Cup RACE thread --- Daytona

Getting close to pit stops. I really hope Chase drops back before he runs out of gas this time and doesn’t do it in front of this many cars in the pack.

Same man. 31 here. Superspeedway racing wasn't like this in the early 2000s. They weren't packed up like this. More movement, more independent runs. The era dominated by Stewart, Gordon and Dale Jr had more spacing and cars could generate runs on their own and ride them out for multiple laps.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Kind of. Daytona had more separation than Talladega because of the bumps but I VERY vividly remember FOX and NBC spamming the “can you believe we have X number of cars within a half second” line repeatedly in those days.

Larson can either help or flounder around and fall to the back like he usually does. He might actually learn something
No, there's no hope. He's destined to wreck or make a bad decision no matter what .

Probably both lol

Kind of. Daytona had more separation than Talladega because of the bumps but I VERY vividly remember FOX and NBC spamming the “can you believe we have X number of cars within a half second” line repeatedly in those days.
Kevin Harvick went from sixth to first in a half lap when Mark Martin got robbed of his Daytona 500 win.

They totally did that.

Yes, but Dale was ahead of his time and he wouldn't stand out nearly as much. Especially in there cars and in this package. Cars sre just way too stuck together. Late era gen 4 had cars run car lengths apart. They're all on YouTube. Go check it out. It was totally a chess match, but there was absolutely more room for cars to make moves that didn't destroy track position.

I think Dale would be leagues ahead of guys today. A lot of these guys are piss poor plate racers, they just run over each other. It’s the equivalent of dumping the chess pieces on the floor and ****ting on the board.

Yes, but Dale was ahead of his time and he wouldn't stand out nearly as much. Especially in there cars and in this package. Cars sre just way too stuck together. Late era gen 4 had cars run car lengths apart. They're all on YouTube. Go check it out. It was totally a chess match, but there was absolutely more room for cars to make moves that didn't destroy track position.

what race?

I think Dale would be leagues ahead of guys today. A lot of these guys are piss poor plate racers, they just run over each other. It’s the equivalent of dumping the chess pieces on the floor and ****ting on the board.
I don't think Dale Sr was that much better than Stewart, Dale Jr and Gordon. I also think there are WAY more good plate racers than when Dale raced. Dale would still be elite and probably the best, but he wouldn't stand out like he did in the 80s. Not a chance.

Because it’s become “I see (manufacturer), I push (manufacturer), and on the last lap I make a move or make a late block and crash everyone.”

Wow such teamwork for the #11. Helping make sure Denny gets his weekly penalty without having to do it all himself tonight. Great job guys!
It’s only regular season, but there’s a title on the line. Denny’s gotta Denny. It’s the way of the universe

This has been a damn good race so far. Strategy. Comers and goers. Old school summer Daytona race.

I don't think Dale Sr was that much better than Stewart, Dale Jr and Gordon. I also think there are WAY more good plate racers than when Dale raced. Dale would still be elite and probably the best, but he wouldn't stand out like he did in the 80s. Not a chance.

Stewart, Dale Jr., and Gordon are also elite tier plate racers though. I think a lot of the current guys bought into the “lol it’s a lottery” bull**** (see Kyle Busch saying the Daytona 500 isn’t a real race) and because of that, plate racing isn’t a skill a lot of these guys care about.

Fun seeing the 21 lead at Daytona (for a lap or two).

Stewart, Dale Jr., and Gordon are also elite tier plate racers though. I think a lot of the current guys bought into the “lol it’s a lottery” bull**** (see Kyle Busch saying the Daytona 500 isn’t a real race) and because of that, plate racing isn’t a skill a lot of these guys care about.
I agree. But I do think there are MORE competent plate racers today then back then though.

Hamlin, both Penske guys, Blaney, Stenhouse, Elliott,Bubba, Kenseth (for example) just seem like more competent plate racers than the beef of Dale's competition

The Daytona 500 also used to matter more than anything in the sport. Championship included. It was the Masters, Super Bowl, Wimbledon of the sport. Dale Earnhardt won everything the sport had to offer but that one race. When he finally won it was maybe the biggest moment in NASCAR history. And the biggest of Dale’s legendary career.

Between playoffs, stages, plate package rules changes, and the younger generation’s overall apathy towards it. It’s been watered down to just another lottery that guys like Trevor Bayne, Ricky Stenhouse and Michael McDowell can win.

Real mature of Ty to not block there..

Nasty hit got Blaney. Glad he's okay.

time to go do the dishes.... hope everyone is ok.

Back
Top Bottom