Cup RACE thread --- Darlington

IMG_8295.jpeg
Pain in the chat for Buescher, Bubba , Chastain, and Busch…

While the gerbils were constantly yapping about win less Bush, there has never been a disparaging word about the seasons Truex or Gibbs were having. Depending on which points tally you look at, there is some confusion. Here is Jayski's unofficial guess by Nascar statistics..
1725284873600.png

Reactions: Pat
Can't blame Larson losing the regular season title on the 600 now.

If the 41 got a better launch on the last restart, the 20 stays behind him, he finishes p3, and it's wrapped..

If he doesn't nose it at Chicago, he wins by 30. If he doesn't wreck himself at Iowa and Michigan, he wins by 30 today. At this point, Larson has made so many mistakes that were a lot more fixable than gaming the weather.

But to spot the field a race, and wreck himself out of 3 the last 9 or so races, and lose by 1 point?

5 team is in a class of their own this season. It's a damn shame they haven't figured out Phoenix yet.

Now look up three spots to the fudged up all new points and here we go again lol. Reddick is now 3rd, Buescher goes from 11th to 17th for example.

I don't have time to watch everything I want to, but I caught the last 20 laps last night and it was really good. I kind of feel bad for Bush and was hoping he could pull it off, but he gave it a good shot and I was ok with the result because I like Brisco too.

Now the fun begins. I always try to catch some of the playoffs because the rubbin', racin', wrecking, paybacks, and payback on the paybacks are so much fun. A lot of people don't like the playoff format, but it compresses the championship down enough to where I have time to watch it. That and I love the desperation. Damm it was bad to see how upset Bubba was, but seeing all that emotion is part of why we watch.

It's so mickey mouse, it's comical IMO.

People that tweet this crap believe it’s really a big deal Larson didn’t win the regular season championship. He’s had one of the 3 fastest cars all year, if he doesn’t make any stupid moves on track and his team performs on pit road like they have all year he’s going to be just fine. There’s literally 2 tracks in each round he can win at, I’ll take those odds over some gimmick participation trophy. The only thing that worries me him going for championship #2 is well…sometimes he makes head scratching moves that don’t work out sometimes and you’re like “oh no”.

People that tweet this crap believe it’s really a big deal Larson didn’t win the regular season championship. He’s had one of the 3 fastest cars all year, if he doesn’t make any stupid moves on track and his team performs on pit road like they have all year he’s going to be just fine. There’s literally 2 tracks in each round he can win at, I’ll take those odds over some gimmick participation trophy. The only thing that worries me him going for championship #2 is well…sometimes he makes head scratching moves that don’t work out sometimes and you’re like “oh no”.
It's a statement of fact, are you having a hard time with that? The point was to look up three or 4 posts and see how the points have changed lol. Abra cadabera, Reddick the points champion is now in 3rd place.

I'm almost to the point of rooting for Larson to be champ, just to hear how the Double haters will justify their position that missing Charlotte cost him the title.

Its still up in the air as to it costing him the title, but it certainly cost him the regular season points title.

I'm almost to the point of rooting for Larson to be champ, just to hear how the Double haters will justify their position that missing Charlotte cost him the title.
What is the comical part to me is that you would expect that the regular season Champion to have the best record of points right? Reddick won with the most points...but don't look at the wins, stage points or playoff points.
Then we go to the reset. Again don't look at the wins the stage points etc. Now Reddick is in third BUT he is only 12 points behind first? Nothing has changed in that area but the playoff points added for the regular season, 15 for Reddick and 10 for Larson. With a wink and a mirror here we go lol.
1725295702665.png

Its still up in the air as to it costing him the title, but it certainly cost him the regular season points title.
Sadly, the regular season title is almost irrelevant. It only gives five more points than coming in second for the season. It doesn't do enough to give the winner a significant advantage in the playoffs. Is there even a cash bonus?

There are several changes that could be made to give it more value, starting with a free pass to Phoenix or a 25-point bonus. Until then, I don't see it as a significant accomplishment.

What is the comical part to me is that you would expect that the regular season Champion to have the best record of points right? Reddick won with the most points...but don't look at the wins, stage points or playoff points.
Then we go to the reset. Again don't look at the wins the stage points etc. Now Reddick is in third BUT he is only 12 points behind first? Nothing has changed in that area but the playoff points added for the regular season, 15 for Reddick and 10 for Larson. With a wink and a mirror here we go lol.

Heard ya the first three times . . .

Sadly, the regular season title is almost irrelevant. It only gives five more points than coming in second for the season. It doesn't do enough to give the winner a significant advantage in the playoffs. Is there even a cash bonus?

There are several changes that could be made to give it more value, starting with a free pass to Phoenix or a 25-point bonus. Until then, I don't see it as a significant accomplishment.

5 playoff points is not insignificant. It's the same you get for winning a race. And the race that Larson missed had the potential to earn him 8 playoff points on top of the 5 he would have gotten over 2nd place in points.

Larson scored more playoff points with two stage wins and second for the season than Reddick did for winning the season. It's nothing but another band aid IMO. People thinks this means something? Not much IMO. What is more B.S. is that Reddick is 12 points out in the hoopty doodle reset. He was at the top of the points, now he is third?

5 playoff points is not insignificant. It's the same you get for winning a race.
That's one reason I said insignificant. Winning the season should pay more than winning a single race. It should give the winner a guaranteed lead over the competition, an advantage throughout the playoffs.
And the race that Larson missed had the potential to earn him 8 playoff points on top of the 5 he would have gotten over 2nd place in points.
Or the potential to eat the wall on lap 2 like Truex did last night. I'll grant that missing Charlotte did indeed cost him the points guaranteed for starting and then finishing 36th. I'll agree that even one point would have given him the regular season title, regardless of what we think that's worth. Anything beyond that is wouldas and couldas.

For me, I just wanted the bragging rights. I believe Larson would join Harvick as the only driver of the playoff era with multiple regular season championships. It also entirely disputes the checkers or wreckers, running out of talent narrative. He's consistent enough to win 2 regular season championships in 4 years. And this year, he's averaged the most points per race by a solid 2 points.

2 out of the 4 seasons with HMS he's been the best points racer.

From an actual importance standpoint, it would have given him a larger lead over the field in terms of playoff points.

He's still the 1 seed, so losing out is meaningless, sure. But you want to see your guy get as much points as possible.

Larson was the regular season champ by all standards but title, imo. Most wins, most laps lead, most playoff points, most stage points, most overall points per race.

Kudos to Reddick. I shat on him all season long for being a choker and waved him off in this points battle. He nearly choked it still and got around Elliott for p10 to secure it.

That's one reason I said insignificant. Winning the season should pay more than winning a single race. It should give the winner a guaranteed lead over the competition.

Or the potential to eat the wall on lap 2 like Truex did last night. I'll grant that missing Charlotte did indeed cost him the points guaranteed for starting and then finishing 36th, and that even one point would have given him the regular season title. Anything beyond that is wouldas and couldas.
One point would be a tie, Larson would need 2 points.

Larson scored more playoff points with two stage wins and second for the season than Reddick did for winning the season. It's nothing but another band aid IMO. People thinks this means something? Not much IMO. What is more B.S. is that Reddick is 12 points out in the hoopty doodle reset. He was at the top of the points, now he is third?

Reddick was consistent all year, but hadnt been winning stages or races. And Bell / Larson were too good this year for Reddick's minimum stage points to matter.

Reddick was consistent all year, but hadnt been winning stages or races. And Bell / Larson were too good this year for Reddick's minimum stage points to matter.
That makes sense to you. Where I come from the leader in the points is the leader in the series.

So just to clarify…are you trying to say that Larson and Bell have been better than Reddick this year, despite Reddick finishing ahead of them in points? Where you ultimately finish at the end if each race should mean more than where you were running on lap 100 of a 300 lap race.

That makes sense to you. Where I come from the leader in the points is the leader in the series.

Of course it makes sense to me. The leader in the overall points doesn't reflect the claim that they've had the best season, to me, because teams don't execute seasons like that anymore. They don't need to be racing the accumulate the most points, so I don't think it makes sense to judge them by a criteria no single race team follows.
I

f there were no playoffs, Larson probably doesn't miss the 600, and he probably rides his points lead into the sunset.

That said, I don't like this iteration of the playoffs either.

So just to clarify…are you trying to say that Larson and Bell have been better than Reddick this year, despite Reddick finishing ahead of them in points? Where you ultimately finish at the end if each race should mean more than where you were running on lap 100 of a 300 lap race.

Bell, not really. Larson? Absolutely 100% has been better than Reddick.

Larson has more wins, more stage points, more laps lead, more playoff points, and scores, on average, more points per race than Reddick.

You can make the case against Bell, but Larson has had the strongest season thus far.

Based on his points per race, the math says he would have won the regular season championship by 33 points over Reddick had he ran the 26 races. The playoff format gave way for Larson to skip a race, but he absolutely has been better than Reddick. No one reasonable should be saying otherwise.

Season-long consistency; there's an interesting historical concept...

It was a broken system then, and if they go back to a season long format, it would need to be heavily tweaked to emphasize winning and stage wins.

Larson's season long consistency this year is because of his stage points.

I think the way points are accumulated today is great. And if we had a 10 race chase for the championship like before, that would be better than anything we've ever had.

It was a broken system then, and if they go back to a season long format, it would need to be heavily tweaked to emphasize winning and stage wins.
Agreed.
Larson's season long consistency this year is because of his stage points.
And I have no problem with stage points. I see it as the modern version of the old 'Halfway Leader' bonus money. Just award the points and quit throwing the yellow at the end of the stages.
I think the way points are accumulated today is great. And if we had a 10 race chase for the championship like before, that would be better than anything we've ever had.
I've thought from Day One that ten races was too many, too large a percentage of the 36-race season. Sixteen drivers is certainly too many, too much of the field. That leads to what some stick and ball leagues have, where the majority of the field advances and the regular season is pointless. Ten drivers maximum (five would be better), total points over five to seven races. No eliminations, no separating the playoff drivers mathematically from the rest of the field. Top drivers get an asterisk by their names indicating they're in the playoff, and points are scored the same as during the regular season. If you're in and wreck for the first three races, you're still in but if you can't dig out, you deserve wherever you wind up at the end.

It's a statement of fact, are you having a hard time with that? The point was to look up three or 4 posts and see how the points have changed lol. Abra cadabera, Reddick the points champion is now in 3rd place.
I mean I agree with what you say, my point is the regular season championship is largely irrelevant in the grand scheme of this system and that the doubters are making it out to be more than what it is in terms of Larson missing Charlotte being tied to him winning the Championship

Back
Top Bottom