest stars run reasonably well all month and parts of the race until the speeding penalty. Larson fans who don’t watch Indycar were watching the 500 and IndyCar fans who dont watch NASCAR were watching one of the best in the sport race in their sport. The only thing not great for the sport is that were Circumstances not under his control. It's funny, it seems the only ones that have a problem with what Larson attempted last Sunday ( while also feeling let down) is those that cheer against him while also failing (greatly I might add)to see the bigger picture of what he did for motorsport. I also find it ironic that most Larson fans I've seen on socials have no problem with what happened on Sunday, understand the only reason he didnt make it was because of weather and also think its bad ass he raced an Indy Car....... those that dont see that are funny enough not fans of his while also telling his fans how to feel about this whole deal. So you might be right after all, its not terribly complicated.
I just don't see it. I think a NASCAR driver running the double is more likely to have NASCAR fans become interested in the Indy 500 but I don't see Indy fans going "hey that NASCAR guy did OK here...maybe we should give NASCAR a try." I also see plenty on X and other places where people claiming to be Larson fans are saying they are pissed. Also - Even if some Indy fans decided to give NASCAR a try, I feel like any of that positivity has been washed away by the position NASCAR is in now in if they should give him a waiver. The best thing NASCAR can do here is great the waiver with a big BUT "we are now going to re write the waiver rules clearly to state that if anyone voluntarily misses a race then no waiver will be granted." Either way, time to move on. I just wish NASCAR would make a decision already and I wish Kyle Larson would learn to be a better ambassador of the sport and not Kyle Larson. That's always been my issue with him. You can think I am rooting against him but that's really not the case. I lived thought Jimmie Johnson's dominance and was not a fan of his but never found myself rooting against him. With Jeff Gordon I only hated him in the early days when he was winning EVERYTHING and then I grew to respect him. They are also both relevant to my issue with Larson in that they were both better than him and I did not have to hear about it all the time expect the early days of Gordon's career.

I just don't see it. I think a NASCAR driver running the double is more likely to have NASCAR fans become interested in the Indy 500 but I don't see Indy fans going "hey that NASCAR guy did OK here...maybe we should give NASCAR a try." I also see plenty on X and other places where people claiming to be Larson fans are saying they are pissed. Also - Even if some Indy fans decided to give NASCAR a try, I feel like any of that positivity has been washed away by the position NASCAR is in now in if they should give him a waiver. The best thing NASCAR can do here is great the waiver with a big BUT "we are now going to re write the waiver rules clearly to state that if anyone voluntarily misses a race then no waiver will be granted." Either way, time to move on. I just wish NASCAR would make a decision already and I wish Kyle Larson would learn to be a better ambassador of the sport and not Kyle Larson. That's always been my issue with him. You can think I am rooting against him but that's really not the case. I lived thought Jimmie Johnson's dominance and was not a fan of his but never found myself rooting against him. With Jeff Gordon I only hated him in the early days when he was winning EVERYTHING and then I grew to respect him. They are also both relevant to my issue with Larson in that they were both better than him and I did not have to hear about it all the time expect the early days of Gordon's career.
Chase is such a great ambassador right? He’s come out and said all he wants to do is focus on things that make him faster on the track. He wants nothing to do with the Netflix show, media appearances or anything like that. He doesn’t even keep up with the news around the sport. He didn’t know Stenhouse got fined when asked about it. There’s nothing wrong with that either. Drivers are gonna be drivers and you can love or hate them, but to say Larson isn’t an ambassador for the sport while being a fan of maybe the most secluded driver is really funny.

Chase is such a great ambassador right? He’s come out and said all he wants to do is focus on things that make him faster on the track. He wants nothing to do with the Netflix show, media appearances or anything like that. He doesn’t even keep up with the news around the sport. He didn’t know Stenhouse got fined when asked about it. There’s nothing wrong with that either. Drivers are gonna be drivers and you can love or hate them, but to say Larson isn’t an ambassador for the sport while being a fan of maybe the most secluded driver is really funny.
I am the furthest thing from a Chase fan, but Ioved his statement about only caring about **** that makes him faster....and how does not giving a **** about the stupid drama hurt the sport? Frankly, I respect a guy that says NASCAR is so important that he does want to think about anything else....including other series. Michael Schumacher was this way. Senna was this way. The greatest to have ever held a steering wheel......

I am the furthest thing from a Chase fan, but Ioved his statement about only caring about **** that makes him faster....and how does not giving a **** about the stupid drama hurt the sport? Frankly, I respect a guy that says NASCAR is so important that he does want to think about anything else....including other series. Michael Schumacher was this way. Senna was this way. The greatest to have ever held a steering wheel......
And like I said it’s ok that he is that way, just like it’s ok that Denny Hamlin is a complete ass, as long as he’s true to himself. At least he has a podcast, is a team owner, and makes himself available for things like the Netflix show. There’s no arguing that the sport’s most popular driver wanting nothing to do with showing himself to the fans hurts the sport, though. What is Chase doing to grow the sport?

Just the fact you think Jimmie is better natural talent than Larson is pretty hilarious. Jeff vs Kyle would be pretty sick but yeah I think we’re just going to have to move on here we just don’t agree with each other at all. It happens.

Being a long time fan I am sure you do realize the "sport" is auto racing not NASCAR racing. Your comments are all over the place. Not sure if you are human or a bot.

Just the fact you think Jimmie is better natural talent than Larson is pretty hilarious. Jeff vs Kyle would be pretty sick but yeah I think we’re just going to have to move on here we just don’t agree with each other at all. It happens.
Jimmies not a huge natural talent? From dirt bikes to Baja to stadium trucks, to NASCAR the man kept winning. If he tried Indy in his 20s or 30s I'm sure he would have been quite successful there as well.

Chase Fan 79 said:
Being a long time fan I am sure you do realize the "sport" is auto racing not NASCAR racing. Your comments are all over the place. Not sure if you are human or a bot.
What DIDIT said. Larson is a race car driver, not a "NASCAR driver". Yes, he races NASCAR and he earns the big money with NASCAR, but he also races Sprint Cars, Midgets, Late Models, Silver Crown, was racing them long before NASCAR and has continued racing in those divisions while also competing in NASCAR. Larson considers himself a race car driver. I grew up watching all forms of racing for about 50 years now, dirt races at Ascot park in Calif, drags at Orange County raceway, Indy cars at California Speedway and Long Beach, NASCAR at Riverside. There just hasn't been that many drivers that have the ability that Larson has to perform well and win in every type of race car he tries. So I'm an auto racing fan, a Larson fan, and then a NASCAR fan. On Sunday I was hoping he would stay and race the Indy 500, even if he missed the 600. And I loved every minute of it, well except when he came into the pits a little too hot and got the penalty. But even with that mistake, and then also having 600 rained out before he could get in the car, it was incredibly fun to watch, and I hope he does it next year. You don't want to don't get it because you are a NASCAR fan. I think the people that are irritated are either die hard NASCAR fans and/or don't like Larson, and the people that wanted him to stay at Indy are auto racing fans.

One of the first signs of not having no argument is to go on the offensive and try to attack another issue but I'll bite. Once upon a time there was another guy with the last name Elliott that did not want to be involved in any of that stuff either and you'd be hard pressed to find a guy that kept fans coming back to NASCAR as long as he did. I always respected that Bill did not want to deal with any of that stuff because he wanted to focus on the car. But to make an argument that Kyle Larson skipping out on one of the biggest races of the year to run another series is in the same vein as Chase not wanting to do a Netflix show is comical to me. I as a fan LOVE that Chase just wants to have speed and win NASCAR races and I think he understands how important that is to NASCAR where maybe some other guys don't. I won't mention names. LOL

Jimmies not a huge natural talent? From dirt bikes to Baja to stadium trucks, to NASCAR the man kept winning. If he tried Indy in his 20s or 30s I'm sure he would have been quite successful there as well.
Oh and there we go again with the immeasurable "natural talent" argument. Even if you're right (which I am not conceding) JJ did more with the talent he has than Larson has done and regardless of this "natural talent" argument that oh so many Larson fans love to fall back on, no one EVER has won more titles that Jimmie Johnson and he did it in an era FAR more competitive than that of those who have as many as him and he was a PERFECT ambassador of the sport.

That's your opinion. There are no rules on what people focus on and what they don't. If this was an accurate statement then every form of auto racing would have the same following and make the same money and have the same popularity....let me research and see if that's the case...................................................................................................................................................................................NOPE.

Seriously though, I respect all forms of racing and pay casual attention to all of them but for me personally NASCAR gets most of my attention and it's still the top form of racing in the US and it's interesting of late to hear guys Like Carl Edward from a driver's standpoint and Tony Stewart from an owner's standpoint talk about the dedication the sport takes at the same time Larson skipped out on a crown jewel race.

Back
Top Bottom