Cup RACE thread --- 600

I'm pretty sure the rumors will fly. Pick one. You know nobody in either camp will spill the beans, Hamlin, DBC, stacking pennies and JR will all have their stories to cater to their crowds. If would be nice for either Nascar OR Fox to man up and tell us what was really the deal but they won't.
We all have radar so rain in the area and was coming won't work, so what really was the reason?
They wanted US to win. Duh.

If Fox did end the festivities last night prematurely, all you can say is that sucks. But I’ll be naive and choose to go with you had security personnel there at what could be 2-3 am ET. Track personnel as well as volunteers… Maybe they shouldn’t be there that late.

Including the start time for a driver to airrive? They were willing to do that....
I an not sure what information you are referring too. The World 600 has started after 6pm for many years now going back to the days when John Andretti, Tony Stewart, and more recently, for the Kurt Busch double.

It was only moved to starting late in the day after they installed the lights in 1992. It was not originally changed for drivers to do the double.
I used to go the 600 every rear and I remember Gordon getting first cup win in 94 at the 600 that finished at night.

We watched the 500 on a small TV in the parking lot before going on to the track grounds and gates several hours before those 600s started.

^ The lights installed in 92 for the All Star race, the 600 was still a day time race that year. They were doing the 600 starts in the later afternoon hours at least by 1994.

Death to the waiver....and the BS surrounding Toyota's first Driver Champion in 2015.
LOL. I am all for the waiver if it is because of injury or some extreme circumstance. And to be clear - since everyone thinks I hate Larson - I hope he gets the waiver if that has not been decided yet but I do understand the argument against it.

LOL. I am all for the waiver if it is because of injury or some extreme circumstance. And to be clear - since everyone thinks I hate Larson - I hope he gets the waiver if that has not been decided yet but I do understand the argument against it.
I think that if you don't grant him the waiver, you take away the perennial favorite to win the Championship. Can't do that. So, bag the waiver. Come when you want. Better be careful here....didn't Larson say something about the money he could make on dirt? Maybe he runs a hybrid schedule someday.

I’m so close to ordering a Hocevar shirt. Kid is talented, has grown up a lot and is funny as hell.
Give up on Rowdy did ya? That was quick. His owner is jacked up man....shared some hair dye with the orange guy.

I’m so close to ordering a Hocevar shirt. Kid is talented, has grown up a lot and is funn

I think that if you don't grant him the waiver, you take away the perennial favorite to win the Championship. Can't do that. So, bag the waiver. Come when you want. Better be careful here....didn't Larson say something about the money he could make on dirt? Maybe he runs a hybrid schedule someday.
See that's what annoys me about Larson right there. If you want to run dirt and can supposedly make more money for your time then go do it. He just rubs me the wrong way and he did not do that great at Indy but no one's taking about that. He causes all this controversy by bailing on the 600 and he just comes across like "I'm so good I should be able to do what I want" and I have issue with that. There have plenty of drivers in NASCAR as good or better than him who don't display this attitude and seem to have more respect for the fact that they can make a real name here and there are fans and sponsors and teams that invest everything in this. I know it's not likely any of his fans will publicly say that they were not happy about it but I think if it were Chase I would be a little let down. I still remember all the crap Chase got from some for GETTING HURT and not being able to race but some of those are probably the same people who will defend Larson for basically skipping a crown jewel event of the sport.

See that's what annoys me about Larson right there. If you want to run dirt and can supposedly make more money for your time then go do it. He just rubs me the wrong way and he did not do that great at Indy but no one's taking about that. He causes all this controversy by bailing on the 600 and he just comes across like "I'm so good I should be able to do what I want" and I have issue with that. There have plenty of drivers in NASCAR as good or better than him who don't display this attitude and seem to have more respect for the fact that they can make a real name here and there are fans and sponsors and teams that invest everything in this. I know it's not likely any of his fans will publicly say that they were not happy about it but I think if it were Chase I would be a little let down. I still remember all the crap Chase got from some for GETTING HURT and not being able to race but some of those are probably the same people who will defend Larson for basically skipping a crown jewel event of the sport.

What are you even talking about? I think you're living in fantasy land

he did not do that great at Indy but no one's taking about that.
He was top seven most of the day. He committed a speeding penalty on the day's first green flag pit cycle. He said BEFORE the race that he was concerned with green flag stops since there had been no opportunity to practice them.
He causes all this controversy by bailing on the 600
I'm not sure how you define 'bailing', since the plan all along was for him to run the entire race.
he just comes across like "I'm so good I should be able to do what I want"
Okay, that's your interpretation. You're as entitled to an opinion as anyone else.

Give up on Rowdy did ya? That was quick. His owner is jacked up man....shared some hair dye with the orange guy.
No, I’m a Chevy fan in general. I have a few top favorites. (5, 8, 9, 48) Check the badge on the front of the 77.

I still remember all the crap Chase got from some for GETTING HURT and not being able to race but some of those are probably the same people who will defend Larson for basically skipping a crown jewel event of the sport.

Yo … fanboi … do you still remember Chase being granted a waiver after missing a race because he was suspended for dirty driving?

Selective memory. Embarrassing.

Larson already is. He's a co-owner in High Limit Sprint Car Series.

This post has to be either a troll post or a jealousy motivated post. 😃

Making things up to justify still being mad about Watkins Glen 2022
But I am not making anything up - Just saying how I feel and the way he comes across to me and pointing out that regardless of the respect I have for his abilities it's just again not a good look for the sport. Also - if you read other stuff out there, there's plenty of people - Larson fans included - who are pretty pissed. None of the following is made up:

Chastain pulls the wall move at Martinsville and when all eyes are on the sport Kyle Larson complains on national TV about it after he had done same at Darlington.
The tire fiasco at Bristol that caused excitement and buzz - Larson complains about it and tries to retcon his statement later
Larason gets beat at Dover and then instantly complains about how easy it is to block now
Larson - who is a face of the sport - opts to skip the Coca-Cola 600 to run the Indy 500

You can interpret and spin these things how you want but to me there is a sense of arrogance. He does not get out of the car and complain after winning the most boring race ever. This may be my interpretation but that does not make it fantasy and just vaguely saying that reeks of having no real rebuttal.

Even the most die-hard Larson fan should be able to admit he made the wrong call for NASCAR this weekend. Maybe he made the right call for Kyle Larson but not NASCAR. There was so much controversy when Chase got hurt last year and people complaining he let the sport and his fans down when he had an accident. Yes - Larson "bailed" on the 600 no matter how you slice it. He had to choose one or the other and he chose Indy when he is a face of NASCAR and that is supposed to be his priority based on the commitment others have made to him.

All this said - I still hope he gets a waiver. He's a great driver and the sport is better with him in it. I just with he'd stop being so much about Kyle Larson and understand the level of commitment others are putting into him.

But I am not making anything up - Just saying how I feel and the way he comes across to me and pointing out that regardless of the respect I have for his abilities it's just again not a good look for the sport. Also - if you read other stuff out there, there's plenty of people - Larson fans included - who are pretty pissed. None of the following is made up:

Chastain pulls the wall move at Martinsville and when all eyes are on the sport Kyle Larson complains on national TV about it after he had done same at Darlington.
The tire fiasco at Bristol that caused excitement and buzz - Larson complains about it and tries to retcon his statement later
Larason gets beat at Dover and then instantly complains about how easy it is to block now
Larson - who is a face of the sport - opts to skip the Coca-Cola 600 to run the Indy 500

You can interpret and spin these things how you want but to me there is a sense of arrogance. He does not get out of the car and complain after winning the most boring race ever. This may be my interpretation but that does not make it fantasy and just vaguely saying that reeks of having no real rebuttal.

Even the most die-hard Larson fan should be able to admit he made the wrong call for NASCAR this weekend. Maybe he made the right call for Kyle Larson but not NASCAR. There was so much controversy when Chase got hurt last year and people complaining he let the sport and his fans down when he had an accident. Yes - Larson "bailed" on the 600 no matter how you slice it. He had to choose one or the other and he chose Indy when he is a face of NASCAR and that is supposed to be his priority based on the commitment others have made to him.

All this said - I still hope he gets a waiver. He's a great driver and the sport is better with him in it. I just with he'd stop being so much about Kyle Larson and understand the level of commitment others are putting into him.
Fair post IMO, but you have to understand that the Larson wave is pretty strong here. I'm pissed that Larson wasn't in the 600 because he is the standard, and I want to beat the best. It looks promising that he will be in attendance from this point forward unless he has another scheduling conflict, so we are good to go. NASCAR needs to swallow hard, and grant him the waiver so that he can make it to Phoenix if his schedule allows for the Championship because, again, to be the best, you have to beat the best, and like it or not, he is the best. I appreciate every time Kyle takes to a NASCAR track. I know how busy he is.

What are you even talking about? I think you're living in fantasy land
He lost me when he said “he didn’t do that great at Indy” yeah you probably weren’t even watching the race, let alone the month of May and just looked at the results on Sunday.

He didn’t make wrong call. It was insanely awesome to see him run the Indy 500, something I wish my childhood hero Jeff Gordon could have done. All the younger Larson fans got to see their hero run this race. The Coca Cola 600 will be back next year, it’s okay. As for you keep saying he bailed….he didn’t bail. Weather caused the issues that caused him to BE LATE FOR THE RACE THAT ULTIMATELY GOT CANCELLED. He made every every effort of trying to get in that car. Did you watch either race? I’ll post some tweets here….really looks like the kind of guy who is bailing and is like “you know what Justin, you got this. I’ll see you all in Gateway next week”

True. Wonder what he will do when he has a conflict. Kyle will have us on the edge of our seats.....again.
He had one last night. He was scheduled to do a High Limit race at Grandview, but Cliff Daniels had him scheduled for a tire test at Iowa. Everybody including myself would have rather seen him race at Grandview but Nascar is the priority.

He had one last night. He was scheduled to do a High Limit race at Grandview, but Cliff Daniels had him scheduled for a tire test at Iowa.
Wow. Can't get him to the races, but he will test? Not even Sr. was willing to do that. Newfound commitment. I like it.

Wow. Can't get him to the races, but he will test? Not even Sr. was willing to do that. Newfound commitment. I like it.
We all don't live in a rice bowl. Many of us follow many forms of racing not jus Ti-Yoter cup racing.

He had one last night. He was scheduled to do a High Limit race at Grandview, but Cliff Daniels had him scheduled for a tire test at Iowa. Everybody including myself would have rather seen him race at Grandview but Nascar is the priority.
Damn! I would’ve loved to have seen him at Grandview last night, I live 10 minutes away.

He didn’t make wrong call. It was insanely awesome to see him run the Indy 500, something I wish my childhood hero Jeff Gordon could have done. All the younger Larson fans got to see their hero run this race. The Coca Cola 600 will be back next year, it’s okay. As for you keep saying he bailed….he didn’t bail. Weather caused the issues that caused him to BE LATE FOR THE RACE THAT ULTIMATELY GOT CANCELLED. He made every every effort of trying to get in that car. Did you watch either race? I’ll post some tweets here….really looks like the kind of guy who is bailing and is like “you know what Justin, you got this. I’ll see you all in Gateway next week”

He made the right call to you and I totally respect that but he did bail. He made it clear his priority was the 500. If the 600 was his priority then he would have left Indy under the delay. I am glad if you enjoyed watching him in the 500 but you have to understand that others are pissed and they have every right to be. He made the right call for you and fans who agree with you and the right call for Kyle Laron but it was the wrong call for NASCAR and the fans who wanted to see him in the 600. Will the 600 be back next year? Of course...but so will the Indy 500. Maybe Kyle should have taken a lesson from Jimmie Johnson in waiting until he left NASCAR to try his hand an Indy. Especially since he says he does not see himself in NASCAR at 40. Either way, even if you personally agree with what he did and are happy about it you should also try to understand how it affects others and respect their opinion as well as it's totally valid to say what Kyle Larson did was bad for NASCAR and some fans are upset by it. I was totally a defender of Chase when he got hurt feeling that he should be allowed to do stuff like snowboarding on his free time but I did also feel a little let down that I invest so much of my time and money into NASCAR and did not get to see the driver I support. I had tickets to go to Richmond with my Nephew who is also a fan of Chase and it was a total let down because of Chase not being there but we still went and supported the sport.

All in all - I understand people don't agree with what I am saying but it's just how I feel. If others have no issue with it that's totally cool and I love hearing/seeing other's opinions as they are totally valid in their own right. In some cases, those opinions change my view some which is the main reason I come here. But no change on this issue. There is nothing anyone can to say to me to justify what Larson did here from the POV of NASCAR and the fans that wanted to see him in 600. Again though - if you are cool with it I totally respect that and am genuinely happy for you and if so I am not sure why you'd feel the need to respond to justify it. What I say should have no effect on you at all other than to say something like "yeah I get your point or at least understand you have the right to feel that way but I love what he did."

He lost me when he said “he didn’t do that great at Indy” yeah you probably weren’t even watching the race, let alone the month of May and just looked at the results on Sunday.
You are misinterpreting the statement "not that great." saying not that great means he did OK but was the result really worth all this? He's your driver and if you support what he did I respect that....But if it was Chase I'd be PISSED. I'd get over it eventually out of loyalty but I would understand the naysayers have a point.

Fair post IMO, but you have to understand that the Larson wave is pretty strong here. I'm pissed that Larson wasn't in the 600 because he is the standard, and I want to beat the best. It looks promising that he will be in attendance from this point forward unless he has another scheduling conflict, so we are good to go. NASCAR needs to swallow hard, and grant him the waiver so that he can make it to Phoenix if his schedule allows for the Championship because, again, to be the best, you have to beat the best, and like it or not, he is the best. I appreciate every time Kyle takes to a NASCAR track. I know how busy he is.
I never worry about the wave bro. Will always call it how I see it and say why. If people disagree I am genuinely interested to hear their POV but all I am seeing is that his fans will defend him with no reason to other than they like him and any suggestion that what he did was wrong for NASCAR is "fantasy." LOL I will do the same even if it's my driver which others seem to struggle with. I have a different attitude too in that if Larson is going to keep making the comments he makes and doing the things he does as noted above then to me it's peace out. If you are not happy with tires, cameras, blocking and so on and you'd rather run other stuff then go do it and let someone else have that ride that will care more about the sport and the fans as well as the teams and sponsors that support them. I have supported the sport for almost 35 years now and will continue to do so and if Chase did same I'd call him out for it too.

It's not his job to make the best call for NASCAR.
So he has no responsibility to the sport? What about all the arguments that drivers should not put themselves at risk of getting hurt because of the commitment to the fans and sponsors? Dude - If you agree with what he did that's cool but to say it's not his job is puzzling to me. NASACAR IS LITERALLY his JOB and he does everything else for fun and passion.

Back
Top Bottom