Cup RACE thread --- COTA

....and that strategy was dictated by the fact that Bell had a win, and wanted the Playoff point. In all honesty, Byron's strategy was just a bit better as he was in the same boat as Bell, but got the 5 Playoff points at the end of the day. This is a strategy that I have seen Adam use before (Sonoma, 2019), and again he came up a bit short with it....but so close. Fascinating stuff.
I guess you can call it strategy. Bell was about 7th or so when the first stage was ending. Everybody in front of him came into the pits 2 laps before the end of stage one including the leader 24. Bell stayed out, and took the points. It put him even farther behind and was a losing strategy, but good enough for second place.

I listened to the finish of the race on the radio and went back and watched it on the DVR. Not shocking radio made it sound like the #20 was just about rubbing the bumper on the #24, while TV showed it was never really that close

Byron deserved it. No question.
Is anyone trying to suggest Byron didn't deserve it? That would be ridiculous really. Regardless of any opinion that Bell had a faster car the 24 had the best combination of car and team execution so the win is well-deserved to all on the 24 team.

I listened to the finish of the race on the radio and went back and watched it on the DVR. Not shocking radio made it sound like the #20 was just about rubbing the bumper on the #24, while TV showed it was never really that close
Yeah - Bell was closing in but it really was never in doubt. Maybe with a few more laps but it was not in question.

It was that way at last year's Roval. I switched to radio feed on scanner for closing laps, and they made it sound like Byron was right on AJ's butt. He was not anywhere close, and was actually losing touch with him.

I mean, you do understand what Adam was doing with winning Stage 1, right. Tell me you understand that. Tell me that you understand that given that disadvantage Bell took the best car, and damn near won anyway. You do understand this right? And you do understand that you don't have to have the best car to win, right?
Can you understand this? Tell me you can.

Track limit penalties are tough especially with a place like the COTA's design. But I think Nascar goes with the zero tolerance approach because it is the most consistent way for RC to manage the race.

Anything else becomes a slippery slope with all of the disputes and favoritism accusations.

Byron has been great, but calling him the best driver in the sport may be peak racing-forum hot takes. When he wins TWO championships (nvm one) we can have that conversation

Until then, all things equal, talent, race smarts, execution, it's still Logano.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Byron has been great, but calling him the best driver in the sport may be peak racing-forum hot takes. When he wins TWO championships (nvm one) we can have that conversation

Until then, all things equal, talent, race smarts, execution, it's still Logano.

Right now, it's Byron & not close. Logano looks like a shell of his former self.

Winning a championship tells me the driver, the cars performance, and the crew were pretty good a substantial amount of that season. But not winning a championship doesn’t tell me diddly squat about how good a driver is, because there are so many things that is out of the drivers control that can keep him from being crowned champion at the end of the year.

Given this format championships mean nothing in the determination of the best driver in the sport. All it means is they figured out how to run well at the last race of the season.

Given this format championships mean nothing in the determination of the best driver in the sport. All it means is they figured out how to run well at the last race of the season.
BS.

Right now, it's Byron & not close. Logano looks like a shell of his former self.
Wait, what? Byron the best, and it's not close? What?

I mean, it doesn't exactly tell you who the best is all the time, sometimes it's just who got hot at the right moment. Like even as a Chase fan, in no way was he the best in 2020. Now in 2022, he was the best, and just had some bad luck at the end that cost him, it happens. But I wasn't that mad about it because I'm like well he probably shouldn't have won it in 2020, it happens. Now, when Larson won, he was 100% the best driver that year, just went balls to the wall and kicked everyone's ass. Sometimes the best wins, sometimes the one who gets hot wins. I personally don't like that, because I don't need it like other sports, but it is what it is. At this point I just care more about the races weekly.

I don't care how great Logano is, the Fords are a disaster.

I don't need it like other sports, but it is what it is.
Fair point.....and neither do I, but given that NASCAR wants it to be like other sports, the system is just fine. I respect the fans who want the overall season points winner, but if a fan can get let go of that for a moment, there is something incredibly awesome about the Round of 4.....four teams that are forced to operate at the highest level, and the one that does it the best is your champion. Sure, elements of stick and ball, but kind of cool in its own right as well. I have thoroughly enjoyed the two championships that I have attended.

I don't care how great Logano is, the Fords are a disaster.
So, spare the me our usual snarky stuff because I am asking this in a very honest way......Why? Why, in your opinion, are the Fords a disaster? I agree with you, but why in this so in the Next Gen era? Is this a design issue? If so, how could that be with the shared wind tunnel data? Is this an engineering/set up issue? If so, how could they have such ****** talent after winning two consecutive championships. I am honestly at a loss with that bunch....

So, spare the me our usual snarky stuff because I am asking this in a very honest way......Why? Why, in your opinion, are the Fords a disaster? I agree with you, but why in this so in the Next Gen era? Is this a design issue? If so, how could that be with the shared wind tunnel data? Is this an engineering/set up issue? If so, how could they have such ****** talent after winning two consecutive championships. I am honestly at a loss with that bunch....
Ya got me. I just know it isn't the drivers fault. Every team can't be missing the setups.

Look at the Fords best lap in the race. The top 7 cars all were faster.

1711639946883.png

Fair point.....and neither do I, but given that NASCAR wants it to be like other sports, the system is just fine. I respect the fans who want the overall season points winner, but if a fan can get let go of that for a moment, there is something incredibly awesome about the Round of 4.....four teams that are forced to operate at the highest level, and the one that does it the best is your champion. Sure, elements of stick and ball, but kind of cool in its own right as well. I have thoroughly enjoyed the two championships that I have attended.
Now, just picture how awesome it would be if something like that just happened naturally, where the season just played out to a point where you have 2, or 3, or maybe 4 people just happen to come into the final race with a chance to win the championship, and it happened naturally. That would imo feel more special than a forced Game 7 moment.

I mean, it doesn't exactly tell you who the best is all the time, sometimes it's just who got hot at the right moment. Like even as a Chase fan, in no way was he the best in 2020. Now in 2022, he was the best, and just had some bad luck at the end that cost him, it happens. But I wasn't that mad about it because I'm like well he probably shouldn't have won it in 2020, it happens. Now, when Larson won, he was 100% the best driver that year, just went balls to the wall and kicked everyone's ass. Sometimes the best wins, sometimes the one who gets hot wins. I personally don't like that, because I don't need it like other sports, but it is what it is. At this point I just care more about the races weekly.
Way too much common sense in that post. Chase's 2020 was a perfect example of a driver/team that got hot at the end. He won 3 of the last 5 races to secure that title. They were so good at the end of Martinsville that he drove away from the rest of the field by like a half a lap I think. 2022 was overall his best year but interestingly enough the end of that year is when you saw a glimpse of the performance falling off. Even more strange is that I saw an interview with Chase where he putting most of this on himself (shocker there I know) saying it's about him learning how to drive the new car in a different way. 2022 he started off on fire and crushed the regular season title with the new car though so that just does not add up to me. Seems they hit it best to start but maybe that made them complacent and other teams figured stuff out. Just a thought.

Way too much common sense in that post. Chase's 2020 was a perfect example of a driver/team that got hot at the end. He won 3 of the last 5 races to secure that title. They were so good at the end of Martinsville that he drove away from the rest of the field by like a half a lap I think. 2022 was overall his best year but interestingly enough the end of that year is when you saw a glimpse of the performance falling off. Even more strange is that I saw an interview with Chase where he putting most of this on himself (shocker there I know) saying it's about him learning how to drive the new car in a different way. 2022 he started off on fire and crushed the regular season title with the new car though so that just does not add up to me. Seems they hit it best to start but maybe that made them complacent and other teams figured stuff out. Just a thought.
Chase said he was good in the new car because until everyone figured it out he was getting away with driving the new car the same way he drove the old one. Now he needs to change the way he drives in order to keep up

Was listening to Stacking Pennies and SVG was on there saying he lost 1st gear, which explains why he dropped so bad. Guess there's a few 1st gear corners and he was giving up like 10 car length on exit

Logano's opinion on why the Fords are off. Down on HP among other things.

They restrict them on hp numbers, but do they mandate torque numbers

Chase said he was good in the new car because until everyone figured it out he was getting away with driving the new car the same way he drove the old one. Now he needs to change the way he drives in order to keep up
yeah I just watched that interview and I guess it makes sense. I'm not sure whether to be encouraged or discouraged though. If this car does not suit his driving style I am not sure there will be a lot he can do to get the feel he is looking for. There is data available to him on how all other drivers are doing it so I am afraid he's just not comfortable with it and it's going to be a long road. He seems to have made some small gains but still pretty far from where he needs to be overall. I will give credit where due for him owning it and being open to discussing it.

yeah I just watched that interview and I guess it makes sense. I'm not sure whether to be encouraged or discouraged though. If this car does not suit his driving style I am not sure there will be a lot he can do to get the feel he is looking for. There is data available to him on how all other drivers are doing it so I am afraid he's just not comfortable with it and it's going to be a long road. He seems to have made some small gains but still pretty far from where he needs to be overall. I will give credit where due for him owning it and being open to discussing it.
Reminds me a lot of Dale Jr with the COT. Had some success early and then fell way behind.

Was listening to Stacking Pennies and SVG was on there saying he lost 1st gear, which explains why he dropped so bad. Guess there's a few 1st gear corners and he was giving up like 10 car length on exit
Yeah he was in the hunt for a top 10 until then. In a Kaulig car who have struggled all year. Dude’s a force on the road courses, and is running pretty well on ovals too.

Back
Top Bottom